Quantcast
Jump to content

Height & Weight of Players Over Past 100 years


Recommended Posts

Interesting graphic....

https://noahveltman.com/nflplayers/

Interesting comment..."Nowadays if you're 6' 3" and 280 pounds, you're too big for most skill positions and too small to play line."

It's fascinating how over time people of a certain stature have been "squeezed out" of D1 football and/or NFL positions.  40 years ago a skilled, 6'3" 280 guy would be a lineman in the NFL.  Nowadays that guy would likely not be starting on a Power 5 team at any position.

I wonder if in the future the same will be said for the 6'4" 300 -pound lineman?  Will they be too big and too small to play on an NFL team?  Everything is becoming more and more specialized.  With participation in football already declining in some areas, this level of specialization is a bit concerning.  Years ago, one saw kids of all shapes and sizes playing hs football.  Not anymore, at least not in the hs football hot spot areas.  Combine that with the growing concern over concussions and parents not allowing kids to play football, and I worry what football in the future will have to offer the "average" kid compared to other sports that seem to offer kids of more varying body types the opportunity to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another way of putting it...the "big" kid always had a place in hs football.  As a hs coach, when that big kid showed up on the practice field, you said, "Son, we'll find a place for you somewhere."

Now only the giant and/or fast kid has a place.  In terms of the average population, a 6'0" 230 pound high schooler is a BIG kid.  But in hs football today, if that kid is slow, there is really not a place for him.  He is too small for the line and too slow for any other position, at least in a state like Florida.      

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Another way of putting it...the "big" kid always had a place in hs football.  As a hs coach, when that big kid showed up on the practice field, you said, "Son, we'll find a place for you somewhere."

Now only the giant and/or fast kid has a place.  In terms of the average population, a 6'0" 230 pound high schooler is a BIG kid.  But in hs football today, if that kid is slow, there is really not a place for him.  He is too small for the line and too slow for any other position, at least in a state like Florida.      

 

That kid may not have a place at one of those private schools like you mentioned above but a many a high school would find a place for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Another way of putting it...the "big" kid always had a place in hs football.  As a hs coach, when that big kid showed up on the practice field, you said, "Son, we'll find a place for you somewhere."

Now only the giant and/or fast kid has a place.  In terms of the average population, a 6'0" 230 pound high schooler is a BIG kid.  But in hs football today, if that kid is slow, there is really not a place for him.  He is too small for the line and too slow for any other position, at least in a state like Florida.      

 

 

16 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

That kid may not have a place at one of those private schools like you mentioned above but a many a high school would find a place for him.

He would certainly still have a place on many good rural and small town teams. In the metro areas, he would have a spot on some teams, but not on the teams with a good shot at a deep playoff run unless he was very quick for his size or very, very strong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the 13 years of coaching the best D-line I ever had was about...

DE - 6'0" 200lbs

NT - 6'1" 262lbs

DE - 6'1" 210lbs

 

We ran a 3-4 and slanted the DL. So we didn't necessarily have to be as big. 

And we played 8A football. Three of the teams in our district made it to the state finals at some point. (Miramar, Flanagan, Cypress Bay)

Both DE's had back-to-back double-digit seasons for sacks. The NT signed with Western Illinois (1AA). One year we had the #1 defense in the entire county. The 2 DE's were absolutely relentless and very polished technicians. 

I've coached Corners who signed with P5 teams. But one of the best HIGH SCHOOL CB's I ever coached was a (maybe) 5'7" 150lb kid who was gonna quit football and focus on lacrosse until he met me. Ultra competitive kid. Straight dawg. One of the toughest kids I've ever coached. I was told by the HC that he was "too small" and "got bombed all the time last season". I got there, installed a different scheme, the kid went from being an afterthought to finishing his Senior season with 8 interceptions. (and he dropped at least 3) In the arguably the toughest 8A district in the state at that time. I was told NOT to put this kid out there. He turned out to be our best cover guy. I actually used his LOOKS to bait OC's into throwing his way cause I knew he'd likely pick it off. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3116944/5721c0b590eead5d90c4cdc7

 

Point I'm trying to make is, you can always find a spot for a kid if he's high motor, high effort. I don't give a damn if he's only 6'0" 230lbs. The mistake some HS coaches make is that they act like they're fielding a team to win COLLEGE games. Your job is to win HIGH SCHOOL games. And quite frankly, some of the best HIGH SCHOOL players aren't the most physically gifted. 

Now, you may not win a state title with a roster full of kids like that, cause at some point you'll run into a team like STA and their overall team talent will overwhelm you. But, having a team with a couple guys like that is always valuable IMO. You can win a lot of games with kids like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CoachMacho said:

In the 13 years of coaching the best D-line I ever had was about...

DE - 6'0" 200lbs

NT - 6'1" 262lbs

DE - 6'1" 210lbs

 

We ran a 3-4 and slanted the DL. So we didn't necessarily have to be as big. 

And we played 8A football. Three of the teams in our district made it to the state finals at some point. (Miramar, Flanagan, Cypress Bay)

Both DE's had back-to-back double-digit seasons for sacks. The NT signed with Western Illinois (1AA). One year we had the #1 defense in the entire county. The 2 DE's were absolutely relentless and very polished technicians. 

I've coached Corners who signed with P5 teams. But one of the best HIGH SCHOOL CB's I ever coached was a (maybe) 5'7" 150lb kid who was gonna quit football and focus on lacrosse until he met me. Ultra competitive kid. Straight dawg. One of the toughest kids I've ever coached. I was told by the HC that he was "too small" and "got bombed all the time last season". I got there, installed a different scheme, the kid went from being an afterthought to finishing his Senior season with 8 interceptions. (and he dropped at least 3) In the arguably the toughest 8A district in the state at that time. I was told NOT to put this kid out there. He turned out to be our best cover guy. I actually used his LOOKS to bait OC's into throwing his way cause I knew he'd likely pick it off. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3116944/5721c0b590eead5d90c4cdc7

 

Point I'm trying to make is, you can always find a spot for a kid if he's high motor, high effort. I don't give a damn if he's only 6'0" 230lbs. The mistake some HS coaches make is that they act like they're fielding a team to win COLLEGE games. Your job is to win HIGH SCHOOL games. And quite frankly, some of the best HIGH SCHOOL players aren't the most physically gifted. 

Now, you may not win a state title with a roster full of kids like that, cause at some point you'll run into a team like STA and their overall team talent will overwhelm you. But, having a team with a couple guys like that is always valuable IMO. You can win a lot of games with kids like that. 

Real coaching!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 4:43 PM, Hwy17 said:

That kid may not have a place at one of those private schools like you mentioned above but a many a high school would find a place for him.

IF the coach is smart and will give him a shot.  As Coach Macho mentioned, some folks have a hang-up about what "should" be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CoachMacho said:

In the 13 years of coaching the best D-line I ever had was about...

DE - 6'0" 200lbs

NT - 6'1" 262lbs

DE - 6'1" 210lbs

 

We ran a 3-4 and slanted the DL. So we didn't necessarily have to be as big. 

And we played 8A football. Three of the teams in our district made it to the state finals at some point. (Miramar, Flanagan, Cypress Bay)

Both DE's had back-to-back double-digit seasons for sacks. The NT signed with Western Illinois (1AA). One year we had the #1 defense in the entire county. The 2 DE's were absolutely relentless and very polished technicians. 

I've coached Corners who signed with P5 teams. But one of the best HIGH SCHOOL CB's I ever coached was a (maybe) 5'7" 150lb kid who was gonna quit football and focus on lacrosse until he met me. Ultra competitive kid. Straight dawg. One of the toughest kids I've ever coached. I was told by the HC that he was "too small" and "got bombed all the time last season". I got there, installed a different scheme, the kid went from being an afterthought to finishing his Senior season with 8 interceptions. (and he dropped at least 3) In the arguably the toughest 8A district in the state at that time. I was told NOT to put this kid out there. He turned out to be our best cover guy. I actually used his LOOKS to bait OC's into throwing his way cause I knew he'd likely pick it off. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3116944/5721c0b590eead5d90c4cdc7

 

Point I'm trying to make is, you can always find a spot for a kid if he's high motor, high effort. I don't give a damn if he's only 6'0" 230lbs. The mistake some HS coaches make is that they act like they're fielding a team to win COLLEGE games. Your job is to win HIGH SCHOOL games. And quite frankly, some of the best HIGH SCHOOL players aren't the most physically gifted. 

Now, you may not win a state title with a roster full of kids like that, cause at some point you'll run into a team like STA and their overall team talent will overwhelm you. But, having a team with a couple guys like that is always valuable IMO. You can win a lot of games with kids like that. 

Loved your post, Coach Macho, especially the bolded words above.  That is SO true.  Great job giving that kid a shot.  

To clarify my point above, some kids don't have a place on certain teams today not because they are not deserving..it's because of the narrow-mindedness of certain coach's. 

Years ago, Kathleen gave Lakeland fits for a number of years.  They had D's in the early 2000's which folks today would look at and go "no way" in terms of their size.  But they were straight nasty and really knew how to play as a unit.  Ask Chris Rainey.

Coach Guandolo, who coached at a number of S FL high schools, was a master of getting the most out of kids.  I remember watching a state title game with a central FL coach and seeing one of his teams play.  A number of people thought that team was one of the best teams all classifications in the state.  I can only remember one kid from that team who ended up starting on a D1 team.  But as a team, they were fantastic.  

We were focused on this one O-lineman on that team.  Have no idea what his name name was...he certainly wasn't a heavily recruited kid.  Very lean and am guessing he weighed about 240.  That coach and I were having spasms watching this kid play.  His technique was great and he was dominating play.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a position group that had 3 players on it that went on to start as true freshman at Universities in the ACC Conference. I also had a player in the same position group that was considered too small for big college football. The player that was "undersized" was the only one out of that talented group to make first team all state honors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Oh and by the way those three players are still killing it in the ACC. The "undersized" first team all state player is killing it as a student in college and is one of the smartest people I know. 

It seems to me like too much focus is on getting a scholarship to play division 1 college football.  What's wrong with giving a smaller sized athlete a shot if he can help your team win and perhaps get recruited by a lower division college program?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • FSU is baaaaad.    But, good for those Florida boys!
    • I think the people who thought of the running clock are probably the same people who routinely got their butts kicked when they played football. 
    • The running clock does not assure that a team will back off and avoid injuring players on the opposing team. Having officials fail to enforce the play clock during the running clock can add to the frustrations of players that are hoping to get some actual playing time late in the game, especially when it's apparent that the trailing team is making no effort to run plays in the prescribed time. I think the people who thought of the running clock are probably the same people that came up with participation awards to make every kid a "winner". 
    • I suspect the reason why there is a 'running clock' rule now is because too many times, the opposing coaches didn't see eye to eye on how many points were enough (or how many points were too many) - especially in rivalry games, or when the subs should start playing, or when timeouts should be called, or what plays are appropriate to run, etc.   To a certain extent, the running clock rule was implemented to save a coach from his own pride.  Remember a few years back?  In the third quarter, running clock was "optional" for the team that was getting beat.  It wasn't until the 4th quarter that it was mandatory.   But, too many 'old school' coaches felt like agreeing to running clock in the 3rd quarter was a sign of weakness or, as you put it, throwing in the towel.  So they refused to do it.   And the 35 point differential at the beginning of the 3rd quarter turned into a 50+ differential by the time the 3rd quarter ended.  Hurt egos are one thing.  Hurt players are another story.   I'm pretty sure that's why running clock now becomes mandatory at whatever point in the second half the difference becomes 35 or more.   At that point, it's just a matter of getting the game over with a little sooner to protect the players.  Oh, and it's worth noting that not all schools are as deep as others.  Some schools are lucky to have a full squad of second-stringers. 
    • One thing I will say about some of those 8A schools in the Orlando area is that they've either never had success or they have a student population that doesn't value football. Schools that tend to be large with a heavy population of Hispanic students tend to care more about soccer, baseball and basketball than football. It's mainly because their families didn't grow up watching football so it isn't as big of a deal. A great example is Poinciana. They are historically one of the worst football schools around but they won a State Championship in basketball a few years ago. So the athletes are on the campuses for sure. But if the programs have no history of success then the athletes see no reason to play. Another factor is the laid-back transfer rules. Now, kids can essentially consolidate talent on teams. So that also adds to some of these massive blowouts - especially when districts consist of teams like Cypress Creek being made to play teams like Osceola and Lake Nona. Of course they'll get blown out. It's going to be like that for the foreseeable future though. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...