Teams to watch 2017

DisabledAccount

22 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Four years in a row Tallahassee Lincoln, and Palm Bay alternated as state champions. A couple of those times were in the state's largest classification. Wr Xavier Carter, FB Joe Cohen, and the DB who went to the Gator's and then the pro's ? Name slips my mind ? 

The DB you're thinking about is Reggie Nelson 

Throw in the Apopka win in '01 against Miami Northwestern and the north wasn't looking so weak 15 or so years ago. In 2016, from my own viewing, 4A Cocoa beat Miami Booker T Washington,  Ponte Vedra in 5A was right there with American Heritage-Plantation, Lake Gibson in 6A played equal to Miami Carol City, and 8A Dr. Phillips had Miami Southridge with only seconds remaining. Has the pendulum swung back to the north ? .... I conveniently forgot about 7A- St Thomas Aquinas.

4 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Thanks KeemD. Also forgot to mention, for the stat junkies out there, Palm Bay and Lincoln played each other 4 straight years in the state semi-finals. The winner won the state championship the following week. '99-Lincoln, '00-PB, '01-Lincoln,'02-PB #gottomuchtimeonmyhands :)

Wow 

We had a history with both teams during those times 

Palm Bay was team we beat in 97 to advance to finals

We beat 99' Lincoln during regular season 

And we had 01' Lincoln in our district and played them twice 

First time we came within 1 score of winning but playoff game wasn't as close

#extrafacts :P

4 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Throw in the Apopka win in '01 against Miami Northwestern and the north wasn't looking so weak 15 or so years ago. In 2016, from my own viewing, 4A Cocoa beat Miami Booker T Washington,  Ponte Vedra in 5A was right there with American Heritage-Plantation, Lake Gibson in 6A played equal to Miami Carol City, and 8A Dr. Phillips had Miami Southridge with only seconds remaining. Has the pendulum swung back to the north ? .... I conveniently forgot about 7A- St Thomas Aquinas.

It shifting slowly 

Sta hasnt faced the right team

Viera wasn't ready to beat sta in 2015

Plant wasn't as good as people made them to be,  honestly if they were any threat to sta they should have beaten Lee by 20 in the semifinals, Lee has a overly aggressive defense and if you have fast receivers that break through their man coverage they wont have a lot of safety help because what i saw them do was have only 1 saftey deep so math says if 2 recievers break on a go route one gonna be open deep for a td,  something sta would have exposed easily and something i thought plant could do

8 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I feel like Cocoa should've been back on the north side of the bracket along with Mainland. 

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Wow 

We had a history with both teams during those times 

Palm Bay was team we beat in 97 to advance to finals

We beat 99' Lincoln during regular season 

And we had 01' Lincoln in our district and played them twice 

First time we came within 1 score of winning but playoff game wasn't as close

#extrafacts :P

Coach Danny Green had the Tiger's ready every year. Beat my Bucs at Disney complex in that time frame (2001?).

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Yes, Cocoa always seemed to run into Glades Central early. Did see Chevelle Buie break their back for a championship though :)

Yea the first state title Cocoa was on the south side of the bracket playing Godby in state. The next 2 state titles they were on the north side playing Godby in regionals, Madison in semis and Glades Central in back to back state titles.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:02 PM, KeemD321 said:

Yea the first state title Cocoa was on the south side of the bracket playing Godby in state. The next 2 state titles they were on the north side playing Godby in regionals, Madison in semis and Glades Central in back to back state titles.

KeenD, many of the Flavarsity gang saw all those Cocoa championships in O-Town. Darter,  Wave,  MCannon, Laz, 307, BFleming, MrHigh, Peezy, Hearts bro, myself and others. Most all were Tiger fans. But you got to admit, that Godby game was pitiful. Both teams played poorly. You did get the ring..... anyway. 

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

KeenD, many of the Flavarsity gang saw all those Cocoa championships in O-Town. Darter,  Wave,  MCannon, Laz, 307, BFleming, MrHigh, Peezy, Hearts bro, myself and others. Most all were Tiger fans. But you got to admit, that Godby game was pitiful. Both teams played poorly. You did get the ring..... anyway. 

Nah, the defenses on those teams were just far and away better than the offenses.

13 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

Nah, the defenses on those teams were just far and away better than the offenses.

Godby threw 4 interceptions and had 5 fumbles, losing 2.  Cocoa averaged 2+ yards a carry and threw for 37 yards. Tiger kicker was 0-4 on FG attempts. Score 0-0, end of four. Cocoa blocks x-pt.  in OT for 7-6 win and 1st football championship. Nothing wrong with being a "Homer" Cocoa2010 and winning a title (I'm one myself), but to a neutral observer( who was pulling for Cocoa ) and a witness too more then 3 dozen FHSAA football title games going back to the 1980's, that game was a DOG ! :) Peace my friend, see you Oct 6th or in O-TOWN when Cocoa goes for another championship.

35 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Godby threw 4 interceptions and had 5 fumbles, losing 2.  Cocoa averaged 2+ yards a carry and threw for 37 yards. Tiger kicker was 0-4 on FG attempts. Score 0-0, end of four. Cocoa blocks x-pt.  in OT for 7-6 win and 1st football championship. Nothing wrong with being a "Homer" Cocoa2010 and winning a title (I'm one myself), but to a neutral observer( who was pulling for Cocoa ) and a witness too more then 3 dozen FHSAA football title games going back to the 1980's, that game was a DOG ! :) Peace my friend, see you Oct 6th or in O-TOWN when Cocoa goes for another championship.

I was there as you know. And I agree with you. It was not a game befitting of a State Championship. The Cocoa teams that won the following two years were much better!