Blue Darter Football

DarterBlue2

After three games that count in the 2023 season, and two that don't, I feel I am in a reasonable position to post comments on my long time favorite high school team. 

Strengths: 1. The 2023 Darters have begun the season in a fashion consistent with how the team has performed under Head Coach, Jeff Rolson. The defense remains very strong, while the offense is a work in progress. Defensively, I believe that the current one is playing better as a unit than any of the Apopka defenses have since the 2019 season when the Rolson era began. For while there are no Jalen Carters, Nikai  Martinizes or Kaven Calls on this team, at least none that I can discern at this juncture, overall, I feel the unit is deeper, more experienced and more cohesive at this stage of the season.  The front 7 has recorded multiple sacks, and as many quarterback hurries and has just been generally very disruptive against opposing teams. In total, it has given up 5 touchdowns in five games against five solid teams (Jones, Osceola, Ocoee, West Orange and Dr. Phillips). And the secondary spearheaded by Davey and Grant has been very very good by Apopka standards.  If the old adage, "defense wins championships" holds, this team certainly has a shot. 2. The 2023 Darters has, overall, its best special teams unit in several years, including those preceding the Rolson era. The kicking and punting game are much improved under the leadership of two seniors in their third season; the team has blocked two punts which have resulted in points and, against Dp., created sufficient agitation to contributed to a bad snap which contributed to a terrible, hurried punt that set up more Apopka points.  

Weaknesses: 1. While there is adequate talent on the offensive side of the ball, the offense has yet to develop an identity. This, too, has been a characteristic of Rolson coached teams. They have tended to start slowly on offense, and, to date, have peaked around playoff time. None, so far, has been outstanding; however, they have been good enough to get Apopka to to three state title games and a losing semi-final in four seasons. If recent past is prolog, then one expects that this offense will follow that trajectory. At spring practice, there was a second QB on the squad who had recently attended high school in a small, rural Georgia county. In the spring inter-squad scrimmage, this kid showed very good pocket presence, a strong arm and decent mobility. I believe he's returned to Georgia having concluding that Florida "big boy" football may have not been for him. Not having a viable alternative of his caliber hurt us against Dp., as our starter was out injured and his absence or the lack of a viable alternative hurt the team a lot during the first half of the Dp. game. 2. Despite being reasonably experienced, the Offensive Line has yet to fully play up to its potential. This has affected both the passing and running game. I believe this can be easily fixed.

Prognosis: If the Darters can remain relatively healthy and follow their recent trajectory under Coach Rolson, another deep playoff run is highly likely. However, Apopka is in a very competitive district that has no scrub teams this year. As such, securing the District title with critical district wins will be a priority, as securing a couple home playoff games to begin the run to state would help the cause a lot. If Apopka gets back to the title game, and the opponent is Miami Columbus, I believe that the Darters will win a hard fought title game this time, securing for Coach Rolson his first state title in Florida. 

Final Comment: Rolson coached Apopka teams remind me a lot of Carol City teams under the legendary Walt Frazier from the 1990s through the first four years of the new century. Like Apopka, those teams leaned heavily on the defense to set up the offense. And, unlike many inner city teams of his era, Coach Frazier teams had strong special teams units. The year they beat Edgewater 13-0 in the final, they had a kicker who was good for field goals from 50 yards, and who routinely boomed his kickoffs into the back of the end zone.  

Epilogue: This may well be my final season in the state of Florida which has been my home for 33 years. I would love to see the Darters and Coach Rolson end it with a well deserved state title. 

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

Was the win vs Ocoee really a 2-0 score that I see?  Man that had to be a weird game to watch.

Yes, it was. We did have a touchdown called back at the start of the 4th. The ruling was that the receiver voluntarily stepped out bounds after the snap but before the ball was thrown to him before reentering the field and making the play.. Aside from that, both defenses dominated. 

This was the lowest scoring game Apopka ever played in. I may be wrong, but I believe our prior record was a 3-0 loss to Lake Brantley.

18 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

After three games that count in the 2023 season, and two that don't, I feel I am in a reasonable position to post comments on my long time favorite high school team. 

Strengths: 1. The 2023 Darters have begun the season in a fashion consistent with how the team has performed under Head Coach, Jeff Rolson. The defense remains very strong, while the offense is a work in progress. Defensively, I believe that the current one is playing better as a unit than any of the Apopka defenses have since the 2019 season when the Rolson era began. For while there are no Jalen Carters, Nikai  Martinizes or Kaven Calls on this team, at least none that I can discern at this juncture, overall, I feel the unit is deeper, more experienced and more cohesive at this stage of the season.  The front 7 has recorded multiple sacks, and as many quarterback hurries and has just been generally very disruptive against opposing teams. In total, it has given up 5 touchdowns in five games against five solid teams (Jones, Osceola, Ocoee, West Orange and Dr. Phillips). And the secondary spearheaded by Davey and Grant has been very very good by Apopka standards.  If the old adage, "defense wins championships" holds, this team certainly has a shot. 2. The 2023 Darters has, overall, its best special teams unit in several years, including those preceding the Rolson era. The kicking and punting game are much improved under the leadership of two seniors in their third season; the team has blocked two punts which have resulted in points and, against Dp., created sufficient agitation to contributed to a bad snap which contributed to a terrible, hurried punt that set up more Apopka points.  

Weaknesses: 1. While there is adequate talent on the offensive side of the ball, the offense has yet to develop an identity. This, too, has been a characteristic of Rolson coached teams. They have tended to start slowly on offense, and, to date, have peaked around playoff time. None, so far, has been outstanding; however, they have been good enough to get Apopka to to three state title games and a losing semi-final in four seasons. If recent past is prolog, then one expects that this offense will follow that trajectory. At spring practice, there was a second QB on the squad who had recently attended high school in a small, rural Georgia county. In the spring inter-squad scrimmage, this kid showed very good pocket presence, a strong arm and decent mobility. I believe he's returned to Georgia having concluding that Florida "big boy" football may have not been for him. Not having a viable alternative of his caliber hurt us against Dp., as our starter was out injured and his absence or the lack of a viable alternative hurt the team a lot during the first half of the Dp. game. 2. Despite being reasonably experienced, the Offensive Line has yet to fully play up to its potential. This has affected both the passing and running game. I believe this can be easily fixed.

Prognosis: If the Darters can remain relatively healthy and follow their recent trajectory under Coach Rolson, another deep playoff run is highly likely. However, Apopka is in a very competitive district that has no scrub teams this year. As such, securing the District title with critical district wins will be a priority, as securing a couple home playoff games to begin the run to state would help the cause a lot. If Apopka gets back to the title game, and the opponent is Miami Columbus, I believe that the Darters will win a hard fought title game this time, securing for Coach Rolson his first state title in Florida. 

Final Comment: Rolson coached Apopka teams remind me a lot of Carol City teams under the legendary Walt Frazier from the 1990s through the first four years of the new century. Like Apopka, those teams leaned heavily on the defense to set up the offense. And, unlike many inner city teams of his era, Coach Frazier teams had strong special teams units. The year they beat Edgewater 13-0 in the final, they had a kicker who was good for field goals from 50 yards, and who routinely boomed his kickoffs into the back of the end zone.  

Epilogue: This may well be my final season in the state of Florida which has been my home for 33 years. I would love to see the Darters and Coach Rolson end it with a well deserved state title. 

As much as I love and miss Florida, there are better opportunities outside the state whether it's for employment or retirement.  There's no shame in that.  I left nine years ago and haven't looked back.  Good luck in your future endeavors.  There's always streaming and this board.:lol:

6 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

As much as I love and miss Florida, there are better opportunities outside the state whether it's for employment or retirement.  There's no shame in that.  I left nine years ago and haven't looked back.  Good luck in your future endeavors.  There's always streaming and this board.:lol:

Where did you go?  You must really still be connected to this state if you're on a Florida HS football forum.  I'm 4th generation FL and I just can't picture myself anywhere it gets cold.  Dealing with these hurricanes every year though might just finally chase me out of this state once my kids graduate.

3 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

Where did you go?  You must really still be connected to this state if you're on a Florida HS football forum.  I'm 4th generation FL and I just can't picture myself anywhere it gets cold.  Dealing with these hurricanes every year though might just finally chase me out of this state once my kids graduate.

I went to Atlanta after leaving Tallahassee.  Believe me, Atlanta was nowhere on my radar but the job opportunities and income potential particularly in I.T. blew Florida out of the water. 

Temperature wise, it may be a 10-15 difference compared to  parts of N. Florida.  I also had a short stint in Chicago while doing a winter co-op with All-State during my senior year back in '98.  Worst cold of my life.  It's a cold that's no longer cold but it just hurts.  NOTHING in the south comes close.  It was unseasonably warm by Chicago standards that year and oddly enough, didn't snow.  The eve before my flight back to Tally in '99, me and my roommate went to a club (now defunct) called The Convent just outside DT Chicago.  I guess the sacrilege of going to a club of sin that use to be a church reared it's head because we left at 3am, the skies opened up and we were snowed in for the next 3 days.  It was fun as first as I had never experienced snow except on TV.  However, the reality set in that we didn't have any food, couldn't drive as the roads were closed.  Thankfully there was a bar that we had to layer up for and walk half a mile just to eat.  It was then I knew I was over the snow and understood why everyone flocked to Florida, lol.  All this happened around the time that the late Gov. Lawton Chiles passed away before leaving office for those that remember. 

Florida will always be my home.  However, Florida is conquered territory.  America, even the world is bigger than Florida.  Don't knock it until you try it.  Yes, I have plenty of family in Tally along with St. Pete, Lakeland, W. Palm Beach and Miami so I will always be connected to the Sunshine State.  

8 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

I went to Atlanta after leaving Tallahassee.  Believe me, Atlanta was nowhere on my radar but the job opportunities and income potential particularly in I.T. blew Florida out of the water. 

I'm definitely familiar with Atlanta!  I graduated from GT a few decades ago.  Atlanta is definitely loaded with opportunity, especially if you're high tech.  I'm high tech and luckily found one of the few engineering jobs locally here in the Tampa area.

3 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Dr. Phillips is good and at 1-2 will contend for the 4M final, that's why they lost to Apopka 18-14. 

Be graceful with the win Apopka got. Dr. Phillips could have very, very easily won that game. The DP penalty on the missed field goal attempt that turned into 1st and 10 on the 15 was the difference.

@Pipe Dreams, there was more to the game than what you cite. First, both Dp., touchdowns were essentially created by your defense. One a scoop and score, the the other an interception that gave your offense the ball at the Apopka 12. Now you could argue the fumble was forced. But the interception certainly was not. It was driven by our strong safety playing QB in the absence of our starter due to injury. Also, just before half time, with your corner beaten, Apopka's receiver dropped a relatively easy catch in the end zone. The Darters left 4 points on the board there.

From watching Dp. closely last Friday, what I gathered is this. The Panthers have the best Offensive Line Apopka has faced in 2023 (including the spring and KOC games). They also have a solid QB who has a very good arm and is difficult to bring down when he takes off. On the negative side, your defense needs work both up front and in the secondary. Will this Phillips team make a good run? Perhaps. But to do so it will need to make significant improvement on a couple fronts. 

Anyway, I bear no animosity towards the DP program and wish it success the rest of the season, at least up to and if there is a rematch with APK in the playoffs.  Then it will be: "We gonna beat DP, throw a W on that schedule."

51 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

This guy has gone too long without somebody pushing back on his paragraphs of delusion.

Darter Blue, yes, I agree that if you take away all of DP's best plays of the game then Apopka won handily

I should be most grateful, if you could cite where anything I stated was delusional. The truth of the matter is that Dp, unless it makes a lot of improvement, will be done somewhere between the second and third rounds of the playoffs this season. If you can't see that, may I suggest that you, not me, are the one that is wearing "Carolina Blue" glasses. 

2 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

This guy has gone too long without somebody pushing back on his paragraphs of delusion.

Darter Blue, yes, I agree that if you take away all of DP's best plays of the game then Apopka won handily

Pipe Dream with an "Edge."  Where have you been ?  Building cities, I surmise ?  Darter always spoke fondly of you as a player, and a young up and comer.  Careful Darter, this is Pipe Dream 2.0    :)

• 2 weeks later...