Ref assignments for playoffs?

skyway

The officials are assigned to games and schools that they have not usually seen in the regular season. Most officials travel to different areas for High School Football playoff games. For instance, the Officials Association from Daytona Beach might travel to Jacksonville, and the Officials  Association from Orlando might travel to Brevard County and vice versa. This is very little familiarity between officials and coaches and players in most, if not all, playoff games.

18 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

The officials are assigned to games and schools that they have not usually seen in the regular season. Most officials travel to different areas for High School Football playoff games. For instance, the Officials Association from Daytona Beach might travel to Jacksonville, and the Officials  Association from Orlando might travel to Brevard County and vice versa. This is very little familiarity between officials and coaches and players in most, if not all, playoff games.

You are 100% correct. No referee or official has any skin in the games that they work. They probably have little interest in which team wins or loses. Too many people still believe that the refs make calls against teams because of a bias for or against one of the two teams. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Refs are human and are usually not professionals. They do make non subjective calls to the best of their ability. I was at the Vanguard/Sebring game and I always sit in the opposing team's stands as I like to see how their fans react to the game. There was this family from Hell or so it seemed. Screaming vulgarities at the refs the entire game. I don't think one of them knew anything about football. And, I don't think the refs can hear anything from the stands anyway. Just made the entire stands uncomfortable and embarrassed themselves in the process. I loved it when Vanguard defeated them 35-7.

21 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

They base on how they can screw teams over where shooting are...

I was just curious about quality control. Of course these aren't full-time, professional refs. But, their can be a wide disparity in quality. You'd hope the better refs are the ones working this time of year.

5 hours ago, skyway said:

I was just curious about quality control. Of course these aren't full-time, professional refs. But, their can be a wide disparity in quality. You'd hope the better refs are the ones working this time of year.

Yes Skyway, the better officials are working this time of year, just like the better teams are playing the time of year.

6 hours ago, Proseteye said:

You are 100% correct. No referee or official has any skin in the games that they work. They probably have little interest in which team wins or loses. Too many people still believe that the refs make calls against teams because of a bias for or against one of the two teams. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Refs are human and are usually not professionals. They do make non subjective calls to the best of their ability. I was at the Vanguard/Sebring game and I always sit in the opposing team's stands as I like to see how their fans react to the game. There was this family from Hell or so it seemed. Screaming vulgarities at the refs the entire game. I don't think one of them knew anything about football. And, I don't think the refs can hear anything from the stands anyway. Just made the entire stands uncomfortable and embarrassed themselves in the process. I loved it when Vanguard defeated them 35-7.

Yes Proseteye, this is mostly correct. Getting people to understand that officials do not care who wins or loses a game, just like officials do not care to hear that one team has a lot more penalties than the other.  People who sit in the bleachers and shout at officials the entire game are cowards as far as I am concerned. If these people think that they would make better officials, by all means they should join and become an official themselves.  

Well, this is all good to hear. I will agree about fans bitching about officials. It's like politicians bitching about the media. A lot of it is just sour grapes over being called out for something they don't like.

But, I have seen some genuinely horrific calls made over the years. Calls made that simply do not even align with the rule book. Some that even helped my team, like last year when a WR completed a pass for 50+ yards to an offensive guard on a broken play that was allowed to stand. And of course the three downs crap with Columbia. It's one thing to have some subjective calls that are iffy. Some officials have better/different judgment than others, but that's the game of life. But blatant violations of the most basic rules of the game can't be a part of playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, skyway said:

Well, this is all good to hear. I will agree about fans bitching about officials. It's like politicians bitching about the media. A lot of it is just sour grapes over being called out for something they don't like.

But, I have seen some genuinely horrific calls made over the years. Calls made that simply do not even align with the rule book. Some that even helped my team, like last year when a WR completed a pass for 50+ yards to an offensive guard on a broken play that was allowed to stand. And of course the three downs crap with Columbia. It's one thing to have some subjective calls that are iffy. Some officials have better/different judgment than others, but that's the game of life. But blatant violations of the most basic rules of the game can't be a part of playoffs. 

Yeah. One this year.....a kickoff goes in the endzone and they don't blow it dead......forcing the return team to field it......resulting in a safety. I just wonder if it is lack of training or something else......but it's been bad.

4 minutes ago, skyway said:

I can forgive a questionable judgement call (like the 2pt conversion we had against Trinity back in September) 

That was a honest mistake 

But 2 things really boil my skin,  bias and incompetence 

Strike 1: Bias 

Earlier this year we played Bartram Trail in softball first round of playoffs and they had a jacksonville area officials association for the game and had numerous blown calls,  all of them favoring Bartram Trail, if it had been officials from Orlando for example i wouldn't have cared but the fact it was a Jacksonville area officials that makes the idea of bias very credible argument but then we come to this

Strike 2: it's one thing to have a judgement call but how in hell does the officials not know how to count and even the coaches pointed out the error,  every media personnel at the game had it right and even the coaches had it right but somehow the refs can't keep track of what down it is??

And I don't want to hear if you don't like what they doing then go become a official bull crap, they are refs for a playoff game that kind of mess up is not acceptable for a playoff game

A playoff game shouldn't be remembered for the officials, the fact it was is a embarrassment to the state and action needs to be taken

Btw they have a ref in the booth for play clock so why is it that there was no communication between the official in the booth with the reporters who could have pointed out the error and the officials on the ground level??

1 minute ago, gwdrum75 said:

Yeah. One this year.....a kickoff goes in the endzone and they don't blow it dead......forcing the return team to field it......resulting in a safety. I just wonder if it is lack of training or something else......but it's been bad.

Less officials and the state not funding proper training most likely

25 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

That too. That was a little bit harder to be certain of watching the webcast, but I remember the guys in the booth being amazed. In California, last week Corona Centennial ran a basic zone read, the QB keeped it, but the ref THOUGHT the back had it, back was tackled and the ref blew it dead. QB was long gone to the endzone before it was clearly blown dead. Dreadful!