Dear Floridians: A Hurricane Irma Thread

DisabledAccount

2 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Okay you guys in South Florida. For those that stay... find a block or brick area to ride it out, wood homes are very risky with winds over 90 mph, good luck and stay safe.

Tip;

South Florida; if an alligator hits the side of your house, don't go outside to skin it, it's a trick the hurricane uses to try to lure you out.

Central Florida; same if a dolphin hits your house. Don't try to rescue it... it's done.

North Florida East; If FSU guy starts pounding on your door cause his wooden house blew down... let em in but lock him in the bathroom. Specially if you have $32 worth of crab legs and crawfish in the frig. 

North Florida West; If a UF girl knocks on your door cause she wants to party... let her in and enjoy the show.

Lol what about North Central Florida folk like me 

36 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

What are my fellow South Floridians doing? Y'all staying? Leaving? Left? 

I'll be staying...Prepared for a power loss for 2 weeks. Not overly worried about flooding where I am at.., biggest fear is the wind.... If my roof blows off or my hurricane proof windows break, I got big problems...Biggest fear is the roof.  I have the ceramic barrel hurricane style that got a little messed up in Wilma - but this ain't Wilma.  

I found it interesting that they cancelled school in Broward and Dade for Thursday and Friday and Broward had a mandatory evacuation order east of A1A but Dade did not...  So if you are in a high rise in Hallandale by the beach it is a mandatory evacuation but your neighboring high rise building in Aventura is not ... tens if not hundreds of thousands of people over in that area ....:unsure:

Please take this one serious, everyone.  Don't underestimate the danger of small puddles that may have high voltage running through them....

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  Stay safe!

6 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'll be staying...Prepared for a power loss for 2 weeks. Not overly worried about flooding where I am at.., biggest fear is the wind.... If my roof blows off or my hurricane proof windows break, I got big problems...Biggest fear is the roof.  I have the ceramic barrel hurricane style that got a little messed up in Wilma - but this ain't Wilma.  

I found it interesting that they cancelled school in Broward and Dade for Thursday and Friday and Broward had a mandatory evacuation order east of A1A but Dade did not...  So if you are in a high rise in Hallandale by the beach it is a mandatory evacuation but your neighboring high rise building in Aventura is not ... tens if not hundreds of thousands of people over in that area ....:unsure:

Please take this one serious, everyone.  Don't underestimate the danger of small puddles that may have high voltage running through them....

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  Stay safe!

It's crazy no 1 can directly give a report on the storm & what is it doing & is it a catastrophe storm or not is hit south Florida or not like what the hell this is crazy knowing a storm "worse then Andrew" is out there & they say if it hit us it will be Saturday early Sunday & it's Thursday & they still can't give us anything like maaaaan

1 hour ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

It's crazy no 1 can directly give a report on the storm & what is it doing & is it a catastrophe storm or not is hit south Florida or not like what the hell this is crazy knowing a storm "worse then Andrew" is out there & they say if it hit us it will be Saturday early Sunday & it's Thursday & they still can't give us anything like maaaaan

First of all you need to look at da Euro model because thats the one that has been doing the best with Irma track and thats the one that has been showing a Florida Landfall but most of these local Mets keep postin the GFS model showing East but GFS hasn't performed very well.....Please just listen to NHC because they have been nailing storm tracks this year....

Note that Euro also predicted a Texas landfall for Texas before other models did and it verified...stay safe please

15 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

First of all you need to look at da Euro model because thats the one that has been doing the best with Irma track and thats the one that has been showing a Florida Landfall but most of these local Mets keep postin the GFS model showing East but GFS hasn't performed very well.....Please just listen to NHC because they have been nailing storm tracks this year....

Note that Euro also predicted a Texas landfall for Texas before other models did and it verified...stay safe please

Been Tryna go off channel 7 but they just recite the same old junk we don't know we don't know Florida not even takn this serious cuz they doing all this but still no verification of it even hitting Florida that's why nobody has border they house or nothing they just waiting to here like all the other times it's not coming it's going the other way.

20 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Been Tryna go off channel 7 but they just recite the same old junk we don't know we don't know Florida not even takn this serious cuz they doing all this but still no verification of it even hitting Florida that's why nobody has border they house or nothing they just waiting to here like all the other times it's not coming it's going the other way.

I've found NBC6 is better. I still use 7 as a back up at times but I think John Morales on 6 is being much more transparent. He's also saying we're not 100% sure but the way he words and explains everything has been helpful

15 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

I've found NBC6 is better. I still use 7 as a back up at times but I think John Morales on 6 is being much more transparent. He's also saying we're not 100% sure but the way he words and explains everything has been helpful

When is channel 6 news updates ? Or times and at 1 point I was nervous a little scared cuz of the catastrophic storm this is and what it will do if it hits Florida but I've seen this story time and time again it's Thursday they say if it hit it's suppose to hit late Saturday and u meaning to tell me 48 hours away I still don't know if we're getting a hurricane or not at some point In time it should be at a certain distance where they know hey it's coming so get ready all this uncertainty brings mixed emotions man 

8 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

When is channel 6 news updates ? Or times and at 1 point I was nervous a little scared cuz of the catastrophic storm this is and what it will do if it hits Florida but I've seen this story time and time again it's Thursday they say if it hit it's suppose to hit late Saturday and u meaning to tell me 48 hours away I still don't know if we're getting a hurricane or not at some point In time it should be at a certain distance where they know hey it's coming so get ready all this uncertainty brings mixed emotions man 

They can't guarantee because it can shift any moment but by time they do know it would be too late to evacuate 

Dillard just play it safe and board up the windows, it's easier to put it up then to take chance and then have flying shrapnel in your living room

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They can't guarantee because it can shift any moment but by time they do know it would be too late to evacuate 

Dillard just play it safe and board up the windows, it's easier to put it up then to take chance and then have flying shrapnel in your living room

It's 2017 soon to be 2018 u mean to tell me technology isn't up to date yet where it can track a storm 2 days before hit some where possible killing hundreds its like a dam surprise whoopppsss Saturday come guess what still no word then Saturday evening it's coming in the morning Wht the heck

Just now, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

It's 2017 soon to be 2018 u mean to tell me technology isn't up to date yet where it can track a storm 2 days before hit some where possible killing hundreds its like a dam surprise whoopppsss Saturday come guess what still no word then Saturday evening it's coming in the morning Wht the heck

It's because there are different things that can impact the hurricane's direction. 

In general (not specifically Irma) ....

1) It making contact on some of these other countries can alter its speed/direction 
2) Water temps can have impact
3) Other weather related things out there can have an impact on hurricanes (which is what is happening now) 

More on #3: A couple days ago, there was something come from the north that we were hoping would push Irma more east into the Atlantic, lessening our impact. However, it didn't go as we had hoped so now it is not as far east into the Atlantic as we had been hoping it would go. 

11 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Hurricanes are like tornadoes, they have a lot of knowledge of them but anything can happen in a short time that change what they do 

Hope everyone stays safe this weekend with the storm! 

Just as a quick note, if you guys are able to do a quick check-in or two at any point this weekend after the storm has gone through your area, feel free to post into this thread. I'd love to check in and see a-okays from users who are able to. 

11 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Hope everyone stays safe this weekend with the storm! 

Just as a quick note, if you guys are able to do a quick check-in or two at any point this weekend after the storm has gone through your area, feel free to post into this thread. I'd love to check in and see a-okays from users who are able to

Will do. You stay safe, too!

Hey if anyone is still evacuating Tallahassee shelters are filling fast,  Pensacola hotels are full,  Valdosta/Lowndes county announced hotels shelters are full no food or water left in stores.  I 10 west   Highway 20 west are backed up.  Best bet may be Highway 2 west it is right at the state line.