Northeast FL rankings (Post Spring Football)

DisabledAccount

32 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Mainland is really Central Florida. Regarding the actual rankings, I don't see how Spruce Creek gets ranked ahead of Lee and Bolles unless those two teams are seriously down. And, like Mainland, Spruce Creek should be Central Florida, and is now way no how better than Mainland!

I agree, i felt mainland should have been top 10

Lee without Derrick Jones will be down 

Not sure what to expect with Bolles but Mandrian handled them pretty easily in their spring game 

Bolles the "4th" and Mainland the "5th" listed honorable mention is in that area is also off to me.

@BrendanJ_Duval, I know it is still late spring but could you please add like a sentence or some reference as to why you have each team listed in this order.  At this point, it appears you have a pretty nice dart board at home....

4 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Bolles the "4th" and Mainland the "5th" listed honorable mention is in that area is also off to me.

@BrendanJ_Duval, I know it is still late spring but could you please add like a sentence or some reference as to why you have each team listed in this order.  At this point, it appears you have a pretty nice dart board at home....

It was difficult making that list earlier. I do Rankings for spring time based off last season’s record, Spring Game Results and etc. Almost kinda like the College Football Top 25 poll format. Mainland had a decent season and started to climb. Mandarin got brought in because they did well vs Bolles and Bolles isn’t too good now it seems. Lee dropped because of the lost to Trinity Christian. FPC moved up due to winning 8A-1 last season and scored a good amount of points vs Fleming Island. Everyone else is because of last season’s results such as state playoffs and/or last season’s results or Spring Game results. Raines is still up because of State Championship last year. I was debating to move them down to like #5.

5 minutes ago, Brendan Johnson said:

It was difficult making that list earlier. I do Rankings for spring time based off last season’s record, Spring Game Results and etc. Almost kinda like the College Football Top 25 poll format. Mainland had a decent season and started to climb. Mandarin got brought in because they did well vs Bolles and Bolles isn’t too good now it seems. Lee dropped because of the lost to Trinity Christian. FPC moved up due to winning 8A-1 last season and scored a good amount of points vs Fleming Island. Everyone else is because of last season’s results such as state playoffs and/or last season’s results or Spring Game results. Raines is still up because of State Championship last year. I was debating to move them down to like #5.

I heard Bradford lost a lot, how did they end up in top 10?

Also how much consideration went into a team like Fort White, Ribault, Trinity Christian, or ponte vedra? 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I heard Bradford lost a lot, how did they end up in top 10?

Also how much consideration went into a team like Fort White, Ribault, Trinity Christian, or ponte vedra? 

Bradford did well last year. I took them in to replace Fletcher. I think Fletcher, Ponte Vedra And Trinity Christian will find a way in coming this fall. New Rankings won’t be until Week 1 is done.

9 minutes ago, Brendan Johnson said:

So Columbia at 7-4 last year pushes them up to #1?

As in below Baker County?

17 minutes ago, badbird said:

Might be the worst poll ever plus his region is all screwed up.  Other than that it isn't that bad.

Dang bad birdy

Quit trying to scare him off before he even gets in the door lol

Yes definitely some room for improvement but it's much better rankings then the current calpreps rankings for FL 

Calpreps has Bartram Trail at 18th in FL and has Columbia at 40th

Bartram trail lost everything they had, they shouldn't be anywhere near top 25

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes but as he stated spring games also have a impact on the rankings 

Us beating bartram trail the way we did probably was key factor for us being ranked as high as we are 

Columbia, why would you think that spring games have an impact on rankings and why should they? Spring games are nothing more than scrimmages where coaches are playing their entire roster and supposedly to be assessing what they have and don't have. Any scrimmage, 3 months from the regular season with only a few days preparation, has no realistic bearing on how a team will do in the regular season, IMO. In fact, I really see no purpose for spring games at all. Players have little preparation time in pads resulting in the possibility of more injuries than normal. Any coach that sees it necessary to run his starters at full speed the entire spring game, just to show off that his team is superior, is not a coach that cares about the well being of his players. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

21 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Columbia, why would you think that spring games have an impact on rankings and why should they? Spring games are nothing more than scrimmages where coaches are playing their entire roster and supposedly to be assessing what they have and don't have. Any scrimmage, 3 months from the regular season with only a few days preparation, has no realistic bearing on how a team will do in the regular season, IMO. In fact, I really see no purpose for spring games at all. Players have little preparation time in pads resulting in the possibility of more injuries than normal. Any coach that sees it necessary to run his starters at full speed the entire spring game, just to show off that his team is superior, is not a coach that cares about the well being of his players. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

By that logic though we would have absolutely nothing to look at when trying to evaluate a teams potential going into the season 

While I wouldn't base evaluation entirely on spring games i wouldn't completely discredit the use of them from a evaluation perspective 

You can only learn so much from practicing against your own team and things like these team camps,  7v7, spring games, scrimmages and kickoff classics all are good tools for testing the waters against other teams so you can evaluate your entire team while facing opposing competition 

Most our Starters didn't even play a entire half and by midway through 3rd quarter all our starters were out so we weren't using that game just to show force,  if we wanted to show force we probably could have put up 50 points in that game 

You can only judge teams based on past results or paper rosters for so far,  spring games are great opportunity to get a sneak preview and see potential playmakers for the upcoming season and get a feel for which positions need work and which are strong as well as get a preview into your depth and future stars 

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Might be the worst poll ever plus his region is all screwed up.  Other than that it isn't that bad.

It’s a lot of Counties I’m covering, Ok maybe Volusia is more of the Central Florida area but that’s as far south I go and plus many teams in that County play lots of Jacksonville teams and even south of Jacksonville. There is more competition with Volusia schools playing schools North of them than in Counties south of them like Seminole and Orange. Yes the rankings might not be exact, But it’s more accurate than the one from last week. Now people kinda know how I felt about College Football Poll Rankings, It’s unfair but makes more sense once everything adds up based off last season’s results and such. 

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Dang bad birdy

Quit trying to scare him off before he even gets in the door lol

Yes definitely some room for improvement but it's much better rankings then the current calpreps rankings for FL 

Calpreps has Bartram Trail at 18th in FL and has Columbia at 40th

Bartram trail lost everything they had, they shouldn't be anywhere near top 25

So, Bartram "lost everything."  Well, it didn't lose Darrell Sutherland, one of the most successful, tenured coaches in the state.  It didn't lose one of the top football fields in the state.  It didn't lose their very wealthy parent base (BT ranks #20 in the state in family income) which probably has a lot of interest in the program's continued success wink wink.  Things like that will ensure a quality team year in and year out much more so than the whims of teenagers transferring to the "program of the month."    

BT has 9 seasons in a row with a winning record.  How many teams out there can say the same?  Though I may not bet on them to make the state final, there is no way I would bet against them.

Bartram_Trail_field.jpg

9 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

So, Bartram "lost everything."  Well, it didn't lose Darrell Sutherland, one of the most successful, tenured coaches in the state.  It didn't lose one of the top football fields in the state.  It didn't lose their very wealthy parent base (BT ranks #20 in the state in family income) which probably has a lot of interest in the program's continued success wink wink.  Things like that will ensure a quality team year in and year out much more so than the whims of teenagers transferring to the "program of the month."    

BT has 9 seasons in a row with a winning record.  How many teams out there can say the same?  Though I may not bet on them to make the state final, there is no way I would bet against them.

Bartram_Trail_field.jpg

How about Bartram Trail-Darrell Sutherland-18 seasons-1 state title

Yes they do still have a very good coaching staff but they don't have the same firepower of last year team 

They probably make playoffs but I'm very confident that if they match up with us in the playoffs  it will be the same result as we had in the spring game 

Bartram struggled with offensive production throughout the game (specifically passing which was their biggest strength last year) not only that but first few drives out of the gate we drove down the field on them with ease

It isn't something that will fix overnight and while it isn't out of the realm of possibility they improve on some of these things I didn't see the same team that went to finals last year 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes they do still have a very good coaching staff but they don't have the same firepower of last year team 

They probably make playoffs but I'm very confident that if they match up with us in the playoffs  it will be the same result as we had in the spring game 

Bartram struggled with offensive production throughout the game (specifically passing which was their biggest strength last year) not only that but first few drives out of the gate we drove down the field on them with ease

It isn't something that will fix overnight and while it isn't out of the realm of possibility they improve on some of these things I didn't see the same team that went to finals last year 

How positive are you that somebody will not transfer in?

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

How positive are you that somebody will not transfer in?

Could happen but we could get transfers as well

So could anyone,  I'll cross the bridge if it is built but I can't just assume that happens,  i can only base it on what i saw when both teams were on the field together :)

7 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Could happen but we could get transfers as well

So could anyone,  I'll cross the bridge if it is built but I can't just assume that happens,  i can only base it on what i saw when both teams were on the field together :)

Bingo.  As transient as things are today, these spring predictions have lost even more value than in the past. That is why I look to things beyond individual athletes.