Are Private Schools Being Threatened?

OldSchoolLion

I realize this article is not directly related to football, but it raises a question in my head about private schools and why some appear to be so gung-ho about building sports dynasties...is it all about marketing?  I don't think this phenomenon of private schools closing is happening solely in Michigan.  Some of our Catholic schools in FL have been forced to merge, ie Chaminade/Madonna, Archbishop Curley/Monsignor Pace just a few years ago.  

I really don't think there is some sports-crazy priest out their with visions of grandeur to rule FL hs sports.  There has got to be more to it.  We are quick to criticize private schools for recruiting, but think about it...they do not have a captive audience like public schools.  In some way or form, they HAVE to "recruit" their entire student body or they will go out of business.  The question is where to draw the line between ethical and unethical practices.  

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/05/28/michigan-private-schools-closing-catholic/3757380002/

The story does not tell us if they are high schools or not. My guess is that they aren't. Even in New Jersey, many Catholic churches have closed their grammar schools for many of the reasons described in the articles. At the same time, the high schools continue on.

New Jersey had one of the best basketball teams in the country back in the 1990s called Paterson Catholic, but they were a victim of changing demographics and people not paying their tuition in a economically disadvantaged areas. 

Don't worry about Florida though. If Governor DeSantis and his Republican colleagues have their way, every kid will get a voucher and will be able to go to any school they want. Just give it 5 years at most. 

On 5/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, gatorman-uf said:

The story does not tell us if they are high schools or not. My guess is that they aren't. Even in New Jersey, many Catholic churches have closed their grammar schools for many of the reasons described in the articles. At the same time, the high schools continue on.

New Jersey had one of the best basketball teams in the country back in the 1990s called Paterson Catholic, but they were a victim of changing demographics and people not paying their tuition in a economically disadvantaged areas. 

Don't worry about Florida though. If Governor DeSantis and his Republican colleagues have their way, every kid will get a voucher and will be able to go to any school they want. Just give it 5 years at most. 

No question. The goal all along has been to divert public, taxpayer $ to private Christian schools. Charter schools are mostly just part of the ploy, so as to be fit under the umbrella of "school choice". But, really, nobody gives a f*ck about school choice. They want those $ to go to CHRISTIAN schools. Period. And, given the lack of support for and/or understanding of the First Amendment, this goal seems to be merely a matter of time before it is realized. 

*(Hoping a Muslim or secular private school starts getting huge amounts of $. LMAO)