Lakeland 50 Kathleen 0

Legion37

40 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

I don't think anyone has booked Lakeland to come out of the north. In the end, we all defend the team we support. Lakeland (City, school, alumni, fans) all have very high expectations for the team every year. Yes, there is legitimate criticism for Lakeland's schedule (see my previous post about scheduling hits & misses). But, we'll find out how good they really are starting next week. Then, one way or the other, the proof will be in the results.

As stated earlier......even in championship years, Lakeland never had the toughest schedule. So, we'll see over the next few weeks how that works out this season.

10 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

That was the whole point.  Some assume that because a team doesn't have as tough of a schedule as someone else, they won't win the championship, and that's just not the case.  

There is this "myth" that from 2004-2007 that Lakeland had no competition in the playoffs and an easy path to the finals.  From what I can remember and from what the record books say, that wasn't the case.  Niceville and Mainland were the first I recalled.  I had forgotten until I looked it up, 2004 Hillsborough was unbeaten when Lakeland played them in the playoffs.  

The Seminole team that beat Northwestern for the 2008 6A title did not play a particularly tough schedule while the Bulls had an absolutely brutal one.  Likewise, the 2005 Palm Beach Gardens team that won the 6A state title played what some might consider a weak schedule. 

St Thomas Aquinas, Dwyer, Plant, Armwood, Lakeland, and Apopka have all won multiple state titles and had schedules in certain years that some may criticize as "weak" or "average."  What did these 6 teams all have in common?  ..a great coach...who knew how to run efficient practices and prepare his kids physically and mentally for big games.  These results speak for themselves.  Some great coaches know how to get the most out of their teams regardless of their schedule.  

2 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

I don't think anyone has booked Lakeland to come out of the north. In the end, we all defend the team we support. Lakeland (City, school, alumni, fans) all have very high expectations for the team every year. Yes, there is legitimate criticism for Lakeland's schedule (see my previous post about scheduling hits & misses). But, we'll find out how good they really are starting next week. Then, one way or the other, the proof will be in the results.

As stated earlier......even in championship years, Lakeland never had the toughest schedule. So, we'll see over the next few weeks how that works out this season.

I do agree a team doesn't always need a tough schedule to win

I do however feel that there is a possibility (not saying it happens but a possibility) that since Lakeland hasn't truly been tested since Apopka in week 3 that if they get down say 14-0 in 1st quarter there is a possibility they may be caught off-guard and it could lead to them getting upset in playoffs simply because they aren't used to playing from behind 

Again not saying it does happen only that it's possible, it wouldn't be like that has never happened to great teams before and I'm sure even Lakeland has been caught off-guard like that before

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The Seminole team that beat Northwestern for the 2008 6A title did not play a particularly tough schedule while the Bulls had an absolutely brutal one.  Likewise, the 2005 Palm Beach Gardens team that won the 6A state title played what some might consider a weak schedule. 

St Thomas Aquinas, Dwyer, Plant, Armwood, Lakeland, and Apopka have all won multiple state titles and had schedules in certain years that some may criticize as "weak" or "average."  What did these 6 teams all have in common?  ..a great coach...who knew how to run efficient practices and prepare his kids physically and mentally for big games.  These results speak for themselves.  Some great coaches know how to get the most out of their teams regardless of their schedule.  

That Gardens team lost to Vero who barely missed the playoffs that year, had a winning record as well and that district was a good one too

46 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I do agree a team doesn't always need a tough schedule to win

I do however feel that there is a possibility (not saying it happens but a possibility) that since Lakeland hasn't truly been tested since Apopka in week 3 that if they get down say 14-0 in 1st quarter there is a possibility they may be caught off-guard and it could lead to them getting upset in playoffs simply because they aren't used to playing from behind 

Again not saying it does happen only that it's possible, it wouldn't be like that has never happened to great teams before and I'm sure even Lakeland has been caught off-guard like that before

Make sure your defense shows up when you play them! LOL!  

16 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Make sure your defense shows up when you play them! LOL!  

I ain't worrying about Lakeland quite yet

2015 i was all ready for us to play Lakeland in 4th round then they lost to Viera and I had to go digging to find out who the hell viera was

This time I'll focus on our region and if Lakeland makes it I'll focus on them when the week comes 

16 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I ain't worrying about Lakeland quite yet

2015 i was all ready for us to play Lakeland in 4th round then they lost to Viera and I had to go digging to find out who the hell viera was

This time I'll focus on our region and if Lakeland makes it I'll focus on them when the week comes 

We all had to do that in 2015. :)

There are two big positives I see in Lakeland this year.

1. They do not have the ego's that have been on the team in year's past. That is a big thing that has been noticed by those who are around the team on a consistent basis.

2. They have shown consistent improvement this season. The past few years, they have peaked in the middle of the season, then struggled offensively for the last 4-5 games of the season. Especially in the QB position. This year, they have returned back to a traditional Lakeland style offense and Ski McWilliams has been getting better and better each week. Not to mention he is finally healthy after struggling the first 5 or so weeks with a hamstring injury.

What this will amount to......who knows? But it's been fun to watch so far.