Girl Earns College Football Scholarship

OldSchoolLion

16 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I checked her hudl and all her hi-lites are from practice.  Sounds like a PC stunt by the college.  Good for her for sticking with football and she will get an education paid for.  For all she has probably endured playing a mans game I'm glad it paid off for her.  

13 minutes ago, badbird said:

I checked her hudl and all her hi-lites are from practice.  Sounds like a PC stunt by the college

So, she is not very good, huh? At least not by male standards? Why am I not surprised. 

Just like you have women's soccer in high schools, if enough females want to play football, then make it a separate league.

Having young women (girls) playing football with males just increases the odds that bad things happen, giving enemies of the sport more reason to seek its ban. I would not allow a daughter of mine to play tackle football. 

Every super hero is now a femal;e if you havent noticed. A girl just took over star wars and women just marched against the President. Every famous white male is a sex predator....now a female college football player. This is just a stunt for attention. I saw the film. Its taking a scholarship away from near any boy to get some press. Its a girl.  

3 hours ago, Sonofablitz said:

Every super hero is now a femal;e if you havent noticed. A girl just took over star wars and women just marched against the President. Every famous white male is a sex predator....now a female college football player. This is just a stunt for attention. I saw the film. Its taking a scholarship away from near any boy to get some press. Its a girl.  

Okay, lets say they are doing it to get some press. It's an NAIA school, not Clemson. Pretty sure they'll take publicity and if they get a few more applications and new students, then it's worth it. Then, as @dawgs said, it's a partial athletic scholarship. The young lady will still have to get other scholarships from the school or outside, loans, grants, work study, etc.

From a pure football standpoint, if she were to play, I'd imagine she'd be at cornerback. Much easier to see a 5'5" player at corner than safety.

Lastly, don't put women doing good things to white males as sex predators. That's not the women's fault that those men committed those crimes. You seem upset that one young lady got a partial scholarship at a small school. Not sure why

Maybe we should focus less on the scholarship and more on her whole story..a young lady with a less-than-ideal upbringing who is overcoming odds on many fronts.  Somehow I don't think a small private college in West Virginia has visions of grandeur to become the next West VA University via a publicity stunt.  

At age 4 she was placed in foster care and was moved around until being adopted nine years later. Then she found out she has ovarian cancer.  She has chosen to play a sport that likely subjected her to some level of bullying.  I have personal experience with what a female firefighter was subjected to in an all-male firehouse, and it was not pretty.

This young lady appears to be a good role model for girls, regardless of how one feels about her playing football.  A big chunk of society thinks our kids are privileged, overly soft snowflakes.  Black females are "angry black women."  Those are challenging stereotypes to overcome.  It appears this young lady had made some headway.  

as said above, i have a hard time believing that the 5'5 corner/safety, is better than the 5'10 kid I had at safety this year that has a couple naia interests as well.  he was pretty dang good, 

not for nothing, the physicality of the game is something will be lacking for her.  sure she has instincts, smarts, student of the game, but facts are facts, she was struggling deadlifting 225( i think in the video).  guys are cleaning that much and a lot, lot more.  that in itself should an indicator that this was to get some program exposure..... and no game tape?  only practice footage.  hmmmm

good for her, but what about the 1 she takes a spot from?  if anyone.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Sonofablitz said:

White Males are the devil this is a fact lol.

...some thoughts

Although not certain, there is a pretty high probability that her "spot" on that team is not costing anyone a future trip to the NFL.  If her "spot" is costing someone a college education...well, that's a huge part of our problem in the US.

Kids should not be relying on football for a trip to college.  With the system as it stands today, we should be pushing kids to be good enough to get academic scholarships-athlete or not.  And if in the future, as a society, we think college education is important enough, maybe we will offer it at no cost, like certain European countries.  

I would like to think there are coaches, employers, etc, out there who give positions to individuals for reasons beyond talent alone...and whose motivation is not simply publicity.  In some cases, a coach, boss, etc, may have a deep, personal conviction for individuals with a certain background, ie minorities, recovered drug addicts, rehabilitated convicts, etc. 

I hired a vet with PTSD and took a chance in doing so because he was dealing with substantial mental health issues.  One could say I "took a job away" from people who were out of work and more talented.  But it was my job to give, so I will do what I please.  And if someone wants to critique that decision, so be it.   

For all we know, that school may have a benefactor who likes the idea of someone like that lady getting a chance.  West Virginia is not exactly the most diverse state in the world, if you know what I mean;)  It is possible some of the good 'ol boys there might raise serious questions about a young Black lady being on the football team, especially one from Up North.  In that sense, the coach took some personal risk.  I truly think there is more to the story...

old school if you cant see that taking a spot away from a boy that has worked hard and deserves something, for a girl that every person in America knows she cant do at that level....then...thats whats wrong with America. You are so blinded by the liberal marching orders that your rational mind has been affected. Its a 5ft 5 GIRL playing college football at SAFETY and the only tape being shown is her covering an out route on 7 on 7. Its a cheap publicity stunt. If she was not a she there would be no offer. I got a problem with that.

signed, Evil white guy

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...some thoughts

Although not certain, there is a pretty high probability that her "spot" on that team is not costing anyone a future trip to the NFL.  If her "spot" is costing someone a college education...well, that's a huge part of our problem in the US.

Kids should not be relying on football for a trip to college.  With the system as it stands today, we should be pushing kids to be good enough to get academic scholarships-athlete or not.  And if in the future, as a society, we think college education is important enough, maybe we will offer it at no cost, like certain European countries.  

I would like to think there are coaches, employers, etc, out there who give positions to individuals for reasons beyond talent alone...and whose motivation is not simply publicity.  In some cases, a coach, boss, etc, may have a deep, personal conviction for individuals with a certain background, ie minorities, recovered drug addicts, rehabilitated convicts, etc. 

I hired a vet with PTSD and took a chance in doing so because he was dealing with substantial mental health issues.  One could say I "took a job away" from people who were out of work and more talented.  But it was my job to give, so I will do what I please.  And if someone wants to critique that decision, so be it.   

For all we know, that school may have a benefactor who likes the idea of someone like that lady getting a chance.  West Virginia is not exactly the most diverse state in the world, if you know what I mean;)  It is possible some of the good 'ol boys there might raise serious questions about a young Black lady being on the football team, especially one from Up North.  In that sense, the coach took some personal risk.  I truly think there is more to the story...

Some kids only way out is football and I don't mean the NFL.  Football allows a ton of kids a chance to get out of a poor situation and get an education.  Without football they would have no way to obtain this.  Not everyone is a rocket scientist and can get a free education through grades and not many of those are offered.  

27 minutes ago, badbird said:

what's really sad peezy is how bad all races are .......... up and have been forever.  I know you are joking but there is some truth in there.  

Humans tend to be treacherous and inhumane. You should listen to this old song. A more recent take is referenced below: The Monkey Speaks His Mind

13 minutes ago, badbird said:

Some kids only way out is football and I don't mean the NFL.  Football allows a ton of kids a chance to get out of a poor situation and get an education.  Without football they would have no way to obtain this.  Not everyone is a rocket scientist and can get a free education through grades and not many of those are offered.  

Completely agree badbird.  And this is the problem. We have a system now that "requires" you to go to college to get a "good" job(or so we have been  led to thinkl) or reach the professional ranks of athletics.  We have narrow-minded companies who have bought into this concept of "you must have a college degree or..."  We have high schools who are obsessed with getting kids into college because it makes the top brass look good.  In the meantime, we have cancelled shop classes and our country is desperate for qualified tradesmen.

In the past, the kids who were not rocket scientists went to trade school and could easily earn a livable wage.  We have painted the image that these are "dirty, lesser" jobs, so can we blame the kids for not pursuing them?  ANY kid right now can get into trade school and "get out" via that avenue if he/she has any level of drive.  We simply need to guide them in this direction.

The University of Virginia has a program today in which a kid out of high school can become a full-time university employee in their Maintenance Dept, with excellent benefits, $28k/year starting salary, and the university will pay for all of their 4-year trade school education.  And being a university that prides itself on diversity, am sure they would love to get some of these kids from bad homes.  How many high schools do you think are telling the kids about this? 

"Nope, my bonus is based on college admissions."  This article is a great example of what is happening...truly scary

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/11/28/564054556/what-really-happened-at-the-school-where-every-senior-got-into-college

On a positive note, it would be easy to turn this around.   The challenge is the fight we will get from academia and on-line earning, who is making huge bucks off everyone who drank their kool aid.    

oldschoollion I can't read all your posts because because they are always so long but I 100% agree we need trade schools brought back.  I'm a teacher and a coach and not every kid is made to go to college.  We do these kids a disservice pushing them to go that route and we lose a lot of them.  Had a meeting with a parent today whose kid has straight F's and doesn't want to be in school.  He is not a bad kid but he has zero interest in a math book.  There are a lot of things he could do and likes to do.  Let's teach him to do something he likes to do so he can become a successful member of society.  Instead we keep pushing that math math book in front of him and tell him to learn it or else.  

46 minutes ago, badbird said:

oldschoollion I can't read all your posts because because they are always so long but I 100% agree we need trade schools brought back.  I'm a teacher and a coach and not every kid is made to go to college.  We do these kids a disservice pushing them to go that route and we lose a lot of them.  Had a meeting with a parent today whose kid has straight F's and doesn't want to be in school.  He is not a bad kid but he has zero interest in a math book.  There are a lot of things he could do and likes to do.  Let's teach him to do something he likes to do so he can become a successful member of society.  Instead we keep pushing that math math book in front of him and tell him to learn it or else.  

I know some folks in the trades who will absolutely bend over backwards for a kid who shows an interest.  If you have a local vocational school, see if your school will bring them in to talk or give tours.   There are blue collar folks making much more than college grads today.  I had kids who hated math from a book, but loved it when they had a way to apply, ie carpenter math.