AD's taking over programs

Coach

I was trying to get people's opinions on this: How do you guys feel about an AD stepping into the Head Football role? It seems weird to me that these schools like Bartow (last year) and Windermere would get 100+ applicants and the AD ends up with it. Don't get me wrong, I realize that each school has to do what is best for its own program and I also get that there are times it is needed (such as a mid-season resignation or termination). I just think it's weird to see. Thoughts?

The principal is supposed to oversee the athletic director so when something like this happens it's clear that the principal either one knows something we don't, two doesn't care how the athletics are run, or three doesn't have any real pull on the athletics which honestly makes no sense

This kind of stuff is why so many programs in Florida can never get better 

Yeah, my feeling is that it's kind of shady too. I just think that with so many applicants applying it's hard to fathom that none "passed the test" in terms of having potential. I mean, if an AD interviewed, say, 15 of 100 applicants and was unhappy with all of them I would think that's more on the members of the hiring committee than anything.

This is weird to me. I mean, in the Windermere case, it seems like he at least has experience coaching. But the search feels a bit disingenuous, but to me it's hard to fully tell.

If that's the case then idk who should run the search. In Texas, a lot of schools have the head football coach already as the AD. But they have a school board that approves hires. Idk, I wish I had a better opinion on this one lol but I'm really split on it.

If there was no committee and only the AD, then I would agree that everybody who applied for that job got kind of a raw deal. I wonder how many interviews happened before he made his decision. I just want to keep an eye out to see if some of these other former head coaches don't start trying to make moves back into the HFC chair. And, at a school like Windermere it seems weird. School was only one year old. Why didn't he apply to be the head coach instead of the AD last year? Maybe that's why Miller decided to leave after opening the school and only coaching the first season (although that's just speculation on my part at this point...)

1 hour ago, Coach said:

If there was no committee and only the AD, then I would agree that everybody who applied for that job got kind of a raw deal. I wonder how many interviews happened before he made his decision. I just want to keep an eye out to see if some of these other former head coaches don't start trying to make moves back into the HFC chair. And, at a school like Windermere it seems weird. School was only one year old. Why didn't he apply to be the head coach instead of the AD last year? Maybe that's why Miller decided to leave after opening the school and only coaching the first season (although that's just speculation on my part at this point...)

that place was a train wreck in year 1.  offense of the week, scored 6 points all year.  a veteran guy with some years under his belt should have been tabbed as the guy, in year 1, not after.

have heard the school itself(administratively) is similar to the train wreck that the football season was.  

not sure anyone even applied for that job, locally at least.  the chicken salad/chicken $hit adage, they didnt get any of the "dudes" from west orange.  anyone that was zoned for windermere, signed up for woodshop at west orange and didnt have to go.

funny how things work out like that huh.

There is no hiring committee, no overly aggressive parents when it comes to being an a.d. Getting an athletic director job is easy...sometimes its the person that gets stuck with it. Its also a back door for washed up coaches to get back in the mix with unethical practices as well apparently. Last ill say on it, but this stinks to high heaven. I know a couple that interviewed at windermere. No hiring committee, just the new "head coach". Dirty

An example of a program with a losing mentality due to interference from an AD and Principal.

In 2006 Mark Hinterthan, the previous OC for Trinity Catholic during their championship years, was offered the HC job of Lake Weir a team that had never had a winning season. By 2008 they had their first winning season 7-4 and went to the playoffs. In 2009 they were 8-3 and again went to the playoffs. In 2010 I  had heard that Mark was let go  by the AD due to disagreements about his coaching style. Apparently Mark was fielding the best players instead of who the AD and Principal thought he should be starting. I know Mark and he is not the type to put up with interference with his team. The result is that Lake Weir has not had a winning season since. Talk about not being able to handle success. Mark went on to be the HC at Williston which has had some successful years and post season appearances. ;)

As I read the article about Windermere High, it seems weird. You were the first athletic director, but you hired somebody else.
You are 64, but going to set a foundation for years to come?
Two of the new additions to the staff were already on staff at the school, why didn't you get them out previously?
If the search committee was really just the AD and he hired himself that seems weird. I would think the position of football coach (more than any other position) is usually at least the AD, Booster Club President/Rep, a teacher or two, and an administrator with a follow-up interview with the Principal.

Look, I get that schools have limited teaching spaces and the days of putting a coach in a classroom for him to show videos all day are over (at least in the age of FSA, FCAT, Common Core, etc), so maybe, this is about allowing a person to double up to save a teaching spot?