Mainland Buccaneers - 21 ST Augustine Yellow Jackets - 19

Dan in Daytona

The Bucs kicked a field goal as time expired to win their second state championship in a 100+ year history. Early on after running back the opening kickoff for a touchdown and then blocking a Mainland field goal attempt with then a long scoop and score touchdown, St Augustine appeared ready to blow Mainland off the field 13-0 just like Hollywood Chaminade did to CCC in the day's opening game of the Florida football championships. Only difference was Mainland's defense wasn't having any of that and held the Yellow Jackets too under 50 yards total offense and no more points in the entire first half. Their season scoring average was over 43 points per game.  The Bucs then scored 18 straight points in the second half to finally take the lead 18-13. Mainland's offensive star of the game was QB DJ Murray who passed for more than 200 yards and run for 175 yards. He has lead the way throughout the playoffs and most of the regular season. I sure am proud to be a Buccaneer this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take another 20 years to get that 3rd championship. No way I make it.  :)

Speaking of 20 years ago..... Almost to the day Mainland won it's first championship 20 years ago in 2003. In the early game (of two) that year Chaminade-Madonna won it's first championship over Madison County. Yesterday Chaminade wins the early game, Mainland the middle game and Madison loses the nightcap.  How's that for a 20year repeat.   

• Dan in Daytona changed the title to Mainland Buccaneers - 21 ST Augustine Yellow Jackets - 19

I watched the entire game. St Augustine made a lot of mistakes that cost them the game. The drop touchdown pass then missed field goal towards the end was killer. You can’t make those kind of mistakes against a team like Mainland. It was a wildly entertaining 2nd half. The fans definitely got their moneys worth. 

The computers got it right. It was the most competitive game. I can’t see how other game is gonna top it 

6 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

The Bucs kicked a field goal as time expired to win their second state championship in a 100+ year history. Early on after running back the opening kickoff for a touchdown and then blocking a Mainland field goal attempt with then a long scoop and score touchdown, St Augustine appeared ready to blow Mainland off the field 13-0 just like Hollywood Chaminade did to CCC in the day's opening game of the Florida football championships. Only difference was Mainland's defense wasn't having any of that and held the Yellow Jackets too under 50 yards total offense and no more points in the entire first half. Their season scoring average was over 43 points per game.  The Bucs then scored 18 straight points in the second half to finally take the lead 18-13. Mainland's offensive star of the game was QB DJ Murray who passed for more than 200 yards and run for 175 yards. He has lead the way throughout the playoffs and most of the regular season. I sure am proud to be a Buccaneer this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take another 20 years to get that 3rd championship. No way I make it.  :)

Speaking of 20 years ago..... Almost to the day Mainland won it's first championship 20 years ago in 2003. In the early game (of two) that year Chaminade-Madonna won it's first championship over Madison County. Yesterday Chaminade wins the early game, Mainland the middle game and Madison loses the nightcap.  How's that for a 20year repeat.   

Both teams fought like champions last night and always tough when one has to lose.  You are spot on about the QB for Mainland as we experienced firsthand what he could do and was certainly the main difference in our loss to them in the regular season. Both teams made some mistakes, missed field goals, and any other excuse one can make with difference being Mainland able to finish the job while St. Augustine did not.  Congrats to your Bucs!!