Biggest FL Upsets in History

OldSchoolLion

By far the biggest upset in DP history was the 1997 first round loss to Oviedo.

DP was 10-0, demolished everyone on their schedule (including state power Evans) but lost 27-24 in OT in the upset against the Lions.

The 1997 team, to me, is on an equivalent level to the 2010, 2016 and 2017 teams that made the title game... they blew teams out early. They were up 14-0 in the 1st against Oviedo if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

Doesn’t surprise me, I quit sitting over there a long time ago, during a playoff game in ‘89 or ‘90 I think. Manatee had come over for a playoff game (they won the state title that year vs Southridge) and Vero fans were calling them the Bradenton Manatees and couldn’t figure out why they had hurricane warning flags on their helmet, I TRIED to explain that their mascot was the hurricanes and who Manatee was and their history. Their response was that it made no sense because the hurricanes wear green and orange and had a U on their helmet. 

Any real knowledgeable Vero football fan sits on the visiting side near the train horn which is also home seating. 

I grew up watching the games sittin in the metal stands under the announcers booth with my dad, always had his NY Giants foldable chair he sat on, listening to ChristianFM on his Walkman to get the radio call, amazing memories! The train horn was awesome as a little kid!

Drogo did you attend Vero too? If so probably new my dad, Coach C aka Mr Colontrelle?

24 minutes ago, Trelle said:

I grew up watching the games sittin in the metal stands under the announcers booth with my dad, always had his NY Giants foldable chair he sat on, listening to ChristianFM on his Walkman to get the radio call, amazing memories! The train horn was awesome as a little kid!

Drogo did you attend Vero too? If so probably new my dad, Coach C aka Mr Colontrelle?

I sit in the area for all the home games 

Back in the first week of November, 2007, Class 5A #2 ranked Kissimmee Osceola became the first team to beat Lakeland since Hillsborough in the 2003 playoffs. The Kowboys stunned the #1 Dreadnaughts, 25-21 at Bryant Stadium, to end the Dreadnaughts winning streak at a state-record 53 games.

The victory gave Osceola the Class 5A, District 8 title, which ended Lakeland’s streak of three consecutive district titles. And it also was Lakeland’s first home loss since losing to Bloomingdale on Oct. 25, 2003, which ended a streak of 33 consecutive home victories.  During the winning streak, Lakeland had several close calls, including a 7-3 victory at Osceola in 2006.  

Osceola struck first with a 15-yard run by Thomas, but Lakeland followed with three unanswered TDs. In the third quarter, Osceola's offense struggled, losing yards on both of its third-quarter drives. But on the second play of the fourth quarter, Brown scored a 35-yard touchdown to put the Kowboys within eight. Lakeland nearly struck back on the ensuing drive. Running back T.K. Lamb fumbled as he ran into the end zone. Bell tossed a touchdown pass to Brandon Burden on the next drive to make the score 21-19. Osceola's defense produced a three-and-out stop with two minutes remaining in the game to set up a history-making touchdown drive.  With 24 seconds remaining at Lakeland's 1-yard line, Osceola quarterback T'Sharvan Bell stuck his hand over a pile of approaching defenders and scored.

Osceola's Bubba Brown finished with 140 yards and a touchdown. Bell threw for 112 yards.

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Back in the first week of November, 2007, Class 5A #2 ranked Kissimmee Osceola became the first team to beat Lakeland since Hillsborough in the 2003 playoffs. The Kowboys stunned the #1 Dreadnaughts, 25-21 at Bryant Stadium, to end the Dreadnaughts winning streak at a state-record 53 games.

The victory gave Osceola the Class 5A, District 8 title, which ended Lakeland’s streak of three consecutive district titles. And it also was Lakeland’s first home loss since losing to Bloomingdale on Oct. 25, 2003, which ended a streak of 33 consecutive home victories.  During the winning streak, Lakeland had several close calls, including a 7-3 victory at Osceola in 2006.  

Osceola struck first with a 15-yard run by Thomas, but Lakeland followed with three unanswered TDs. In the third quarter, Osceola's offense struggled, losing yards on both of its third-quarter drives. But on the second play of the fourth quarter, Brown scored a 35-yard touchdown to put the Kowboys within eight. Lakeland nearly struck back on the ensuing drive. Running back T.K. Lamb fumbled as he ran into the end zone. Bell tossed a touchdown pass to Brandon Burden on the next drive to make the score 21-19. Osceola's defense produced a three-and-out stop with two minutes remaining in the game to set up a history-making touchdown drive.  With 24 seconds remaining at Lakeland's 1-yard line, Osceola quarterback T'Sharvan Bell stuck his hand over a pile of approaching defenders and scored.

Osceola's Bubba Brown finished with 140 yards and a touchdown. Bell threw for 112 yards.

That was one of the best games I've been to and the best Osceola team I watched!  

If it wasn't for T Bell going down before the state title game, I see them Winning states.

Back in December ,1996, in Daytona Beach, defending champion Bolles (14-1) came into the 4A state title game against Bartow(14-1) ranked #1 by USA Today and riding a 27-game winning streak.  They were looking to win their 3rd state title in 4 years and dispatch of yet another central Florida team in doing so (they beat Lake Wales in 1993 and Hardee in 1995).  Bolles had nine D1 prospects. 

But mid way through the first quarter when Bolles qb Chris Reier, a University of Alabama commit, went down with a fractured ankle at Bartow's 4-yard line, the picture changed.  Without Reier, the Bulldogs sputtered offensively agaisnt a stout Bartow defense.  Bolles had to go with an inexperienced freshman and sophomore as Reier's backups.

The Yellow Jackets overcame a 10-0 first-quarter deficit with two key plays in the second.  A 37-yard, over-the-shoulder catch by Greg Moore set up quarterback Sleepie Tollie's 8-yard TD run.  On Bolles' next series, defensive end Kenny Thornton intercepted Ry Patrick's screen pass and turned it into a 45-yard touchdown, giving Bartow a 14-10 lead with 59 seconds left in the half.

Bolles managed a 47-yard field goal by Dez White in the third quarter.  Final score Bartow 14  Bolles 13

Bartow's coach, Danny Rea Smith, had coached previously at St Cloud and was one of only three coaches to beat Corky Rogers in a state title game(Ice Harris of BTW and Joe Zaccheo at Miami Pace the others). 

Back in November, 2001, Rockledge, #2 in the 3A state poll, ended the state's longest winning streak at the time when they visited the Muck and beat three-time defending state champion Glades Central 21-14 in a Class 3A regional final in front of 6000 fans.  Glades, ranked 5th in the nation by USA Today and first in the 3A state poll, had won 47 straight games.  

Glades Central's Mario Fraser capped a 10-play opening drive with a 1 one-yard TD run.  But Rockledge tied the game with 1:22 left in the quarter on a 69-yard pass from Hunter Pingston to Szan Robinson. Glades retook the lead midway through the second quarter when Bill Grant scored on a 39-yard run. Pingston's second scoring pass to Robinson tied the game with 2:28 remaining in the half and Rockledge took the lead to stay with 27 seconds left on a 19-yard run by Dontavious Wilcox. 

Pingston missed wide left on two field-goal attempts but was 11 of 18 passing for 181 yards and two touchdowns.  Fraser led Glades' ground game with 76 yards on 14 carries.  Glades QB Curtis Holley was 13 of 29 for 289 yards and threw an interception

The Raiders' previous loss had come to Pahokee, 34-14, 3 years earlier.  Bartow went on to win the first of back-to-back state titles, beating Lake Wales in the semifinals and St Augustine in the finals. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Back in December ,1996, in Daytona Beach, defending champion Bolles (14-1) came into the 4A state title game against Bartow(14-1) ranked #1 by USA Today and riding a 27-game winning streak.  They were looking to win their 3rd state title in 4 years and dispatch of yet another central Florida team in doing so (they beat Lake Wales in 1993 and Hardee in 1995).  Bolles had nine D1 prospects. 

But mid way through the first quarter when Bolles qb Chris Reier, a University of Alabama commit, went down with a fractured ankle at Bartow's 4-yard line, the picture changed.  Without Reier, the Bulldogs sputtered offensively agaisnt a stout Bartow defense.  Bolles had to go with an inexperienced freshman and sophomore as Reier's backups.

The Yellow Jackets overcame a 10-0 first-quarter deficit with two key plays in the second.  A 37-yard, over-the-shoulder catch by Greg Moore set up quarterback Sleepie Tollie's 8-yard TD run.  On Bolles' next series, defensive end Kenny Thornton intercepted Ry Patrick's screen pass and turned it into a 45-yard touchdown, giving Bartow a 14-10 lead with 59 seconds left in the half.

Bolles managed a 47-yard field goal by Dez White in the third quarter.  Final score Bartow 14  Bolles 13

Bartow's coach, Danny Rea Smith, had coached previously at St Cloud and was one of only three coaches to beat Corky Rogers in a state title game(Ice Harris of BTW and Joe Zaccheo at Miami Pace the others). 

Bartow took out Bolles QB just like Bolles took out our QB the year before.  The 1995 game was a 1st quarter disaster for Hardee, but then we came back on them.  Bolles lead 21-0 and the end of the 1st and 28-7 at half.  The Hardee fans left that game feeling like we would have won had the clock not ran out us.  Final was 28-21.  

The date was Sept. 28, 2001. Lakeland traveled to Haines City with a 60-game, regular-season winning streak, a state record, and left with the streak over, courtesy of Haines City’s 2-0 victory. Lakeland was traditionally the bigger school, but this was a district game in 2001, the first time the two teams played in the same district. Haines City, because of growth, just moved up from 3A to 5A.  
The crowd was estimated at 4,000 fans, and the game was televised on Sunshine Network.  Lakeland, which outgained Haines City 215-58 in total offense, had 5 turnovers — 3 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles — and each team missed two field goals. 
Special teams, however, helped set up the winning points. Jessy Jeans, a talented wide receiver and basketball player, blasted a 48-yard punt that was downed on the 1. The Dreadnaughts got a first down at the 11 then reached the 20, but a holding penalty pushed them back. Lakeland quarterback Prince Hixon then went back to pass and was hit in the end zone by Spencer and fumbled. Lakeland recovered in the end zone for the safety.
It was sort of a last hurrah for Haines City, who have had just 3 winning seasons since then. 

52 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The date was Sept. 28, 2001. Lakeland traveled to Haines City with a 60-game, regular-season winning streak, a state record, and left with the streak over, courtesy of Haines City’s 2-0 victory. Lakeland was traditionally the bigger school, but this was a district game in 2001, the first time the two teams played in the same district. Haines City, because of growth, just moved up from 3A to 5A.  
The crowd was estimated at 4,000 fans, and the game was televised on Sunshine Network.  Lakeland, which outgained Haines City 215-58 in total offense, had 5 turnovers — 3 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles — and each team missed two field goals. 
Special teams, however, helped set up the winning points. Jessy Jeans, a talented wide receiver and basketball player, blasted a 48-yard punt that was downed on the 1. The Dreadnaughts got a first down at the 11 then reached the 20, but a holding penalty pushed them back. Lakeland quarterback Prince Hixon then went back to pass and was hit in the end zone by Spencer and fumbled. Lakeland recovered in the end zone for the safety.
It was sort of a last hurrah for Haines City, who have had just 3 winning seasons since then. 

I believe that was Coach Tim Hatten's last season with Haines City.  He went to coach some jr. college in Mississippi.  Also Ridge Community HS opened shortly thereafter.  Haines City hasn't been the same since.  

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I believe that was Coach Tim Hatten's last season with Haines City.  He went to coach some jr. college in Mississippi.  Also Ridge Community HS opened shortly thereafter.  Haines City hasn't been the same since.  

It was his last season there.  He went to Pearl River Community College in Mississippi, where he won a national title two years later.