Second FHSAA rankings out

Dr. D

16 minutes ago, 181pl said:

i’m not gonna pretend that I know all the ins and outs of the rural and suburban issues. But from what I see with my own eyes, larger metropolitan areas like Orlando Tampa Jacksonville South Florida etc., should have no problem making 7 or 8 team districts with like size teams. Tampa could have at least four of those districts and the teams wouldn’t have to travel more than seven or 8 miles ever to play their district games.

You don’t have to worry about quality of competition when you have 8 teams. At eight you’ll likely have two worthy teams. Yes occasionally you’d have three really strong teams in a district and somebody would get left out, but that’s the breaks.

The problem is when you have someone who IS a top 8 team in the region and get left out because one district is weaker you WILL have blowouts

And as teams deserve to be represented from their region teams who are clearly more deserving have earned the right to host games which wasn't present in the old system 

27 minutes ago, 181pl said:

i’m not gonna pretend that I know all the ins and outs of the rural and suburban issues. But from what I see with my own eyes, larger metropolitan areas like Orlando Tampa Jacksonville South Florida etc., should have no problem making 7 or 8 team districts with like size teams. Tampa could have at least four of those districts and the teams wouldn’t have to travel more than seven or 8 miles ever to play their district games.

You don’t have to worry about quality of competition when you have 8 teams. At eight you’ll likely have two worthy teams. Yes occasionally you’d have three really strong teams in a district and somebody would get left out, but that’s the breaks.

This is the current 4S classification (66 teams) divided into 8 districts of 8/9 teams.  Numerous states use a setup like this and have adjacent districts play 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3, 3 vs. 2, 4 vs. 1, in the first round of the playoffs.  This would result in the same number of teams as currently make the playoffs.  If you can't finish 4th or better in an 8-team district, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  And it is decided on the field, not by some computer algorithm in California.

4-S Districts1024_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

This is the current 4S classification (66 teams) divided into 8 districts of 8/9 teams.  Numerous states use a setup like this and have adjacent districts play 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3, 3 vs. 2, 4 vs. 1, in the first round of the playoffs.  This would result in the same number of teams as currently make the playoffs.  If you can't finish 4th or better in an 8-team district, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  And it is decided on the field, not by some computer algorithm in California.

4-S Districts1024_1.jpg

I can only speak for district 8 but I would not have a problem with that…longest distance game Martin county and Melbourne..so hour and half maybe 2 by bus 

16 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The problem is when you have someone who IS a top 8 team in the region and get left out because one district is weaker you WILL have blowouts

And as teams deserve to be represented from their region teams who are clearly more deserving have earned the right to host games which wasn't present in the old system 

The simple answer is for teams to win their district games. It’s that easy. If you are number three in your district but might be number two or number one in another, I don’t feel bad If they are left out of the playoffs. Because they were two better teams in their own district.

Often times the rankings simply are not accurate.  I remember my sons senior year his team finished second in his district but got left out of the playoffs for Jefferson who they had just beaten, had the same record, but had a slightly less RPI. Jefferson went on to win two or three playoff games against teams who had good records but were garbage. So to forgo a head to head win and a better placing in the district, simply due to an arbitrary RPI ranking was silly.  Robinson’s last game they had to play Bloomingdale who was a large 7Ateam that went far in the playoffs. For much smaller Robinson to have to win that game to qualify for the 5A playoffs was ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, 181pl said:

The simple answer is for teams to win their district games. It’s that easy. If you are number three in your district but might be number two or number one in another, I don’t feel bad If they are left out of the playoffs. Because they were two better teams in their own district.

Often times the rankings simply are not accurate.  I remember my sons senior year his team finished second in his district but got left out of the playoffs for Jefferson who they had just beaten, had the same record, but had a slightly less RPI. Jefferson went on to win two or three playoff games against teams who had good records but were garbage. So to forgo a head to head win and a better placing in the district, simply due to an arbitrary RPI ranking was silly.  Robinson’s last game they had to play Bloomingdale who was a large 7Ateam that went far in the playoffs. For much smaller Robinson to have to win that game to qualify for the 5A playoffs was ridiculous.

Just being second in a crappy district doesn't make a team worthy 

You said it best at the first sentence "The simple answer is for teams to win their district games. "

In other words, win district or be at the mercy of a wild card birth

The NFL does this just fine so why can't high school football do it? Not every district deserves more than a single team

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

There's never going to be a perfect system and any one you make up will have flaws.  That being said, the current system with the rankings wouldve been so much improved had the fshaa just used the maxpreps rankings and not their bastardization of them.

Or just kept the RPI but yeah I agree the actual MaxPreps rankings weren't any worse at it's job than the point system