?'s Playoff seeding, district champs, home field advantage

Rattlin Steele

4 minutes ago, Rattlin Steele said:

Can someone fill me in or provide a link on how hosting sites are determined?    I was under the impression that district champions would host 1st round.  Apparently not?  Thanks!

With the new format district champions are not automatically gifted seeds 1-4 which are all the seeds that host in the first round. 

depending on SOS & record you can be a district champion but be seeded as a 5th or 6th seed. & have to travel in the first round. 

My understanding boils down to this:  Seeding is all based on the FHSAA Power Rankings.  District champs who are in the top four seeds will host a first round game.   A district champ who is seeded 5-8 only hosts their first-round game if they are playing a higher seed that did not win their district.  So, if a district champ is seeded 7, they play the number 2 seed.  If that 2 seed also is district champ, the 2 seed hosts.  However, if that 2 seed did not win their district, the 7 seed would host the first round.   

After the first round, any references to district champion become moot and host site is determined solely by seeding. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

So, if a district champ is seeded 7, they play the number 2 seed.  If that 2 seed also is district champ, the 2 seed hosts.  However, if that 2 seed did not win their district, the 7 seed would host the first round.   

Thank you for the complete explanation.  Given the converse of your example above, a #7 district champ hosts against a #2 non-champ, which is the case with my favorite team (#2 Niceville).

Good to know the latter statement as well.  We should host next round if we get by Nease.

There are some weird home/away results games due to this new format.  #1 seed Berkeley for 2M region 2 has to play at @8 seed Middleton since Middleton is a district winner while Berkeley was not.  Weird to see a #1 seed who is not a district winner.  Also, 8-2 Pace HS got left out of the playoffs because of too many non-top 8 ranked district winners in it's region.

9 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

There are some weird home/away results games due to this new format.  #1 seed Berkeley for 2M region 2 has to play at @8 seed Middleton since Middleton is a district winner while Berkeley was not.  Weird to see a #1 seed who is not a district winner.  Also, 8-2 Pace HS got left out of the playoffs because of too many non-top 8 ranked district winners in it's region.

That right there, seems like a miscarriage of justice. I guess they were in the toughest district in the region and lost a critical district game.