The WORST team to have on your schedule the rest of the season?

Longtime Observer

It may well be Clearwater Academy. CAI has three losses, and is thus totally discounted by the FHSAA rankings system. But, all three losses were very close losses to excellent teams who are all unbeaten...and CAI had to play a freshman backup QB throughout all losses. They had a 21-0 lead over Miami Columbus that they couldn't hold, and they dominated the 4th quarter but blew several red-zone opportunities in a one-point loss to Edgewater. CAI's starting QB, Evans Chuba, is a Power 5 commit. He appeared pretty healthy on the sidelines of their last game. If he comes back this or next week, look out. Given the nature of the outcomes with the freshman QB playing, it's entirely conceivable that this CAI team with a healthy Chuba at QB would be unbeaten, and among the top ten teams in the state. But, the FHSAA and human rankings will never acknowledge them as such. The rankings will see CAI as a mediocre team.

Venice, Sarasota Riverview and Lakeland all have playoff hopes and all have to face CAI. Venice and Riverview lost to CAI last season.

Just now, Longtime Observer said:

It may well be Clearwater Academy. CAI has three losses, and is thus totally discounted by the FHSAA rankings system. But, all three losses were very close losses to excellent teams who are all unbeaten...and CAI had to play a freshman backup QB throughout all losses. They had a 21-0 lead over Miami Columbus that they couldn't hold, and they dominated the 4th quarter but blew several red-zone opportunities in a one-point loss to Edgewater. CAI's starting QB, Evans Chuba, is a Power 5 commit. He appeared pretty healthy on the sidelines of their last game. If he comes back this or next week, look out. Given the nature of the outcomes with the freshman QB playing, it's entirely conceivable that this CAI team with a healthy Chuba at QB would be unbeaten, and among the top ten teams in the state. But, the FHSAA and human rankings will never acknowledge them as such. The rankings will see CAI has a mediocre team.

Venice, Sarasota Riverview and Lakeland all have playoff hopes and all have to face CAI. Venice and Riverview lost to CAI last season.

They got a brutal schedule. They play a top 10 (according to maxpreps) team from South Carolina tonight at Skyway. 

22 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

They got a brutal schedule. They play a top 10 (according to maxpreps) team from South Carolina tonight at Skyway. 

Any word on Chuba? I know you sometimes talk to Chinchar. If he does come back, that will be a hell of a deal for the three teams stuck playing them. To date, their entire offense has been shotgun runs to Antwan Raymond. Replace a freshman backup QB with a senior power 5 commit and it's a totally different team.

3 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

Any word on Chuba? I know you sometimes talk to Chinchar. If he does come back, that will be a hell of a deal for the three teams stuck playing them. To date, their entire offense has been shotgun runs to Antwan Raymond. Replace a freshman backup QB with a senior power 5 commit and it's a totally different team.

He’s not confident in anything you mentioned 

22 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

He’s not confident in anything you mentioned 

According to CAI's announcers, Chuba is "week to week". He didn't play against the school from S.C., but was able to walk under his own power with no noticeable impediment. Seems fairly likely he'll play in the last three games. And I have a hunch they may well win all three. If they do, Lakeland and Venice will both be three-loss teams who figure to have very few home playoff games.

9 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

According to CAI's announcers, Chuba is "week to week". He didn't play against the school from S.C., but was able to walk under his own power with no noticeable impediment. Seems fairly likely he'll play in the last three games. And I have a hunch they may well win all three. If they do, Lakeland and Venice will both be three-loss teams who figure to have very few home playoff games.

I agree with your final sentence but there’s one thing you have to consider: if Venice loses to either IMG Varsity or Clearwater AI to end the year, and both Lakeland and Venice finish with 3 losses on the regular season, Venice would have to travel to Bryant Stadium for round 4 of the playoffs based on strength of schedule if that’s who their semifinal opponent is. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:33 AM, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

If we’re talking worst as in bad I would have to say (Boyd Anderson) game rescheduled for October 23rd

if we’re talking in reference to mismatch on paper I would have to say 

HOME vs #4 in the nation chaminade tonight 

or @ #8 in the nation STA on October 29th 

I'm talking about the benefit to degree of difficulty ratio for winning the game. Because CAI is a three-loss team who's never won a championship, beating them does nothing for a team. But, if they do end up having their QB back, after having missed all of the very close losses and a freshman played instead, they will be VERY hard to beat. And they will be MUCH better than they were when they lost a 21-0 lead to Columbus, lost by a point at Edgewater etc. Computer ratings will not account for the QB upgrade at all...

On 10/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, VeniceIndianFan said:

I agree with your final sentence but there’s one thing you have to consider: if Venice loses to either IMG Varsity or Clearwater AI to end the year, and both Lakeland and Venice finish with 3 losses on the regular season, Venice would have to travel to Bryant Stadium for round 4 of the playoffs based on strength of schedule if that’s who their semifinal opponent is. 

Too many variables and unknowns to account for it seems. Lakeland may well have to travel to Gainesville to beat Buchholz before that game ever happens.

I know I've been shot down here before but I still think CAI is a total bullshit school.  Look at it's listed enrollment per grade below where there are 76 total students listed in grades 9-12.  If you take out the football team, there's barely any students remaining (unless these stats don't count the players).  I've seen other estimates that might put them above 100 students total for high school, but even then there's hardly any left after you subtract their rent-a-players.  Shady stuff if you ask me.  Oh yeah, there's also the mysterious Scientology religious affiliation part too.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/florida/clearwater-academy-international-322527

18 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I know I've been shot down here before but I still think CAI is a total bullshit school.  Look at it's listed enrollment per grade below where there are 76 total students listed in grades 9-12.  If you take out the football team, there's barely any students remaining (unless these stats don't count the players).  I've seen other estimates that might put them above 100 students total for high school, but even then there's hardly any left after you subtract their rent-a-players.  Shady stuff if you ask me.  Oh yeah, there's also the mysterious Scientology religious affiliation part too.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/florida/clearwater-academy-international-322527

I am inclined to agree with you.

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

No argument here. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, PinellasFB said:

Nothing shady going on at all. They literally started as an 8 man football a few years ago. They attract Canadian and European players that have the dream of playing American high school football and possibly play American college football. Coach Chinchar is a great guy and great coach who cares deeply about his players. They don’t go running around recruiting like IMG. Their bread and butter is Canadian and European kids. Imagine trying to coach a sport to multiple kids from all around the world, some barely speaking English if at all. And might be brand new to football. And the most impressive thing is he is getting a ton of kids into college. People need to do their research and get to the know the coach and program before being hyper critical. Remember Matthew 7:1-5

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Nothing shady going on at all. They literally started as an 8 man football a few years ago. They attract Canadian and European players that have the dream of playing American high school football and possibly play American college football. Coach Chinchar is a great guy and great coach who cares deeply about his players. They don’t go running around recruiting like IMG. Their bread and butter is Canadian and European kids. Imagine trying to coach a sport to multiple kids from all around the world, some barely speaking English if at all. And might be brand new to football. And the most impressive thing is he is getting a ton of kids into college. People need to do their research and get to the know the coach and program before being hyper critical. Remember Matthew 7:1-5

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

The Reverend @nolebull813, now that has an interesting ring to it! LOL!!!

On 10/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, PinellasFB said:

Heard Tom Cruise is joining the coaching staff at CIA. I bet he gives one hell of a pre game speech.

5 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

The point was, and remains, CAI is not a legitimate high school. It's a football academy. Period. While they do primarily recruit in other countries, they do also take players from the Clearwater area. 

By “not a legitimate high school” do you mean their credits don’t count towards what the Florida department of education would describe as a high school diploma? 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Just curious . . .  how does a small school in Pinellas County, Florida, go about attracting kids from Canada and Europe?

That is an excellent question. Do these kids pay tuition and if they do, and the school is as small as has been posted here, how are the costs covered? It would take the kids of multimillionaires to cover the costs of maintaining such a school with such a small student base. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That is an excellent question. Do these kids pay tuition and if they do, and the school is as small as has been posted here, how are the costs covered? It would take the kids of multimillionaires to cover the costs of maintaining such a school with such a small student base. 

"The school receives public funding through voucher and tax credit scholarship programs as per a 2017 Huffington Post investigation where it was disclosed the school received more than $500,000 in taxpayer money for student scholarships between 2012–2016."

(compliments of Wikipedia)

• Founded in 1984
  • Serves grades Preschool through 12th Grade, starting at age 2
  • Open all year and enrolling year-round
  • Current enrollment is 250
  • 7 to 1 student-to-facutly ratio
  • Over 50 international students
  • Over 23 countries represented

(compliments of CAI's own website)

TUITION

Annual Tuition  – $13,345.00

International Annual Tuition – $16,800.00

(also from CAI's website)

I haven’t confirmed this so don’t accuse me of spreading fake news but I would assume they are a boarding school for the international players. I would assume the parents of said players have enough money to make it happen. I am not sure the protocol for the local kids who want to be apart of a team with a proven track record of sending kids to college, and to play multiple nationally ranked teams. 

Should a potential D1 from Clearwater be forced to play for his mediocre team against other mediocre teams and get zero exposure, or move over and play in front of scouts every game for a coach who has great relationships with college recruiters? 

And that’s how you know CAI doesn’t even poach kids. Because they would be a cheaper alternative to IMG and kids should be lining up from the Tampa Bay Area but they don’t. They focus on international players. 

different doesn’t mean bad 

We're not talking about a Bishop Sycamore here, as among other things, this school was founded in 1984 and has an actual campus.  They have gone to a lot of trouble with their website, if this is an "illegitimate" operation:  https://www.clearwateracademy.org/.   Hard to believe parents would be paying $13,345 tuition if their diploma wouldn't get them into a college or university.  Do all the athletes at STA ($14,750) and C-M ($16,300) pay tuition?  I would call CAI a "non-traditional" school, but not sure that is a bad thing for certain students whose needs can't be met by the public school system.  

6 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

We're not talking about a Bishop Sycamore here, as among other things, this school was founded in 1984 and has an actual campus.  They have gone to a lot of trouble with their website, if this is an "illegitimate" operation:  https://www.clearwateracademy.org/.   Hard to believe parents would be paying $13,345 tuition if their diploma wouldn't get them into a college or university.  Do all the athletes at STA ($14,750) and C-M ($16,300) pay tuition?  I would call CAI a "non-traditional" school, but not sure that is a bad thing for certain students whose needs can't be met by the public school system.  

The people criticizing them usually don’t know one thing about the school or even met someone with firsthand knowledge that can testify on their behalf. Just internet rumors, message board goobers, and trolls who can’t handle anything other than the status quo. And for the life of me I will never understand why someone making a decision that’s best for them and their family upsets random obscure strangers who have no skin in the game 

12 minutes ago, Perspective said:

"The school receives public funding through voucher and tax credit scholarship programs as per a 2017 Huffington Post investigation where it was disclosed the school received more than $500,000 in taxpayer money for student scholarships between 2012–2016."

(compliments of Wikipedia)

• Founded in 1984
  • Serves grades Preschool through 12th Grade, starting at age 2
  • Open all year and enrolling year-round
  • Current enrollment is 250
  • 7 to 1 student-to-facutly ratio
  • Over 50 international students
  • Over 23 countries represented

(compliments of CAI's own website)

TUITION

Annual Tuition  – $13,345.00

International Annual Tuition – $16,800.00

(also from CAI's website)

A couple of thoughts. First, the football program seems to be made up of mostly international students who comprise about 20% of total enrollment per the above. Second, international students, I am pretty sure, don't qualify for the kind of aid provided by vouchers and tax credits unless they have dual citizenship (US in addition to the country of origin). Third, assuming all students pay for or received governmental subsidies for their tuition, total tuition would be approximately $14,100 x 250 = $3,525,000. Would this cover the total costs of running an operation of this nature? For football, the team seems to travel up and down the state and often goes out of state. Where does this money come from? Fourth, for those international students that don't end up making it into college football and then the NFL, are they getting an education that is acceptable internationally such as an International Baccalaureate program so that if and when they return home, they can actually find employment or be accepted into a University of their home country?  

I am not saying that the school is bogus and does not provide an adequate education but it sure seems to be operating in the dark with respect to its finances and its educational programs.