Jump to content

2022 transfer thread


Recommended Posts


22 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

And why does Nassau County have 4 high schools? Makes no sense. Gadsden County has 45,000 people and just merged into one school. 
 

Nassau Co has 85,000 and has 4 high schools.

Realistically, West Nassau and Hilliard should merge together. Combined they would have about 1,700 kids. 

Isn't Hillard a 6-12 school 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gadsden County went from 4 high school to 2 in the early 2000s.  The merger of East and West Gadsden High Schools in 2017 was part of a broader reconfiguration of the county school system due to significant financial struggles.  Public support and sentiment were mixed at the time, and the measure only passed by a 3-2 vote of the school board.  Closing or merging schools in rural areas creates a lot of emotional feelings.  I would guess that Nassau County does not have the political will or financial motivation to take the action you suggest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

I just wanna know how Gadsden County was able to do it, but the 2 Western Nassau County teams can’t. And they are both about the same enrollment that East and West Gadsden was. 

Nolebull, off the top of my head (and thinking in general terms and not Gadsden vs. Nassau terms), I can think of a few reasons:

1.  Some areas of the state may be more motivated by the singular success of their county's football programs vs. all the other aspects of a public school system (cough, cough, Polk, cough cough). 

2.  Merger of schools can be a big political issue, especially in smaller counties.  If two high schools get merged into one, chances are one high school principal is losing his or her job.  Economically, combining two into one may make sense, but when school board member Susan has to go to church on Sunday and explain to her friend Sally why Sally's principal husband Joe no longer has a job, economies of scale are likely to take a back seat.

3.  Although Florida is still growing, some areas of the state are growing a record rates while others are relatively stagnant.  If you live in an area of growth, you probably don't want to combine two schools into one, but instead want to give both schools room to grow. 

4.  Schools are like business and math:  always easier to add than to subtract. 

That's all I've got off the top of my head. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

Nolebull, off the top of my head (and thinking in general terms and not Gadsden vs. Nassau terms), I can think of a few reasons:

1.  Some areas of the state may be more motivated by the singular success of their county's football programs vs. all the other aspects of a public school system (cough, cough, Polk, cough cough). 

2.  Merger of schools can be a big political issue, especially in smaller counties.  If two high schools get merged into one, chances are one high school principal is losing his or her job.  Economically, combining two into one may make sense, but when school board member Susan has to go to church on Sunday and explain to her friend Sally why Sally's principal husband Joe no longer has a job, economies of scale are likely to take a back seat.

3.  Although Florida is still growing, some areas of the state are growing a record rates while others are relatively stagnant.  If you live in an area of growth, you probably don't want to combine two schools into one, but instead want to give both schools room to grow. 

4.  Schools are like business and math:  always easier to add than to subtract. 

That's all I've got off the top of my head. 

Good point that your making. The area of Nassau County could potentially expand meaning gain a bigger population. What you don't want is for more and more people to move in and now you have one school that's now overcrowded. So now you'll have to reopen the school you shut down or build an entirely new school which costs and does Nassau County have the funds to spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what exactly are the transfer rules?  I thought you could go to any school you wanted but we just had a weird situation where one of our players announced his transfer to a nearby school only to have it cancelled a week later due to "illegal recruiting."  This comes after another nearby school poached our two returning team captains without any complaints (and good for those guys, I know they are doing it to enhance their scholarship opportunities).   I just dont understand how this illegal recruiting rule is seemingly arbitrarily enforced?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Yule’s coach came from Rockledge where they know how to attract talent.  If your remotely competent at the game of football and you live in Nassau County, Yulee would be the one school you would want to be at now. They are trending up as much as Nassau County team can. Lol. 

Those are facts. I may check out atleast one of their games this season, along with Merritt Island's trip up here to play Orange Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2022 at 6:17 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

 

 

Fernandina Beach to Yulee

 

Lmao the fact that he mentioned the cheerleaders and not his teammates. But I see what he was trying to do and just thank everyone as a whole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Those are facts. I may check out atleast one of their games this season, along with Merritt Island's trip up here to play Orange Park.

You should come to Lake City when Columbia plays Middleburg

 

It's supposed to be the game we debut the new scoreboard and that game will likely be for the district championship now that Middleburg has been getting transfers in Clay County

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You should come to Lake City when Columbia plays Middleburg

 

It's supposed to be the game we debut the new scoreboard and that game will likely be for the district championship now that Middleburg has been getting transfers in Clay County

Is middleburg any good? I know they had a couple ranked players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

So what exactly are the transfer rules?  I thought you could go to any school you wanted but we just had a weird situation where one of our players announced his transfer to a nearby school only to have it cancelled a week later due to "illegal recruiting."  This comes after another nearby school poached our two returning team captains without any complaints (and good for those guys, I know they are doing it to enhance their scholarship opportunities).   I just dont understand how this illegal recruiting rule is seemingly arbitrarily enforced?

Sounds like someone has receipts.  Perhaps text messages from a coach at the "new" school. 

It'll be interesting to see if the new school self-reports the recruiting violation.   In any event, if the kid was illegally recruited, he could be deemed ineligible and the school could be forced to forfeit any game that he has played in prior to such a ruling (and very few things happen quickly with the FHSAA). 

I'm just doing a little speculating.   Keep us posted as to how this plays out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Sounds like someone has receipts.  Perhaps text messages from a coach at the "new" school. 

It'll be interesting to see if the new school self-reports the recruiting violation.   In any event, if the kid was illegally recruited, he could be deemed ineligible and the school could be forced to forfeit any game that he has played in prior to such a ruling (and very few things happen quickly with the FHSAA). 

I'm just doing a little speculating.   Keep us posted as to how this plays out. 

Well it's a weird situation all around.  Our returning starting QB was seemingly openly marketing himself to other schools since the beginning of spring and it looks like he finally found a buyer.  I was almost relieved he decided to transfer a couple weeks ago since the uncertainty was stressing the kids out.  I'm guessing that since it was not done covertly there was immediately high suspicion of tampering once he found a school.  Now there are questions of if he is even eligible for our school after this?  I'd hate to see a talented kid like him robbed of his senior season.  I dont know the situation directly and I'm getting this info second handedly so take it for what its worth.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

 

 

 

Hawthorne getting a transfer all the way from North Carolina

 

 

I understand why you refer to him as a "transfer," but I  tend to think of this as more of a "kid moved."  If this were IMG, I might be suspicious, but it's frickin' Hawthorne.   Ain't nobody commuting back and forth between Hawthorne and N.C., so I'm pretty sure the kid's family just moved.  I seriously doubt the kid is coming down from N.C. to live with his Auntie for the sole purpose of playing for Hawthorne. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I understand why you refer to him as a "transfer," but I  tend to think of this as more of a "kid moved."  If this were IMG, I might be suspicious, but it's frickin' Hawthorne.   Ain't nobody commuting back and forth between Hawthorne and N.C., so I'm pretty sure the kid's family just moved.  I seriously doubt the kid is coming down from N.C. to live with his Auntie for the sole purpose of playing for Hawthorne. 

I use transfer because it's literally what the kid put in the tweet in the first sentence lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...