Tru Prep Academy @ IMG

Proseteye

This should be a very interesting game to say the least. Tru Prep is an enigma. A small private school in Miami playing it's first season of football. Is 5-1 and has defeated some good teams like Champagnat Catholic,  Monsignor Pace, and Atlantic. Played St. Thomas Aquinas close losing 25-13. Over 40 of their players and a few coaches are transfers from University School, Ft Lauderdale, after University School shut down football for the season due to the virus. A few University players had D-1 commits including their QB. This game will be shown live this Friday at 7:30 PM on ESPNU and will be streamed on You Tube.

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Tru Prep is a bogus school. In effect it is the University High Football team. I suppose it is fitting that it plays another bogus school, IMG. 

God Bless America!

They sound like a pretty creative bunch of kids and coaches that didn't want to see their football season fall victim to the Covid virus. 

53 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

They sound like a pretty creative bunch of kids and coaches that didn't want to see their football season fall victim to the Covid virus. 

They could have found other schools competing in the playoffs to go to. It just seems to me that the purpose of a school should be, well, learning for all aspects of life. If you want to go to a sports academy and you have the resources, well, have at it. But I just have a problem with setting up a new school for the unexpressed purpose of fielding a football team. 

17 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They could have found other schools competing in the playoffs to go to. It just seems to me that the purpose of a school should be, well, learning for all aspects of life. If you want to go to a sports academy and you have the resources, well, have at it. But I just have a problem with setting up a new school for the unexpressed purpose of fielding a football team. 

Are they playing as an independent? If only the football players left for the "new" school, they could have joined the playoffs in 1A; that would have made Jesse's year as they put a running clock on Madison County early in the 3rd quarter.

By the way, Tru-Prep is an all boys school similar to Bolles and Jesuit and they are in their 2nd year of existence. The school is owned by the previous football coach of University School. However, I don't really think that the school was set up just to field a football team. If that was the case they would have done it last year when they first started. Just my opinion.

It's a little confusing to me. 

There is a school in Miami by the name of True North Classical Academy.  It shows up in the FHSAA classifications as an "Independent" and on MaxPreps as a "Freelance."  For what it's worth, that's the same way IMG shows up (classified as "Independent" on the FHSAA site and as "Freelance" on the MaxPreps site). 

MaxPreps also reflects that there is a school in Miami Gardens by the name of "TRU Prep Academy," who is shown as a "Freelance" school.    This appears to be the team playing IMG this week.  However, this school does not show up on the FHSAA website under Football > Classifications . . . not even among the Independent schools.   That would lead me to conclude that they are not currently a member of the FHSAA  . . .  which makes me wonder how FHSAA teams in the state of Florida have been able to play them. 

I'm not throwing any mud; just confused. 

16 minutes ago, Perspective said:

It's a little confusing to me. 

There is a school in Miami by the name of True North Classical Academy.  It shows up in the FHSAA classifications as an "Independent" and on MaxPreps as a "Freelance."  For what it's worth, that's the same way IMG shows up (classified as "Independent" on the FHSAA site and as "Freelance" on the MaxPreps site). 

MaxPreps also reflects that there is a school in Miami Gardens by the name of "TRU Prep Academy," who is shown as a "Freelance" school.    This appears to be the team playing IMG this week.  However, this school does not show up on the FHSAA website under Football > Classifications . . . not even among the Independent schools.   That would lead me to conclude that they are not currently a member of the FHSAA  . . .  which makes me wonder how FHSAA teams in the state of Florida have been able to play them. 

I'm not throwing any mud; just confused. 

True North is a Public Charter School whereas Tru-Prep is a private school. Both out of Miami. Not related. May be that this is the first year that Tru-Prep is playing football and has not yet made application to be in the FHSAA. IMG obviously plays non FHSAA schools most of the time as they play all over the country and teams from Canada.

59 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

True North is a Public Charter School whereas Tru-Prep is a private school. Both out of Miami. Not related. May be that this is the first year that Tru-Prep is playing football and has not yet made application to be in the FHSAA. IMG obviously plays non FHSAA schools most of the time as they play all over the country and teams from Canada.

Proset, my understanding has always been this:

If a member of the FHSAA wants to play a team in Florida, that team also has to be a member of the FHSAA. 

If a member of the FHSAA wants to play a team in or from another state, that team has to be sanctioned in that other state.  That's how, for example, IMG (or Central, or Northwest or Armwood) can play an out-of-state game or host an out-of-state team.  

But, I wasn't aware that a team which is a member of the FHSAA could play an in-state game against a team who is not a member.   So, either the rules of the game have changed or I never knew what the rules were (distinct possibility). 

43 minutes ago, Perspective said:

If a member of the FHSAA wants to play a team in Florida, that team also has to be a member of the FHSAA. 

If a member of the FHSAA wants to play a team in or from another state, that team has to be sanctioned in that other state.  That's how, for example, IMG (or Central, or Northwest or Armwood) can play an out-of-state game or host an out-of-state team.  

But, I wasn't aware that a team which is a member of the FHSAA could play an in-state game against a team who is not a member.   So, either the rules of the game have changed or I never knew what the rules were (distinct possibility). 

But, after further review, Tru-Prep is a member of the FHSAA. They are in the same classification as IMG which is Freelance. Freelance teams play a regular season schedule but are just are not eligible for the playoffs. 

Since they gave St. Thomas a run for their money and buried Monsignor Pace, Champagnat, and Atlantic, I am hoping for a competitive game against IMG. 

18 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

But, after further review, Tru-Prep is a member of the FHSAA. They are in the same classification as IMG which is Freelance. Freelance teams play a regular season schedule but are just are not eligible for the playoffs. 

Since they gave St. Thomas a run for their money and buried Monsignor Pace, Champagnat, and Atlantic, I am hoping for a competitive game against IMG. 

Proset, see my post from earlier today.   "Freelance" seems to be a term that is used by MaxPreps.   I don't see it used by the FHSAA.  In fact, if you type in the word "freelance" in the search function of the FHSAA website, nothing comes up.  Nada.  The term that the FHSAA uses for members that are not assigned to a specific classification is "Independent."  If you look at the classifications for football, you'll see all the member schools listed.  Most are assigned to a Classification (including a region and a district).   The rest are shown at the end of the list (on page 4) as "Independents."  That's where I would expect to see a school like TRU Prep.  But I don't.   I'm not in a position to tell you that you're wrong; for all I know, TRU Prep is a member and someone simply forgot to add their name to the list.   But . . .

I also looked for TRU Prep in the FHSAA Directory.  Here's a "copy and paste" of a section of the directory where certain member schools are listed:

Trinity Christian (Deltona) (Section 2)
Trinity Christian (Jacksonville) (Section 1)
Trinity Christian (Lake Worth) (Section 4)
Trinity Preparatory (Winter Park) (Section 2)
True North (Miami) (Section 4)
Umatilla (Section 2)
Union County (Lake Butler) (Section 1)
Universal Academy (Tampa) (Section 3)

Again, I don't see TRU Prep listed where common sense suggests they should be (i.e., right after True North and right before Umatilla).  

So, I'm going to throw the red flag and ask that this be reviewed by the folks in New York.    :D

21 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Proset, see my post from earlier today.   "Freelance" seems to be a term that is used by MaxPreps.   I don't see it used by the FHSAA.  In fact, if you type in the word "freelance" in the search function of the FHSAA website, nothing comes up.  Nada.  The term that the FHSAA uses for members that are not assigned to a specific classification is "Independent."  If you look at the classifications for football, you'll see all the member schools listed.  Most are assigned to a Classification (including a region and a district).   The rest are shown at the end of the list (on page 4) as "Independents."  That's where I would expect to see a school like TRU Prep.  But I don't.   I'm not in a position to tell you that you're wrong; for all I know, TRU Prep is a member and someone simply forgot to add their name to the list.   But . . .

I also looked for TRU Prep in the FHSAA Directory.  Here's a "copy and paste" of a section of the directory where certain member schools are listed:

Trinity Christian (Deltona) (Section 2)
Trinity Christian (Jacksonville) (Section 1)
Trinity Christian (Lake Worth) (Section 4)
Trinity Preparatory (Winter Park) (Section 2)
True North (Miami) (Section 4)
Umatilla (Section 2)
Union County (Lake Butler) (Section 1)
Universal Academy (Tampa) (Section 3)

Again, I don't see TRU Prep listed where common sense suggests they should be (i.e., right after True North and right before Umatilla).  

So, I'm going to throw the red flag and ask that this be reviewed by the folks in New York.    :D

You will notice that IMG is classified as Independent by FHSAA. But Maxpreps has them classified as Freelance. I would believe if Maxpreps has Tru-Prep classified as Freelance then the only place they could have gotten that information from is the FHSAA. I don't believe that Maxpreps classifies any HS football team that is not in the FHSAA organization. Just my thought as I am not an expert on the FHSAA. Also, I don't think that IMG would be playing a team from Florida that is not a member of the FHSAA and risk losing their status.

41 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

You will notice that IMG is classified as Independent by FHSAA. But Maxpreps has them classified as Freelance. I would believe if Maxpreps has Tru-Prep classified as Freelance then the only place they could have gotten that information from is the FHSAA. I don't believe that Maxpreps classifies any HS football team that is not in the FHSAA organization. Just my thought as I am not an expert on the FHSAA. Also, I don't think that IMG would be playing a team from Florida that is not a member of the FHSAA and risk losing their status.

My belief is that MaxPreps uses the term "Freelance" for any team that is not assigned to a specific classification/region/district.   It's a term that MaxPreps can use as a catch-all for all 50 states.   This includes so-called "Independent" teams (like IMG and many others in Florida) and teams that are not officially part of the governing body for high school sports in a particular state.  Just my belief. 

My other belief is that now that they are where they are, IMG doesn't give two shirts (without the "r") about the FHSAA.   IMG needed them at the beginning, but probably doesn't need them now.   Again, just my belief. 

I'd email the FHSAA and ask them, but they only respond when they have an answer that they're comfortable with. 

35 minutes ago, Perspective said:

My belief is that MaxPreps uses the term "Freelance" for any team that is not assigned to a specific classification/region/district.   It's a term that MaxPreps can use as a catch-all for all 50 states.   This includes so-called "Independent" teams (like IMG and many others in Florida) and teams that are not officially part of the governing body for high school sports in a particular state.  Just my belief. 

My other belief is that now that they are where they are, IMG doesn't give two shirts (without the "r") about the FHSAA.   IMG needed them at the beginning, but probably doesn't need them now.   Again, just my belief. 

I'd email the FHSAA and ask them, but they only respond when they have an answer that they're comfortable with. 

I don't concern myself with the governing bodies of anything unless it impacts me personally. I'll just be looking forward to watching this team and IMG to go at it Friday evening at IMG stadium as I think it will be competitive with the amount of talent that Tru-Prep has on their roster. Have to watch it on TV or my Roku. Will also be watching my team the Celtics on NFHS Network as they play an away game against Taylor. Stopped going to the games as soon as they required Hazmat equipment to watch in person. "Ain't" doing that for any reason.

5 hours ago, Proseteye said:

By the way, Tru-Prep is an all boys school similar to Bolles and Jesuit and they are in their 2nd year of existence. The school is owned by the previous football coach of University School. However, I don't really think that the school was set up just to field a football team. If that was the case they would have done it last year when they first started. Just my opinion.

Bolles isn't an all boys school

Maybe you meant to say Columbus

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Clearwater academy as well as superior collegiate are not FHSAA member schools but still can play teams in Florida

FHSAA isn't as strict as say Texas or California when it comes to allowing teams to play teams from outside the FHSAA, normally the rule for playoff eligible teams is at least 60% of their schedule against Florida teams but that probably was waived for this year 

So, as oft is the case, the answer can be found in the FHSAA Handbook.   Section 8.3.1. allows FHSAA members to compete in athletic competitions with any other member or with non-members in state, so long as 7 requirements are met (things like proof of insurance, eligibility requirements for kids at non-FHSAA school, etc.).   If you want to see the whole thing, here's the link: 

https://fhsaa.com/documents/2020/10/1//2021_handbook_website_1001.pdf?id=292

48 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So, as oft is the case, the answer can be found in the FHSAA Handbook.   Section 8.3.1. allows FHSAA members to compete in athletic competitions with any other member or with non-members in state, so long as 7 requirements are met (things like proof of insurance, eligibility requirements for kids at non-FHSAA school, etc.).   If you want to see the whole thing, here's the link: 

https://fhsaa.com/documents/2020/10/1//2021_handbook_website_1001.pdf?id=292

What would yall do if hillard beat madison county.