Vote for the Worst HS Teams in Florida

OldSchoolLion

15 minutes ago, Coach said:

I'm from around the Orlando area and Poinciana's struggles are well-known around here. The school has athletes there (I believe they won a State Championship in Boy's Basketball not too long ago) but I think the population is what hurts football. The demographics are like 70% Hispanic and football just doesn't seem as popular there as basketball. So there are athletes but 1) they aren't interested in football and 2) there's no history to build upon. That's going to be tough to get out of that cycle for the next coach.

Great point and probably the same reason Hialeah Gardens and Hialeah Westland Hialeah are struggling as well.  With coaches and players moving around so much now, you wonder if they will ever be able to build a winning program in these places.  I'm afraid those great stories of coach's taking a losing program and building them into a state power in 8 years are going to be harder to come by in the future.    

7 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

How is Celebration's history compared to Poinciana's? Roughly similar?

For the most part? Yes. Celebration had a good staff in place a few years ago and won 6 or 7 games but he left and the bottom fell out again. They are typically a 0-3 win team per year. They're issue seems to me (from the outside) to come from impatience. I think they've had close to 10 coaches in like 15 years. The level of turnover is absurd.

35 minutes ago, Coach said:

For the most part? Yes. Celebration had a good staff in place a few years ago and won 6 or 7 games but he left and the bottom fell out again. They are typically a 0-3 win team per year. They're issue seems to me (from the outside) to come from impatience. I think they've had close to 10 coaches in like 15 years. The level of turnover is absurd.

Everyone seems to be searching for nirvana.  Players want playing time and exposure NOW.  Coaches chase the carrot for a higher salary/prestige and find the grass isn't always greener.   Fans/AD's want wins NOW.  

It takes an AD and coach with some cojones and vision to say this is the way it is going to be, we're building a sustainable program with a winning tradition, and if you don't like it play or cheer elsewhere.  Easier said than done.

Look at just about any of today's traditional winning programs and nearly every one has had the benefit of a good coach who stayed there 8 years or more at some time in the past.

alot of the problems in orange and osceola county is this,  

kids would rather go be a back up at _ _ _ _ _ than lose games at _ _ _ _ _.

easy example, as it sticks out in my head and never made sense to me as to why.

the kelly kid from gateway/osceola.  kelly was 2.5 year starter, led gatewy in rushing and helped them to their first playoff birth ever.  he was their stud, lots of touches, etc....  for some reason he leaves there his sr year to osceola.  and is a back up, limited touches all year.  sure they run flexbone and guys mix and match carries as coach nicholls does a great job, but he wasnt necessarily good enough to steal a large amount.  at gateway he would have gotten 20 a game, ohs 3-7 per.

orange isnt alot different.  kids move around alot.

ADs/principals for some reason think this is college ball and if you change the head of the show, the program will change.  maybe a bit.  but if you dont let him stay for 5+, what justice are you doing the kids/program/community.  

a school in orange just lost a coach who left for a better job.  he did an ok job there too.  they will hire a new guy, not change 1 assistant and the results will be similar or worse. 3 years later hes out.

3 hours ago, dawgs said:

colonial has not made the playoffs in the last 14 years, the last time they made the playoffs was 1998, under Ed Kowsha.

My dawg Ed Koschewa.  I miss that guy.  However he wasn't the coach at Colonial in 1998.  That was Bill Holt and I was on that staff in 1998 and we didn't make the playoffs.  Last time Colonial made the playoffs was 1993.

maybe it was 99, sucks getting old.  i know ed went 6-4 1 year at colonial, they should have built a statue of him for pulling that stunt.  breitbel went 5-5 1 year too.  a 2nd statute for him.  all kinds of good looking kids have gone thru that school.  but never enough.

1 hour ago, dawgs said:

maybe it was 99, sucks getting old.  i know ed went 6-4 1 year at colonial, they should have built a statue of him for pulling that stunt.  breitbel went 5-5 1 year too.  a 2nd statute for him.  all kinds of good looking kids have gone thru that school.  but never enough.

Sticky fingers, Kevin Eliot. 

Celebration has 35 wins in 15 years which comes out to 2.3 wins per year. 

Poinciana has 43 wins In 25 years. That comes out to 1.7 wins per year. 

I did not count any forfeits. If I count forfeits Poinciana would be even worse. They have got to be the worst team in state history with at least 10 years played. 15 years. 25 years. Whatever the criteria, Poinciana is the worst of the worst. Literally