2018 Columbia Football

DisabledAccount

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

2012 we defeated St Augustine, Ridgeview and Bartram Trail and we were closest team to defeating Gainesville that entire year prior to Gainesville getting their teeth kicked in by Miami Central 

2012 team deserved that ranking 

The question at hand is whether Columbia deserved the ranking at the time the poll was published.  This was offered as an example of a case where Columbia was not snubbed in the early polls despite past performance that was less than stellar.

Come on Old School, you are acting like CHSFan wont turn this into some media attack on CHS and claim #fakenews.

Did you look at all the tweets by CHS coaches towards the Gainesville Prep Sports Reporter? My god... 

But what had they done to deserve a high ranking in preseason based on previous performances. I mean you call out teams for being highly ranked for lack of production but the 2012 was living off the star power of Tunsil and the previous power of Jernigan. 

Didnt that same team look ahead of Navarre, overly confident that they would beat GHS in the rematch, that they actually forget they had to bear Navarre... as you say good teams dont overlook teams from nowhere..

7 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Come on Old School, you are acting like CHSFan wont turn this into some media attack on CHS and claim #fakenews.

Did you look at all the tweets by CHS coaches towards the Gainesville Prep Sports Reporter? My god... 

But what had they done to deserve a high ranking in preseason based on previous performances. I mean you call out teams for being highly ranked for lack of production but the 2012 was living off the star power of Tunsil and the previous power of Jernigan. 

Didnt that same team look ahead of Navarre, overly confident that they would beat GHS in the rematch, that tbey actually forget tbey had to bear Navarre... as you good teams dont overlook teams from nowhere..

And what has Gainesville done since getting their A$$ Kicked by Central 

Have they been back to a semifinal game since then?

Have they beaten Columbia since then? 

You act like we have failed so much but you never bother to point out that Gainesville is still trying to be half the team they were in 2012, they haven't been a serious threat in North Florida since that time and have they even beaten a single elite team since Central mopped the floor with them? 

17 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Didnt that same team look ahead of Navarre, overly confident that they would beat GHS in the rematch, that tbey actually forget tbey had to bear Navarre... as you good teams dont overlook teams from nowhere..

Funny because Gainesville baseball did that 2 straight years but they are still elite right? 

2016 lost at home in District semifinals as 1 seed to a 4 seed Middleburg who they swept during season

2017 lost in Lake City as 2 seed against 3 seed Vanguard who again they swept during the season 

But yeah Gainesville doesn't overlook opponents, please they are just as bad at this crap

Should we move to Softball when they lost to Oakleaf back in 2015 at home after only losing 1 game all regular season (who ironically they were looking ahead to facing in district finals)

25 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

If pollsters want to put stock in "residual" power, Miami Northwestern had as much as anyone coming off their 06, 07 and 08 seasons.  In 09 and 10 they lost to Central in the playoffs,  had a "down" year of 8-2 in 2011, and then they are ranked behind Columbia in the 2012 preseason poll.  If any team had reason to talk about being snubbed that year, it was Northwestern.     

Why not we address the real issue 

You have a serious issue with me because of who I represent and it's clear you have a issue with Columbia that probably goes back a bit 

What exactly did the school do to you to make you have so much hate in your heart

Believe it or not i actually like you, when you not talking about Columbia 

You have a lot of great knowledge and generally bring up good points but man this random hatred is getting old

If you were a Gainesville grad i could understand the issue being rivarly banter but you have stated you have no affiliation with them so I'm failing to understand why you make such a effort to single Columbia out

Just now, OldSchoolLion said:

If pollsters want to put stock in "residual" power, Miami Northwestern had as much as anyone coming off their 06, 07 and 08 seasons.  In 09 and 10 they lost to Central in the playoffs,  had a "down" year of 8-2 in the playoffs, and they are ranked behind Columbia in the 2012 preseason poll.  If any team had reason to talk about being snubbed that year, it was Northwestern.     

And if MNW felt they were snubbed i wouldn't make too much a argument with it

They a solid program 

But they have just as much a argument as many out there have every year 

Preseason polls are subjective, it really doesn't matter and quite frankly idc where we are ranked, i sometimes tease about us being ranked higher but it's just to get a reaction 

I would much rather be unranked 

I single Columbia out on a thread about Columbia if another team was beating this loudly I would do tbe same. I single you out because you are the North Florida version of the STA Fans... giving no credit to your opponents or that your opponents have accomplished anything.

Using Gainesville as a team that overlooks CHS is laughable, they play them in almost every sport every year. CHS is not a middle of nowhere team for a school like GHS. 

I dont hate you, I just want you to stop being such a homer and get outside of your CHS bubble. Rivalries are fun, CHS is a very good to almost great program that is very consistent. It is not state level elite. Many of us have been providing you proof on why CHS has failed to live up to expectations. You ignore. We remind you that games like IMG are preseason games and while you hype wins over Apopka, Raines, West Orange, those games still didnt lead to seasons beyond expectations.

I point out that you always have excuses when CHS loses (umps/refs, injuries, etc). That never seems true of the otherside though when CHS wins. In other words, you are homer. If there was another homer as big as you on this board, we would give them equal grief.

As you look forward to this season, it seems the QB situation has been resolved instead of the rotation that I saw last year. I still don't think QB is big enough for Power 5 offers and I think people consistently underestimate the skill and genetic level required for that level, but je still has another year. Do I think CHS will go undefeated? Probably not. But are they at least a regional finalist this year? Absolutely, but that is minimum expectation for a school like CHS.

Are they state champion level good, dont know, but I not claiming them state champions because of a glorified scrimmage. 

20 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I single Columbia out on a thread about Columbia if another team was beating this loudly I would do tbe same. I single you out because you are the North Florida version of the STA Fans... giving no credit to your opponents or that your opponents have accomplished anything.

Using Gainesville as a team that overlooks CHS is laughable, they play them in almost every sport every year. CHS is not a middle of nowhere team for a school like GHS. 

I dont hate you, I just want you to stop being such a homer and get outside of your CHS bubble. Rivalries are fun, CHS is a very good to almost great program that is very consistent. It is not state level elite. Many of us have been providing you proof on why CHS has failed to live up to expectations. You ignore. We remind you that games like IMG are preseason games and while you hype wins over Apopka, Raines, West Orange, those games still didnt lead to seasons beyond expectations.

I point out that you always have excuses when CHS loses (umps/refs, injuries, etc). That never seems true of the otherside though when CHS wins. In other words, you are homer. If there was another homer as big as you on this board, we would give them equal grief.

As you look forward to this season, it seems the QB situation has been resolved instead of the rotation that I saw last year. I still don't think QB is big enough for Power 5 offers and I think people consistently underestimate the skill and genetic level required for that level, but je still has another year. Do I think CHS will go undefeated? Probably not. But are they at least a regional finalist this year? Absolutely, but that is minimum expectation for a school like CHS.

Are they state champion level good, dont know, but I not claiming them state champions because of a glorified scrimmage. 

I do give credit to teams but I am not someone who hands praise out easily,  i do respect the fact Gainesville is a school that makes every sport we play them in worth waking up for.  Everytime i see Gainesville on the schedule I'm fired up for the competition, i only wish Suwannee could bring forth the same intensity out of me but until they become at least a serious threat in half the sports i can't take them seriously.  The issue i have with GHS is the fact they try to claim themselves as country,  that strikes a core with me because a city of 100k people has no business playing the country card

No they were looking ahead to playing us and they overlooked Middleburg, vanguard and Oakleaf. I think you may have misread what i said

I am fully aware that we have a history of failed expectations and my clock is ticking and I have never gotten a chance to be a part of a state championship experience and I'm sorry that it can be annoying but quite frankly I'm a desperate person and I want to get just one chance to see us go against the best FL has to offer under the bright lights and show we still have what it takes to be a good program and get rid of this bridesmaid rep we have lately

You would think by now teams will learn that size doesn't mean as much as talent and heart after so many players who were undersized became studs and so many with perfect size became busts

I never claimed they were state champions, i claimed they proved they can compete with and beat elite teams 

The following excerpt is from today's (8/23/18) Daytona Beach News-Journal. Jaleel McRae, a three year starter at New Smyrna Beach High School (Barracudas), now coached by Cocoa's John Wilkinson,  accepted an invitation to the 2019 Under Armour All American Game. McRae, now a senior, plays for IMG....

....Verbally committed to Florida State, McRae was an All-Area second team linebacker for the Barracudas last fall. He made 48 tackles, seven for loss, and snagged two interceptions.

In January, he packed his bags for Bradenton and enrolled at IMG Academy. The Ascenders were ranked No. 1 in USA Today’s preseason Super 25, but lost their kickoff classic to Lake City Columbia, trailing 33-13 at halftime.

“Going into that game, I’m not even going to lie to you, we thought we were going to come out there and beat on them boys,” McRae said. “They got on us early in the game, and it was hard for us to fight back. Adversity hit us ... and we just shut down.”

McRae and the Ascenders make one of their five out-of-state trips on Friday, visiting defending Pennsylvania Class 6A champion Gibsonia Pine-Richland.

.....And that is the rest of the story.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Hmm it appears college recruiters know what Lake City players are capable of 

Or they use the same line with every recruit? Obviously, you have never flirted with a women, you have some standard lines that you use that allow you to flatter her. They are generic, but they allow you to continue a conversation while you flatter her as figure out what else to say/do to continue to conversation as it moves to more important and more adult conversations. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know i usually am very blunt and hard on our fanbase because i feel we have been falling short as of late when it comes to getting good numbers and energy but last night i have to give credit where it's due

Columbia fanbase really stepped up to the plate last night 

We still aren't maxing it out but this is best crowd I've seen for a non homecoming game we have had in probably since 2015 playoffs 

Should be a packed house next week against Madison County 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/football-friday/20-years-later-the-tiger-s-teeth-are-still-sharp?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Not everyone may like Columbia but it's impossible to not respect just how much the program does for the community 

I noticed recently that the members of the team each week have been visiting local elementary schools, I believe this is a very good thing because a lot of young citizens in this community look up to these athletes 

Proud of the kids that come through the school here at Columbia