Jump to content

Teams you probably never heard of


Recommended Posts


Jackson County - 

Florida Industrial School also known as Florida School for Boys in Marianna (1945-1965

 

Calhoun County - 

Altha High (1939-1941 six man football) (1942-1961 eleven man football)

Frink High (1939-1941 six man football) (1942-1952 eleven man football)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Franklin County - 

Carrabelle (1930-2006)

Apalachicola (1929-2006)

Both teams merged to form Franklin County  High 

Anneewakee High in Carrabelle (1981-1986)

 

 

Gadsden County 

Quincy Shanks (1919-2002)

Havana Northside (1978-2002)

Both merged to form East Gadsden 


Greensboro (1971-2003)

Chattahoochee (1925-2003)

Both merged to form West Gadsden 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leon County 

Maranatha Christian (1977-1994)

 

 

Wakulla County - 

Sopchoppy High (1940-1941 six man football) (1947-1966 eleven man football)

Crawfordville High (1939-1942 six man football) (1949-1966 eleven man football)

both merged to form Wakulla County High in 1967


Madison County - 

Greenville High (1924-1979)

Madison High (1920-1979)

both merged to form Madison County High 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamilton County 

Jasper High (1929-1965)

Jennings High (1945?-1965)

both merged to form Hamilton County High 

White Springs (1949-1962 all six man ball)

 

Columbia County - 

Lake City Christian Academy (1998-99 and 2006-07)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played baseball vs Pensacola Christian and football vs Apalachicola.  Also left off Century from the panhandle.

3 stories from my life vs these three teams.

 

Football - we were getting on the bus to go play Apalachicola who believe it or not was ranked #1 in the state and we were 1-5 at the time.  The Principal came on the bus and said I just want you guys to have fun and not get embarrassed.  Well we went to Apalachicola and upset them.  The coach at Apalachicola at the time was Coach Shaw Maddux.  I would later in life coach with him at Osceola. 

 

Baseball - we were playing Panama City Christian.   They had no fence and the school was in deep left field.  I hit a ball probably the farthest I've ever hit one.  I admired it forgetting they had no fence.  It one hopped the school.  I got thrown out at third.  The coach was not happy with me. 

 

I have one about Century as well.  My dad was the head coach in football in the early to mid 1980's and Century was a big rival.  After a close heated game that Century lost some guys out of the stands came onto the field and started a huge brawl between the teams.  Fans got involved and It got real ugly.  One of the worst brawls I've ever seen.  Now I was young at the time but there were lots of people left bloody after it.  Also lost my last high school baseball game at Century.  I think it was Buck Showalter (former MLB player and manager) field maybe not but he went to Century.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, badbird said:

I played baseball vs Pensacola Christian and football vs Apalachicola.  Also left off Century from the panhandle.

3 stories from my life vs these three teams.

 

Football - we were getting on the bus to go play Apalachicola who believe it or not was ranked #1 in the state and we were 1-5 at the time.  The Principal came on the bus and said I just want you guys to have fun and not get embarrassed.  Well we went to Apalachicola and upset them.  The coach at Apalachicola at the time was Coach Shaw Maddux.  I would later in life coach with him at Osceola. 

 

Baseball - we were playing Panama City Christian.   They had no fence and the school was in deep left field.  I hit a ball probably the farthest I've ever hit one.  I admired it forgetting they had no fence.  It one hopped the school.  I got thrown out at third.  The coach was not happy with me. 

 

I have one about Century as well.  My dad was the head coach in football in the early to mid 1980's and Century was a big rival.  After a close heated game that Century lost some guys out of the stands came onto the field and started a huge brawl between the teams.  Fans got involved and It got real ugly.  One of the worst brawls I've ever seen.  Now I was young at the time but there were lots of people left bloody after it.  Also lost my last high school baseball game at Century.  I think it was Buck Showalter (former MLB player and manager) field maybe not but he went to Century.

 

Yeah Century and Ernest Ward (Walnut Hill) merged to form Northview in 96

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Yeah Century and Ernest Ward (Walnut Hill) merged to form Northview in 96

My junior year we got into a fight with Ernest Ward in football.  Now a days everyone would be suspended for 6 games.  No one was ejected lol.  The game had a few minutes left and they just ended the game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, badbird said:

My junior year we got into a fight with Ernest Ward in football.  Now a days everyone would be suspended for 6 games.  No one was ejected lol.  The game had a few minutes left and they just ended the game.  

Did any of the leather helmets get damaged? Obviously there were no face masks then, so did each team try to gouge the other teams player's faces? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, Jambun82 said:

Did any of the leather helmets get damaged? Obviously there were no face masks then, so did each team try to gouge the other teams player's faces? 

No helmets or players were injured.  Good ole WWE wrasslin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



  • Posts

    • With me you know that you will always get a solid, straight answer that you can take to the bank and exchange for cash! In fact, it is same to assume that most message board posters would agree with the quote "That Jambun82 knows what he is talking about" You're welcome for that Perspective.  
    • Thanks Jambun (and thanks for the correction on PF vs UNS).  But, I guess it's like my Momma always told me:  "Officials are like a box of chocolates . . . you never know what you're going to get."  
    • Perspective, the foul would be an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty, not a Personal Foul penalty. Obviously, every official has a different level of tolerance for an objection to a call by a coach or player. The NFHS rules states that a UNS Conduct foul by a non-player includes, but is not limited to, disrespectfully addressing or trying to influence a decision by an official. That is very broad, as you would already know in legalize terms. Certain Coaches reputation procedes them, and the language used by the coach has an effect obviously. Good Head Coaches will instruct their assistant coaches not to voice any objections or complaints to the officials, and a good sideline official will mention to the Head Coach in the pregame that he/she only wants to communicate with the Head Coach. I suppose that the situation comes down to the individual officials tolerance level, with good officials realizing and respecting that Coaches spend all week preparing for a emotional game where circumstances will come up where leeway should be given, and not everything is black and white. It is a fine balancing act.  
    • Jambun, I had to laugh when I read the phrase that the team who got penalized for the PF "must have voiced some sort of objection."   So, with that in mind, and recognizing that all officials have different tolerance levels, what's the general rule of thumb for when words and/or actions rise to the level of a personal foul?   Clearly, coaches voice their displeasure with calls (and non-calls) all the time without triggering a PF.  What's the trigger?   Curse words?  Volume level?  Continuing beyond a certain point (i.e., after the official looks over and says "that's enough, Coach")?  Do you/officials tend to give a coach a little more leeway if you/they start having reservations about the call in dispute? Last, and looking at it from the other side of the issue, what's the most effective way a coach can communicate to an official that he 'respectfully disagrees' with the call that just got made/missed?   
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...