FL vs OOS Top-Ranked Teams - Game Results 2005-2017

OldSchoolLion

Below are the results of 48 games involving some of Florida's better teams at the time versus highly ranked, out-of-state competition.  These games took place between 2005 and present.  Florida teams won 20 and lost 28.  Of the 20 victories, St Thomas Aquinas won 7.  Broward/Miami-Dade teams won 15 of the 20.  3 teams from outside those two counties won at least one game: Lakeland, Armwood and Cocoa. 

I looked for such results on here and did not find.  If the data is duplicative, I apologize.  My goal was to get a general idea of how our best teams of the modern era have done versus the best OOS competition(roughly speaking, OOS teams that finished in the Top 200 of Maxpreps end-of-year rankings).  This may not be the perfect data set and I may be missing some games, but I suspect they would not change the broad trends much.   For those who want to debate who is better than who or why our team did not win a certain game, go knock yourselves out, but that was not my intent for sharing.        

WINS

2017 St Thomas Aquinas 9 vs St John Bosco (CA) (3 OT)

2017 Miami Central 24 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 20 

2016 American Heritage(PL) 17 vs Colquitt County (GA) 14

2016 American Heritage(PL) 21 vs Don Bosco (NJ) 0

2016 St Thomas Aquinas 33 vs Bingham(UT) 25

2014 Miami Central 24 vs Hoover (AL) 21

2013 Miami Central 50 vs Don Bosco(NJ) 21

2013 Booker T Washington 55 vs Norcross(GA) 0

2013 Booker T Washington 28 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 12

2013 St Thomas Aquinas 27 vs John Curtis(LA) 13

2012 Cocoa 24 vs Bergen Catholic(NJ) 14

2011 Armwood 20 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 17

2011 St Thomas Aquinas 34 vs Prattville(AL) 31

2011 St Thomas Aquinas 30 vs De La Salle(CA) 6 

2010 Cocoa 24 vs Abilene(TX) 21 

2009 Lakeland 31 vs De La Salle(CA) 30 (OT) 

2009 St Thomas Aquinas 42 vs Byrnes(SC) 34

2008 St Thomas Aquinas 35 vs Elder(OH) 24

2007 Northwestern 29 vs Southlake Carroll(TX) 21 

2006 Lakeland 25 vs St Xavier(OH) 22 (OT)

LOSSES

2017 Chandler(AZ) 55 vs Northwestern 20

2016 Bishop Gorman (AZ) 25 vs St Thomas Aquinas 24 (3 OT)

2016 Bishop Gorman (NV) 46 vs Cocoa 10

2016 Grayson(GA) 39 vs Deerfield Beach 14

2015 Dematha(MD) 38 vs Miami Central 14

2015 Dematha(MD) 23 vs American Heritage Plantation 22

2015 St Edward (OH) 24 vs Cocoa 14

2015 St Edward(OH) 47 vs Mainland 28

2014 Buford(GA) 17 vs Trinity Christian 0

2014 Don Bosco (NJ) 24 vs St Thomas Aquinas 7

2013 Byrnes(SC) 51 vs Apopka 36 

2012 Grayson(GA) 35 vs Miami Central 3

2012 Don Bosco(NJ) 20 vs St Thomas Aquinas 10

2012 St Joseph's Prep(PA) 16 vs Cocoa 7

2011 Our Lady of Good Counsel(MD) 24 vs Manatee 17 (2OT)

2011 Don Bosco(NJ) 22 vs Manatee 16 

2011 Colerain(OH) 17 vs Cocoa 7

2011 West Monroe(LA) 21 vs Cocoa 7

2011 Skyline(TX) 36 vs Cocoa 20

2010 Abilene(TX) 27 vs Plant 17

2008 Hamilton(AZ) 37 vs Booker T Washington 19

2008 Northside(GA) 31 vs Booker T Washington 7

2008 Byrnes(SC) 38 vs Lincoln 0

2008 Byrnes(SC) 38 vs Pahokee 12 

2008 Katy(TX) 31 vs Cypress Bay 6

2006 St Edward(OH) 14 vs Chaminade-Madonna 7

2006 Byrnes(SC) 27 vs Glades Central 15

2005 Hoover(AL) 50 vs Nease 29

1 hour ago, Floridatech said:

The BTW and Oscar Smith game happened in 2014 and Apopka scored way more than 17 points and Byrnes scored more than 34 points too

I think the final was 51-36 or something like that. It was a one score game, Apopka was driving, then they lost their QB to a hit that damaged his future career. Byrnes scored another touchdown after that, to increase the lead to two scores. 

How is Cocoa and Mainland consisted top ranked teams the year they lost to State Champ St Edwards but Tucker,GA and Stephenson losing to Miami Central, Booker T, and AHP aren't?

Cocoa and Mainland are not better than Tucker, and Stephenson. Hell those matchups would be competitive every year. 

And in 2008 Hamilton was nationally ranked where deplete Booker T was way down. 

Chaminade wasn't good in 2006 either 

Lincoln in 2008 was really average. Byrnes was a powerhouse. 

A lot of these Florida losses are inferior Florida teams who weren't top ranked against nationally ranked powerhouses. 

The criteria is very unbalanced 

I know you were looking for National ranked match up's. Here is the OOS list of games when Wilks had Cocoa travelling OOS. Some are, some were not, Top National Games.

Cocoa OOS 2010.

Cocoa 14, Olive Branch 7. Olive Branch finished season ranked 288 nationally.

Cocoa 43, Thomas jefferson Pa 7. Thomas jefferson finished 1401 Nationally.

Cocoa 24, Abilene Texas 21. Abilene was ranked #1 in the nation at the time and ended at 158. Abilene also beat Plant 1 week later 27-17. Plant finished ranked 74 nationally.

Cocoa OOS 2011.

Colerain Ohio 17, Cocoa 7. Colerain finished 122 nationally.

West Monroe Louisiana 21, Cocoa 7. WM finished  56 nationally.

Skyline Texas 36, Cocoa 20. Skyline finished 24 nationally.

Cocoa OOS 2012.

St Joseph's Prep Pa 16, Cocoa 7. St Joseph's finished 101 nationally. 

Cocoa 24, Bergen Catholic 14. BC finished ranked 63 nationally.

Cocoa 2013 OOS.

Gonzaga 17, Cocoa 14. Gonzaga wins on a last second FG. Finished season at 430.

Cocoa 2014 OOS.

Trinity Ky 35, Cocoa 32. Trinity wins after Kicker Alex Petruzello goes out with a broken leg. Cocoa misses 3 X-tra points. Trinity finishes season at 70 nationally.

Cocoa 2015 OOS.

Cocoa 35, Western Branch Va 0. Western finishes at 2009.

St. Edward Oh 24, Cocoa 14. St. Edward finished at 6 nationally. 

Cocoa 2016 OOS.

Bishop Gorman 46, Cocoa 10. BG finished season ranked 1 nationally.

42 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I know you were looking for National ranked match up's. Here is the OOS list of games when Wilks had Cocoa travelling OOS. Some are, some were not, Top National Games.

Cocoa OOS 2010.

Cocoa 24, Abilene Texas 21. Abilene was ranked #1 in the nation at the time and ended at 158. Abilene also beat Plant 1 week later 27-17. Plant finished ranked 74 nationally.

Cocoa OOS 2011.

Cocoa OOS 2012.

Cocoa 2013 OOS.

Cocoa 2014 OOS.

Trinity Ky 35, Cocoa 32. Trinity wins after Kicker Alex Petruzello goes out with a broken leg. Cocoa misses 3 X-tra points. Trinity finishes season at 70 nationally.

Cocoa 2015 OOS.

Cocoa 2016 OOS.

Yeah Cocoa had the stones. Didn't matter if they had no shot. They lined em up. I was a frequent critic of it, but I'm sure the kids got good life lessons and fun in different states. 

Out of all those Cocoa oos games only one was at home I believe. Some neutral site games in name only. Like playing Skyline at Jerry World, or St Joes at Disney. 

Another tidbit. Johnny Wilk was the coach for Brooksville Central when they played the only oos game in Hernando County history against a boarding school from New York in 2004. 

This year will be the second oos game in County history when Hernando High plays a Colorado team apart of the Disney event 

10 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

How is Cocoa and Mainland consisted top ranked teams the year they lost to State Champ St Edwards but Tucker,GA and Stephenson losing to Miami Central, Booker T, and AHP aren't?

Cocoa and Mainland are not better than Tucker, and Stephenson. Hell those matchups would be competitive every year. 

A lot of these Florida losses are inferior Florida teams who weren't top ranked against nationally ranked powerhouses. 

As I implied earlier, compiling the data was not meant to be an exercise in perfection with strict criteria, and I didn't advertise it as some masterpiece to prove a point.   Sometimes I do things for myself and think "Gee, maybe some others might like to see this."  It's a random set of data.  Take it for what it is.  I don't see too many others idiots like myself posting things for others to enjoy at midnight.  

All of the FL teams listed above were legitimate state title contenders in the years they were listed, so to consider them "inferior" does not speak well for Florida football.  Concerning Tucker and Stephenson, they are rock solid programs, but not what most GA folks would consider the most worthy of GA teams to deserve a national ranking.     

I used "loose" criteria to define "top-ranked" OOS competitiors.  Did not include teams that ended the year ranked outside the top 200 on Maxpreps.  Is there better criteria?  I'm sure.  Did I care for the purposes of what I was doing and was I willing to dedicate any more time to the exercise than I already did?  No.  If anyone out there got something out of the data, I am glad I shared it.  

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I think the final was 51-36 or something like that. It was a one score game, Apopka was driving, then they lost their QB to a hit that damaged his future career. Byrnes scored another touchdown after that, to increase the lead to two scores. 

It was 51-36 Byrnes over Apopka.  I corrected above.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That was my senior year was rootin my ahh off for y'all 

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa OOS 2010.

Cocoa OOS 2011.

Cocoa OOS 2012.

Cocoa 2013 OOS.

Cocoa 2014 OOS.

Cocoa 2015 OOS.

Cocoa 2016 OOS.

I can only think of one game in which a titan from FL met one of the top 10 teams in Texas(based on end-of-season results) from a certain year..the Northwestern vs Southlake Carrroll game in 2007.  Maybe I am forgetting some.  

IMO a game like that would have as much intrigue as any OOS game one could schedule...ie vs Lake Travis, Allen, Katy, etc.  

Byrnes(SC) has really fallen off the past two seasons and got dominated last season by both Dorman and Gaffney, 2 very good Greenvile/Spartanburg area schools.  That metro area has grown tremendously due to job growth and it is comparable to the Jacksonville metro area now.

My guess is that new schools have opened in the area and others schools have grown, "diluting" talent at places like Byrnes.        

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

As I implied earlier, compiling the data was not meant to be an exercise in perfection with strict criteria, and I didn't advertise it as some masterpiece to prove a point.   Sometimes I do things for myself and think "Gee, maybe some others might like to see this."  It's a random set of data.  Take it for what it is.  I don't see too many others idiots like myself posting things for others to enjoy at midnight.  

All of the FL teams listed above were legitimate state title contenders in the years they were listed, so to consider them "inferior" does not speak well for Florida football.  Concerning Tucker and Stephenson, they are rock solid programs, but not what most GA folks would consider the most worthy of GA teams to deserve a national ranking.     

I used "loose" criteria to define "top-ranked" OOS competitiors.  Did not include teams that ended the year ranked outside the top 200 on Maxpreps.  Is there better criteria?  I'm sure.  Did I care for the purposes of what I was doing and was I willing to dedicate any more time to the exercise than I already did?  No.  If anyone out there got something out of the data, I am glad I shared it.  

I, for one, appreciate what you do with these things and take them not as works of perfection, but, rather, things to stimulate discussion. 

On 8/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, nolebull813 said:

Hey nolebull...you inspired me to refine the data above.  See if this is more to your liking as representative of top-ranked FL teams vs top-ranked OOS competition.  I believe all of the teams below ended up Top 50 in at least one of the polls at the end of the season.

WINS

2017 Miami Central 24 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 20 

2017 St Thomas Aquinas 9 vs St John Bosco (CA) (3 OT)

2014 Miami Central 24 vs Hoover (AL) 21

2013 Booker T Washington 28 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 12    

2011 Armwood 20 vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 17 (forfeited)

2011 St Thomas Aquinas 34 vs Prattville(AL) 31

2011 St Thomas Aquinas 30 vs De La Salle(CA) 6 

2009 Lakeland 31 vs De La Salle(CA) 30 (OT) 

2009 St Thomas Aquinas 42 vs Byrnes(SC) 34

2008 St Thomas Aquinas 35 vs Elder(OH) 24

2007 Northwestern 29 vs Southlake Carroll(TX) 21 

2006 Lakeland 25 vs St Xavier(OH) 22 (OT)

LOSSES

2017 Chandler(AZ) 55 vs Northwestern 20

2016 Bishop Gorman (AZ) 25 vs St Thomas Aquinas 24 (3 OT)

2016 Bishop Gorman (NV) 46 vs Cocoa 10

2015 Dematha(MD) 38 vs Miami Central 14

2014 Buford(GA) 17 vs Trinity Christian 0    

2014 Don Bosco (NJ) 24 vs St Thomas Aquinas 7

2012 Grayson(GA) 35 vs Miami Central 3

2012 Don Bosco(NJ) 20 vs St Thomas Aquinas 10

2011 Our Lady of Good Counsel(MD) 24 vs Manatee 17 (2OT)

2011 Don Bosco(NJ) 22 vs Manatee 16 

On 8/12/2018 at 11:59 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

I look forward to your posts. I learn interesting facts from you and the replies that follow from other people posting.