Quantcast
Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
john taylor

pahokee football

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

They seem to change coaches on the muck every 3 seasons but always bring back the same assistants and if that happens again I see the problems continuing at both schools trying to get back to their dominant ways. 

That is somewhat true, but not completely. But, the major part of it that it is difficult to get outside Coaches due to the traveling part. Even though there are alot of Teachers that travel to the muck, getting them to stay after school to Coach is difficult

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a misconception about Coaches getting fired on the Muck. Many walk away instead of actually getting fired. The only Coach that was fired at Pahokee was Alphonso Smith and that was not football related. At Glades Central, 1 ignorant Principal fired 2 Coaches, just because he could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MuckCityChamp said:

There is also a misconception about Coaches getting fired on the Muck. Many walk away instead of actually getting fired. The only Coach that was fired at Pahokee was Alphonso Smith and that was not football related. At Glades Central, 1 ignorant Principal fired 2 Coaches, just because he could. 

Agree there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mashburns said:

So what will be different with this new staff? I also hear rumblings of Glade Central changing coaching staffs as well?

Glades Central has released a good portion of there Assistants already. As for Pahokee, Coach Walkes is still at the Head, but there are rumors that he will be released. The Assistants will depend on the next Coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, there are alot of Pahokee and Glades Central graduates that are having success at other schools. So homegrown isn't all that bad. The misses has been not having the right combination of guys. In Hester/s years, he just didn't have guys around him that could help him develop players on and off the field. Hester (during his 1st tenure) and Blackmon both had to deal with ignorant Administration. Casko and his assistants just wasn't a right fit. 

At Pahokee, Alphonso Smith had things going back in the right direction. But, he was dismissed. Walkes' staff just didn't mesh well on philosophy and discipline with the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

The thing is, there are alot of Pahokee and Glades Central graduates that are having success at other schools. So homegrown isn't all that bad. The misses has been not having the right combination of guys. In Hester/s years, he just didn't have guys around him that could help him develop players on and off the field. Hester (during his 1st tenure) and Blackmon both had to deal with ignorant Administration. Casko and his assistants just wasn't a right fit. 

At Pahokee, Alphonso Smith had things going back in the right direction. But, he was dismissed. Walkes' staff just didn't mesh well on philosophy and discipline with the team. 

So what will it take to get those graduates to come back and right the ship at both programs? Is that direction that the two programs want to go? Not sure but I assuming both staffs currently are Glades guys meaning they played their ball there and are from those communities? I could be wrong about Pahokee Head guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

So what will it take to get those graduates to come back and right the ship at both programs? Is that direction that the two programs want to go? Not sure but I assuming both staffs currently are Glades guys meaning they played their ball there and are from those communities? I could be wrong about Pahokee Head guy

I know a few that have mentioned wanting to comeback. At GC, its pretty much up to Hester on who he wants to bring. As of my knowledge, his DC, DB, OL, and RB coaches are out. Nobody really knows what he has in mind. Some think he will leave with his Assistants and because his Son is a Senior.  As for PK, if they make the change at Head Coach, the next guy will get to gather his group. If no change is made, It will be up to Walkes to redo his staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Hester had GC heading on the right track. Seems like they were a couple pieces away from being a dominant team again.

Pahokee however was a different story. I could be wrong, but I think Pahokee needs a staff that's not from the area. The city is so small  that, political hanky panky seems to run rampant. Outside coaches are usually more neutral in their decision making, and don't give to community pressure.

The coach from Wake Forest (Smith?) did appear to be doing a good job, but he had other issues.

Hopefully all the teams can get back, including Clewiston. I agree with @Mashburns... when the Glades teams are strong, it makes the entire county competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Muck has become a hard place to coach for a number of reasons:

1) small town bs politics. I had a buddy who applied for some jobs down there but he didn’t have the “right” resume. The dude coached at the D1 level and at a state championship winning program! But he wasn’t from around the there

2) lack of resources. Not only is the area poor but you aren’t around a lot of money like in the urban areas

3) tough administrations. It’s state championship or bust in 2 years, you can’t take the time to install your culture or anything...you gotta win immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jags904 said:

The Muck has become a hard place to coach for a number of reasons:

1) small town bs politics. I had a buddy who applied for some jobs down there but he didn’t have the “right” resume. The dude coached at the D1 level and at a state championship winning program! But he wasn’t from around the there

2) lack of resources. Not only is the area poor but you aren’t around a lot of money like in the urban areas

3) tough administrations. It’s state championship or bust in 2 years, you can’t take the time to install your culture or anything...you gotta win immediately.

All 3 are valid points and I think its just very tough to come in there as a outside coach and also get a staff in there that is not from the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jags904 said:

The Muck has become a hard place to coach for a number of reasons:

1) small town bs politics. I had a buddy who applied for some jobs down there but he didn’t have the “right” resume. The dude coached at the D1 level and at a state championship winning program! But he wasn’t from around the there

2) lack of resources. Not only is the area poor but you aren’t around a lot of money like in the urban areas

3) tough administrations. It’s state championship or bust in 2 years, you can’t take the time to install your culture or anything...you gotta win immediately.

These are the comments that give people false perceptions about the Muck area. Maybe your friend just didn’t interview well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Original1 said:

Looks like Hester had GC heading on the right track. Seems like they were a couple pieces away from being a dominant team again.

Pahokee however was a different story. I could be wrong, but I think Pahokee needs a staff that's not from the area. The city is so small  that, political hanky panky seems to run rampant. Outside coaches are usually more neutral in their decision making, and don't give to community pressure.

The coach from Wake Forest (Smith?) did appear to be doing a good job, but he had other issues.

Hopefully all the teams can get back, including Clewiston. I agree with @Mashburns... when the Glades teams are strong, it makes the entire county competitive.

Clewiston has rehired Pete Walker as HC. If they can get some of there talent back from Moore Haven and Glades Central, they may compete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

These are the comments that give people false perceptions about the Muck area. Maybe your friend just didn’t interview well. 

He has a valid point Glades Central last few hires been Muck guess

1. Hester (twice)

2. Willie Snead

3. Casko

4. R. Blackman 

Pahokee

1. Walkes

2. A. Smith

3. B. Thompson 

So do outside coaches have a chance at these jobs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

He has a valid point Glades Central last few hires been Muck guess

1. Hester (twice)

2. Willie Snead

3. Casko

4. R. Blackman 

Pahokee

1. Walkes

2. A. Smith

3. B. Thompson 

So do outside coaches have a chance at these jobs? 

I don’t know everyone that applied during those times. But, the outsiders that I do know that interviewed were only coming to build a resume. Everyone named above was long term inspired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • Windermere only been around 3 seasons football 3-26 overall best season 2018 2-7 boys basketball  2019-20 19-8 ranked 38 in state won district title 2018-19 27-5 lost in state semis ranked 8 in the state girls basketball 2019-20 19-5 ranked 40 in state won district 2018-19 21-6 ranked 49 in state lost in second round Volleyball   2019 26-3 ranked 24 in state lost in state semi's 2018 18-7 lost in first round Baseball 2019 24-5 ranked 51 in state lost in 3rd round Softball 2019 20-6 ranked 84 in state lost in first round Girls Soccer 2019-20 15-3-2 ranked 52 in state lost in second round 2018-19 11-4-3 lost in first round Boys Soccer 2019-20 7-5-3 under achieved 2018-19 16-3-1 ranked 40 in state lost in second round Boys Lacrosse 2019 13-3 ranked 44 in state won district  Track 2019 Girls 5th in state              
    • A Solid program would be Columbia (several years straight years of being district champs) with little advancement beyond that (maybe 2nd round), but obviously a solid program, but Columbia does not fit the original question as their football is good, the softball team has won a state championship within the last 10 years, baseball is solid, and basketball has been winning (and until recently) not advancing.  As for the original question, I asked for teams that excel in one or two sports, but stink in everything else. A better local (for you) example would be Hamilton County and Boys Basketball with a .566 win percentage. Now, Hamilton isn't what they used to be the last two seasons, but definitely more consistent than Middleburg baseball or softball which has made the playoffs twice in the last and MaxPreps has no winning records for them during the time.  As suggested their girls basketball team has been very good for the past 4-5 years after years of being well below average.  2020: 8-16 2019: 11-18 * Playoff 2018: 16-13 * Playoff 2017: 16-10 * Playoff 2016: 21-6 * State Final Four 2015: 21-8 * Playoff 2014: 20-9 * State Runner-up 2013: 15-11 * Playoff 2012: 10-14 * Playoff 2011: 11-12  
    • I said they were solid because one, Middleburg is a very weak athletic program overall so when I compare how baseball did to their other sports they do look a lot better, funny that you usually bash me because I never give other teams credit but when I give a team credit for once you still complain, why did I not boost the right team for your ego?   And the other reason is despite Sharing a district with Columbia, Gainesville and Oakleaf for much of the decade they were able to hang with those teams in their better years and those 3 have been solid baseball programs up here in North Florida     Is Middleburg good on a state level? No   But they were a solid team in this area in terms of being able in several of those years (even when finishing below .500) to compete with other solid teams   Like in 2016 when they went into Gainesville after being winless in districts during the season and knocked off the 1 seed Gainesville in the district tournament, and yes I watched this game live 
    • So you are going to skip over the part where you said Middleburg baseball was solid for the past decade, when according to MaxPreps they have .456 win percentage over the time and once in 10 years did they make it past the first round of regionals? 
    • And before you try and put some lie out there    I have seen Middleburg play against teams not named Columbia!
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...