Transfers 2017

Zoe Boy

Just a thought. I am wondering how all of these players, that transfer from one school to another, are able to get to their new school? I know that transferring from any school in Florida to another school in Florida is now valid in the state of Florida. However, some of the schools may be long distances away from their original school. I would imagine that bus transportation is only provided for your school in the original school district. I would also think that few families can just up and move to a new school district. In some cases the players themselves may be able to drive their cars or their parents may drive them. Since so many players are now transferring every 5 minutes I'm wondering how they accomplish the transportation issue?

Just a thought. I am wondering how all of these players, that transfer from one school to another, are able to get to their new school? I know that transferring from any school in Florida to another school in Florida is now valid in the state of Florida. However, some of the schools may be long distances away from their original school. I would imagine that bus transportation is only provided for your school in the original school district. I would also think that few families can just up and move to a new school district. In some cases the players themselves may be able to drive their cars or their parents may drive them. Since so many players are now transferring every 5 minutes I'm wondering how they accomplish the transportation issue?

In heavily populated, urban areas this is less of a problem. Thus, in Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Jacksonville, it is not as difficult as it may seem. Further, the distance from South Broward County to North Dade County is not that far and many of the schools on either side of the border are closer to each other than other schools in their own county may be. This applies to Orlando as well where Wekiva and Apopka which are in Orange County are both within eight miles of Lake Brantley, which is in Seminole County and some of the kids zoned for Apopka/Wekiva are actually closer to Lake Brantley than than they are to their zoned school.

Other factors to consider: the kid may have relatives in the new zone regardless of county of residence; the kid may drive; the kid may be able to get a ride from "a helpful adult." In large urban areas, the the new transfer rules are much more helpful than in less populated areas in the state. 

The end result of the above is that, at least in the short run, it is going to get increasingly difficult for public schools in less dense population areas of the state to win, or for that matter go deep, in the playoffs. 

Spot on DarterBlue2.  The other factors, I would add is in recent years the counties in urban areas sometimes expand school zones to prevent crowding and to try to balance crowding and enrollments.  When this happens the student can choose from multiple schools and transportation is provided accordingly via county school bus.  It is not uncommon to have 5+ high schools in a 5 mile radius in some urban areas.

Another small factor is I believe in urban areas there are more renters and less home home-owners per capita which generally may lead to more families moving.

Jacksonville also has a public transportation system so if someone really wanted to they can use that and pick any school in duval county to attend

Same in Dade and Broward. For the most part, if you're in Miami-Dade County and can take the bus. Certain places you can take the Metrorail. Booker T Washington is steps from one train stop.

Same in Dade and Broward. For the most part, if you're in Miami-Dade County and can take the bus. Certain places you can take the Metrorail. Booker T Washington is steps from one train stop.

Or for that matter, in a good part of Metro Orlando. Bottom line is: large, urban counties are going to provide a huge advantage for schools that want to strengthen their programs under the new rules. 

Well then, what happens to the players that want to play for one of the powers, such as BTW, Miami Central, Cocoa, Manatee, Lakeland, etc. and they live in other parts of Florida. Because, I'm assuming these players are transferring to play for a much better team with more opportunities. I somehow don't think that a lot of transferring is going on between some of those close by schools. I might be wrong and that many of the transfers are coming about that are only a quick jog away.

Well then, what happens to the players that want to play for one of the powers, such as BTW, Miami Central, Cocoa, Manatee, Lakeland, etc. and they live in other parts of Florida. Because, I'm assuming these players are transferring to play for a much better team with more opportunities. I somehow don't think that a lot of transferring is going on between some of those close by schools. I might be wrong and that many of the transfers are coming about that are only a quick jog away.

Cocoa is at the center of Brevard and it is easier for students to transfer to Cocoa.Plus Brevard also has public transportation. I believe for students it is very cheap to ride the metro buses, and they stop about a block from the high school.

Pretty big one here...

2018 DB Bryand Rincher has transferred from Piper to Blanche Ely.

Side note- Rincher was the 2016 4A 100m State Champion. Also, Rincher only ran a couple of track meets this year very early season and breezed to a blazing 10.3. Has not run since late Feb/early March though...which may be relative to the transfer.

And perhaps another big move....

Central FL or any posters, can you confirm that 2018, 4* WR, Texas commit, Justin Watkins has transferred from Vanguard to East Ridge?

Confirmed. It is a big deal. Not sure how good East Ridge is going to be, though. They have yet to recover from the opening of Lake Minneola. 

Confirmed. It is a big deal. Not sure how good East Ridge is going to be, though. They have yet to recover from the opening of Lake Minneola.

Definitely a blow to Vanguard. Apparently a lot of kids in the Ocala area have been landing at East Ridge the last few years. Any chance East Ridge could be a sleeper team if they get a couple more horses?

When you say other parts from fla you mean like a kid transferring from Naples to a dade or Broward power and still lives in Naples?

Kids in south Florida definitely transfer to close by schools. A kid transferred to Booker T Washington to Miami Senior, which is a couple miles. Kids have gone from Northwestern to Edison to BTW. The West and Edison are about 2 miles from each other. Carol City to Norland is another example.

Definitely a blow to Vanguard. Apparently a lot of kids in the Ocala area have been landing at East Ridge the last few years. Any chance East Ridge could be a sleeper team if they get a couple more horses?

East Ridge was a very solid team from 2003 through 2007. Was well coached and had solid talent, and had something like a  40 game regular season win streak at one stage including one over Apopka. I remember one second round playoff game between them and Edgewater which was won by Edgewater by less than a touchdown, drew like 5-7 thousand fans. East Ridge's stadium is in a mini valley and I remember a lot of fans watched the game for free from the top of the hill surrounding the stadium. The lead changed hands several times during the game before Edgewater pulled it out on a big play score and then a goal line stand.

East Ridge is under "new management" today. However, if some of the Lake Minneola kids return, as well as the better South Lake kids, and if they continue to draw transfers from Ocala or elsewhere, I could certainly see them being a factor going forward. It helps that they play in a wide open district which has had average talent recently; so making the playoffs should not be that difficult, as they will probably win the district. 

When you say other parts from fla you mean like a kid transferring from Naples to a dade or Broward power and still lives in Naples?

Basically yes. If a player is transferring to another school it is to get with the best team they can. I can't see the reasoning behind transferring from BTW to MNW. What would the gain be in that? Now, if you are a player who is an outstanding one and your current team is going no where then you're looking to join  a team that is a world beater and that will give you the best opportunity to showcase your talents and have a better chance at a D-1 scholarship regardless of where that team is. That would be the smart thing to do if you are going to go to all of the trouble to transfer from one school to another. I'm quite sure that there are quite a few players who transfer to other schools that are many miles or counties away. I'm just wondering how they do that? Does the family move or what?

That would be the smart thing to do if you are going to go to all of the trouble to transfer from one school to another. I'm quite sure that there are quite a few players who transfer to other schools that are many miles or counties away. I'm just wondering how they do that? Does the family move or what?

How do the students commute to your private school? Do some of the students pass more than one public school on their commute to your private school? I ask those two questions because if you have an answer to those questions then you probably have an answer to your own post.

How do the students commute to your private school? Do some of the students pass more than one public school on their commute to your private school? I ask those two questions because if you have an answer to those questions then you probably have an answer to your own post.

That part...

Basically yes. If a player is transferring to another school it is to get with the best team they can. I can't see the reasoning behind transferring from BTW to MNW. What would the gain be in that? Now, if you are a player who is an outstanding one and your current team is going no where then you're looking to join a team that is a world beater and that will give you the best opportunity to showcase your talents and have a better chance at a D-1 scholarship regardless of where that team is. That would be the smart thing to do if you are going to go to all of the trouble to transfer from one school to another. I'm quite sure that there are quite a few players who transfer to other schools that are many miles or counties away. I'm just wondering how they do that? Does the family move or what?

Well Miami Dade is unique.. Billy Joseph for example.. Won a chip with BTW his freshman year and left to MNW his following year which he played a lot as a freshman... Marloyn can't remember his last name... Won 2 championship with BTW left to Chaminade last year and now is at MNW... BTW has a great program but why leave it if your winning? Yea kids want to win down here but they would leave a school in a hot min... Ain't nobody leaving Naples to come play at a BTW or MNW still living at Naples... Family would have to move over here.... MNW and BTW is like 10 mins away from each other...