FHSAA Meeting Scheduled - No Livestreaming

HornetFan

FHSAA
No livestream for the next fall sports meeting
Orlando Sentinel Article (8/8/2020) By Buddy Collings
The Florida High School Athletic Association had an audience of more than 4,000 YouTube viewers on July 20 as its board of directors took on an array of coronavirus concerns and tried to pick a palatable start date for football and other fall sports.
It was much the same three days later, with another avalanche of real-time social media commentary as the embattled board held another meeting via Zoom and YouTube. That digital discussion saw the board vote to push preseason starts back a month from July 27 to no earlier than Aug. 24.
Round 3 is set for Friday, Aug. 14. It will be the board’s third emergency meeting, but this time the 16-person panel will meet face-to-face in Gainesville and the stands will be nearly empty as the FHSAA hosts an in-person meeting for the first time since the COVID-19 outbreak halted high school sports in mid-March.
There will be no FHSAA livestream available and an association official said only 50 people, including board members and staff, will be allowed into the meeting ballroom due to Alachua County social-distancing restrictions. That has sparked heavy criticism as the FHSAA’s 700-plus member schools await the fate of fall sports seasons.
“I was very disappointed to learn that we were not live-streaming this meeting,” FHSAA board President Lauren Otero, a Tampa Plant High assistant principal, said in a phone interview with the Orlando Sentinel on Friday. “The impact that the decisions we are making have on our students and our schools across the state is so important to so many. Given the fact that the two prior meetings were broadcast it didn’t dawn on me that this one would not be.”
Otero said she emailed FHSAA executive director George Tomyn on Thursday asking for the meeting to be streamed to the public in some manner.
“Mr. Tomyn told me there would be no broadcast,” Otero said.
The meeting is set for 10 a.m. at the Best Western Gateway Grand. That hotel is close to association headquarters and has been used regularly for larger FHSAA events, including Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
Media outlets are complaining loudly about lack of access. Some have suggested the FHSAA will not be following Florida Sunshine Law guidelines because few media members will be granted entry and others will not be able to hear the proceedings.
“I’m not trying to avoid anything,” Tomyn told the Sentinel on Friday. “This is how we decided to do things because this is the customary arrangement for our meetings. Social-distancing requirements mean we cannot accommodate as many people, but this is our standard meeting procedure. We’re an athletic association, not a broadcasting company.”
The FHSAA is not a government entity, but it has long stated that it abides by Florida Sunshine Law standards, which mandate that all meetings of state, county or municipal agencies be open to the public. An association bylaws states, “All FHSAA meetings are conducted in compliance with the Florida Sunshine Law.”
Tomyn said the FHSAA will not be in violation.
“We do follow the Sunshine Laws. I’ve talked to our attorney, Leonard Ireland, at length and we feel very comfortable that we continue to follow the requirements,” Tomyn said. “There has to be availability for public input. We are providing for that.”
The FHSAA has an email address, questions@fhsaa.org , set up for anyone who wants to offer suggestions or ask questions. Those must be received prior to 8 a.m. on Aug. 14 to be shared with all board members for consideration. Its Friday announcement stated individuals who wish to speak to the board can attend the meeting and sign up on site prior to the start of the meeting.
Tomyn said those who attend will likely be allowed into the ballroom for several minutes to make statements, then will go back out to allow room for the next guest.
Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, the FHSAA held directors’ meetings five times per year, without webcasts, in its board room. Those meetings were open to the public with opportunities for guests to address the board.
Tomyn said full minutes will be taken and the meeting will be audio-taped by the FHSAA, as is the norm. But those transcripts are typically not made immediately available to media or others.
The meeting was initiated by Citrus County School Board member Doug Dodd, who submitted a motion that asked the FHSAA board to reconvene in person by Aug. 17. His measure, which passed by an 11-4 vote, was designed to give FHSAA staff time to confer with the fall sports advisory committees and prepare return-to-play options for the board to consider.
FHSAA administrators held online meetings last week with the athletic directors committee and coaches committees for football, girls volleyball, cross country, golf and swimming. Each committee was presented a document that listed three options, one of which would delay fall practices until Nov. 30 and shift postseason play for those sports into January and February. Another would keep Aug. 24 as time for fall sports tryouts and a third is built around starting in September or later.
The board could choose to approve one of those plans or consider others.
Buddy Collings can be reached by email at bcollings@orlandosentinel.com .

I've said it before and will say again any reference to either political side will be removed or moved to OT 

I left the primary post up because it is very relevant discussion for the football season but the preceding comments were removed for political references which aren't allowed on the huddle side of the board

Sorry @VeniceIndiansFootball your post didn't break any rules however I had to remove it because it quoted a post that did and leaving the post up would have made no sense after removing the quoted portion

Also as for the topic at hand I'm not gonna pretend I know the right decision but I do know this, option 3 would do more damage than good to the entire athletic calendar and even though people say that football pays for every sport, I challenge any atheltic director in the state of Florida to show me proof of how much football income really gets shared with the other sports because I doubt it's as much as people are led to believe 

Why can't sports be about more than winning? Why is it so important than there are county/district/regional/state championships? Aren't sports supposed to be a continuation of the classroom where character and leadership are being learned and developed? Yes, play to win, but if the season is delayed they can still develop those other qualities that we hope coaches instill in our young athletes. Those coaches can do that in 8 games or 15 games. 

The best coaches/teachers take events of the past 5 months and use to develop better human beings and citizens. How many more of our players are more keenly aware of how a virus is spread than they were 5 months ago. How many coaches have talked to their players about responsibility of government actors (Federal, State, and Local) as well as responsibility that as a player they have to their community at large? Honestly, whatever option is chosen, the FHSAA should simply just cancel the state series If they choose option 3 (spring football season), I don't understand why there can't be sport season overlap.

I will admit as I was more optimistic about what would be happening by August/September despite what some on this board thought. The entire process could have been handled better, not just by our leaders, but as a society. I was reading a quote from a college football coach who took all-star teams to Japan for exhibitions and the coach asked someone why so many people were wearing masks. They responded with they do it for civility, if someone has a cold, they wear a mask to protect their neighbors. The reality is that we as Americans focus on the individual more than society. It is why we play our bass and speakers at god awful loud amounts when driving through quiet neighborhoods. It is why we the hell that is Black Friday (now Black Thanksgiving). It is why we see people willing to transfer to 4 schools in 4 years for more stardom (forget the teammates you leave behind). 

Honestly, I don't care what the FHSAA chooses. The reality is that I won't be going to football this year, I don't trust the local yokels to do right. If anything, this event has shown a lot about people and the sacrifices they are and are not willing to make. 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I've said it before and will say again any reference to either political side will be removed or moved to OT 

I left the primary post up because it is very relevant discussion for the football season but the preceding comments were removed for political references which aren't allowed on the huddle side of the board

Sorry @VeniceIndiansFootball your post didn't break any rules however I had to remove it because it quoted a post that did and leaving the post up would have made no sense after removing the quoted portion

Also as for the topic at hand I'm not gonna pretend I know the right decision but I do know this, option 3 would do more damage than good to the entire athletic calendar and even though people say that football pays for every sport, I challenge any atheltic director in the state of Florida to show me proof of how much football income really gets shared with the other sports because I doubt it's as much as people are led to believe 

wait, you're an admin here? lol

The comment was directly related to the topic at hand and its implications. Sometimes, "politics" is synonymous with real life. 

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

wait, you're an admin here? lol

The comment was directly related to the topic at hand and its implications. Sometimes, "politics" is synonymous with real life. 

Me being a admin here is the most logical decision

I'm one of the most active members and have a direct line to the website owner

As for the line that politics is synonymous with real life, that don't mean that every single place discussing sports has to turn into red vs blue 

Ik that many political leaders on both sides are insecure and need all the attention talking about them every minute but that's not how things are run here, this is a football board

This ain't rivals where political posts have overrun the board to the point it no longer feels like a football board and this ain't prep gridiron where rules are never enforced 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Why can't sports be about more than winning? Why is it so important than there are county/district/regional/state championships? Aren't sports supposed to be a continuation of the classroom where character and leadership are being learned and developed? Yes, play to win, but if the season is delayed they can still develop those other qualities that we hope coaches instill in our young athletes. Those coaches can do that in 8 games or 15 games. 

The best coaches/teachers take events of the past 5 months and use to develop better human beings and citizens. How many more of our players are more keenly aware of how a virus is spread than they were 5 months ago. How many coaches have talked to their players about responsibility of government actors (Federal, State, and Local) as well as responsibility that as a player they have to their community at large? Honestly, whatever option is chosen, the FHSAA should simply just cancel the state series If they choose option 3 (spring football season), I don't understand why there can't be sport season overlap.

I will admit as I was more optimistic about what would be happening by August/September despite what some on this board thought. The entire process could have been handled better, not just by our leaders, but as a society. I was reading a quote from a college football coach who took all-star teams to Japan for exhibitions and the coach asked someone why so many people were wearing masks. They responded with they do it for civility, if someone has a cold, they wear a mask to protect their neighbors. The reality is that we as Americans focus on the individual more than society. It is why we play our bass and speakers at god awful loud amounts when driving through quiet neighborhoods. It is why we the hell that is Black Friday (now Black Thanksgiving). It is why we see people willing to transfer to 4 schools in 4 years for more stardom (forget the teammates you leave behind). 

Honestly, I don't care what the FHSAA chooses. The reality is that I won't be going to football this year, I don't trust the local yokels to do right. If anything, this event has shown a lot about people and the sacrifices they are and are not willing to make. 

The reason they don't want overlap is because small schools complained that it would leave their spring sports lacking a roster because many small schools rely on multi sport athletes but honestly I think considering how spring athletes this past spring got screwed out of their senior years I'm not gonna feel sorry because someone doesn't get to play BOTH sports

At least they would likely still get a senior season in something, considering some spring athletes weren't so lucky last spring when the virus infections weren't close to as bad as they are right now and spring sports could have done social distancing much easier than football could

The schools will definitely be opening full time August 24th. That means hundreds if not thousands of students and teachers together for 8 hours daily 5 days a week inside buildings. Football teams are together about 2 hours a day for practice and about 4 hours on Friday all outside. Have no idea how it was decided that there should be restrictions put on the teams like how many games they play, etc considering that football players are probably the most fit students in the school. And, why is it that a few hundred fans cannot attend the games for a max of 4 hours outside yet students can be together for many hours during the week inside? Are there medical professionals making these rules or is it just some bureaucrats trying to protect their backsides. Aren't masks, social distancing, and washing your hands ever 3 minutes enough for these people? How about we all wear HazMat suits to the games with OBA's. Would that be enough? Can anyone imagine a football game with no fans or nobody in the stands? Pure nonsense IMO. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

The schools will definitely be opening full time August 24th. That means hundreds if not thousands of students and teachers together for 8 hours daily 5 days a week inside buildings. Football teams are together about 2 hours a day for practice and about 4 hours on Friday all outside. Have no idea how it was decided that there should be restrictions put on the teams like how many games they play, etc considering that football players are probably the most fit students in the school. And, why is it that a few hundred fans cannot attend the games for a max of 4 hours outside yet students can be together for many hours during the week inside? Are there medical professionals making these rules or is it just some bureaucrats trying to protect their backsides. Aren't masks, social distancing, and washing your hands ever 3 minutes enough for these people? How about we all wear HazMat suits to the games with OBA's. Would that be enough? Can anyone imagine a football game with no fans or nobody in the stands? Pure nonsense IMO. :ph34r:

Several counties have already stated it would be online only for classes and  many more will be a blend of online and on campus by parent choice

Also in this Current stage having postseason/fans in stands Should be the least of concerns, just playing any form of a season Should be the priority, you aren't gonna see a normal season and it's laughable to even try pushing for a state series when as of the moment 4-8a currently has no Championship site 

And while it would seem social distancing and masks would help in a school the problem is many counties won't enforce it

That's been the problem this whole pandemic, nobody wanted to make any sacrifices or inconveniences to get rid of the virus but then wonder why other countries are on the back end of the virus and America is still dead center in the hotspot of it

The selfishness of many people out there and their refusal to even make any changes to their lives is why football is in jeopardy right now like the spring sports were but then again many people didn't care about the spring athletes because I didn't forget the comments of "well they will move on and get over it, time to prepare for football" but boy has the attitude changed with football

Let me ask you this, if this was any sport but football would the state be willing to potentially screw over winter and spring sports just to have a season? Because I don't think so. Football is gonna get special treatment just because it makes more money, it ain't about the athletes it's all about the $$$$$ 

I've also seen people asking for extended eligibility for football athletes if the season don't happen, LMAO funny how they were same people bashing the idea when it came to the spring athletes 

18 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I can't speak for other schools but our football program gets none of the concession, none of the parking and none of the ticket sales.  It all goes into an athletic fund that gets spent on all sports for necessary equipment (balls), refs and travel. The only thing football gets from the school is footballs, refs, travel and reconditioning.  They have to raise money for every thing else just like every other sport.

5 minutes ago, badbird said:

I can't speak for other schools but our football program gets none of the concession, none of the parking and none of the ticket sales.  It all goes into an athletic fund that gets spent on all sports for necessary equipment (balls), refs and travel. The only thing football gets from the school is footballs, refs, travel and reconditioning.  They have to raise money for every thing else just like every other sport.

Sounds like all this money from sports just goes into a "mythical" atheltic fund and we don't truly know how much money gets shared with anyone

I think I've heard people up here say the same thing but I would be interested to truly see where all the money goes, especially at schools that are usually good at fan attendance 

5 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I don't understand why we can't have a modified season with no post season; run it from late September to early December.  Each school district decide if they want in or cancel altogether.  

That I think would be in line with option 2 however too many people are bound and determined to have a state series which is insane 

Again I feel like a broken record but if every county can't play (especially if SFL can't) it feels hollow to have a state championship that won't involve the best teams in the state plus 4-8a still has no Championship site 

I would be fine with no postseason this year as it would basically mean there's no reason to hold any part of the state hostage as they just let teams join if they can and play however many games they are able to 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That I think would be in line with option 2 however too many people are bound and determined to have a state series which is insane 

Again I feel like a broken record but if every county can't play (especially if SFL can't) it feels hollow to have a state championship that won't involve the best teams in the state plus 4-8a still has no Championship site 

I would be fine with no postseason this year as it would basically mean there's no reason to hold any part of the state hostage as they just let teams join if they can and play however many games they are able to 

Like I said in a prior post, form independent conferences and award a trophy and if possible maybe a bowl game at season end.  It's been talked about and makes most sense. 

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

Like I said in a prior post, form independent conferences and award a trophy and if possible maybe a bowl game at season end.  It's been talked about and makes most sense. 

I agree but some people are too stubborn to accept a state series this year is unrealistic and unfortunately those people are the ones in charge of where the state goes from here

They will not hesitate to screw over spring athletes a second straight year just to get the state series and honestly I hope every county pulls out of the FHSAA as their poor leadership over past 2 months has been appalling

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

some of them are still in the lock down mode. I won't argue with you about what is right or wrong about this lock down as I know the forum does not want political discussions. But, this country did go into a severe lock down for weeks and now months. Some countries like Sweden never shutdown anything and they had fewer deaths than countries that did shutdown. By the way, the US actually has the third lowest amount of deaths "per capita" in the world from Covid-19  at 0.0045%. Just because the US has more total deaths is not a relevant measurement. Except for China and India we have more population 330 million than any other country.

I'm not as familiar with Sweden or other countries so I can't speculate on what made things easier for them but I do know that one thing that led to the outbreak being worse in America was the fact that many people refused to take even basic precautions or inconveniences to slow the spread and fought it at every turn 

The Independence that makes America what it is also made the spread get out of control 

I'm not as familiar with Sweden or other countries so I can't speculate on what made things easier for them but I do know that one thing that led to the outbreak being worse in America was the fact that many people refused to take even basic precautions or inconveniences to slow the spread and fought it at every turn 

The Independence that makes America what it is also made the spread get out of control 

Look, you seem to be stuck on a broken record. The government statistics are that so far 160,000 people have supposedly died from Covid-19. Per capita the US has the third lowest deaths in the world. That tricky mathematical formula per capita somehow escapes some of the so called experts that have in their mind that the US has the most deaths of any country. Just look it up. 160,000 divided by 330 million is 0.0045%. the 3rd lowest percentage of deaths in the world "PER CAPITA". I guess we must have been doing something right to have those low statistics. Those stats are even lower than the annual flu that comes around every year like clockwork. But, nobody wants to face up to facts and statistics. Too boring I guess.

4 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Look, you seem to be stuck on a broken record. The government statistics are that so far 160,000 people have supposedly died from Covid-19. Per capita the US has the third lowest deaths in the world. That tricky mathematical formula per capita somehow escapes some of the so called experts that have in their mind that the US has the most deaths of any country. Just look it up. 160,000 divided by 330 million is 0.0045%. the 3rd lowest percentage of deaths in the world "PER CAPITA". I guess we must have been doing something right to have those low statistics. Those stats are even lower than the annual flu that comes around every year like clockwork. But, nobody wants to face up to facts and statistics. Too boring I guess.

Not only that, but a large number has been in places like nursing homes where the population is high risk.  I know no one who has contracted Covid19 simply living their day to day life. I for one am always out in public. I haven't been sick.  The one person I know who did get Covid19 works at a nursing home. While some of the patients there have been bad sick, to her, an otherwise healthy person, it was nothing but a bad head cold that lasted 2 weeks. She treated herself with over the counter medications and now tested negative.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Let me ask you this, if this was any sport but football would the state be willing to potentially screw over winter and spring sports just to have a season? Because I don't think so. Football is gonna get special treatment just because it makes more money, it ain't about the athletes it's all about the $$$$$ 

I've also seen people asking for extended eligibility for football athletes if the season don't happen, LMAO funny how they were same people bashing the idea when it came to the spring athletes 

I don't think any other HS sport can be compared to football, not basketball, baseball or any other. You can't get a thousand people out on a Friday night to watch any other HS sport but football. Freshmen and JV often draw a hundred or more fans on a Thursday night. Football holds a special place in high school; there's no Homecoming Dance after a soccer or baseball game. For the fans and the students, it's not about the money; it's tradition; it's the social event every Friday night in the Fall; it's Homecoming. For the players, it's their passion. They work year round to be ready to perform at their best during the football season. For many players, it's their ticket to a college education. For administrators and coaches, it may be about money, but for the kids, it's love of the sport.

12 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I don't think any other HS sport can be compared to football, not basketball, baseball or any other. You can't get a thousand people out on a Friday night to watch any other HS sport but football. Freshmen and JV often draw a hundred or more fans on a Thursday night. Football holds a special place in high school; there's no Homecoming Dance after a soccer or baseball game. For the fans and the students, it's not about the money; it's tradition; it's the social event every Friday night in the Fall; it's Homecoming. For the players, it's their passion. They work year round to be ready to perform at their best during the football season. For many players, it's their ticket to a college education. For administrators and coaches, it may be about money, but for the kids, it's love of the sport.

I used to think the same way but honestly after the last few years at Columbia I don't feel that way anymore

I started realizing the "tradition" is nothing more than a ploy to sell tickets and that no matter how much you try to help a program the people at the top will turn on you the first chance they get 

Maybe I would enjoy the game more if my surroundings and recent experience wasn't so negative but to me tradition is what you make it to be

55 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Sounds like all this money from sports just goes into a "mythical" atheltic fund and we don't truly know how much money gets shared with anyone

I think I've heard people up here say the same thing but I would be interested to truly see where all the money goes, especially at schools that are usually good at fan attendance 

I know :D

Lots of sports lose money and guess who pays for them.  

Sports that lose money at our school - Cross Country, Bowling, swimming, golf, girls basketball, weightlifting, track, tennis  

Sports that make a little or break even - Soccer, Lacrosse, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball

Sport that makes a lot - football

48 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The other day, the Orlando Sentinel mentioned a phone call that took place this past week where the three options for Fall sports were discussed. They said there were 15 people on the call; I don't know their official capacity, but they were supposed to represent various regions of the state. Seven preferred Option 1, play football in the Fall; the other 8 opted for Option 3, play an abbreviated season in the Spring. It didn't say where each person was from, but I imagine the 8 that voted for option 3 were from the areas most effected by the virus outbreaks.

19 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The other day, the Orlando Sentinel mentioned a phone call that took place this past week where the three options for Fall sports were discussed. They said there were 15 people on the call; I don't know their official capacity, but they were supposed to represent various regions of the state. Seven preferred Option 1, play football in the Fall; the other 8 opted for Option 3, play an abbreviated season in the Spring. It didn't say where each person was from, but I imagine the 8 that voted for option 3 were from the areas most effected by the virus outbreaks.

Honestly I wouldn't be as opposed to allowing spring football but why should Spring sports get a shortened season as a result

Just play them cocurrently

Honestly I wouldn't be as opposed to allowing spring football but why should Spring sports get a shortened season as a result

Just play them cocurrently

The problem I have with delaying the start of football beyond late Fall is that we could end up with another Spring that results in no sports. These kids train year round for the Fall football season. I would rather see them start the season in the Fall and if it drags into late Winter, so be it. At least they would have their season and the opportunity for many to earn a chance to go to college on a football scholarship. If they wait for Spring and adults once again put themselves before the kids, it will be another lost senior class. In 5 years it will be just a bad memory for adults that has passed, but they'll continue with their professions and heir lives. The kids won't get back their senior year of high school and the memories that were stolen from them. To not even try to give these kids that last year in high school is blatantly unfair, especially when the adults are erroneously using the kid's well being as an excuse for the adults to continue to stay home. 

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

The problem I have with delaying the start of football beyond late Fall is that we could end up with another Spring that results in no sports. These kids train year round for the Fall football season. I would rather see them start the season in the Fall and if it drags into late Winter, so be it. At least they would have their season and the opportunity for many to earn a chance to go to college on a football scholarship. If they wait for Spring and adults once again put themselves before the kids, it will be another lost senior class. In 5 years it will be just a bad memory for adults that has passed, but they'll continue with their professions and heir lives. The kids won't get back their senior year of high school and the memories that were stolen from them. To not even try to give these kids that last year in high school is blatantly unfair, especially when the adults are erroneously using the kid's well being as an excuse for the adults to continue to stay home. 

Everything you are saying is what I felt months ago with spring sports 

I just don't think we should screw over the spring athletes by shortening their season just to get football, these other sports have athletes fighting for a college scholarship as well, it isn't just football players being affected by this 

Everything you are saying is what I felt months ago with spring sports 

I just don't think we should screw over the spring athletes by shortening their season just to get football, these other sports have athletes fighting for a college scholarship as well, it isn't just football players being affected by this 

I would never want them to cancel a single sport or shorten a season for any team. Every student athlete should be able to compete in the sport of their choice, especially if it may lead to a scholarship opportunity. If they had a conflict because they played multiple sports, they would probably have to choose. I don't want to ever give the impression that I would play football and deny another sport the opportunity to play their season. I'm sure the powers that be could find a way to allow them to survive concurrently.