Venice believes they will blow Lakeland out...

Longtime Observer

...and I'm not here to disagree with the assumption. Peacock said on his coaches show he'd rather play Lakeland anywhere than play Deland. And they beat DeLand 51-21, with 8 of DeLand's points coming in running-clock garbage time. I believe there is a reason Miami Northwestern yielded 63 points to Venice at Traz powell stadium and only 17 to the Central Rockets. And that reason is not that MNW was playing a kickoff classic where Dade teams supposedly don't try to win. The reason is Venice is very dangerous on offense. As Peacock said, Venice was robbed by an abundance of holding calls at Cocoa. 

Ultimately, for Lakeland to win or even avoid a blowout, they'll have to be able to largely replicate Armwood's approach. That means selling out to stop the run and having the corners hold up for the most part. And it means running the ball down Venice's throat. The problem for Lakeland is the Lake Minneola game was an anomaly. Though substantial injuries and suspensions contributed, this has mostly been a passing offense for Lakeland. The running game has underwhelmed, save for the aforementioned Lake Minneola game. 

If Lakeland manages to avoid major mistakes, they can be in the ball game. If not, Venice will do what they expect to do, which is blow them out.

I'll take Venice 48, Lakeland 27.

16 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

...and I'm not here to disagree with the assumption. Peacock said on his coaches show he'd rather play Lakeland anywhere than play Deland. And they beat DeLand 51-21, with 8 of DeLand's points coming in running-clock garbage time. I believe there is a reason Miami Northwestern yielded 63 points to Venice at Traz powell stadium and only 17 to the Central Rockets. And that reason is not that MNW was playing a kickoff classic where Dade teams supposedly don't try to win. The reason is Venice is very dangerous on offense. As Peacock said, Venice was robbed by an abundance of holding calls at Cocoa. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:03
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently behind liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:16
Â
1x
Playback Rate
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Picture-in-PictureFullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Ultimately, for Lakeland to win or even avoid a blowout, they'll have to be able to largely replicate Armwood's approach. That means selling out to stop the run and having the corners hold up for the most part. And it means running the ball down Venice's throat. The problem for Lakeland is the Lake Minneola game was an anomaly. Though substantial injuries and suspensions contributed, this has mostly been a passing offense for Lakeland. The running game has underwhelmed, save for the aforementioned Lake Minneola game. 

If Lakeland manages to avoid major mistakes, they can be in the ball game. If not, Venice will do what they expect to do, which is blow them out.

I'll take Venice 48, Lakeland 27.

I don’t think it will be a blowout, though Venice will absolutely be favored. It’s going to take everything Lakeland has to deny one of Venice’s best teams ever from winning the 4S state championship. 

This is the matchup we wanted. We owe you guys a beatdown for what happened last year. One fluke touchdown before the half and it’s another trophy on our shelf. We will never forget that, least of all the kids whom were on this team last year. 

Nobody since Cocoa in week 2 has had an answer for Venice’s offense. The continuity between our offensive line and running backs has really paved the way for where we are now. Defensive line is starting to gel at the right time, as evidenced by the way they dominated DeLand’s offense after the first drive (which really surprised me.) The experience in the secondary has paid dividends in a huge way. 

This is going to be Lakeland’s toughest test of the year. Do you have answers for Venice’s phenomenal rushing attack? Can you stop our receiving corps, where we have 4 guys that can take it the distance at a moment’s notice? Can you contain Glasser when he takes off, or defend the numerous trick plays?  

And on defense, can you crack Venice’s secondary? Will you be able to run and try to slow the game down to keep our offense off the field? These are all questions that need to be answered before Saturday. Tick Tock Lakeland, you’re on the clock! GO INDIANS!!! 

5 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

I don’t think it will be a blowout, though Venice will absolutely be favored. It’s going to take everything Lakeland has to deny one of Venice’s best teams ever from winning the 4S state championship. 

This is the matchup we wanted. We owe you guys a beatdown for what happened last year. One fluke touchdown before the half and it’s another trophy on our shelf. We will never forget that, least of all the kids whom were on this team last year. 

Nobody since Cocoa in week 2 has had an answer for Venice’s offense. The continuity between our offensive line and running backs has really paved the way for where we are now. Defensive line is starting to gel at the right time, as evidenced by the way they dominated DeLand’s offense after the first drive (which really surprised me.) The experience in the secondary has paid dividends in a huge way. 

This is going to be Lakeland’s toughest test of the year. Do you have answers for Venice’s phenomenal rushing attack? Can you stop our receiving corps, where we have 4 guys that can take it the distance at a moment’s notice? Can you contain Glasser when he takes off, or defend the numerous trick plays?  

And on defense, can you crack Venice’s secondary? Will you be able to run and try to slow the game down to keep our offense off the field? These are all questions that need to be answered before Saturday. Tick Tock Lakeland, you’re on the clock! GO INDIANS!!! 

Darn, you are normally very humble. I hope you are not counting chickens while they are still eggs. I do think Venice will win relatively easily, but I expected you to cast doubt on the outcome. 

3 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Last season, Lakeland dominated Venice. It was only through some fluky penalties, fumbles and taking a knee at the 1 yard line that it was close on the scoreboard.

This year, Venice will be Lakeland's third toughest opponent. But, the two toughest opponents were home games with coaching staffs that weren't super familiar with Lakeland. So, perhaps all things considered, the game may end up being as tough as the two against better teams. 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Darn, you are normally very humble. I hope you are not counting chickens while they are still eggs. I do think Venice will win relatively easily, but I expected you to cast doubt on the outcome. 

It’s just some playful banter and trash talk. We are not overlooking Lakeland at all. We know what they are capable of.   The war of words begins now and continues until Saturday at 7:59 pm. @Nulli Secundus and I have been at it all day on Scorestream! Lmao 

22 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

It’s just some playful banter and trash talk. We are not overlooking Lakeland at all. We know what they are capable of.   The war of words begins now and continues until Saturday at 7:59 pm. @Nulli Secundus and I have been at it all day on Scorestream! Lmao 

When output fails to meet desired expectations @VeniceIndianFan.  Let's hope the Indians live up to the hype, lol.

32 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Will Venice's 90 year-old refs be doing the game? :P

39 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

I would love to head up there and meet you, but my college graduation actually falls on the day the game is going to be played. I will be lucky to even get home in time to pay for the stream. 

Despite the sad face, congrats on graduating from college. Hopefully, the transition to work and adult responsibilities is a relatively smooth one. 

Pity you could not make the game, this will likely be Venice's fourth title if my memory is correct.  

3 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

I would love to head up there and meet you, but my college graduation actually falls on the day the game is going to be played. I will be lucky to even get home in time to pay for the stream. 

Ah, you can commence anytime!  However, how many times can you see Venice lose to Lakeland two years in a row?:D

Seriously, congratulations on your perseverance and completion!  That is a major accomplishment and I hope you wear it proudly.  Soooo are you going to grad school or are you done?  

@Nulli Secundus and @DarterBlue2, thank you for the kind words. I attended a community for two years and have completed an AA, whatever that's worth. However, I am taking time to work now before furthering my education. Unfortunately, the cost of continuing is very prohibitive, especially for a 21-year-old college student without a scholarship left to fall back on. I want to major in history, as that topic has always been a fascination of mine. Regardless, excited to see what the future holds (and hopefully, a Venice victory about 6 days from now, which is all I really want for Christmas anyway. :D

4 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

@Nulli Secundus and @DarterBlue2, thank you for the kind words. I attended a community for two years and have completed an AA, whatever that's worth. However, I am taking time to work now before furthering my education. Unfortunately, the cost of continuing is very prohibitive, especially for a 21-year-old college student without a scholarship left to fall back on. I want to major in history, as that topic has always been a fascination of mine. Regardless, excited to see what the future holds (and hopefully, a Venice victory about 6 days from now, which is all I really want for Christmas anyway. :D

History is a fascinating subject which is often recounted from very different perspectives in different countries and in different periods of time. But it does not put food on the table and pay a mortgage unless you take it to its natural conclusion with a PHD.

Back when I was your age, once you completed your Bachelors, you were generally able to get your graduate studies paid for from a combination of: scholarships, fellowships, and research assistantships when you enrolled in a Doctoral program, provided you kept your grades up when doing the course work, and kept on track when writing your dissertation. Today, that path is more difficult, though still possible as it is more costly and fewer financial aid opportunities exist.

But determination and hard work usually end with the completion of goals, be it a state championship or a PHD. So, I admonish you to keep your head up and grind away if you really want to go in the path you outlined.   

Though I don't have a dog in this race, GO INDIANS!

Just to piggy back on Darter's advice, History is a fabulous subject matter to study and there are so many areas world wide you can focus your interests. But you are talking Florida teacher salary here unless your end goal is a very expensive, difficult, and time consuming  PHD. Salary isn't everything and having a job and career you love and enjoy can be special. Just be careful with the choices you make. Best to you young man. You've got the whole world in front of you. Peace.