Northwest Florida Football

Terrapin

I think it's a big gap between Niceville and everybody else. Hard to say how good Crestview is due to their schedule. The offense looks great, defense suspect.

Very good point.    I am not fully sold on Crestview yet but do not know football that well in that area.  Crestview's schedule has been pretty light from what I gather .  10/28 they host Niceville. That will be interesting.   Here is how I would rate the schedule strength for the teams discussed:

Niceville

West Florida Tech

Tate

Gulf Breeze

Navarre

Crestview

West Florida Tech might be under the radar up there.  They surely have played a decent schedule thus far for teams in the Panhandle area.

They are 5A...but not in the conversation of best teams in the area...

Well that like saying port st Joe not good because they would likely lose to Niceville

Can't judge a team that 1a vs 6a to determine if they good

Got to judge them by the teams at their level

So how does west Florida tech stack up with the other 5a teams in the north?

Would port st Joe be a top 10 team in the panhandle based on the fact of being the best 1a team out of the region and being in championship for past2 years and a good chance to go back this year?

I don't think so.  You have some consistently strong 1A schools in the panhandle year in year out,  Baker,Blountstown, and Port St Joe.  These teams will have years where they are around the top ten but that is when the big schools are down.  I think the big schools in the Pensacola area are in an upswing right now, Bay County is still down. 

Just speaking on a 1A level, the problem with the panhandle is they aren't deep with elite teams. They have several really good teams every year but not the blow your socks off good team. Even 2014 St Joe wasn't just overly impressive. They reminded me of 2013 Trenton in doing enough to get it done in the end. Baker is always good and were in the semis last year but weren't close to St Joe and Trenton would have embarrassed them. They look to be good again this year but matched up vs a Pahokee or Madison I fear it would get ugly pretty quick.

Just speaking on a 1A level, the problem with the panhandle is they aren't deep with elite teams. They have several really good teams every year but not the blow your socks off good team. Even 2014 St Joe wasn't just overly impressive. They reminded me of 2013 Trenton in doing enough to get it done in the end. Baker is always good and were in the semis last year but weren't close to St Joe and Trenton would have embarrassed them. They look to be good again this year but matched up vs a Pahokee or Madison I fear it would get ugly pretty quick.

Can pahokee beat Madison?

Not to change the subject, but is the FHSAA going to do reclassifications after this season or keep the classifications for 2 more years to complete the 4 year cycle?  The reason for my question is if it is reclassified, does Tate, Navarre, Niceville, and Crestview go back to 7A, since that's where their student population is (they all petitioned to go down to 6A 2 years ago... I think)?  It would be interesting to see those 4 in a district and how things play out with the other 7A North schools. 

Another school who might change would be Gulf Breeze, who petitioned to go up from 5A to 6A (obviously petitioned before the state dropped Navarre, Tate, Niceville, and Crestview).  They left so they wouldn't have to travel to Panama City. 

Going back to your debate about these schools, I think West Florida can do well in 5A this year.  They should win their district, and give Rickards and Wakulla trouble (however, I haven't seen the Tallahassee schools play this year).