Lakeland (8-2) at Plant (10-0)

gwdrum75

Lakeland comes into this game after a solid win against Wiregrass Ranch. Plant blew out Winter Haven. Lakeland has been an erratic team this year, sometimes even within the same game. If they can minimize the mental mistakes and penalties, they can challenge Plant. But they can't have a 4 fumble performance (Kathleen), or spot their opponent a 23-7 lead (Winter Haven) and expect to even be close. 

Last year, Lakeland won this matchup on the strength of a first half passing game and a second half running game, along with solid defense. Plant will likely not make the mistake of single covering James Robinson this year. That could provide an opening for AJ Davis to get a better start than he did in last years game. 

AJ Davis had 231 yards rushing and three TDs against Wiregrass Ranch last week. 

First Meeting: 1930 - Lakeland 12, Plant 0

Last meeting: 2015 - Lakeland 21, Plant 11

Bill Castle Era (Lakeland leads 5-2):

1979 - Lakeland 13 Plant 12 - Playoffs

1984 - Lakeland 19 Plant 9  - Playoffs

1997 - Lakeland 43 Plant 0

1998 - Lakeland 63 Plant 0

2009 - Plant 20 Lakeland 0  - Playoffs

2010 - Plant 48 Lakeland 6  - Playoffs

2015 - Lakeland 21 Plant 11 - Playoffs

Common Opponents:

Wiregrass Ranch - Lakeland 43-20, Plant 36-14

Winter Haven - Lakeland 35-23, Plant 59-6

2016 Opponent records:

Lakeland 46-50

Plant 45-54

Last undefeated team Lakeland faced in the playoffs:

2012 vs Kissimmee Osceola, 16-2 loss

Plant:

Points For: 461

Points Against: 98

Lakeland:

Points For: 373

Points Against: 127

Pinkos pick: Plant by 21

Game will be televised on Spectrum Sports (Formerly Bright House Sports Network)

Game may be webcast at LakelandFootball.com

Does Robinson still play defense or is he only at WR ? He is a different style player that teams need to account for

He is out there pretty regularly on defense. IMO, he may be better at that position than WR. He has a couple of picks this year and his height is a major advantage.

Likely will not see him on punt return (see the Kathleen game). Sometimes tries to do a bit too much when he gets put in that position. Kathleen's last two possessions in that game went 3 & out. They punted and he let the ball hit him without covering on both occasions (inside the 20 yard line). Set up Kathleen's game winning touchdown and killed a good opportunity for Lakeland to tie it up.

For me, this game is really up to Lakeland. If they play the way they are capable of, they can hang with Plant. But sometimes the dumb unforced mistakes take over. Hopefully they'll come into this game ready since they are such heavy underdogs.

I agree with you on Robinson playing defense. I have not seen him play since the Spring game vs Venice in which he was very opposing on defense. Big kid and plently to offer.

In the KOC Plant I thought over looked Venice and took them maybe lightly, At one point the conditioning of their players was suspect. They are from all accounts a very diffrent team that I saw way back in August.

Oh I was asking if you think Lakeland a bigger threat to plant then Viera?

I think Lakeland and Viera are two different animals. Lakeland has tons of talent. When they put mistake-free play with that talent, they are a dangerous team. Viera doesn't have the talent that Lakeland has, but they seem to play mistake-free, fundamental football more often than not.

You should not see him out on punt return this week. He got caught out there last week because Wiregrass' QB is also their punter. They weren't sure if they were going to kick or go for it and he didn't sub out. You'll mainly see Daquan Devine (#13) out there on PR from now on.