Trinity Catholic

Sonofablitz

For anyone that likes the new point system...

TC has won 6 straight counting a 5a school forfeiting this week. They have a 6-3 record on the outside looking in. They have played only 1 3a team all season which was a victory. EVERY other game has been against teams of a higher classification. How do you keep this team out of the playoffs for teams that have played lower class teams that won more. It's ridiculous. Now after walking off of the field,victorious over a perennial playoff team,in a higher class, at their house...Thinking hey! We can make a run...The last game forfeits because they are already in and don't want anybody hurt..Now these young men are left with no final game and no playoffs. Is this what we are teaching? Play lesser opponents for opportunity? It's gutless football. What is this..Soccer?

Our country could use some comeback feel good stories. The team that TC just beat? Same team that frog stomped one of the higher classed teams that beat TC in the first of the season, just last week. Neither game was close. The better team now is emphatically Tc. I despise this system. It will kill rivalry games. How many rivalry games are between to teams of different classes? Why play them? The lower class team is in a lose lose.

1 hour ago, Sonofablitz said:

The last game forfeits because they are already in and don't want anybody hurt..Now these young men are left with no final game and no playoffs. 

Only going to address the forfeiture here ...

TC was set to play Jordan Christian Prep for the regular season finale. JCP is an independent team and thus is not "already in" the playoffs because they do not participate in the FHSAA playoffs. And, it doesn't appear that JCP is a member of an independent conference. (Someone correct me if I am wrong about JCP being a member of an independent conference.) 

Jordan Christian Prep is 7-1 but has played no team higher than class 2A. Most of the teams they defeated were in one of the Christian leagues or are independent. They knew they were in for a blowout by the Celtics this Friday and didn't want to make the trip all the way to Ocala just to look bad. If it's true that they forfeited this game then Coach Sturdivant should try to schedule one of the games that were cancelled due to the storms. One of them was Mount Dora.  I believe the other one was Admiral Farragut but not sure.

Exactly, Coach Sturdivant cant pull rabbits out of nowhere. Everybody else has a schedule as well. Mt. Dora REFUSED to make up that game. Why would they? The young men did what they needed to do, the coaches did a fine job, the system is silly. The recent decisions to turn Florida into the wild west where kids have no transfer rules, and this point system means what exactly? New leadership? If kids work their tails off and get beat by a technicality..whats that teach?

4 hours ago, Sonofablitz said:

Exactly, Coach Sturdivant cant pull rabbits out of nowhere. Everybody else has a schedule as well. Mt. Dora REFUSED to make up that game. Why would they? The young men did what they needed to do, the coaches did a fine job, the system is silly. The recent decisions to turn Florida into the wild west where kids have no transfer rules, and this point system means what exactly? New leadership? If kids work their tails off and get beat by a technicality..whats that teach?

I agree 100%.

I believe that if they forfeit Trinity will still get credit for the  win.  See below from FHSAA manual:

4.7.4.2.1 Cancellations/Postponements/Forfeits (a) A contest that is forfeited between schools shall count as a loss for the team forfeiting, and such forfeiting team shall receive wild card points for such forfeited loss. (b) Schools that are required to forfeit a game or games by the FHSAA the game or games shall count such contests as 8 2017-18 FHSAA Football Sport Manual one of the permissible contests under the 10 contest limitations for football. The school shall receive forfeit losses for those scheduled contests and shall be awarded wild card points for those forfeit losses. (c) Schools that must forfeit games at any time during the regular season will be placed into Category 1-4 based on final record with forfeits. Wild card points will be awarded to opposing teams based on the forfeiting team’s record at the time of seeding for postseason competition. (d) When a school’s varsity team is unable to complete the season, those remaining teams on that school’s regular season schedule shall receive forfeit wins for those scheduled contests. Points will be determined by the forfeiting team’s percentage of wins at the time of seeding for postseason competition.

I don't think a win would have given TC points because Jordan Christian Prep is not under the Fhsaa. My issue is that these boys don't even get a final game after winning 5 in a row. No underclassmen telling the seniors how much they love and appreciate them. Remember your last game? None of that. They leave after a victory over a team 2 classes higher on THEIR home field last week with nothing. Way to go Jordan _________ prep

I believe that all Florida high schools fall under the FHSAA. Jordan Christian Prep falls under the Freelance Classification just as IMG does. They are bound by all FHSAA rulings. They are statistically the top team in the Freelance Classification. Why they would not want to defend that position and instead take a forfeit loss is beyond me. I'm still hoping that Coach Sturdivant finds another team that will play the Celtics. Maybe one that will give them enough points, if they win, to get into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

And, IMO, that is why this entire points system is flawed. Regardless, I am hoping that the coach can schedule a team, even BTW, so that the players can get satisfaction playing their last game.

the rule was probably put in place so teams dont get suddenly dropped mid season by teams if they are far stronger then expected or not as good as they expected

3 hours ago, Proseteye said:

And, IMO, that is why this entire points system is flawed. Regardless, I am hoping that the coach can schedule a team, even BTW, so that the players can get satisfaction playing their last game.

rule was put into place so a team doesn't pick up a team week 11 when they see they are a few points shy of making it.  You can't drop a team without forfeiting unless their are circumstances like weather

3 hours ago, badbird said:

rule was put into place so a team doesn't pick up a team week 11 when they see they are a few points shy of making it.  You can't drop a team without forfeiting unless their are circumstances like weather

Well, Jordan Christian prep forfeited against Trinity which was to be Trinity's 9th game. Two regularly scheduled games were rained out and not made up. Have no idea if a win against Jordan would have given Trinity enough points to be in the playoffs because possibly other affiliated teams may have lost tonight giving Trinity a chance. Why would the FHSAA deny Trinity the opportunity to make up those two rained out games if Trinity wanted to schedule them? And, why would they not count since Trinity never had the opportunity to play them in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Well, Jordan Christian prep forfeited against Trinity which was to be Trinity's 9th game. Two regularly scheduled games were rained out and not made up. Have no idea if a win against Jordan would have given Trinity enough points to be in the playoffs because possibly other affiliated teams may have lost tonight giving Trinity a chance. Why would the FHSAA deny Trinity the opportunity to make up those two rained out games if Trinity wanted to schedule them? And, why would they not count since Trinity never had the opportunity to play them in the first place.

If they could have rescheduled the games would have counted 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If they could have rescheduled the games would have counted 

Correct. 

Pro - only games that weren't originally on the schedule don't count towards the points. For example, let's say Trinity was set to play Columbia but the game got rained out. If teams make it up weeks later, great -- the points count. If they can't find a new date and cancel it, Trinity can go ahead and schedule Aquinas, for example, but the Trinity/Aquinas game would not count towards points. 

2 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Correct. 

Pro - only games that weren't originally on the schedule don't count towards the points. For example, let's say Trinity was set to play Columbia but the game got rained out. If teams make it up weeks later, great -- the points count. If they can't find a new date and cancel it, Trinity can go ahead and schedule Aquinas, for example, but the Trinity/Aquinas game would not count towards points. 

Got it. Thanks.

Trinity Catholic plays in a very difficult region. CCC, Tampa Catholic, Lakeland Christian, OTC, Calvary Christian, Berkeley Prep. That's some fierce competition (SPC is also on the move upward, but needs another 2 years).  I didn't mention Sarasota Cardinal Mooney who would have been a contender if they didn't have to forfeit games.

This is a region that you can make the playoffs as a 1 loss team, probably make the playoffs as a 2 loss team; however, 3 losses is probably to much to overcome; sadly, OTC lost 3 games early and the teams they lost to laid an egg.

I think Trinity found a successful formula at the end of the 2017 season and I think JCP backing out of the week 11 game is of poor taste on their part.

The silver lining is that next year Berkeley Prep, Calvary and Cardinal Mooney are going to take a step back. LCS will be about the same, pending the QB situation after Whatley graduates (the 8th grade RB is very good). Tampa Catholic brings back all of their weapons and CCC should once again be contending for a state championship. If Trinity schedules correctly, the talent is there to be in the mix and/or be a favorite to be a higher seed in 2018.

5 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Trinity Catholic plays in a very difficult region. CCC, Tampa Catholic, Lakeland Christian, OTC, Calvary Christian, Berkeley Prep. That's some fierce competition (SPC is also on the move upward, but needs another 2 years).  I didn't mention Sarasota Cardinal Mooney who would have been a contender if they didn't have to forfeit games.

This is a region that you can make the playoffs as a 1 loss team, probably make the playoffs as a 2 loss team; however, 3 losses is probably to much to overcome; sadly, OTC lost 3 games early and the teams they lost to laid an egg.

I think Trinity found a successful formula at the end of the 2017 season and I think JCP backing out of the week 11 game is of poor taste on their part.

The silver lining is that next year Berkeley Prep, Calvary and Cardinal Mooney are going to take a step back. LCS will be about the same, pending the QB situation after Whatley graduates (the 8th grade RB is very good). Tampa Catholic brings back all of their weapons and CCC should once again be contending for a state championship. If Trinity schedules correctly, the talent is there to be in the mix and/or be a favorite to be a higher seed in 2018.

I'm surprised trinity catholic aint in region 1