Vero 2017

Jimmyb1980

As a Vero fan for the past 10 years I would like to give a honest opinion of this years team since it seems there is either cynicism or hysteria when describing there chances. This offense is different then in years past were we have relied on one really good WR and a bunch of secondary receivers this year we have no clear cut #1. We have used Dixon better than years past under coach J who I Felt had abandoned the run in a lot of games to throw more. Most seasons it seems our offense started the year really well and didn’t really progress any and relied on 5-7 plays continually until the playoffs were we found a defense that stopped our one big threat and keyed in on favorite plays and shut us down...Defense is where I believe this years team is different. In years past we’ve had a bend don’t break defense that relied on our offense to help put pressure on opponents offense to keep scoring. This years defense is the best front to back we’ve had under coach J..Reese up front Johnson in the middle and Granville in the secondary makes Veros defense a strength not a weak link..special teams under coach J has been good and bad we always seem to have a good kicker our punter is usually subpar and our punt and kickoff teams have been BAD! This year special team units phenomenally better than in years past. This coaching staff and team have also done a better job of dominating the teams they should and have beat good teams while not playing there best. I’m not gonna crown them but I would not bet against Vero at home first of all and this year I feel like we have a better chance against the Dr. Phillips and Miramar’s in 8a then in the past! 

Your assessment is a good one. VB has two things going for it this year. 1. Overall, as you pretty much said, the team is probably a bit better than it has been the past four or five years. 2. While there are several good 8A teams in both the North and South brackets that will extend VB, there is no one team that is a clear cut favorite against them. 

At this stage, going into the playoffs, I would assess VB's chances to be as good as any of the other 8A teams considered State contenders. Will they win it all? Only time will tell. 

Good analysis, as a Vero fan for over 30+ years and as a former player, Vero has a good team this year, but they have been in this exact position many times, lofty record heading into the playoffs, only to be derailed once they play a team of their caliber or better. 

in my opinion, Vero's problem again this season will be how they handle the adversity once they go down by 1, 2 or even 3 TD's, its been a while since the Oscar Smith, Pahokee games and nobody has really challenged them since. Viera had Vero down and had it not been for the 7 turnovers, would have beat them.

If this years Vero team is truly different, they will fight back once down to the likes of Osceola, DP, etc, rather that how they have handled it in years past.

1 hour ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

As a Vero fan for the past 10 years I would like to give a honest opinion of this years team since it seems there is either cynicism or hysteria when describing there chances. This offense is different then in years past were we have relied on one really good WR and a bunch of secondary receivers this year we have no clear cut #1. We have used Dixon better than years past under coach J who I Felt had abandoned the run in a lot of games to throw more. Most seasons it seems our offense started the year really well and didn’t really progress any and relied on 5-7 plays continually until the playoffs were we found a defense that stopped our one big threat and keyed in on favorite plays and shut us down...Defense is where I believe this years team is different. In years past we’ve had a bend don’t break defense that relied on our offense to help put pressure on opponents offense to keep scoring. This years defense is the best front to back we’ve had under coach J..Reese up front Johnson in the middle and Granville in the secondary makes Veros defense a strength not a weak link..special teams under coach J has been good and bad we always seem to have a good kicker our punter is usually subpar and our punt and kickoff teams have been BAD! This year special team units phenomenally better than in years past. This coaching staff and team have also done a better job of dominating the teams they should and have beat good teams while not playing there best. I’m not gonna crown them but I would not bet against Vero at home first of all and this year I feel like we have a better chance against the Dr. Phillips and Miramar’s in 8a then in the past! 

You watched the Pahokee Centennial Olympic Heights Treasure Coast games because that's all they did was run

13 minutes ago, FloTech said:

I'm not impressed with the offense I liked last year's much better and we will find out if Vero really have a good O this year for playoffs

It was the mike smith show! Shut him down rest of team couldn’t win...this team spreads the ball out much better...Smith was amazing receiver but his numbers show he was overutilized to the detriment of the rest of the offense

6 minutes ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

It was the mike smith show! Shut him down rest of team couldn’t win...this team spreads the ball out much better...Smith was amazing receiver but his numbers show he was overutilized to the detriment of the rest of the offense

2016 also had that RB Duo last year this year it's athletes that's scoring for Vero Nick Celidonio will get shutdown in the playoffs I don't like his quarterbacking he's not as good as Stanley Proctor or Dean not even Stokes

1 minute ago, FloTech said:

2016 also had that RB Duo last year this year it's athletes that's scoring for Vero Nick Celidonio will get shutdown in the playoffs I don't like his quarterbacking he's not as good as Stanley Proctor or Dean not even Stokes

Your forgetting one thing. This is the biggest and strongest O Line Vero has ever had. Coupled with the biggest strongest running back they have ever had. So there isn't a big need for a heavy passing game. But if needed Nick can pass to one of the biggest quickest bunch of receivers Vero has ever had.

27 minutes ago, roygod said:

Your forgetting one thing. This is the biggest and strongest O Line Vero has ever had. Coupled with the biggest strongest running back they have ever had. So there isn't a big need for a heavy passing game. But if needed Nick can pass to one of the biggest quickest bunch of receivers Vero has ever had.

You know last years O line didn't allow any sacks this year had TWO in the Treasure Coast game Vero is a good team for only a half gonna need more than that for playoffs