The Building of Super Teams

Proseteye

If I may, would like to get feedback on what players, fans, and coaches feel about the new policy on unbridled transfers. What are your ideas on any player being able to transfer to any school at any time? Is it really a good idea to allow certain teams to build "super teams" or "all star" teams? Are the results going to be that there will be a handful of super teams with the rest of the teams unable to compete in any meaningful way? If the purpose of a high school is to promote school pride and dedication, along with academics and competition, how will this be accomplished for most of the schools that have been depleted of their best athletes? Also, what kind of games will we be watching where the outcome is non competitive due to one team being so much better than the other based solely upon good players having transferred in as opposed to homegrown talent? Are we in fact creating a monster situation? 

My opinion has not yet been fully formulated and the reason why I would like to hear differing opinions from folks that follow high school football as much as I do. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

If I may, would like to get feedback on what players, fans, and coaches feel about the new policy on unbridled transfers. What are your ideas on any player being able to transfer to any school at any time? Is it really a good idea to allow certain teams to build "super teams" or "all star" teams? Are the results going to be that there will be a handful of super teams with the rest of the teams unable to compete in any meaningful way? If the purpose of a high school is to promote school pride and dedication, along with academics and competition, how will this be accomplished for most of the schools that have been depleted of their best athletes? Also, what kind of games will we be watching where the outcome is non competitive due to one team being so much better than the other based solely upon good players having transferred in as opposed to homegrown talent? Are we in fact creating a monster situation? 

My opinion has not yet been fully formulated and the reason why I would like to hear differing opinions from folks that follow high school football as much as I do. :unsure:

Well a lot of these privates are already doing it

The open transfer rule is so teams can be built to increase the competition level and compete with these schools like sta for example 

It would be almost impossible for a north team to gather enough talent to challenge them but with open transfer teams could be built overnight and create some balance 

In large cities like Tampa and Jacksonville and Miami and Orlando it been happening for years,  this just means smaller areas can now do the same 

Honestly, I kind of look forward to seeing the "super teams" of old like Lakeland, Armwood, Manatee, Lincoln, Dwyer, Plant etc come back into the fold.   Not that those teams aren't good or even very good now, but they just aren't the same as they were back before 2010.   Am I a fan of IMG? No, but having 4-5 kids move to the dominant public school in the area and increasing the competition and level of play in some of FL's higher classes would be exciting.   I mean, I'd rather these consolidated powers at least be big class schools and not 1A-2A privates.  

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Honestly, I kind of look forward to seeing the "super teams" of old like Lakeland, Armwood, Manatee, Lincoln, Dwyer, Plant etc come back into the fold.   Not that those teams aren't good or even very good now, but they just aren't the same as they were back before 2010.   Am I a fan of IMG? No, but having 4-5 kids move to the dominant public school in the area and increasing the competition and level of play in some of FL's higher classes would be exciting.   I mean, I'd rather these consolidated powers at least be big class schools and not 1A-2A privates.  

I get feeling Lincoln and manatee are about to fall hard

I hope these rules help get us over the top so we can get back to states 

4 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Back in the day a big school like Ely or Dillard would dominate a team like AHP 10/10 times.   They'd beat STA every other year too.      

Sta and AHP wasn't what they are today back then though at least not as strong as today,  they would win but it wasn't like they were going 13 or 14 win seasons 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Sta and AHP wasn't what they are today back then though at least not as strong as today,  they would win but it wasn't like they were going 13 or 14 win seasons 

Well sure AHP became relevant around 2012 about the same time Sony Michel and Co came around.   They weren't much before that.    

St. Thomas has been solid since the early 90s.   They were decent in the 80s too to be honest.  

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Well sure AHP became relevant around 2012 about the same time Sony Michel and Co came around.   They weren't much before that.    

St. Thomas has been solid since the early 90s.   They were decent in the 80s too to be honest.  

They were solid in 80s and 90s but not the nearly unbeatable machine that they are now lol

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Are they really an unbeatable machine though?

I said nearly unbeatable lol

They can lose but it not as often as they did at one time and it been almost exc from south and a few very good central Florida teams 

Last north team to beat sta was Lincoln in 2001

16 years ago

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

No, but close. What I can say is that they are competitive on the national stage year in and year out. Can they lose at least once most years? Yes, but only to teams that are capable of making a State Title run.

I agree with this for the most part, but it's still HS football.  Not too long ago Cooper City beat STA.   

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I agree with this for the most part, but it's still HS football.  Not too long ago Cooper City beat STA.   

Yes that did happen but how often 

And better yet how much longer till a north team finally beats them in Orlando? 

Not a central Florida team like plant or lakeland but a North team 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes that did happen but how often 

And better yet how much longer till a north team finally beats them in Orlando? 

Not a central Florida team like plant or lakeland but a North team 

When's the last time a true north team made the 7A state finals?  2013?  Wasn't STA that beat em either.  

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

How much longer you think that lasts?

Don't know.   The panhandle, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee gotta get their ish together.   Who knows, Bartram Trail could possibly get to the ship this year with that Qb and some other good players.  It could happen.

8 hours ago, 954gator said:

How many thought Ponte Vedra would take it the distance with AHP?  I sure as hell didn't. 

People overlooked them because the strength of schedule wasn't that impressive but they proved they belonged for sure

They earned a lot of respect in that game 

8 hours ago, 954gator said:

Don't know.   The panhandle, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee gotta get their ish together.   Who knows, Bartram Trail could possibly get to the ship this year with that Qb and some other good players.  It could happen.

With their defense them and playing sta would be a very bad match-up but i see your point, we just need a dog in the fight to accually break that streak 

On 6/24/2017 at 10:46 AM, Proseteye said:

Proset, I too as a fan haven't had enough time to observe how this unlimited player movement will work itself out. One big concern being the disruption of team unity when seemingly outside hired guns arrive on campus to save the day and jettison a popular teammate and friend to the bench. Will teams split and pick sides ? Will coaches find enough playing time for athletes of similar abilities ? This added dynamic will change the face of Florida high school football. The pessimist in me isn't sure it will be for the better.     

18 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Proset, I too as a fan haven't had enough time to observe how this unlimited player movement will work itself out. One big concern being the disruption of team unity when seemingly outside hired guns arrive on campus to save the day and jettison a popular teammate and friend to the bench. Will teams split and pick sides ? Will coaches find enough playing time for athletes of similar abilities ? This added dynamic will change the face of Florida high school football. The pessimist in me isn't sure it will be for the better.     

That Also means when players are alienated or want playing time or parents want playing time they will transfer elsewhere so a lot of moving parts will be there, it will probably resemble college football more than high school in a few years 

I wonder though does these rules apply only to football or all sports? 

7 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Dan, I think it is already happening. I can only imagine the animosity that may be building on many teams. Top  players moving to super teams and immediately replacing a kid who has worked hard for 2 or 3 years and is now riding the bench. players who are being left on teams that cannot compete without their couple of star athletes. Coaches that work their butts off all summer only to see some of their top athletes slip out the back door, without much notice, thus upsetting the continuity of the team. Like you. I am waiting to see if it all will come out in the wash and possibly end up being a good thing. I do have my reservations, though.

I've never had a problem with school choice for academic reasons, but sports is totally different.  In my opinion, it compromises the whole reason we have classification in the first place.  When a 4a or 5a school can "attract"  twice the number of players of any other school in their class, they should be moved up, but the rules don't do that.  The original intent was to allow kids that are either home schooled or attend a small private or charter school  that doesn't offer a certain sport a chance to play at a school which does.  

On 6/26/2017 at 9:19 AM, Hwy17 said:

I've never had a problem with school choice for academic reasons, but sports is totally different.  In my opinion, it compromises the whole reason we have classification in the first place.  When a 4a or 5a school can "attract"  twice the number of players of any other school in their class, they should be moved up, but the rules don't do that.  The original intent was to allow kids that are either home schooled or attend a small private or charter school  that doesn't offer a certain sport a chance to play at a school which does.  

Sometimes moving from a lower class to a higher class is a positive for some schools. Some of the lower classes provide some of the toughest competition. I guess we will see how it affects teams like Bolles and Trinity Christian that moved up because they were considered too good for the classes they were in. Now, if they had both moved to 8A instead of 5A I think they would have had easier sledding than what they will have in 5A.