Greatest college football coach

DisabledAccount

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I saw people arguing saying sabin but i think it should go to either Bobby Bowden or Bear Bryant 

What your all's thoughts on this arguement 

Very hard question to answer.  With social media now success is 80% recruiting.  

Bear Bryant to me is #1.  To be that successful for that long with extremely limited recruiting abilities compared to today is insane.

Shut down the internet, and you have a whole different ball game.

2 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Bear Bryant to me is #1.  To be that successful for that long with extremely limited recruiting abilities compared to today is insane.

I been arguing bear Bryant being best bama coach past 30 minutes and not even a bama fan lol 

19 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Give Nick Saban a stack of paper, a pen , thousands of envelopes, a typewriter, and word of mouth recruiting, and see how that works out for him...

I actually think it was easier back then.  Very few programs really cared and there were no scholarship limits.  With the money involved today and the scholarship limits I think it is difficult to win every year.   You will never see a run again like UCLA in basketball and Saban has come the closest to matching what Bear was able to do.  

my top 3.  If Saban wins a few more he moves to number 1 in my opinion

1. Bear

2. Saban

3. Bowden

33 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Limited recruiting abilities? I'm pretty sure they had infinite scholarships back then.

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

And how about hudl and game film just clicks away?

Do you think Bear Bryant knew had the ability to pick and pinpoint with the time and convenience of the internet?

Could you imagine how much those coaches in past era would do with internet

Or someone like Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi dealing with social media or the insane technology involved in football these days

5 minutes ago, Cjm04 said:

1.  Eddie Robinson

2.  Nick Saban

3. Robert Clecker Bowden

I'll give you Eddie Robinson on longevity and would have him in my top 10.

Bear Bryant:

• Record as a College Head Coach: 323-85-17 (.760)
  • Notable Accomplishments: 1961, ’64, ’65, ’73, ’78, ’79 National Champion; 15-time Conference Champion

Eddie Robinson: 

• Record as a College Head Coach: 408-116-15 (.757)
  • Notable Accomplishments: 17-time Conference Champions; 9 Black College National Championships

Ik he may have stained his legacy with how it ended but Joe Paterno was a solid coach for a long time and before he left Penn State he was all time wins leader among coaches and had Penn State competitive for a large majority of time at Penn State and had one of biggest upsets in championship history when Penn State beat Miami in 86 fiesta bowl

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

And how about hudl and game film just clicks away?

Do you think Bear Bryant had the ability to pick and pinpoint his talent with the speed and convenience of the internet?

He had infinite scholarships. He could get any player he wanted. I guarantee you offer that to coaches now instead of the internet and I bet most would want infinite scholarships.

Just now, Cocoa2010 said:

He had infinite scholarships. He could get any player he wanted. I guarantee you offer that to coaches now instead of the internet and I bet most would want infinite scholarships.

I doubt they had rosters of 300 though so offer anyone a scholarship but get too many and you cut them and they go elsewhere and Might come back to Beat you with a rival school lol

7 minutes ago, Cocoa2010 said:

But I also could probably guarantee you 80% of the rosters would be within a 100 mile radius of the campus without the internet.

Unlimited scholarships was  not solely applied to Bear Bryant, it was the entire NCAA if I am not mistaken.

In fact the NCAA did away with infinite scholarships in 1972 and Bryant won 8 more SEC  titles and 3 more National Championships.

Bryant also had more charisma then Saban IMO and probably help create sets in football and was an Xs and Os guy...

https://www.espn.com/classic/biography/s/Bryant_Bear.html

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Bowden didn't win enough National titles.  He is like Bobby Cox.  Should have won a lot more and probably would be considered the greatest but they always found a way to lose.

Bobby said his tombstone would read "But he had to play Miami."  He was a little unlucky in a few of those in-state battles.