Did you know that Vero beat Pahokee in the KOC in 2004

FloTech

23 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

In a pre-season game? Nope, not at all. If you want to play them, play them so the W or L goes on the record, otherwise it is a meaningless game where teams run base packages, are testing certain things out, and allowing many kids some game experience. BTW, for going all out and playing Apopka how did CHS do in the regular season? 3 losses in the first 4 games and only a 5 point win over your "rival"?

No, treat pre-season like pre-season.

Im guessing you don't even attend kickoff classics then? 

If they aren't interesting then it would be pointless to show up 

Just now, gatorman-uf said:

No, I treat them like a pre-season game... I want to see the new players, any new style of play, but I don't judge the success of a team based on anything I see in a pre-season game.

I understand that but that don't mean that the matchups we get in kickoff classics aren't interesting 

I liked the Apopka matchup because i never see us playing a powerhouse team from a different region in FL 

I still don't understand why we don't play a central or south Florida power during the season, I've talked to coaches and they don't seem to be unwilling to play good teams,  hell they tried to schedule IMG Academy that year 

17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Would have been more if it wasn't for refs trying to basically hand them the game 

What refs flag a team for nearly 200 yards? 

And that Gainesville team finished with like -17 yards rushing 

Fact is they were dominated physically and despite score looking close they were never going to win

But hey at least they generally make the game interesting, i don't think Suwannee has kept game closer than 2 tds since 2012

What you fail to mention though is Gainesville's potential game winning drive was actually halted by penalties and they were also heavily penalized in the game as well.

You also fail to mention Gainesville had over 300 passing yards on Columbia that evening..

Is it fair to say Columbia sneaked past Gainesville that evening?

Just saying.

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

What you fail to mention though is Gainesville's potential game winning drive was actually halted by penalties and they were also heavily penalized in the game as well.

You also fail to mention Gainesville had over 300 passing yards on Columbia that evening..

Just saying.

Broward in response to this I'll ask this

When is the last time you watched a game where a team won with negative rushing yards in the double digits (-10 or more) 

17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Broward in response to this I'll ask this

When is the last time you watched a game where a team won with negative rushing yards in the double digits (-10 or more) 

Not to many...but honestly it depends on the type of offense a team runs.  I can definitely tell you when a team has over 300 TOTAL yards regardless if it was in the air or on the ground they generally have a great shot at winning a football game. Gainesville did have over 300 total yards that evening.

Is it safe to say Columbia sneaked past Gainesville in that game?

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Define good lol

Good as in competitive. I have a general idea what Columbia will have. Even when you don't perform up to expectations, your team still has some good athletes. If you are playing a team that's off to a good start (say 3-0, 4-1 or such), then that would probably be a good match-up for Columbia assuming that team had played decent competition. 

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Good as in competitive. I have a general idea what Columbia will have. Even when you don't perform up to expectations, your team still has some good athletes. If you are playing a team that's off to a good start (say 3-0, 4-1 or such), then that would probably be a good match-up for Columbia assuming that team had played decent competition. 

Home games this year would be

Week 2 Suwannee 

Week 4 Lee

Week 5 Madison County 

Week 9 Fletcher

Week 11 Bolles 

8 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Not to many...but honestly it depends on the type of offense a team runs.  I can definitely tell you when a team has over 300 TOTAL yards regardless if it was in the air or on the ground they generally have a great shot at winning a football game. Gainesville did have over 300 total yards that evening.

Is it safe to say Columbia sneaked past Gainesville in that game?

Idk about that 

While we played far below our ability i never felt we were gonna to lose the game but our performance did make that game a lot closer than it should have been 

If that's what you define as sneaking past them then i guess they did

21 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

On paper, any of the last four games may qualify. There was once a time that Suwannee would too. But that was a long time ago.

Ikr

It's gotten so bad that i actually wouldn't care if Suwannee was dropped from the schedule 

To me a rivalry only means something if it is competitive, by definition if Suwannee was made a rivalry because it's a bordering county then wouldn't it have made more sense to make Gainesville our rival because they are also a bordering county and we played them a lot sooner than we played Suwannee and it has been a far more competitive rivalry than Suwannee has as of late 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ikr

It's gotten so bad that i actually wouldn't care if Suwannee was dropped from the schedule 

It's sad, really. Suwannee was a real good team when I moved to Florida in the early 1990s. I don't know what happened. Did the County lose population or something?

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It's sad, really. Suwannee was a real good team when I moved to Florida in the early 1990s. I don't know what happened. Did the County lose population or something?

Well recently i have noticed a lot of talented players have chosen to transfer to Columbia instead of stay at Suwannee plus it hasn't been a very stable program lately 

Either reason has had a impact but i wish we had a Suwannee person to give further details since I don't know what things are internally over in live oak 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well recently i have noticed a lot of talented players have chosen to transfer to Columbia instead of stay at Suwannee plus it hasn't been a very stable program lately 

Either reason has had a impact but i wish we had a Suwannee person to give further details since I don't know what things are internally over in live oak 

A young man I worked with on a project in 2004 had been the kicker at Suwannee back in the late 1990s. He was a smart, nice young man and had a very pleasant fiancee. I tried to convince him to come work for my employer, but he declined as he did not want to leave the Sarasota area. It may have had to do with his fiancee being from Sarasota and not wanting to relocate to Tampa or Orlando. 

On 3/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, FloTech said:

I remember reading this somewhere but can't find it but anyways when Vero beat em they were expected to make a deep run that year....

Does anyone remember that game???

I played in it lol that season sucked! Hurricanes had everything screwed up.

3 hours ago, FloTech said:

Who y'all played in the spring game that year

I wanna say it was just a Red/White game back then. For whatever reason the game fell apart with who we were going to play, I forget who they tried to get it was a decent team from the Orlando region I believe.

1 hour ago, Trelle said:

I wanna say it was just a Red/White game back then. For whatever reason the game fell apart with who we were going to play, I forget who they tried to get it was a decent team from the Orlando region I believe.

What was y'all record in 2001 2002 and 2003 ik y'all went undefeated in the regular season in 02

On 3/27/2018 at 11:20 AM, FloTech said:

What was y'all record in 2001 2002 and 2003 ik y'all went undefeated in the regular season in 02

I can’t remember been 16 years ago I’m sure it’s online somewhere I know I’ve seen it

On 3/23/2018 at 9:04 AM, nolebull813 said:

For Vero. They finished 4-2 and lost in the first round. Yes 4-2. Lol. 

Beat Wellington 44-10

Forfeit win vs Palm Beach Gardens 

Lost vs Palm Beach Lakes 17-21

beat Royal Palm 13-12

beat Port St Lucie 61-6 

lost in the 1st round to Deerfield Beach 20-28

That was the year we got hit with 3 storms back to back to back is why only 6 games I am guessing. 

On 3/23/2018 at 8:52 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

You have old Apopka and you have new Apopka. Old Apopka is part rural, part small town and part inner city. New Apopka is mostly suburban and ranges from lower middle income to upper income. Old Apopka provides most of the talent on the football team, but not all. New Apopka has come about as the Metro Orlando area grew, and people working in the area had a need for more housing. 

The three main roads running near or through the heart of Apopka are 441, known as Main Street when it passes through Apopka; Park Avenue which started off as Apopka Vineland Road and then becomes Rock Springs Road later on; and a section of 436 which ends when it merges into 441. 

There is not a lot for young people to do in downtown Apopka. But stuff is near enough (either in an Apopka zip code or in adjoining sections of Orange and Seminole counties) so that if you have transportation you can do city type stuff. 

Oh, and the town loves Apopka's football team. The school probably has the best consistent attendance in the Metro Orlando area. 

Don't know if the above helps a bit. I would be glad to answer more specific questions. 

DB curious what is the support like for Wekiva?

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

DB curious what is the support like for Wekiva?

In general, not that good. The Apopka/Wekiva game usually draws well, as Wekiva, as well as Apopka fans turn out for that. Last season, when Wekiva made a run, support increased as the season went on. 

The problem Wekiva has, is that it does not have a natural support base. The community around Wekiva has changed quite a bit over the last 15 -20 years. About half their kids went to Piedmont Lakes Middle School. When my kids went to Piedmont Lakes, it was a predominantly white school. However, now Piedmont Lakes is predominantly minority. And, the demographics there are now poorer. Unlike Apopka which draws a lot of kids from "Old Apopka," people who are not going anywhere regardless of race, Piedmont's population was made up of lower middle income New Apopka. Thus that community was less stable. 

The above said, if Wekiva continues to do well, and this season should be a good one for them, I am sure their fan support will continue to improve. Their coaching staff is good and experienced. So, I would expect them to continue to attract good athletic talent.