Quantcast
Jump to content

Glades Central Let Go Of Hester


Recommended Posts


I’m surprised he lasted this long. It’s state or bust at Glades Central (unrealistic expectations), and the Muck Bowl (Pahokee) loss didn’t help. 
This kinda mirrors FSU and Taggert. FSU was 6-6 in Jimbo’s last season and had to make up a D2 game to be bowl eligible. Fans think we’re the 90s Noles (which we aren’t) and the Miami loss was unacceptable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 561_Fan said:

I’m surprised he lasted this long. It’s state or bust at Glades Central (unrealistic expectations), and the Muck Bowl (Pahokee) loss didn’t help. 
This kinda mirrors FSU and Taggert. FSU was 6-6 in Jimbo’s last season and had to make up a D2 game to be bowl eligible. Fans think we’re the 90s Noles (which we aren’t) and the Miami loss was unacceptable. 

Isn’t that the same Hester during the kelvin Benjamin error when y’all was on that 34 game winning streak before losing @ Dillard then y’all fired him the end of the year ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Isn’t that the same Hester during the kelvin Benjamin error when y’all was on that 34 game winning streak before losing @ Dillard then y’all fired him the end of the year ?

This was his second stint at GC. You gotta remember, they fired a coach because he lost consecutive finals (to Cocoa). When most teams have never made it to one

Link to post
Share on other sites

The expectations out in the Glades is out dated, we are not living in the 90's where I feel those standards became the community expectations. In the 90's pretty much every parent made sure there child attended and graduated from Glades Central it didn't matter if they moved to West Palm or not they was making sure they went to Glades Central. Now you have kids from Belle Glade attending schools all over the County for example programs like Seminole Ridge , Dwyer, Royal Palm, Wellington, Atlantic, Palm Beach Central and Oxbridge when the school had a football program. They are not giving coaches the chance out in the Glades to build a program, they will fire you after year 2 if you are not competing for a state championship. Glades Central have a different coach every few years since Coach Watson and he was only there like 5 years and won like 3 or 4 state titles and went to the title game like 4 out of the 5 years he was coach.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Since 2000 

1. Bueno

2. Coffey

3. Snead

4. Hester

5. Blackman

6. Casko

7. Hester

8. ?

Why not just go independent if they (the alumni) wants a championship every year. 
 

tbh when we traveled to pahokee this year to play the blue devils I was shocked at just how rural the muck is ...with me being from south Florida & seeing McDonald’s checkers kfc rib joints wing joints clubs & etc on every corner I was amazed at just how almost abandoned it looked(no disrespect) not only is the city small but they have only 1 of everything or 1 of somethings and not at all for the rest. Pahokee & belle glade don’t even make up a 3rd of broward county. 
 

I’m sure jobs & everything there is at a EXTREME LOW!! So tbh I wouldn’t blame families for leaving for better opportunities and a better life; shoot I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches & most of the teachers there don’t stay probably in west palm or something and just drive to the muck for work. 
 

only thing I saw consistent out there was those big behind man eating misquotes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Why not just go independent if they (the alumni) wants a championship every year. 
 

tbh when we traveled to pahokee this year to play the blue devils I was shocked at just how rural the muck is ...with me being from south Florida & seeing McDonald’s checkers kfc rib joints wing joints clubs & etc on every corner I was amazed at just how almost abandoned it looked(no disrespect) not only is the city small but they have only 1 of everything or 1 of somethings and not at all for the rest. Pahokee & belle glade don’t even make up a 3rd of broward county. 
 

I’m sure jobs & everything there is at a EXTREME LOW!! So tbh I wouldn’t blame families for leaving for better opportunities and a better life; shoot I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches & most of the teachers there don’t stay probably in west palm or something and just drive to the muck for work. 
 

only thing I saw consistent out there was those big behind man eating misquotes. 

If they went independent the community will not support that, heck they wouldn't support if you loaded the schedule up with cupcakes that's not the expectations that is set out in the Glades. The community feels as though they should beat every team in West Palm by at least 21 points and to be honest a lot of the programs and players has caught up to the Glades most of it is consistency with those other programs. The coach from Atlantic that went 10-0 last season and loss first round would have been fired in Belle Glade. Park Vista Coach who won a lot of games over the years but no state title would have been fired years ago. Jack Daniels out at Dwyer with 20 plus years and two state titles would have been fired in Belle Glade just to name a few. It is very hard for the Administration at Glades Central to get outside help to come in and formulate at staff of guys all not being from the Glades, and that's not the community fault just most coaches not driving everyday and def. not moving out in the Glades to live permanently. All that being said it is still one of the top jobs in High School football in the country for someone who is willing to put up with the community expectations and don't mind living in the "Muck".    

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

If they went independent the community will not support that, heck they wouldn't support if you loaded the schedule up with cupcakes that's not the expectations that is set out in the Glades. The community feels as though they should beat every team in West Palm by at least 21 points and to be honest a lot of the programs and players has caught up to the Glades most of it is consistency with those other programs. The coach from Atlantic that went 10-0 last season and loss first round would have been fired in Belle Glade. Park Vista Coach who won a lot of games over the years but no state title would have been fired years ago. Jack Daniels out at Dwyer with 20 plus years and two state titles would have been fired in Belle Glade just to name a few. It is very hard for the Administration at Glades Central to get outside help to come in and formulate at staff of guys all not being from the Glades, and that's not the community fault just most coaches not driving everyday and def. not moving out in the Glades to live permanently. All that being said it is still one of the top jobs in High School football in the country for someone who is willing to put up with the community expectations and don't mind living in the "Muck".    

But what are U gaining tho instead of being able to say you coached at one of the most storied schools in south Florida ?? 
 

the alumni clearly doesn’t care about the students grades & self growth as young men into men all they care about is championships. 
 

it’s clear!! The administration and athletic department don’t have the last day so but the alumni which is backwards. The problem is slot of storied programs seem to fail because they keep tryna hire from within, someone who graduated and played at the school but that don’t mean they know the Xs & I’d Tho. 
 

sometimes the greatest coach you may come across to take you where u wanna go may have never even been to your school but yet they know how to coach & know that it takes. 
 

also it’s a PROCESS!! As you mentioned those schools up top ..things is just not gonna poor overnight in most cases. Your in a extremely limited city with limited access && limited resources so your expectations needs to be REALISTIC. As much as I respect the muck & their accomplishments they going about things BUTT BACKWARDS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem as mentioned above for why they look internally instead of externally is two-fold.

1) Alumni (there is a ________ way of doing things, (fill in name of school)). They want a person who knows the program inside and out. They want a person who "understands" what the football program means to the school and community. How can you possible know that if you didn't graduate from the school, if you didn't coach for 15 years at the school? They want someone from the good ole days, but the good ole days are in the past. The kids of today are different. More distractions, more things to do.

2) Community. Belle Glade and Pahokee are the definitions of rural poverty. They are communities that progress forgot in many ways. No major interstate to bring tourist business, no major businesses outside of Sugar Cane and Prisons. Both which are hard lives. What outsider wants to live there. From the Coral Sky Amphitheater (essentially Western West Palm Beach) to Glades Central High School is a 50 minute drive. Coaches can get the same pay at any one of the Palm Beach County high schools and drive 15 minutes. So why go out to Glades Central. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The problem as mentioned above for why they look internally instead of externally is two-fold.

1) Alumni (there is a ________ way of doing things, (fill in name of school)). They want a person who knows the program inside and out. They want a person who "understands" what the football program means to the school and community. How can you possible know that if you didn't graduate from the school, if you didn't coach for 15 years at the school? They want someone from the good ole days, but the good ole days are in the past. The kids of today are different. More distractions, more things to do.

2) Community. Belle Glade and Pahokee are the definitions of rural poverty. They are communities that progress forgot in many ways. No major interstate to bring tourist business, no major businesses outside of Sugar Cane and Prisons. Both which are hard lives. What outsider wants to live there. From the Coral Sky Amphitheater (essentially Western West Palm Beach) to Glades Central High School is a 50 minute drive. Coaches can get the same pay at any one of the Palm Beach County high schools and drive 15 minutes. So why go out to Glades Central. 

Exactly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

But what are U gaining tho instead of being able to say you coached at one of the most storied schools in south Florida ?? 
 

the alumni clearly doesn’t care about the students grades & self growth as young men into men all they care about is championships. 
 

it’s clear!! The administration and athletic department don’t have the last day so but the alumni which is backwards. The problem is slot of storied programs seem to fail because they keep tryna hire from within, someone who graduated and played at the school but that don’t mean they know the Xs & I’d Tho. 
 

sometimes the greatest coach you may come across to take you where u wanna go may have never even been to your school but yet they know how to coach & know that it takes. 
 

also it’s a PROCESS!! As you mentioned those schools up top ..things is just not gonna poor overnight in most cases. Your in a extremely limited city with limited access && limited resources so your expectations needs to be REALISTIC. As much as I respect the muck & their accomplishments they going about things BUTT BACKWARDS. 

Agree with everything you stated and to answer your question for the "Muck" its all about legacy they are offering, Coach Watson I don't know how great of a coach he was but they respect what he have done and in search for another Coach Watson since he stepped away 1999 I believe. But like you said what are you signing up for working in "Belle Glade" just to say you have won there? But the district will have to offer more for coaches not from the area to go out there and coach if you can get the same pay coaching in West Palm why will you go out there and put in those type of hours and a mountain of expectations and I mean I been to be honest I been to plenty of games in the "Muck" when my son played at Olympic Heights back in the day, that fan base can be brutal lol..to there own coaches and opposing coaches and fans.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The problem as mentioned above for why they look internally instead of externally is two-fold.

1) Alumni (there is a ________ way of doing things, (fill in name of school)). They want a person who knows the program inside and out. They want a person who "understands" what the football program means to the school and community. How can you possible know that if you didn't graduate from the school, if you didn't coach for 15 years at the school? They want someone from the good ole days, but the good ole days are in the past. The kids of today are different. More distractions, more things to do.

2) Community. Belle Glade and Pahokee are the definitions of rural poverty. They are communities that progress forgot in many ways. No major interstate to bring tourist business, no major businesses outside of Sugar Cane and Prisons. Both which are hard lives. What outsider wants to live there. From the Coral Sky Amphitheater (essentially Western West Palm Beach) to Glades Central High School is a 50 minute drive. Coaches can get the same pay at any one of the Palm Beach County high schools and drive 15 minutes. So why go out to Glades Central. 

Very accurate and I will not so much put Pahokee in the same category as Belle Glade when it comes to community tolerance with there football program. Pahokee list of coaches is much less than Belle Glade in a 20-25 year span.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Agree with everything you stated and to answer your question for the "Muck" its all about legacy they are offering, Coach Watson I don't know how great of a coach he was but they respect what he have done and in search for another Coach Watson since he stepped away 1999 I believe. But like you said what are you signing up for working in "Belle Glade" just to say you have won there? But the district will have to offer more for coaches not from the area to go out there and coach if you can get the same pay coaching in West Palm why will you go out there and put in those type of hours and a mountain of expectations and I mean I been to be honest I been to plenty of games in the "Muck" when my son played at Olympic Heights back in the day, that fan base can be brutal lol..to there own coaches and opposing coaches and fans.   

Trust me i know Which is crazy bro we played pahokee @ PK back in what sep on a monday after hurricane dorrian passed & their home crowd was pathetic. Like dang yall on support yall kids yall family yall school when yall winning.??

Like brooo its monday night in the muck what else is possibly going on that prohibited yall from supporting ??? They let dillard who had to travel almost a hour come & made it a home gsme for us. Not only did our fans travel abd droves & FILL up the away side on a monday and we had a game friday. But our cheerleaders & our band made the trip & turned up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

More recent Pahokee is starting to go through coaches. But Coach Smith was let go because of an allegation which was out the school hands but he had the program on track. The last coach Pahokee had I believe his name was Waltz I think program control was a issue with him getting suspended for like 5 games or so but he did win a state title that was taken away because of a ineligible player but before that Coach Thompson did more than 3 years there and Coach Foster had a good run as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Trust me i know Which is crazy bro we played pahokee @ PK back in what sep on a monday after hurricane dorrian passed & their home crowd was pathetic. Like dang yall on support yall kids yall family yall school when yall winning.??

Like brooo its monday night in the muck what else is possibly going on that prohibited yall from supporting ??? They let dillard who had to travel almost a hour come & made it a home gsme for us. Not only did our fans travel abd droves & FILL up the away side on a monday and we had a game friday. But our cheerleaders & our band made the trip & turned up.

Lol very similar to University Of Miami fans. You win they show up and you lose they don't which put tons of pressure on the administration to make changes because they will not show up. Now if you winning it can feel like a college town as well as a college experience at the games. That fan base travel when to school football program is successful, the state love when Glades Central and Pahokee make it to states because that day become a holiday in those communities.

"The Last One Turn The Lights Off"  is very accurate in those communities 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the "problems" for Pahokee and Glades Central is the mystique is gone. Every year, we see an article or short video on "The Muck" and how the Muck produced all of these great players (still does), but the days of Anquan Boldin are gone. In the past, the boys from the Muck were in better shape then most kids because they practiced, chased rabbits, worked the field, while these things allowed them to be in better shape, they weren't the advanced techniques. 

Today, teams practice, lift, and train year round. The days of rabbit hunting as an efficient training technique are gone. 

If you want to know why Glades Central has fallen, look to the Track program. Glades Central at the same time it was winning Football championships was winning Track championships. You would go out to Glades Central for a track meet there were 100 kids in Glades Central track uniforms, all running the 100, 200, 400, 110 HH, 400 Hurdles, Triple Jump, and Long Jumping. Nowadays, I don't think that is the case, or at leas they are producing the same depth in talent like they once did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

One of the "problems" for Pahokee and Glades Central is the mystique is gone. Every year, we see an article or short video on "The Muck" and how the Muck produced all of these great players (still does), but the days of Anquan Boldin are gone. In the past, the boys from the Muck were in better shape then most kids because they practiced, chased rabbits, worked the field, while these things allowed them to be in better shape, they weren't the advanced techniques. 

Today, teams practice, lift, and train year round. The days of rabbit hunting as an efficient training technique are gone. 

If you want to know why Glades Central has fallen, look to the Track program. Glades Central at the same time it was winning Football championships was winning Track championships. You would go out to Glades Central for a track meet there were 100 kids in Glades Central track uniforms, all running the 100, 200, 400, 110 HH, 400 Hurdles, Triple Jump, and Long Jumping. Nowadays, I don't think that is the case, or at leas they are producing the same depth in talent like they once did. 

Very true, as well as the size of some of those athletes in the 90's and early 2000 those were some big dudes on those teams they was beating teams off the school bus walking into the stadium. They had players as well that seem like all they do is lift year round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An idea that has been going around both communities, would be to combine the schools (Pahokee and Glades Central), not one I agree with, but I see the arguments for it. This way, the communities could pool their resources (schools, infrastructure, athletics, academics, etc) to one high school. A lot of families have moved away because of the lack of jobs, especially when the prison (Glades Correctional) closed down a few years back. Most people who live here, commute out and usually find something closer to their jobs. The only consistent jobs in the Glades are with the Sugar Industry and Palm Beach School District.

Pahokee is the same as it was 20 years ago. A lot of families have moved away, but a lot of Hispanic-Americans have moved in, but they don't participate in football at high rates. Walkes lost his job, because he lost control of the program. Smith lost his job because of the allegations (which I don't think were found to be true). We stuck with Blaze about 6 years and he had multiple seasons with under 5 wins. 

One thing I know about GC, is that you have about 2 seasons to win, or they will start the chant to get you out of there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Why not just go independent if they (the alumni) wants a championship every year. 
 

tbh when we traveled to pahokee this year to play the blue devils I was shocked at just how rural the muck is ...with me being from south Florida & seeing McDonald’s checkers kfc rib joints wing joints clubs & etc on every corner I was amazed at just how almost abandoned it looked(no disrespect) not only is the city small but they have only 1 of everything or 1 of somethings and not at all for the rest. Pahokee & belle glade don’t even make up a 3rd of broward county. 
 

I’m sure jobs & everything there is at a EXTREME LOW!! So tbh I wouldn’t blame families for leaving for better opportunities and a better life; shoot I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches & most of the teachers there don’t stay probably in west palm or something and just drive to the muck for work. 
 

only thing I saw consistent out there was those big behind man eating misquotes. 

Go independent lol man gone somewhere with that lol......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • This is an update to a thread I did prior to the 2019 season.  Six teams fell of the list since then, but the vast majority remain.  About 30 of the teams on the list opened in 2000-2010.  Not that I would be expecting them to win state titles, but the reality is that many of these programs have struggled to get traction.  Some who have managed to make the playoffs have gotten routinely blown out.  There is an argument to be made that new, large schools should not be automatically classified according to their population in order to allow the programs to get a taste of winning, which can help build interest amongst the fan base and pool of potential players.   
    • Madison county vs Niceville.  Who you got in 2019
    • Thank you for the wonderful post!  Many of the larger, new schools in the Metro areas have struggled over the past 25 years.  It makes no sense to start these schools off in the larger classifications.  They need time to get their feet on the ground.  Instead, "cultures of losing" develop in these programs and, as time passes, it becomes increasingly difficult to change that culture.  Sounds like you have been living it.     
    • Below is a list of schools, broken down by county, that have never won an FHSAA playoff game.  This is not an all-inclusive list.  I believe it does capture most schools currently in Class 3A and above. There are 32 schools from Central FL, 16 from South FL, and 7 from North FL.  After each school name, I have listed the year the school was founded, when known. 18 of the 55 schools are at least 25 years old.  Orange County has more than any other county in the state with 7 schools and Orange/Osceola combined has 11 of the schools.    Brevard County Cocoa Beach 1964    Space Coast 2001       Broward County Coral Springs 1975    Coral Springs Charter 1999       Monarch 2003        Citrus County Lecanto 1984      Clay County Keystone Heights 1965      Collier County Golden Gate 2004     Gulf Coast 1998      Palmetto Ridge 2005        Duval County Atlantic Coast 2010      Providence 1997      Flagler County Matanzas 2005        Hernando County Brooksville Central 1988    Weeki Wachee 2010        Highlands County Lake Placid      Hillsborough County Freedom 2002      Strawberry Crest 2009        Lee County East Lee County 2007      Ida S Baker 2004        Leon County Chiles 1999      St John Paul II 2001        Martin County Jensen Beach 2004        Miami-Dade County Braddock 1989    Ferguson 2003      Reagan 2006    Southwest 1956    Varela 2000      Westland 2007      Orange County Colonial 1958   Cypress Creek 1992        East River 2009      Freedom 2003      Lake Nona 2009      Ocoee 2005      Windermere 2017       Osceola County Celebration 2003      Gateway 1986    Liberty 2007        Poinciana 1991      Palm Beach County Boynton Beach 2001    Spanish River 1983       Pasco County Anclote 2009      Fivay 2010       Wesley Chapel 1999        Pinellas Osceola 1981      Polk County Lake Region 1995      Tenoroc 2008        Putnam Interlachen 1968      St Lucie County Port St Lucie 1989      Sarasota North Port 2001      Seminole County Hagerty 2005       Volusia Deltona 1988    Pine Ridge 1994      University 2010    
    • I would think they would. The John Carroll Catholic/Trinity Catholic game was streamed on You Tube for free. However, NFHS Network will be streaming it on their platform. They charge $10.99 per month. Not much more than a stadium ticket price.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...