Quantcast
Jump to content

Who Is This FL HS Legend? Travis Henry/Frostproof


Recommended Posts


6 hours ago, skyway said:

Kind of vague on the hints. Travis Henry of Frostproof comes to mind. But, could be many others I suppose.

It is Travis Henry.  Let's see if we can answer the rest of the questions now.  Please understand that the folks on this Board represent the Mensa of FL hs football.  If I made the questions too easy, they would be insulted and run me off of here.:)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It is Travis Henry.  Let's see if we can answer the rest of the questions now.  Please understand that the folks on this Board represent the Mensa of FL hs football.  If I made the questions too easy, they would be insulted and run me off of here.:)

 

haha ok. My friend muckboy has beaten me to the punch on the last part. I think it was 60-something to 30-something in the final score. That was a dynasty there for UC. I was a student at UF then, rooting for them to finally lose. haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skyway said:

haha ok. My friend muckboy has beaten me to the punch on the last part. I think it was 60-something to 30-something in the final score. That was a dynasty there for UC. I was a student at UF then, rooting for them to finally lose. haha

You gotta watch that muckboy...he sneaky

1996 3A final Union County 67 Frostproof 30 in Daytona Beach

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, muckboy561 said:

Lake Bulter Union County

National single-season rushing record

In 1996, playing for Frostproof High, Travis Henry rushed for 4087 yards and 34 TD's , averaging 11.3 yards per carry.  In the 3A state title game in Daytona Beach, Henry rushed for a state title game record 328 yards.  That effort enabled him to break a 43 year-old national record for the most rushing yards in a season.  Unfortunately, it was not enough, and Frostproof lost the title game to two-time defending state champion Union County.   

That season, he shattered the state single-season rushing record of 2,969 yards set by University Christian's Willie McClendon in 1987.  He rushed for 14 straight 200-yard games and finished with 19 in all.  Henry finished his hs career with 7,221 rushing yards and 79 touchdowns.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've spent the last several years watching all of the full length versions of old college football games I can find on youtube, one season at a time (I started with the mid 1960s since that is when CF started to be televised regularly). I'm finishing up 1987 as we speak. That was the year Emmit Smith burst on the scene at UF. Your last comment involving Willie McClendon reminds me of those late 80s, when many thought McClendon might overtake Emmitt. Silly stuff! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skyway said:

I've spent the last several years watching all of the full length versions of old college football games I can find on youtube, one season at a time (I started with the mid 1960s since that is when CF started to be televised regularly). I'm finishing up 1987 as we speak. That was the year Emmit Smith burst on the scene at UF. Your last comment involving Willie McClendon reminds me of those late 80s, when many thought McClendon might overtake Emmitt. Silly stuff! 

I love it..thats awesome

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

I love it..thats awesome

It's been brutal at times. The quality and complexity/creativity involved in the game in the 60s and 70s and somewhat in the 80s was quite poor. But, I enjoy getting a deeper perspective and understanding of what the game was like back then than you can get just from reading old newspaper articles or watching 30 for 30 type of shows. And of course there are some aspects of the sport that were better then. Much more passion and commitment to the team; no instant replay fouling up authentic reactions to the outcome of plays for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Way more athleticism involved in todays game. Most notable is the LB position. The days of the big burly run stopping Middle LB are long gone. Those dudes gotta run and be able to cover in space now. It feels like the safety position players of the 80's are now playing LB in todays ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skyway said:

It's been brutal at times. The quality and complexity/creativity involved in the game in the 60s and 70s and somewhat in the 80s was quite poor. But, I enjoy getting a deeper perspective and understanding of what the game was like back then than you can get just from reading old newspaper articles or watching 30 for 30 type of shows. And of course there are some aspects of the sport that were better then. Much more passion and commitment to the team; no instant replay fouling up authentic reactions to the outcome of plays for example.

 

5 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Way more athleticism involved in todays game. Most notable is the LB position. The days of the big burly run stopping Middle LB are long gone. Those dudes gotta run and be able to cover in space now. It feels like the safety position players of the 80's are now playing LB in todays ball.

You might find this interesting.  There was some serious speed even back in the 70's.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In 1996, playing for Frostproof High, Travis Henry rushed for 4087 yards and 34 TD's , averaging 11.3 yards per carry.  In the 3A state title game in Daytona Beach, Henry rushed for a state title game record 328 yards.  That effort enabled him to break a 43 year-old national record for the most rushing yards in a season.  Unfortunately, it was not enough, and Frostproof lost the title game to two-time defending state champion Union County.   

That season, he shattered the state single-season rushing record of 2,969 yards set by University Christian's Willie McClendon in 1987.  He rushed for 14 straight 200-yard games and finished with 19 in all.  Henry finished his hs career with 7,221 rushing yards and 79 touchdowns.  

Probably the second best RB from the state of Florida with the last name Henry to ever play.   B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

 

You might find this interesting.  There was some serious speed even back in the 70's.

 

 

Yup, went through all of those games! The 70s saw a large shift in size and athleticism over the course of the decade. Players at the end of the decade tended to be bigger and faster than their counterparts in the early 70s, to a greater degree than the typical decade. The major shift of the 80s was more towards the passing game. It's surprised me to see the 1987 Auburn team was known as a mediocre running team, but a pretty good passing team. Between their defense and great RBs, my memory fooled me into thinking they were something else. (Though they weren't that great offensively anyway.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont know how real this is but according to the NFHS, a kid from New Jersey STILL has the all time rushing record for most yards in a season back in 1950 with 4,756 yards. And that was only in 8 games!!!!!

He also holds the record with most yards in a game with 754!!! 

https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=370

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • Excellent point Perspective, that's why they call you that right?  Our Birchler kid was in the same spot behind Mascoe as Trask was behind D'Eriq King.  Mascoe has decommitted from FSU and re-opened his recruitment where Birchler can obviously start on alot of other local teams.  I can't blame him for trying to put some game film together for a chance at a college scholarship somewhere.  I do think he is that good.  
    • Exactly because you can’t tell me a iMG vs Miami central KOC wouldn’t be played as a real game.    also if you’re a Florida team playing a out of state game home or away as a KOC that counts as your first official game.
    • Personally, I would have more respect for a kid who stays with his team and the guys he went to battle with all last season (and perhaps even grew up with) than a kid who leaves his teammates behind in search of a gold medallion.  I saw this kid play once last year.   I was impressed.  I was also impressed with Riverview's coaching staff.  But I also know this kid fits the prototype QB that Venice likes to have:  height, good mobility and a strong arm.  I really don't know how Venice's head coach and/or QB coach compares to Riverview's head coach and/or QB coach.  And, when you think about it, it would really be impossible for a kid (or his parent) to be able to compare the two unless he's been talking to someone he shouldn't be talking to.  But, if I'm a college coach, here's what I just learned about the kid:  he has just demonstrated a willingness to pack and go where the grass appears to be greener.  If it comes down to offering this kid or offering another kid, all things being equal, I'm going to go with the kid who has demonstrated more loyalty.   The Kyle Trask kind of kid.  Not the kid that's going to enter the portal because he sees something that looks a little prettier walking down the halls of some other school. Look, I totally get it when a high school kid sees the depth chart and realizes that he's never going to beat out the starting QB and knows he has the talent to get a scholarship if he can only show his ability on the field.   I understand it when that kid transfers.   But this kid was already the starting QB and he was playing for a team that had success last year and likely will have success this year.    Not throwing shade on anyone (especially anyone on this board), but now I'm kind of hoping that Riverview and Venice end up playing each other in the playoffs and that Riverview gets the W. 
    • As for Osceola, the only 7A team that has shown any type of success versus STA is Lakeland not Venice.  And we had to consistently try to get by them before we had a crack at STA in the finals.  The past is the past and yes we like our chances better in 8A just like Venice does.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...