District tiebreaker games

DisabledAccount

How do you lose 21-0 in a 12 minute qtr shootout?  Did PSJ throw two pick 6s or something?

Actually St Joe had it 1st down on the Blountstown 12 with 7 minutes to go tied at 0-0.  But a couple of dropped passes in the end zone a blown coverage or three, 2 mishandled kickoffs and working behind a patchwork O-line and BAM 21-0.  At least that's how it looked to me.  St Joe should get everybody back for the playoffs and should be able to handle FAMU with some of the younger guys this week. 

Actually St Joe had it 1st down on the Blountstown 12 with 7 minutes to go tied at 0-0.  But a couple of dropped passes in the end zone a blown coverage or three, 2 mishandled kickoffs and working behind a patchwork O-line and BAM 21-0.  At least that's how it looked to me.  St Joe should get everybody back for the playoffs and should be able to handle FAMU with some of the younger guys this week. 

Wow!  What a change of events.  0-0 and PSJ about to punch it in with 7 minutes left and then the $#1^ hit the fan quick....Well considering Blountstown handled PSJ with relative ease the previous week 33-6, it sounds like the best team won that District.  Rest up versus FAMU and go through the motions there and time for November football!  Who will PSJ likely open up with ?

Sandalwood beats Mandarin 7-0 to take runner up spot.  Mandarin eliminated.

Here is a solid quick read from jacksonville.com on how the night went down:

Spruce Creek wins district, Sandalwood tops Mandarin
Oct 31, 2016 11:01 PM

When Mandarin’s 42-yard field goal attempt missed the mark Monday night, players from two teams stormed the field in celebration.

The first was Spruce Creek which, with a victory first over Sandalwood and then against the Mustangs, had just claimed the District 1-8A title. The other was Sandalwood, which had just won a reprieve for a shot at the postseason.

The Saints made the most of their new life, using an 80-yard scoring run by quarterback Kyle Smith to defeat host Mandarin 7-0 in the third quarter of the three-team tiebreaker. That puts Sandalwood in the postseason at Sanford Seminole while Mandarin, at 6-1, will miss the playoffs.

The three teams played a quarter apiece in a tiebreaker system in which two teams make the playoffs and the other misses it. The Saints lost to Spruce Creek 20-14 in double overtime to open the tiebreaker. The way the system works, they would have been out of the playoffs if Mandarin beat the Hawks in the next quarter.

Instead, Spruce Creek held off Mandarin 3-0 in overtime with the missed field goal ending that contest.

“It was gut-wrenching,†said Sandalwood running back Logan Wright, who scored both his team’s touchdowns in the opening quarter. “I thank God because I just prayed for a chance at the playoffs.â€

Wright carried on 12 of his team’s 14 plays against Mandarin, but it was a change of pace called by coach Adam Geis that sent Smith up the middle on a keeper for an 80-yard score midway through the quarter.

Mandarin’s two quarters yielded three turnovers, a failed 4th-and-1 against the Saints and four penalties in overtime against Spruce Creek, including an unsportsmanlike call on coach Quinn Gray, which happened two plays before the missed field goal.

“Turnovers hurt, and there were some coaching errors, which are on me,†Gray said. “The penalty, I take responsibility for, too, and I apologized to the team for it.â€

Sounds like all three of the teams in the Jax shootout were about equal. My guess is that Seminole is a bit better than the two that made the playoffs. Spruce Creek is usually a fundamentally sound team that lacks overall team speed. But the truth is, I have not seen them in several seasons. So who knows. They eked out a win against Winter Park the week before. It would not surprise me if Lake Brantley took them down.

Wow!  What a change of events.  0-0 and PSJ about to punch it in with 7 minutes left and then the $#1^ hit the fan quick....Well considering Blountstown handled PSJ with relative ease the previous week 33-6, it sounds like the best team won that District.  Rest up versus FAMU and go through the motions there and time for November football!  Who will PSJ likely open up with ?

Blountstown is a solid team in all phases and has 13 seniors they should win region 1.  PSJ is young and not very deep this year the loss of 5 star Trey Sanders to IMG was huge and several players quit right before the first game and that hurt the depth considerably. Port St Joe plays West Gadsden in the first round and typically St Joe would be big favorites but I hear that WG throws it a lot and that seems to be PSJs Achilles heel. Blountstown will face Chipley and should win by 40+

Shoutout to the Andy Price lead Spruce Creek Hawks and their district championship. They've had some lean football years there at SC despite being the largest school in Volusia County. Great academics and the top combined boys/girls sports programs in the area. Before coming to the Hawks, Coach Price took Warner Christian Academy to the state finals on three separate occasions. If they had a few more athletes within their reach they'd give the large Orlando schools hell every year.

Blountstown is a solid team in all phases and has 13 seniors they should win region 1.  PSJ is young and not very deep this year the loss of 5 star Trey Sanders to IMG was huge and several players quit right before the first game and that hurt the depth considerably. Port St Joe plays West Gadsden in the first round and typically St Joe would be big favorites but I hear that WG throws it a lot and that seems to be PSJs Achilles heel. Blountstown will face Chipley and should win by 40+

I think PSJ sneaks by West Gadsden.  They will step it up for the playoffs.  Blountstown appears like they will be a tall task though in the second round.....Blountstown defense has not given up double digits since it's 18-21 loss to Baker on 9/2.  

I'd be remiss not to mention that Spruce Creek, without a doubt, is the all-time high school weightlifting King of Florida. Since its inception in 1974 as a FHSAA sport, the Hawks have dominated the state in the number of championships. Boys-25, Girls-9 (2004 start)

Interesting ....on both facts about Spruce Creek.  Perhaps the new 2017 open borders rule will build their already pretty good football team and athletic programs...

Interesting ....on both facts about Spruce Creek.  Perhaps the new 2017 open borders rule will build their already pretty good football team and athletic programs...

Broward, don't think that hasn't crossed the mind of many a Buccaneer fan. Both schools reside on the same street (Clyde Morris Blvd) and are 7 miles apart. Basketball players already go south to Atlantic High and Spruce Creek. (Atlantic is in the middle, 1/4 mile off the same street, between the two )