Complete Disney Schedule (Times/Dates/Locations)

nolebull813

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

ColumbiaFan....I am pretty sure this whole affair at Disney is about making money and the sponsors could care less who played as long they made money.  You are looking at this from a hardcore fan-of-the-game perspective.  Our opinion does not matter any more!  It is all about commercialization.  Get used to it.  I do not see things getting any better.  

Disney would make money just by getting games set up

The more games the more money

Your right they don't care who plays as long as they can fill out a schedule of games

It's up to the teams who wants to play

Living in CO currently and the small town I live in (Montrose) who was a state runner up a few years ago it’s painful to watch. A lot of these teams I’ve seen are poorly coached with little community support. I quit going with my father in law it’s not even fun to watch them compared to FL ball.

3 minutes ago, Trelle said:

Living in CO currently and the small town I live in (Montrose) who was a state runner up a few years ago it’s painful to watch. A lot of these teams I’ve seen are poorly coached with little community support. I quit going with my father in law it’s not even fun to watch them compared to FL ball.

That might explain why Colorado teams don't want to face elite FL teams 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They are welcome to come to FL but why is it that FL has to always take the handcuffed route even as a host for a game

They should treasure a opportunity to step on the field with a elite FL team, its a slap in the face that they want to handpick a easy game when we are offering them a great opportunity to see a great state bring teams at their best,  since a oos loss won't hurt their in state chances to chase a championship why would they feel the need to go so conservativly

You said they using it as a start point, ok then in that case could you show me a list of teams who in the past from Colorado who played a easy first game then came back for a tougher game

And i respect Columbine because even though Orange City University isn't necessary elite on state level at least it shows they were trying to find a team who is winnable game but won't be some pushover 

5-4 missed the playoffs with a 5 star back. 

No they were looking for an easy win. 

29 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I'm not saying every team that travels is looking for an easy win. About 80 percent are. 

10% are looking for an even game,  and 10% are looking for a really tough opponent. Chatfield,CO played Braden River

And i respect them for playing someone good

Braden River isn't no world beater like STA or Miami Central  but they are a solid team that a oos team like Chatfield probably learned a lot by playing

47 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And i respect them for playing someone good

Braden River isn't no world beater like STA or Miami Central  but they are a solid team that a oos team like Chatfield probably learned a lot by playing

I don't care that oos teams do it. As long as people are honest. The thing is, the matchups are blatantly one sided there is no defense. It was created for an auto win. 

I just call it how I see it. You can tell right off the bat who is looking for a guaranteed win, and who is looking for a good game. And you can tell who is trying to challenge themselves. 

But there is a negative for that too. International School of Broward challenges themselves but they are a JV team who loses every game by 40 plus. So that doesn't do anyone justice 

3 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I don't care that oos teams do it. As long as people are honest. The thing is, the matchups are blatantly one sided there is no defense. It was created for an auto win. 

I just call it how I see it. You can tell right off the bat who is looking for a guaranteed win, and who is looking for a good game. And you can tell who is trying to challenge themselves. 

But there is a negative for that too. International School of Broward challenges themselves but they are a JV team who loses every game by 40 plus. So that doesn't do anyone justice 

That's called being stupid!  Playing a team you can't beat and losing by blowout doesn't help you.  It just proves you aren't on that level.  

3 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

That's called being stupid!  Playing a team you can't beat and losing by blowout doesn't help you.  It just proves you aren't on that level.  

Well the Florida teams who agree to play these out of state schools are to blame. 

Look at FAMU High they agreed to play some national top 25 team when they weren't even in the top 9,000 last year 

2 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Well the Florida teams who agree to play these out of state schools are to blame. 

Look at FAMU High they agreed to play some national top 25 team when they weren't even in the top 9,000 last year 

That's dumb.  Better off scheduling a strong team in your own class. 

4 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

That's dumb.  Better off scheduling a strong team in your own class. 

24 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I could not blame a person for saying the whole idea of playing OOS games at a high-school level is dumb, especially when teams in FL have all they want in terms of competition right in their back yard.   

We should accept the Disney games for what they are... a bunch of B- teams getting together to play some ball in a fun setting.  Different people have different motivations for playing in these games, I'm sure.  Bottom line, are the kids having a good time and gaining a memory they will have for life.  The rest is a big ego trip.

Are the OOS coaches sending the wrong message by not forcing themselves to play a tougher opponent?  I can think of a lot of "messages" being sent today in hs football that are far more harmful, ie the transfer mentality in Florida.

Since 2008, STA has played more out-of-state teams than teams from Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties combined.   How about the message that sends concerning the importance of local rivalries and community engagement?

There are mixed messages all over the place.

14 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I could not blame a person for saying the whole idea of playing OOS games at a high-school level is dumb, especially when teams in FL have all they want in terms of competition right in their back yard.   

We should accept the Disney games for what they are... a bunch of B- teams getting together to play some ball in a fun setting.  Different people have different motivations for playing in these games, I'm sure.  Bottom line, are the kids having a good time and gaining a memory they will have for life.  The rest is a big ego trip.

Are the OOS coaches sending the wrong message by not forcing themselves to play a tougher opponent?  I can think of a lot of "messages" being sent today in hs football that are far more harmful, ie the transfer mentality in Florida.

Since 2008, STA has played more out-of-state teams than teams from Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties combined.   How about the message that sends concerning the importance of local rivalries and community engagement?

There are mixed messages all over the place.

To your point, I also see struggling programs that get suckered into playing teams they got no business playing.  I do believe that playing tougher competition will better your program, but let's use a real team as an example - If you were coach of Bradenton Bayshore, what good does it do you to get beat in a running clock by playing teams like Palmetto or Braden River?  For someone like them, they should go find another good (winning program/playoff contender) in class 4a or 5a for a non-district game.   JMO. 

5 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I think the opposite. We have great teams spread out and if these teams came here they would get ran off the field in the playoffs. 

No one in the nation with our 5A enrollment was getting past Gibbons or AHP. 

And when Booker T was tearing it up for 5-6 years no one with 900 in enrollment outside of some recruited privates would have stranded a chance. 

A few years ago 3A Trinity Christian beat 8A semi finalist West Orange 42-7. 

Hell in Texas the only class any teams from there would win in Florida is 8A. There smaller classes would be playing STA, Miami Central, AHP etc and would get embarrassed 

In 2014 a "good" Madison County beat a "good" Brooks County Georgia team.  The following year, Brooks County beat MC.  Like MC, Brooks County is a rural school.

In 2016, a "good" Niceville team beat a "good" Mississippi team.  In 2014, a "very good" Niceville team that made the 7A state semis lost to a "very good" Clay Chalkville Alabama team by score of 44-23.  That Alabama team would be 4A in Florida.

I am sure we could find more examples of B+ Florida schools playing B+ schools from surrounding Southern states in which the results were mixed.  Relatively speaking, the number of such games is very small and it is impossible to draw valid conclusions.

One thing is for sure.  There are enough examples of such FL teams being beat that one cannot say definitively that Florida is heads above the other Southern states.   IMG and the Broward private schools are a totally separate critter and it is difficult to compare them versus anyone outside of Los Angeles.   There is nothing like a Broward County in the Southern states, unless you consider consider Texas or parts of Louisiana.  Outside south FL, the South is mainly Baptist, so one finds smaller Christian schools where football is not necessarily a priority.   If anyone doesn't believe me, try driving around Alabama and see how many Catholic churches/schools you find.

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In 2014 a "good" Madison County beat a "good" Brooks County Georgia team.  The following year, Brooks County beat MC.  Like MC, Brooks County is a rural school.

In 2016, a "good" Niceville team beat a "good" Mississippi team.  In 2014, a "very good" Niceville team that made the 7A state semis lost to a "very good" Clay Chalkville Alabama team by score of 44-23.  That Alabama team would be 4A in Florida.

I am sure we could find more examples of B+ Florida schools playing B+ schools from surrounding Southern states in which the results were mixed.  Relatively speaking, the number of such games is very small and it is impossible to draw valid conclusions.

One thing is for sure.  There are enough examples of such FL teams being beat that one cannot say definitively that Florida is heads above the other Southern states.   IMG and the Broward private schools are a totally separate critter and it is difficult to compare them versus anyone outside of Los Angeles.   There is nothing like a Broward County in the Southern states, unless you consider consider Texas or parts of Louisiana.  Outside south FL, the South is mainly Baptist, so one finds smaller Christian schools where football is not necessarily a priority.   If anyone doesn't believe me, try driving around Alabama and see how many Catholic churches/schools you find.

LOL, I didn't know so many African Americans were Catholic either.

Growing up as a kid, Florida wasn't much different from Alabama 

6 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I think the opposite. We have great teams spread out and if these teams came here they would get ran off the field in the playoffs. 

And when Booker T was tearing it up for 5-6 years no one with 900 in enrollment outside of some recruited privates would have stranded a chance. 

Hell in Texas the only class any teams from there would win in Florida is 8A. There smaller classes would be playing STA, Miami Central, AHP etc and would get embarrassed 

Florida private schools are in a unique position.  We have some relatively large private schools in huge metro areas in a state with very liberal transfer rules.  The potential exists to build "superteams" unlike any other place I know of in the South.  And the kids want to come because on top of good football they can get a good education.

In Georgia, am aware of only a couple private schools that play in the larger classes with the public schools.  Gwinnett County in metro Atlanta has half the population of Broward County.  They have 11 players in the ESPN 300 and the following public schools, all of whom have been nationally ranked over the years, are in that county.

For the most part, there are only Christian schools in Gwinnett County and football is not there thing.  If there was a St Thomas Aquinas-type school in Gwinnett where the kids had access like they do in south Florida, they could easily build a program that could rival Florida's best private schools with the talent they have.     

Archer

Brookwood

Buford

Grayson

Norcross

North Gwinnett

Parkview

8 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Most of those big-name private schools we hear about in California would be 4A or 5A if in Florida.  For instance, St John Bosco and De La Salle would both be 4A.  IMO some of those private schools would have given Gibbons or AHP all they wanted last season. 

No doubt, Gibbons' games against AHP were very impressive and Gibbons looked great on paper.  But what great teams did they dominate on the field last year?  They barely beat Rockledge in the playoffs.  For that reason, I am not convinced they would run every other 5A-level school in the country off the field.

AHP struggled with Immokalee, and I feel certain Gibbons would have as well.  Immokalee is tough because they are a rural school in an impoverished area and those kids are tough as nails.  There are many "Immokalee's" in the South....schools you may have never heard of before.  Rural places where the kids know their only way out is football.  Rome GA was one of only a handful of rural schools that made the national rankings and they were nasty last season.    

17 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Look at FAMU's schedule.  I don't know a lot about them, but looking at their recent history and expectations of their program for 2018 from twitter/message boards and general communication with some friends at NFC- in what world are they living putting Trinity Christian, CCC and Jax First Coast on the schedule.  Those 3 teams will demolish them. I understand scheduling one of them as a measuring stick game, especially Trinity since it's good TV exposure for the team- but all 3 of them?  

When we look at results of these OOS games, we need to be careful to look beyond the score and understand who is playing who.  

In 2010 and 2011, Columbia played a series with Brooks County, GA.  Both are rural schools.  Columbia had about 1800 students back then and Brooks County had about 500.  They split the series.  Brooks won in 2011 against a good Columbia team that beat St Augustine in the playoffs.

This year, Dr Phillips, a school with about 3800 students, will face a rural Lee County, GA school with about 1900 students.  In addition to the difference in student population, Dr P also has the advantage of being in a huge metro area from which they can pull transfers.  If Dr P pummels them, 20 years from now ColumbiaFan Jr:blink: will be using it as an example of the superiority of FL hs football.  IMO Dr P has a substantial built-in advantage.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:35 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Just curious, in 2010 Columbia traveled to Louisiana and played a team that finished 4-6 that year.  In the 6 seasons prior to that, this Louisiana team had a combined total of 21 wins.  Louisiana had a number of good teams back then.  Why did Columbia play them? 

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Just curious, in 2010 Columbia traveled to Louisiana and played a team that finished 4-6 that year.  In the 6 seasons prior to that, this team had a combined total of 21 wins.  Louisiana had a number of good teams back then.  Why did Columbia play them? 

Idk it was under the previous head coach 

But it wasn't like we were that good that year we went 7-3 and finished 3rd in our district 

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In 2009, an 8-3 Columbia team played Charlton County GA to a 48-48 tie.  Columbia has well over 4 times as many students as Charlton County.  In 2008, Camden County GA, a much bigger school than Charlton, beat Columbia 31-0.  I guess none of the bigger schools in GA were available in 09.:rolleyes:  Shame on those Colorado schools for not pickin' a fair fight with some of our FL schools.:)

29 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

When we look at results of these OOS games, we need to be careful to look beyond the score and understand who is playing who.  

In 2010 and 2011, Columbia played a series with Brooks County, GA.  Both are rural schools.  Columbia had about 1800 students back then and Brooks County had about 500.  They split the series.  Brooks won in 2011 against a good Columbia that beat St Augustine in the playoffs.

This year, Dr Phillips, a school with about 3800 students, will face a rural Lee County, GA school with about 1900 students.  In addition to the difference in student population, Dr P also has the advantage of being in a huge metro area from which they can pull transfers.  If Dr P pummels them, 20 years from now ColumbiaFan Jr:blink: will be using it as an example of the superiority of FL hs football.  IMO Dr P has a substantial built-in advantage.

You also didn't mention that was a first year head coach in his first game ever on sideline,  don't you think that had a little to do with it

We started 0-2 that year before team starting getting better as season progressed 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In 2009, an 8-3 Columbia team played Charlton County GA to a 48-48 tie.  Columbia has well over 4 times as many students as Charlton County.  In 2008, Camden County GA, a much bigger school than Charlton, beat Columbia 31-0.  I guess none of the bigger schools in GA were available in 09.:rolleyes:  Shame on those Colorado schools for not pickin' a fair fight with some of our FL schools.:)

Ga is a power state with plenty of talent 

Colorado isn't a very good football state and outside of a few teams they would get pummeled by any Top 25 FL team