Deland at Treasure Coast ....Teacher vs Student

Dan in Daytona

Master vs Apprentice, Old (sorry Mr. Darlington) vs New, Single wing vs Single wing. 

Don't have the dates, but at one time Deland's head coach Rick Darlington helped Treasure Coast's coaching staff  incorporate it's now winning single-wing offense. Coach Darlington ran his version of Pop Warner's 1907 offense too perfection with three Florida state championships while coaching at Apopka High School. It's rarely seen today, on the gridiron, with all the high powered sideline to sideline shot gun spread passing offenses. There in lies it's uniqueness and difficulty to defend with only a week's worth of practice from game to game in a typical season. Two of Daytona Mainland's football greats Jeremy Bell , now head football coach at Atlantic High (Port Orange,Fl), and Antwaun Wyatt, son of NFL'er and Bethune-Cookman Hall of Fame player and head coach both were on T.C.'s staff during those early years of running the single-wing. This is a very intriguing match up. Particularly for my part of the state. Both coach Bell and coach Wyatt are 1st cousins, along with Mainland's head coach Travis Roland. It's all in the Daytona family.  :)   

Not quite sure why Deland seems to getting the love in this matchup.  Can they win the game?  Absolutely!!  Is it likely?  That is a whole other question as TC has the better SOS, the higher MaxPrep rankings and finally HOME FIELD advantage.  It will be a 2 hour + road trip for Deland and that usually isn't a plus in your column when you have to get off that bus to play a physical team in their backyard.  All I am saying is it will be no easy task. 

7 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Not quite sure why Deland seems to getting the love in this matchup.  Can they win the game?  Absolutely!!  Is it likely?  That is a whole other question as TC has the better SOS, the higher MaxPrep rankings and finally HOME FIELD advantage.  It will be a 2 hour + road trip for Deland and that usually isn't a plus in your column when you have to get off that bus to play a physical team in their backyard.  All I am saying is it will be no easy task. 

Maybe people feel coaching favors Deland, although all of the factors you stated definitely are in TC’s favor. 

3 hours ago, Drogo said:

Maybe people feel coaching favors Deland, although all of the factors you stated definitely are in TC’s favor. 

That element is certainly important and Coach Darlington has the rings, but my opinion after playing TC over the last several years in both regular season plus playoff games is Coach Jones is also excellent. 

21 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

The author has reread the original post and the two follow up responses before your "love" (Deland) comment. Please allude to where any love or favoritism toward Deland was suggested ?  No hater here !

8 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

The author has reread the original post and the two follow up responses before your "love" (Deland) comment. Please allude to where any love or favoritism toward Deland was suggested ?  No hater here !

No hate implied my friend as I have reread my post in this thread and ask you to allude where that is coming from.  Outside of this thread most have seem to given the edge to Deland before even the matchup had materialized, thus my comment. The title to your post "TEACHER vs STUDENT" and its consequent follow-up of MASTER vs APPRENTICE in particular, in my simple view implies an advantage of one over the other.  Your questioning my response now shows that wasn't your intent and I can appreciate that just like the respect I described for Coach Darlington.  With all that said it will now be quite interesting to see the picks and consequently the results.  

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

No hate implied my friend as I have reread my post in this thread and ask you to allude where that is coming from.  Outside of this thread most have seem to given the edge to Deland before even the matchup had materialized, thus my comment. The title to your post "TEACHER vs STUDENT" and its consequent follow-up of MASTER vs APPRENTICE in particular, in my simple view implies an advantage of one over the other.  Your questioning my response now shows that wasn't your intent and I can appreciate that just like the respect I described for Coach Darlington.  With all that said it will now be quite interesting to see the picks and consequently the results.  

No malice intended. Well... not a gambling man myself, but surely the home team TC is the favorite. Being a Daytona boy, Deland was always the enemy. Baseball, football, basketball, or track, it didn't matter. Getting robbed over there by the Ref's was to be expected, the norm. (Jambun excluded :) For years and years Bulldog87 and I threw team and personal insults back and forth on Rival's FlaVarsity message board. I'd like to say "our maturity" stopped the feud, but when Deland's football team went through 8-10 head coaches in about a decade and a half and their wins disappeared, so did he. That's my version, his might be a little different  :)   

6 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

No malice intended. Well... not a gambling man myself, but surely the home team TC is the favorite. Being a Daytona boy, Deland was always the enemy. Baseball, football, basketball, or track, it didn't matter. Getting robbed over there by the Ref's was to be expected, the norm. (Jambun excluded :) For years and years Bulldog87 and I threw team and personal insults back and forth on Rival's FlaVarsity message board. I'd like to say "our maturity" stopped the feud, but when Deland's football team went through 8-10 head coaches in about a decade and a half and their wins disappeared, so did he. That's my version, his might be a little different  :)   

Feelings are mutual regarding malice as well as gambling.  If I were a gambling man, I would have to go against my heart and put my money on TC despite the fact I will be pulling for Deland for the simple reason of cheering for our geographical region.  Looking at the top predictors left for the Nolebull picks, they seem to be leaning heavily towards TC which is why they have proven to be the most accurate during the regular season.  

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

Feelings are mutual regarding malice as well as gambling.  If I were a gambling man, I would have to go against my heart and put my money on TC despite the fact I will be pulling for Deland for the simple reason of cheering for our geographical region.  Looking at the top predictors left for the Nolebull picks, they seem to be leaning heavily towards TC which is why they have proven to be the most accurate during the regular season.  

I have the same geographical feelings. Generally Cocoa and St Augustine High get the same, unless playing Mainland. Only since the hiring of Coach Darlington at Deland have my feelings changed towards the Bulldogs. I like the man. Deland always has talent. But when they field a team that "LOOKS" like Mainland West, then you know they're playing their best athletes. This wasn't always the case with weaker head coaches. And I'll take that "opinion" to the grave.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Osceola more closer to the treasure coast area 

8 hours ago, Vero Indian said:

Osceola more closer to the treasure coast area 

You continue to confuse the argument by looking at the unincorporated areas (uninhabited) areas of our county (Osceola) with the center of our geographical area (Orlando).  From Orlando to Port St. Lucie ... 125 miles as opposed to Deland 41 miles.  Our news organization that follows HS sports is the Orlando Sentinel, not the TC Palm that reports on your geographical area.  Hope that helps clear that up for you. 

7 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

You continue to confuse the argument by looking at the unincorporated areas (uninhibited) areas of our county (Osceola) with the center of our geographical area (Orlando).  From Orlando to Port St. Lucie ... 125 miles as opposed to Deland 41 miles.  Our news organization that follows HS sports is the Orlando Sentinel, not the TC Palm that reports on your geographical area.  Hope that helps clear that up for you. 

Ig lol 

On 11/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, Vero Indian said:
15 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Looks like Darlington still knows the game well enough to knock off a heavy contender. Wasn't he called Shrek at FlaVarsit or was that his avatar?

Shrek was avatar, known as Sexy Beast, but that's between you and I.....(wink,wink)