We have a shocker DP goes down

badbird

Not a shocker, both are clear 8A contenders as I have been saying.

I have to call it like I see it and this one is painfully easy to see. DP blew the game going for it on 4th down from its own 38 in the 4th quarter. It was 0-0. At that point neither team has accumulated 100 yards and the clear decision is to punt and pin your opponent. Instead the field flips. Game. 

That is a clear numbers move. It's not even close to being a decision that should be questioned.

That one play determined this game from a statistical perspective because it flips the field and the average yards per play between the teams is probably less than 2.0. One 30-yard play at that point is THE difference for the opposing team with a FG who has a pulse. Very Shocked with that move. 

36 minutes ago, badbird said:

Wekiva 14 DP 0.  Wekiva has a great defense.

Not really a shocker. DP has not impressed me much this year. I thought last year's team was at least a level better. I did pick DP to win this game mostly because Wekiva had shown very little offense in its last two games. 

A few comments:

1. I did not see any Wekiva players kneel when the anthem was played. Perhaps administration had a say in this.

2. The best team won tonight. Wekiva missed a field goal wide right in the second quarter from 35 yards just wide right. 

3. Wekiva fumbled the ball at the DP 2 in the third quarter which DP recovered in the end zone for a touch back.

4. The score was all zero till the fourth. Wekiva scored on a 35 yard QB keeper (Brandon WIlliams) midway through the 4th.

5. Former Blue Darter Cayvian Holmes sealed the deal with a pick 6 on DP's next posession.

If these two teams meet again, I don't know what will happen. However, tonight Wekiva deserved the win. Their defensive interior is very, very good and their secondary is good. Apopka will have its hands full against them later this month.

1 minute ago, badbird said:

umm Wekiva's offense is brutal and only scored 15 points vs a bad Olympia defense.  Wekiva is not a contender unless their defense shuts everyone out.

With Brandon Williams at QB, Wekiva's offense is adequate. The kid is a good runner and an average plus passer. When Sean Robles is taking the snaps, the offense tends to stall because while he has a decent arm he is not accurate; and he is not a runner. 

If Wekiva can score 14 or more against quality teams they are difficult to beat. 

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

This DP team is just not explosive on offense like years past.  They are also not as good up front on defense as years past but they are still good.  They still could make a run in a region that doesn't have a dominating team right now.

Who you think has edge out of Osecola and apopka? 

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

With Brandon Williams at QB, Wekiva's offense is adequate. The kid is a good runner and an average plus passer. When Sean Robles is taking the snaps, the offense tends to stall because while he has a decent arm he is not accurate; and he is not a runner. 

If Wekiva can score 14 or more against quality teams they are difficult to beat. 

Is Williams #1?  If so yes they need to play him more at QB.  It appears they did that this game. They ran a lot of zone schemes the game I went too and their OL doesn't seem to fit zone blocking.  I do have faith that their OC will figure it out.  He was the OC at Edgewater when they were dominating Central Florida.  I would love to see Wekiva and Apopka meet up in the third round of the playoffs.  Imagine how packed that would be.

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Who you think has edge out of Osecola and apopka? 

They are in different regions so wouldn't meet to the Semis if they both got there.  I would favor Apopka in that matchup because I think they match up better vs Osceola.  Apopka usually struggles vs teams that can throw the ball and that is not Osceola's strong suit. 

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Is Williams #1?  If so yes they need to play him more at QB.  It appears they did that this game. They ran a lot of zone schemes the game I went too and their OL doesn't seem to fit zone blocking.  I do have faith that their OC will figure it out.  He was the OC at Edgewater when they were dominating Central Florida.  I would love to see Wekiva and Apopka meet up in the third round of the playoffs.  Imagine how packed that would be.

Yes. Is the OC Buddy Hurd?

Yes, a third round between Apopka vs Wekiva would have at least 7000. Both teams have to get there first, though.

24 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

8a is a head scratcher right now!! WHO IS THE FAVORITE TO WIN 8A!!!! Lol!!

There is no real favorite at this time. Come the playoffs, one or two teams may separate themselves. My dark horse from Central Florida is Seminole High. They are young, but talented.

But I could see any of: Apopka, DP, Wekiva, Seminole, Osceola, Winter Park, Vero Beach, Riverview or Orange City representing the North, maybe even Spruce Creek. 

In the South, I could see: Columbus, Miami High, South Ridge, Deerfield Beach, Miramar or maybe even South Dade. 

(IMO) Outside of maybe 5A AH-P most classes appear to be wide open. Last year's championships in O-TOWN showed the North/South gap may have narrowed. Always good to see competition. This year's "daisy chain" (A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A) might be crazy with no confirmed powerhouse, barring IMG that is....

1 minute ago, Dan in Daytona said:

(IMO) Outside of 5A AH-P most classes appear to be wide open. Last year's championships in O-TOWN showed the North/South gap may have narrowed. Always good to see competition. This year's "daisy chain" (A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A) might be crazy with no confirmed powerhouse, barring IMG that is....

Cardinal Gibbons might be good enough to beat AHP so even 5a is open