Week 8 Playoff Points Update

DisabledAccount

18 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

I really dislike this system!!!

You do realize Miami Central is one of the biggest beneficiaries of this system right

Before you had teams who only had to get 1 win a season by beating a winless school to make playoffs while schools in real districts had to fight just to make it and while 1-9 teams are in playoffs you would have teams sitting at home that would beat that 1-9 team by 70 points 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You do realize Miami Central is one of the biggest beneficiaries of this system right

Before you had teams who only had to get 1 win a season by beating a winless school to make playoffs while schools in real districts had to fight just to make it and while 1-9 teams are in playoffs you would have teams sitting at home that would beat that 1-9 team by 70 points 

Trust me, I remember the old system too. How is that teams like MC, CC, etc have some of the toughest schedules in the state/nation, yet averages below teams with weaker schedules. Last year Armwood was the number 1 overall seed in 6A and there's a good chance that a team from the north will be it this year too. But they don't play anybody. MC has or 4 nationally ranked teams on their schedule and if the playoffs started today would be a 5 seed in region 1 based on average. Are you kidding me?They would blow through that region with ease. The FHSAA is a lazy organization! Just my thoughts.

3 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

Trust me, I remember the old system too. How is that teams like MC, CC, etc have some of the toughest schedules in the state/nation, yet averages below teams with weaker schedules. Last year Armwood was the number 1 overall seed in 6A and there's a good chance that a team from the north will be it this year too. But they don't play anybody. MC has or 4 nationally ranked teams on their schedule and if the playoffs started today would be a 5 seed in region 1 based on average. Are you kidding me?They would blow through that region with ease. The FHSAA is a lazy organization! Just my thoughts.

It's easy for south Florida teams to schedule tons of elite teams because they are all in close proximity 

The rest of the state doesn't have the same situation in their favor 

Up here in my area you would be lucky to find 2 elite teams within 2 hours of you

In south Florida you may find 2 elite teams within a block of each other 

And it's ridiculous to ask a North Florida team to travel 7 hours every week to play a South Florida team just to "upgrade their schedule"

And there isn't home field advantage at state so who cares if the North or South team has a higher point total because it has no impact on the games in Orlando 

15 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's easy for south Florida teams to schedule tons of elite teams because they are all in close proximity 

The rest of the state doesn't have the same situation in their favor 

Up here in my area you would be lucky to find 2 elite teams within 2 hours of you

In south Florida you may find 2 elite teams within a block of each other 

And it's ridiculous to ask a North Florida team to travel 7 hours every week to play a South Florida team just to "upgrade their schedule"

And there isn't home field advantage at state so who cares if the North or South team has a higher point total because it has no impact on the games in Orlando 

No one's asking a school from the north to travel 7-8 for a game, but the FHSAA should not reward teams with weak schedules higher points. And NO team should get points for a loss!

2 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

No one's asking a school from the north to travel 7-8 for a game, but the FHSAA should not reward teams with weak schedules higher points. And NO team should get points for a loss!

This is a conflicting statement

You are saying teams with weaker schedules shouldnt be rewarded but also that losses should count for nothing

Either you got to reward teams for scheduling tough or all wins have to count

People need to decide which is more important 

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This is a conflicting statement

You are saying teams with weaker schedules shouldnt be rewarded but also that losses should count for nothing

Either you got to reward teams for scheduling tough or all wins have to count

People need to decide which is more important 

If you get no points for a loss you would be stupid to schedule tough. The trick is how to award the right points for a tough loss. Tied in to that is how much the prior year should count as sometimes teams decline dramatically from one year to the next, a prime example being Dr. Phillips this year. 

8 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Idc what system they use as long as they keep actual seeding

That stone age flip every year bull isn't worthy to manage the Wyoming middle school football playoffs, much less the high school playoffs of a powerhouse state like FL 

might as well throw everyone's name in to a hat and draw them out.  

I have made my point on the playoff system numerous times. But like all ranking systems, give it to the end of the year to be a true reflection of the success of a team and not after 7 weeks. District games haven't been played yet, and complete schedules haven't been played yet.

I will continue to say that a system that has a team worrying if some teams wins on a field that they will never play on determines who wins and loses, that is a problem. The gap between wins and losses is not high enough. Teams are learning the hard way that the old scheduling didn't actual stop them from playing anybody difficult, because if you lost it you could still make the playoffs. Now, the system punishes team for losing to challenging opponents.

Again, the FHSAA went to the extreme with this system when most of the problems could be solved with simply removing 1 classification, extending 2A population numbers up to about 450, and 3A from 450 to 900 and equally dividing everyone.

Or they should take the largest 256 teams put them in the largest classification of 32 districts (8 teams a district). Required them to play each other, top 3 teams move on. "Playoff" teams would be ranked by size, with the largest 32 teams in Division 1, next in Division 2, and smallest in Division 3. So in theory all 3 teams from the same district could end in the same playoffs or 3 different ones depending on their size. 

Finally a third option is to go back to the old champions/runner-ups and move champions up a classification and teams with worst district records down.  

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I have made my point on the playoff system numerous times. But like all ranking systems, give it to the end of the year to be a true reflection of the success of a team and not after 7 weeks. District games haven't been played yet, and complete schedules haven't been played yet.

I will continue to say that a system that has a team worrying if some teams wins on a field that they will never play on determines who wins and loses, that is a problem. The gap between wins and losses is not high enough. Teams are learning the hard way that the old scheduling didn't actual stop them from playing anybody difficult, because if you lost it you could still make the playoffs. Now, the system punishes team for losing to challenging opponents.

Again, the FHSAA went to the extreme with this system when most of the problems could be solved with simply removing 1 classification, extending 2A population numbers up to about 450, and 3A from 450 to 900 and equally dividing everyone.

Or they should take the largest 256 teams put them in the largest classification of 32 districts (8 teams a district). Required them to play each other, top 3 teams move on. "Playoff" teams would be ranked by size, with the largest 32 teams in Division 1, next in Division 2, and smallest in Division 3. So in theory all 3 teams from the same district could end in the same playoffs or 3 different ones depending on their size. 

Finally a third option is to go back to the old champions/runner-ups and move champions up a classification and teams with worst district records down.  

Columbia has a loss on our schedule and is still higher in points then anyone in the state

Is that loss really punishing us? We are nearly 6 points ahead of next closest team in the region, the problem is you have teams that either play such crap schedules that any loss basically crushes their points or you have teams scheduling way too extreme (BTW last year perfect example and I'm sure others can point out similar examples)

The problem is that teams are either trying to game the system or didn't do the research to set themselves up in a manageable situation 

Yes adjustments need to be made and removing a class or 2 will make this system more effective because the issues we are seeing currently are in the small classes who eliminated districts (which they asked for) and the regions being so damn small

I dare you to find more problems in regions of 5-8a then in the previous system,  the large school classifications are better for these changes

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I dare you to find more problems in regions of 5-8a then in the previous system,  the large school classifications are better for these changes

The changes had nothing to do with the system being better, they simply removed the thing that all of us complained about (2 team districts). The current system still has 3 team districts. That had nothing to do with the new system, it could have been accomplished under the old system.

Did Columbia not want to play Bolles before the "new" system?
Did Columbia not want to play Madison before the "new" system?

Columbia is benefiting from the system right now, because they won the games. Now, imagine them splitting their games with GHS and Buchholz, and splitting their games with Bolles and Trinity Christian. Again, explain me to why Columbia couldn't have had the exact same schedule in previous years? Columbia is currently benefiting that some of the teams that you dog (Gainesville and Buccholz) are having above average seasons, but if they go 5-5. you guys lose 3 points just from that. 

Again, they made the radical changes without making the small sensible changes first and seeing if it works. They are the people who decided to get liposuction surgery instead of just cutting out soda and sweets. Make the small changes (reducing a classification, extending 2A and 3A population up to increase number of teams).

Booker T Washington not in the playoffs last year for example. They played one of the toughest schedules in the state (American Heritage-Plantation, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central, Columbus, Chaminade-Madonna).  3 of those teams were state champions. Despite that where do they end up in terms of playoffs, outside looking in. 

The new system rewards a Category 1 Loss to a playoff team with 38 points and a Category 4 Win with 35 points. You literally make more points for losing a game than winning the same game. You are telling me that isn't a problem.

The idea that it switches each year is fine. It is the idea of taking a turn. Besides if your team is really that good, they should be able to win at home or on the road. In the NCAA Basketball tournament, all games are on the road essentially. 

Let me go further, one of the reasons they wanted the new system is because it would encourage "Independents" to enter into the District/Regional system which would help alleviate many of the problems we gripe about in terms of a lack of teams in 2A and 3A. 

So let's see if it is true.

In 2016, the FHSAA lists 92 independent teams. In 2018, the FHSAA lists 57 teams as independents. 30 teams from 2016 are currently in districts that were not in 2016. 1 6A, 1 5A, 7 4A, 9 3A, 10 2A, and 2 1A.  You might be saying that's not bad, 30 teams out of 92 joining, but we were led to believe there would be more. Did it really improve the product if those 30 teams joined? 1 of 3 teams (mostly in 2A and 3A). 30 teams spread over 5 different classifications is that really enough to bring up the regions or districts to reasonable numbers. 

13 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The changes had nothing to do with the system being better, they simply removed the thing that all of us complained about (2 team districts). The current system still has 3 team districts. That had nothing to do with the new system, it could have been accomplished under the old system.

Did Columbia not want to play Bolles before the "new" system?
Did Columbia not want to play Madison before the "new" system?

Columbia is benefiting from the system right now, because they won the games. Now, imagine them splitting their games with GHS and Buchholz, and splitting their games with Bolles and Trinity Christian. Again, explain me to why Columbia couldn't have had the exact same schedule in previous years? Columbia is currently benefiting that some of the teams that you dog (Gainesville and Buccholz) are having above average seasons, but if they go 5-5. you guys lose 3 points just from that. 

Again, they made the radical changes without making the small sensible changes first and seeing if it works. They are the people who decided to get liposuction surgery instead of just cutting out soda and sweets. Make the small changes (reducing a classification, extending 2A and 3A population up to increase number of teams).

Booker T Washington not in the playoffs last year for example. They played one of the toughest schedules in the state (American Heritage-Plantation, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central, Columbus, Chaminade-Madonna).  3 of those teams were state champions. Despite that where do they end up in terms of playoffs, outside looking in. 

The new system rewards a Category 1 Loss to a playoff team with 38 points and a Category 4 Win with 35 points. You literally make more points for losing a game than winning the same game. You are telling me that isn't a problem.

The idea that it switches each year is fine. It is the idea of taking a turn. Besides if your team is really that good, they should be able to win at home or on the road. In the NCAA Basketball tournament, all games are on the road essentially. 

Yeah but only one is guaranteed to make playoffs not 2

Huge difference 

We have had this kind of schedule in old system and you know this

But before none of those wins counted for shit besides a non conference game that did nothing to help us in playoffs, I'm perfectly fine with every game counting because I'm not worried about us not being in the playoffs any year because we can actually hold our own year to year basis but you know this as well in fact the only thing that really makes this team look so better than last 2 years is this year we will win district, if we couldn't beat teams like Gainesville and Buchholz then i know our team won't go far anyway and i start preparing for the next sport on the docket that might be able to contend 

That's because Columbia has been very talented lately and when Columbia is at that level there isn't a ton of North Florida teams that can beat them. When Gainesville last beat Columbia in football they were getting basically all the studs in the Gainesville area. The last time Buchholz won they were getting Columbia coming in out of focus on a short week and took full advantage of it. Both are solid teams in the area but Columbia as a whole is more talented and better coached then those 2 are. 

I agree cutting classes would help and i actually like the updated proposal for the other sports,  i like the new seeding idea,  i like the not mandating district games,  i like stronger districts being able to get more than 2 teams

I think that was a simple and great fix that i hope passes

Which is why point totals for losses went up which is what is causing teams in other parts of state with 1 win to be in position to make playoffs, they could have kept districts and simply fixed some of the smaller regions by cutting classes and replacing runner ups with wild cards like in large classifications 

However you will never change my mind on the seeding and wild cards in large classifications being a upgrade because i don't see either as a downside 

That is a problem, Bartow getting more for losing to Lakeland than Lakeland gets for winning is a issue and i said this in another thread so you won't catch me saying otherwise, however that is a issue that can be fixed by readjusting the point totals given out

Maybe what they could do is increase gap for cat 1 wins and put cat 1 losses back down a few points to where they are last year

It would help teams who beat those cat 1 teams but also prevent a situation like Bartow vs Lakeland from continuing in future years or maybe do what they considering for other sports and make teams not required to play district opponents or maybe let teams set up conferences themselves 

All I'm saying is there are ways to fix it

No it means teams get home games without earning it

You telling me in 2015 when Lincoln had a losing record they deserved to host round 2 against us? We blasted them so it didn't matter much after but explain how they were more deserving, we would have made a hell a lot more money if game was in Lake City, Lincoln brought crap numbers to the game because they had the county fair or something 

In fact last 3 years we went there we brought more fans as a road team

10 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Let me go further, one of the reasons they wanted the new system is because it would encourage "Independents" to enter into the District/Regional system which would help alleviate many of the problems we gripe about in terms of a lack of teams in 2A and 3A. 

So let's see if it is true.

In 2016, the FHSAA lists 92 independent teams. In 2018, the FHSAA lists 57 teams as independents. 30 teams from 2016 are currently in districts that were not in 2016. 1 6A, 1 5A, 7 4A, 9 3A, 10 2A, and 2 1A.  You might be saying that's not bad, 30 teams out of 92 joining, but we were led to believe there would be more. Did it really improve the product if those 30 teams joined? 1 of 3 teams (mostly in 2A and 3A). 30 teams spread over 5 different classifications is that really enough to bring up the regions or districts to reasonable numbers. 

Honestly if they would just cut a class or 2 then it would solve the main issue of having regions that are too small

Do i need to go into detail with the numbers in each of these small class regions? 

Another thing is 1a needs to be willing to either increase their cutoff numbers or maybe this idea

Split 1a into 2 regions instead of 4 so each region would have more teams because those regions in 1a are way too small and with 6 teams per region making playoffs it will not be a good result especially with how many are close to being forced out by being over cutoff line 

Also they need to let Newberry, Fort White and Taylor County into 1a

Idc what the cutoff is they are all isolated enough and the teams whining about them are probably same teams who can't compete now anyway 

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah but only one is guaranteed to make playoffs not 2

Huge difference 

(A) We have had this kind of schedule in old system and you know this

But before none of those wins counted for shit besides a non conference game that did nothing to help us in playoffs, I'm perfectly fine with every game counting because I'm not worried about us not being in the playoffs any year because we can actually hold our own year to year basis but you know this as well in fact the only thing that really makes this team look so better than last 2 years is this year we will win district, if we couldn't beat teams like Gainesville and Buchholz then i know our team won't go far anyway and i start preparing for the next sport on the docket that might be able to contend 

That's because Columbia has been very talented lately and when Columbia is at that level there isn't a ton of North Florida teams that can beat them. When Gainesville last beat Columbia in football they were getting basically all the studs in the Gainesville area. (B) The last time Buchholz won they were getting Columbia coming in out of focus on a short week and took full advantage of it. Both are solid teams in the area but Columbia as a whole is more talented and better coached then those 2 are. 

I agree cutting classes would help and i actually like the updated proposal for the other sports,  i like the new seeding idea,  i like the not mandating district games,  i like stronger districts being able to get more than 2 teams

I think that was a simple and great fix that i hope passes

(C) Which is why point totals for losses went up which is what is causing teams in other parts of state with 1 win to be in position to make playoffs, they could have kept districts and simply fixed some of the smaller regions by cutting classes and replacing runner ups with wild cards like in large classifications 

However you will never change my mind on the seeding and wild cards in large classifications being a upgrade because i don't see either as a downside 

(C) That is a problem, Bartow getting more for losing to Lakeland than Lakeland gets for winning is a issue and i said this in another thread so you won't catch me saying otherwise, however that is a issue that can be fixed by readjusting the point totals given out

Maybe what they could do is increase gap for cat 1 wins and put cat 1 losses back down a few points to where they are last year

It would help teams who beat those cat 1 teams but also prevent a situation like Bartow vs Lakeland from continuing in future years or maybe do what they considering for other sports and make teams not required to play district opponents or maybe let teams set up conferences themselves 

All I'm saying is there are ways to fix it

No it means teams get home games without earning it

(D) You telling me in 2015 when Lincoln had a losing record they deserved to host round 2 against us? We blasted them so it didn't matter much after but explain how they were more deserving, we would have made a hell a lot more money if game was in Lake City, Lincoln brought crap numbers to the game because they had the county fair or something 

In fact last 3 years we went there we brought more fans as a road team

(A) I do know that and that is the point, the old system did not stop you from scheduling this way. One of the reasons that "new" system is supposed to be better is that it encourages teams to schedule tougher, but NOTHING stopped them from scheduling tough before. And looking at the schedules state-wide, I am not sure we are seeing anymore big name match-ups that we did before. 

(B) This is what I often mean when you don't give your opponents any respect and instead make excuses. Were they not on a short week as well? Why does the short week only affect Columbia and not BHS? If I remember correctly that was a game where Columbia had a 20+ lead and blew it. 

(C) You can't have it both ways, you can't say that we should raise points and then blast the situation it creates. Again, an ill thought solution to a problem, they went with a quick fix instead of the fix that could have some research behind it. I told you the first example they put out of this, I was able to get 0-10 (Creekside/Oakleaf) into the playoffs based on their scoring. 

(D) Earn a playoff game? These are high schoolers, any game is a good game no matter where that game is played. Money isn't in the equation and you know it. If it was, 2A, 3A, and 4A would be merged into 1 classification to allow more large public schools to make the playoffs. 

Again, it is not solving the issue. As other have pointed out that you don't even have to play teams in any classification. You can play all independent teams, win, and make the playoffs. This system didn't fix problems it just created new ones. 

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

(A) I do know that and that is the point, the old system did not stop you from scheduling this way. One of the reasons that "new" system is supposed to be better is that it encourages teams to schedule tougher, but NOTHING stopped them from scheduling tough before. And looking at the schedules state-wide, I am not sure we are seeing anymore big name match-ups that we did before. 

(B) This is what I often mean when you don't give your opponents any respect and instead make excuses. Were they not on a short week as well? Why does the short week only affect Columbia and not BHS? If I remember correctly that was a game where Columbia had a 20+ lead and blew it. 

(C) You can't have it both ways, you can't say that we should raise points and then blast the situation it creates. Again, an ill thought solution to a problem, they went with a quick fix instead of the fix that could have some research behind it. I told you the first example they put out of this, I was able to get 0-10 (Creekside/Oakleaf) into the playoffs based on their scoring. 

(D) Earn a playoff game? These are high schoolers, any game is a good game no matter where that game is played. Money isn't in the equation and you know it. If it was, 2A, 3A, and 4A would be merged into 1 classification to allow more large public schools to make the playoffs. 

Again, it is not solving the issue. As other have pointed out that you don't even have to play teams in any classification. You can play all independent teams, win, and make the playoffs. This system didn't fix problems it just created new ones. 

(A) 

True maybe the new system didn't exactly encourage better matchups honestly because the ones playing tough schedules now are same ones that were doing so before,  blame the teams who don't have guts to step up competition 

What i said is that the new system rewards a team like Columbia who generally wins a average between 7-9 games every regular season even with a tough schedule for a team in this area and with seeding we are one of the schools benefiting the most from it

In fact remember last year that until we lost to Bolles week 11 we had highest point totals in region even with 2 losses and finishing second in region,  had we beaten Lee we would have been 1 seed in last year playoffs as well even with losses to Madison County and Bolles 

(B)

If i remembered correctly buchholz didn't play because the area cancelled games that week 2 but we drove over to Jacksonville on a Saturday to Play Trinity Christian but if you finished reading the statement i did give them credit "They took Full advantage of it" that was giving them credit,  they had a opportunity to face us when we weren't at our best and took advantage of it,  you probably one of those people who think every team goes into every game at their best Huh?? 

My statement didn't take away their win,  it only pointed out that buchholz took advantage of their opportunity which is part of the game, we would have done same thing without hesitation if roles were reversed (and probably have even though i can't think of a instant off my head from my time in high school but if i look back far enough I'll probably find one) 

(C) no I'm saying we should only raise the totals for cat 1 wins and we should lower cat 1 losses back to last year total 

It creates that idea that you take a risk with tough scheduling but rewards teams who win those games more than the others out there

(D) 

Home Field Advantage is one of those things that symbolizes being best in your region, you earn right to host every game in your backyard, i do feel it should be earned 

If you can't agree then agree to disagree because that's where i stand

Same with seeding and wild cards over runner ups

3 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

One question I have is how the new system affects the mindset of the fan.  District games were a big deal in the past because that was the way to the playoffs.  So, every district game was a big game and it was easy to get the most clueless of fans excited about such contests without a lot of explanation.  Games where a district title was on the line sometimes created a lot of local excitement and big crowds.   The district race kept fans interested week-to-week.

I can see all but the most hardcore of fans today being rather lost about the whole playoff picture now and what games are "really" important.   There's a lot to be said for simplicity.   

9 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

One question I have is how the new system affects the mindset of the fan.  District games were a big deal in the past because that was the way to the playoffs.  So, every district game was a big game and it was easy to get the most clueless of fans excited about such contests without a lot of explanation.  Games where a district title was on the line sometimes created a lot of local excitement and big crowds.   The district race kept fans interested week-to-week.

I can see all but the most hardcore of fans today being rather lost about the whole playoff picture now and what games are "really" important.   There's a lot to be said for simplicity.   

They could just take my approach 

Treat every game as important as they should be

"in our striving for perfection we will not achieve it but we will attain excellence"

Not a exact quote but very close to it,  made by Vince Lombardi and I'm sure he knew the sport better than anyone I've met would,  well unless someone i know has won 5 NFL championships and 2 Super bowls and never had a losing season as a head coach