Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I still have covid.  Covid already defeated Lakeland and Olympia so I won 2 games week 1.  I'm sure more than that but I've been busy trying to get our season to start with all these rules and guidelines.  Anyway I'll declare myself the champ at the end no matter what.   Stay safe guys and I hope we make it to the end.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, badbird said:

I still have covid.  Covid already defeated Lakeland and Olympia so I won 2 games week 1.  I'm sure more than that but I've been busy trying to get our season to start with all these rules and guidelines.  Anyway I'll declare myself the champ at the end no matter what.   Stay safe guys and I hope we make it to the end.  

Covid is a formidable opponent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Covid is a formidable opponent. 

Mostly for those who are above the age of 65 with existing co-morbidity conditions (about 80% of all deaths attributed to Covid-19  in the US as of 9/2/2020). Other than those deaths, the pandemic hasn't come close to the annual death toll taken each year in the US by influenza (35,000) and automobile accidents (40,000), yet many people still won't get flu shots or call for schools to close down for the flu, and we still continue to drive our cars every day. Why isn't the media broadcasting those figures? Simple, it doesn't suit their agenda for 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Mostly for those who are above the age of 65 with existing co-morbidity conditions (about 80% of all deaths attributed to Covid-19  in the US as of 9/2/2020). Other than those deaths, the pandemic hasn't come close to the annual death toll taken each year in the US by influenza (35,000) and automobile accidents (40,000), yet many people still won't get flu shots or call for schools to close down for the flu, and we still continue to drive our cars every day. Why isn't the media broadcasting those figures? Simple, it doesn't suit their agenda for 2020.

Yep, it is risky driving.  But I can do many things to lower my odds of being in a vehicular accident because I have a fairly clear understanding of the factors that raise the odds of one.  Once I park my car in the driveway, the risk is over for me and my family, unlike with contagions.  

Influenza, like Covid, kills a good number of elderly people.  If all of a sudden we experienced a huge spike in influenza-related deaths, I feel certain it would be getting a lot of press.  Right or wrong, many people likely feel they understand the risks of influenza...unlike with Covid, where even the "experts" can't seem to agree.

Death is not the only measure of risk.  We do not understand the long-term risks of young adults who contract Covid.  It may not kill them, but could it cause long-term effects.  I have no idea.  If you do, please let me know where you got your degree in immunology.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Yep, it is risky driving.  But I can do many things to lower my odds of being in a vehicular accident because I have a fairly clear understanding of the factors that raise the odds of one.  Once I park my car in the driveway, the risk is over for me and my family, unlike with contagions.  

Influenza, like Covid, kills a good number of elderly people.  If all of a sudden we experienced a huge spike in influenza-related deaths, I feel certain it would be getting a lot of press.  Right or wrong, many people likely feel they understand the risks of influenza...unlike with Covid, where even the "experts" can't seem to agree.

Death is not the only measure of risk.  We do not understand the long-term risks of young adults who contract Covid.  It may not kill them, but could it cause long-term effects.  I have no idea.  If you do, please let me know where you got your degree in immunology.

 

 

This!!

 

This is what I mean, the reason the flu doesn't cause shutdown is because we have vaccines and antibiotics designed to fight the flu and while some people die we have a plan for treating it

 

As soon as we have a better success treating Covid it will be treated like a stronger flu strand but right now we have barely scratched the surface of the Covid 19 virus so I understand the decision to be cautious and people only look at the death numbers, so if someone lives but has to spend months on a ventilator before dying of a massive heart attack is that considered fine by people because people refuse to wear masks in public and want things to be fully reopen?

 

I just don't understand it but personally I'm tired trying to explain this to people because at this point people either see the risks or they don't, this Covid thing has exposed a lot of issues in society but I'm gonna stay quiet on that so I don't get in trouble LMAO

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Yep, it is risky driving.  But I can do many things to lower my odds of being in a vehicular accident because I have a fairly clear understanding of the factors that raise the odds of one.  Once I park my car in the driveway, the risk is over for me and my family, unlike with contagions.  

Influenza, like Covid, kills a good number of elderly people.  If all of a sudden we experienced a huge spike in influenza-related deaths, I feel certain it would be getting a lot of press.  Right or wrong, many people likely feel they understand the risks of influenza...unlike with Covid, where even the "experts" can't seem to agree.

Death is not the only measure of risk.  We do not understand the long-term risks of young adults who contract Covid.  It may not kill them, but could it cause long-term effects.  I have no idea.  If you do, please let me know where you got your degree in immunology.

 

 

But I can do many things to lower my odds of being in a vehicular accident because I have a fairly clear understanding of the factors that raise the odds of one.

You don't have control over any other drivers on the road. You cannot anticipate a driver coming from the other direction swerving into your lane, or a driver running a red light, or a vehicle going out of control on an interstate. just a few examples. You can drive defensively, just like you can social distance and wear a mask, but you can't control the actions of others.

If all of a sudden we experienced a huge spike in influenza-related deaths, I feel certain it would be getting a lot of press.  Right or wrong, many people likely feel they understand the risks of influenza

On average, the flu kills 30,000 -40,000 Americans each year, many of them younger victims than the Covid-19 virus; does the media think that is an acceptable level that doesn't need to be addressed. A large percentage of the US population chooses not to be vaccinated against the flu; I expect they will make the same choice about the Covid-19 vaccine. 

Death is not the only measure of risk.

Death is the ultimate measure. There are long term effects for almost every disease in the world; we don't close down the economy, the schools, and out lives because there is a small chance that a very small percentage of people may have long term effects from a disease. As to a degree in immunology, I don't claim one, but I'm not the guy telling the world to shut down. We didn't do it with AIDS, Swine Flu, Polio, or any other disease in my 75 years. Then again, it was never political before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • Bartram Trail  Apopka Miami Palmetto Osceola Niceville Edgewater Bloomingdale STA Columbia Gaither Palmetto Central Rikards Vanguard Jesuit American Heritage Bolles Cardinal Gibbons Trinity Christian Chaninade Madonna University Christian Champagnat Catholic  Baker Madison County (Jesse’s favorite )   
    • CLASS 8A REGIONAL FINALS REGION 1 Bartram Trail (10-1) at Seminole (Sanford) (9-0) REGION 2 Lake Mary (8-2) at Apopka (7-3), 7 REGION 3 Miami Palmetto (5-1) at Vero Beach (8-2) REGION 4 Osceola (Kissimmee) (7-2) at Newsome (7-2) CLASS 7A REGIONAL FINALS REGION 1 Niceville (10-0) at Fleming Island (9-2), 7 REGION 2 Mitchell (11-1) at Edgewater (6-2) REGION 3 Bloomingdale (11-0) at Tampa Bay Tech (8-3) REGION 4 Venice (10-3) at St. Thomas Aquinas (5-1) CLASS 6A REGIONAL FINALS REGION 1 St. Augustine (9-2) at Columbia (5-5) REGION 2 Gaither (11-0) at Lake Minneola (9-1) REGION 3 Lake Gibson (11-1) at Palmetto (8-3) REGION 4 Miami Central (5-1) at Dunbar (8-2) CLASS 5A REGIONAL FINALS REGION 1 Rickards (7-1) vs. Baker County (9-2) at Memorial Stadium REGION 2 Dunnellon (9-0) vs. Vanguard (8-1) at Booster Stadium REGION 3 Jones (9-0) at Jesuit (12-0) REGION 4 American Heritage (Plantation) (8-2) at Eau Gallie (7-1) CLASS 4A STATE SEMIFINALS NORTH Gadsden County (6-1) at Bolles (9-2) SOUTH Cardinal Gibbons (6-1) at Cocoa (9-0) CLASS 3A STATE SEMIFINALS NORTH Trinity Christian (Jacksonville) (10-1) at Trinity Catholic (7-3), 7 SOUTH Chaminade-Madonna (7-1) at Berkeley Prep (7-1) CLASS 2A STATE SEMIFINALS NORTH Foundation Academy (9-1) at University Christian (7-4) SOUTH Champagnat Catholic (9-2) at Seffner Christian (8-4) CLASS 1A STATE SEMIFINALS NORTH Sneads (9-2) at Baker (11-0), 7:30 CT SOUTH Madison County (10-2) vs. Hawthorne (9-2) at Annie Mae Phillips Stadium
    • HornetFan, first of all that official is not a "ref' he is the line judge. Secondly, I don't know how you could make a determination that the official was making up for a missed call a few plays earlier unless you have some kind of mind reading powers that no one else possess. Thirdly, no Referee who is worth a darn is going to overrule any other official when it comes to player safety. Like I said, the onus is on the defender to be able to hold up, and not commit that kind of foul. That is the way that the game is going to be officiated now, and it is not going back.  
    • Perspective, I think that it would be best for me not to make judgments on fouls or calls from NFL or College Football. As far as the when the play being dead, when it is clear that if a ball is not going to be caught/possessed , the onus is on the defender not make the sort of contact that was made in that video.  Player Safety is always paramount when High School Football is involved, and the FHSAA will always back that up. If there was no foul on that dead-ball hit, the Vero Beach Head Coach could send that clip to the FHSAA demanding clarification, and he would be right to do that. 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...