8:30 Start times

Hwy17

Just wondering how many on here remember when 8:30 start times was the norm? Might not be a bad ideal to bring them back seeing how half the season is in August and September, which is still the rainy season and many games are get weather delayed.    

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Just wondering how many on here remember when 8:30 start times was the norm? Might not be a bad ideal to bring them back seeing how half the season is in August and September, which is still the rainy season and many games are get weather delayed.    

I could deal with 8:30 for the first four weeks of the season including the KOC. It might reduce the number of rained out (lightening really) games.

After that, in large urban areas, it would not work for a number of reasons. So, I would then push it back an hour or an hour and a half. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I could deal with 8:30 for the first four weeks of the season including the KOC. It might reduce the number of rained out (lightening really) games.

After that, in large urban areas, it would not work for a number of reasons. So, I would then push it back an hour or an hour and a half. 

I get it would be a challenge in the metro areas.  Back when we started at 8:30 there were fewer schools than there are today and the season started later, usually end of September.  But it made for a way better experience. Fans didn't feel rushed to getting off work to get travel, attendance was better, it was cooler as  night was set in, and in the smaller towns usually there was some form of pregame activities that we just don't do anymore.  Although some games didn't end until close to midnight.  

I like the idea of August and September games having a later start time (8:00, 8:30).  Many times, that's about what time the games start anyway because of weather delays. 

But (and not to completely change the subject of this thread), I'm also the guy who thinks Florida ought to go rogue and switch football and basketball seasons . . .  play the indoor game when it's hot and stormy outside and then play the outdoor game when the weather in Florida is just right for football.   But, I'll save more on that for a later date. 

10 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I get it would be a challenge in the metro areas.  Back when we started at 8:30 there were fewer schools than there are today and the season started later, usually end of September.  But it made for a way better experience. Fans didn't feel rushed to getting off work to get travel, attendance was better,

1. Get the better experience since there would be less rush.

2. But regarding attendance, in metro areas it probably would be worse as the games would be competing with other nocturnal activities. 

Just now, Perspective said:

But (and not to completely change the subject of this thread), I'm also the guy who thinks Florida ought to go rogue and switch football and basketball seasons . . .  play the indoor game when it's hot and stormy outside and then play the outdoor game when the weather in Florida is just right for football.

I am in agreement with you. But it probably would never happen as it would affect football recruiting negatively vis a viz compared with other states to some degree, especially for the seniors that don't have a bunch of offers already approaching February (National signing day). 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am in agreement with you. But it probably would never happen as it would affect football recruiting negatively vis a viz compared with other states to some degree, especially for the seniors that don't have a bunch of offers already approaching February (National signing day). 

That is one of the downsides, but it could possibly be offset by the fact that college coaches (from teams whose seasons have ended or even from teams that are in bowl games) could actually attend the high school games without having to leave at the end of the first quarter to rush back for their own Saturday game.  They could even attend practices.  Same with basketball:  coaches could attend more games because their season will not have started yet. 

The other reason why some people wouldn't like it is because it would likely eliminate OOS games and, thus, the opportunity to compete for a mythical national championship. 

Not to get all melodramatic, but last week a kid from Tampa died during summer workouts.  I just saw on Twitter that the same thing just happened to another a 15-year kid in Louisiana.  Without opening up a political debate, the science behind global warming may ultimately lead the folks in charge of high school and youth sports to look more closely at when certain outdoor activities are taking place. 

17 hours ago, Perspective said:

That is one of the downsides, but it could possibly be offset by the fact that college coaches (from teams whose seasons have ended or even from teams that are in bowl games) could actually attend the high school games without having to leave at the end of the first quarter to rush back for their own Saturday game.  They could even attend practices.  Same with basketball:  coaches could attend more games because their season will not have started yet. 

The other reason why some people wouldn't like it is because it would likely eliminate OOS games and, thus, the opportunity to compete for a mythical national championship. 

Not to get all melodramatic, but last week a kid from Tampa died during summer workouts.  I just saw on Twitter that the same thing just happened to another a 15-year kid in Louisiana.  Without opening up a political debate, the science behind global warming may ultimately lead the folks in charge of high school and youth sports to look more closely at when certain outdoor activities are taking place. 

Its no hotter now than in past decades.  We are spoiled by air conditioning and less conditioned to being in the heat.

3 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Its no hotter now than in past decades.  We are spoiled by air conditioning and less conditioned to being in the heat.

I disagree. Orlando, year round, is a good deal hotter than when I moved here 29 years ago. I can now plant avocados, coconuts, papaya  and mangoes in my backyard without fear that I will lose them to the winter frost. In the short run, that's a good thing as I love all types of fresh fruit and veggies. In the long run, probably not so much ... but I am old, so I will be gone before the funk hits the fan ...

I wonder if they have thought about playing the games on Saturday or Sunday. Saturday or Sunday evenings would be good for all and would allow everyone to attend. Up north they have always played their games on Saturday at 2 PM. They still play very few night games in the north I believe. Of course playing games in Florida at 2 pm is not advised due to the heat so they would have to be later in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Games during the 70's and 80's for Manatee always started at 8:00pm, I believe it was in the 90's when the state started having re-occurring issues with Mosquitoes carrying encephalitis. The fear that playing games with night time starting times and playing later into the evening increased  potential exposure, that we started seeing earlier starting times as well as playing on Saturday in some instances. Also aren't there FHSAA rules regarding how late games are to be played.....particularly when games are delayed due to weather or have OT? Later starting would have an impact on this as well potentially...........................

43 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Games during the 70's and 80's for Manatee always started at 8:00pm, I believe it was in the 90's when the state started having re-occurring issues with Mosquitoes carrying encephalitis. The fear that playing games with night time starting times and playing later into the evening increased  potential exposure, that we started seeing earlier starting times as well as playing on Saturday in some instances. Also aren't there FHSAA rules regarding how late games are to be played.....particularly when games are delayed due to weather or have OT? Later starting would have an impact on this as well potentially...........................

Yep!  In 1990 there was an encephalitis scare and games got moved to late afternoon.  

As far as the rule on how late a game can start, IDK.  I do know that in every year we have weather delayed games, and some I know have started as late as 9 pm.