FLA TOP 10

Floridatech

Steve Ricks,

You're a curious fella! In this thread you rank Chaminade #10.  Yet, 2 hours ago in the thread http://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1180-preseason-top-25-small-classes-1a-4a/

You rank CCC over Chaminade. 

If CCC and Chaminade play in the final 4, you're covered- you've essentially picked them both to be in Orlando vs JaxTCA :-)

Steve Ricks,

You're a curious fella! In this thread you rank Chaminade #10. Yet, 2 hours ago in the thread http://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1180-preseason-top-25-small-classes-1a-4a/

You rank CCC over Chaminade.

If CCC and Chaminade play in the final 4, you're covered- you've essentially picked them both to be in Orlando vs JaxTCA :-)

lol my bad I didn't even realize my mistake their, I do like chaminade over CCC though if they meet in the final 4

Right now, I have CCC 35, Chaminade 31 if it happens. I'm giving CCC the nod since it would be played in Clearwater, plus they have a huge edge in playoff experience. A lot of football to be played before that one, and I think the injury report (especially with Chaminde playing IMG week 11) will play a role in the outcome. That said, I really hope that game happens- I think it would be a great thing for 3A this year and an instant classic. But, I would also salivate at a American Heritage (Delray) vs Chaminade game. I think AHD, with their transfers (especially Noah Curtis and the RB that just came in) and the return of Alec Sincfield and Cameron Smith make them a very formidable, battle tested team.

Can't wait for the season!

Right now, I have CCC 35, Chaminade 31 if it happens. I'm giving CCC the nod since it would be played in Clearwater, plus they have a huge edge in playoff experience. A lot of football to be played before that one, and I think the injury report (especially with Chaminde playing IMG week 11) will play a role in the outcome. That said, I really hope that game happens- I think it would be a great thing for 3A this year and an instant classic. But, I would also salivate at a American Heritage (Delray) vs Chaminade game. I think AHD, with their transfers (especially Noah Curtis and the RB that just came in) and the return of Alec Sincfield and Cameron Smith make them a very formidable, battle tested team.

Can't wait for the season!

I can't wait either, going to be another exciting season that's for sure

As a coach that has lost a couple of players to IMG I can tell you that the Florida kids that go to IMG are not concerned with winning a championship.  They are going there to be in a collegiate atmosphere whole still in school.  They go to school 4 hours a day.  Dedicate the rest to their craft.  They even have them take classes on mental toughness and preparedness.  IMG is a factory, if you can afford the 67k, awesome.  If you can earn a scholarship, awesome.  They can not recruit every kid in Florida, so I can live with the few they do steal, and they do not pretend to be anything other than what they are.

Coach, I have to differ with your take on IMG, in some respects. First off, I don't think there is any more "stealing" going on with IMG than is going on with some of the powerhouse privates like STA, TCA, and CCC. Nor some of the "stealing" that is going on to build public school juggernauts like Manatee, Armwood, Mainland, and a few others. Players are "choosing" to transfer from a public school to a private school, with a considerable monetary loss might I add. I would bet that IMG has gotten far fewer players by "stealing' from other teams than some of those schools I have mentioned. Also, HS aged kids are all the same. They want their football team to win. IMG played us a couple of times and their players were just as enthusiastic about winning as our players were. I don't think that the professional aspect of it all really sinks in until they are Freshman in college regardless of what they are being put through in the IMG HS. I would, however, not want to be a HS football coach only to have my key players desert the team sometime in late summer after I worked my behind off to train them. Coach, this is a parent problem and not necessarily a kid problem. Parents allow this to go on and in fact encourage it in many instances. You certainly don't build character by allowing your son to HS shop when they become dissatisfied with their current situation. My son attended private school from K-3. I didn't, just up and decide, in his Sophomore or Junior year to have him transfer to this private school "for academic" purposes. Considering that most HS football players will never see a college football field, except on TV, and most college football players will either drop out of college or will never be good enough for the NFL. You have more chance buying your football playing son a lottery ticket than having him compete on the college or NFL level.  

IMG just doesn't impress me as the "best team in the nation" let alone the state of Florida.  There, I said it.   I'm not saying that they're not good, nor am saying they don't have top talent,  but look at their schedule and the teams they ran the score up on:  Miramar 5-5,  DeSoto, TX 6-6; Cocoa 10-3, Bergen Catholic, NJ 7-4; St. Joseph, NJ 8-4, Southern Lab, LA 10-3, Paramus Catholic, NJ 3-6,  Eastern Christian, MD 3-6.    So of the two Florida schools, Miramar was average for 2015 and Cocoa, while good, keep in mind is a 4a school. Makes me wonder how IMG would have fared against Booker T. Washington? Those out of state schools are not the top teams in their respective states.   The way I see it, I think they could find better competition here in Florida than those schools they played.  IMG only played one top team in Florida, AHP, and they lost that one!  I can't help but think that Charlotte, Manatee, Venice, Braden River, Armwood, Tampa Jesuit, Plant City, Lakeland, Hallendale, Wakula, Miami Central or STA, and probably some others that are worthy of mention, wouldn't have been better competition for them than those they did play. 

Coach, I have to differ with your take on IMG, in some respects. First off, I don't think there is any more "stealing" going on with IMG than is going on with some of the powerhouse privates like STA, TCA, and CCC. Nor some of the "stealing" that is going on to build public school juggernauts like Manatee, Armwood, Mainland, and a few others. Players are "chosing" to transfer from a public school to a private school, with a considerable monetary loss might I add. I would bet that IMG has gotten far fewer players by "stealing' from other teams than some of those schools I have mentioned. Also, HS aged kids are all the same. They want their football team to win. IMG played us a couple of times and their players were just as enthusiastic about winning as our players were. I don't think that the professional aspect of it all really sinks in until they are Freshman in college regardless of what they are being put through in the IMG HS. I would, however, not want to be a HS football coach only to have my key players desert the team sometime in late summer after I worked my behind off to train them. Coach, this is a parent problem and not necessarily a kid problem. Parents allow this to go on and in fact encourage it in many instances. You certainly don't build character by allowing your son to HS shop when they become dissatisfied with their current situation. My son attended private school from K-3. I didn't, just up and decide, in his Sophomore or Junior year to have him transfer to this private school "for academic" purposes. Considering that most HS football players will never see a college football field, except on TV, and most college football players will either drop out of college or will never be good enough for the NFL. You have more chance buying your football playing son a lottery ticket than having him compete on the college or NFL level.  

A little of this I can agree on Proseteye but would you consider it a "parent problem" if I as a parent encouraged my kid to play at IMG for NCAA exposure purposes?  Suppose I live in a rural town in Ohio and am just getting by on my salary.  My son is a great asset to his HS football team in his Junior year but he just does not have the best of ncaa offers as of yet. ...However there is a scholarship opportunity at IMG.  I tell my son the pros and cons of the scenario and in the end we mutually decide that a potential guaranteed savings of 150K over the next 5  years with an almost guaranteed NCAA scholarship.  He moves to IMG and gets a full scholarship to a say Pac-10 school.  Is that "building bad character" or taking advantage of a great opportunity for my kids future?

Forget the NFL scenario, I am just sticking to an almost guaranteed full scholarship to a great university.

As far as the kids playing at IMG now and getting to the NFL . I will go out on a limb and say this....I would be willing to bet that if you are good enough to start at a school like IMG at the varsity level that you have beyond a 10% chance (barring injuries) to sign a NFL contract - at least make an NFL roster.  My point is ...significantly better odds than a lottery ticket.

Nationwide..yes the odds of the NFL are astronomical.  In Florida, I know you don't want to hear this but they are greatly reduced.  You could probably find a possible future NFL player on every FL state championship team 3A-8A barring injuries.  Between 2015 TCA, BTW, STA, Miami Central and Flanagan I bet you get at least 6! 

On another note.  You are correct with IMG.  I dont think they were that physical (relatively speaking)  and several better Defenses than IMG in Florida!

Nfl is hard, Columbia has had 2 in last 3 years but last time we had one was 05 draft and our 98 team had 3 future nfl players but we are a special case, most schools are lucky to get 1 in 15-20 year period, most settle for college player and don't try for nfl

Right...that's Columbia High school.  Do you want me to start putting out some numbers from SFL schools.  You could build an NFL team of 60+ with Palm Beach , Broward and Dade players currently in the NFL - FACT.

The odds of making the NFL for FL High School players are largely reduced versus the rest of the nation.  Broward and Dade county even more so.  IMG even more so!

Sorry to play the Devil's Advocate here guys but it is what it is...

IMG just doesn't impress me as the "best team in the nation" let alone the state of Florida. There, I said it. I'm not saying that they're not good, nor am saying they don't have top talent, but look at their schedule and the teams they ran the score up on: Miramar 5-5, DeSoto, TX 6-6; Cocoa 10-3, Bergen Catholic, NJ 7-4; St. Joseph, NJ 8-4, Southern Lab, LA 10-3, Paramus Catholic, NJ 3-6, Eastern Christian, MD 3-6. So of the two Florida schools, Miramar was average for 2015 and Cocoa, while good, keep in mind is a 4a school. Makes me wonder how IMG would have fared against Booker T. Washington? Those out of state schools are not the top teams in their respective states. The way I see it, I think they could find better competition here in Florida than those schools they played. IMG only played one top team in Florida, AHP, and they lost that one! I can't help but think that Charlotte, Manatee, Venice, Braden River, Armwood, Tampa Jesuit, Plant City, Lakeland, Hallendale, Wakula, Miami Central or STA, and probably some others that are worthy of mention, wouldn't have been better competition for them than those they did play.

their is a reason why IMG doesn't play Central, STA or BTW. They tried to work something out with Central before they got their current schedule set and said the date that Central wanted to play at just wasn't anywhere near a agreement and they have been trying since their existence to schedule the other 2 but it always seems to fall thru the roof. and as far as Braden river or even Manatee, IMG has already agreed with the Manatee county athletic director to not schedule or recruit anybody from Manatee county

their is a reason why IMG doesn't play Central, STA or BTW. They tried to work something out with Central before they got their current schedule set and said the date that Central wanted to play at just wasn't anywhere near a agreement and they have been trying since their existence to schedule the other 2 but it always seems to fall thru the roof. and as far as Braden river or even Manatee, IMG has already agreed with the Manatee county athletic director to not schedule or recruit anybody from Manatee county

IMG supposedly backed out versus Flanagan last year as well - as did AHP...

Since 94 we have had 8 drafted and one sign as undrafted player, even though those don't compare to south Florida it might be best factory in the north but then again point was it's not easy to get to nfl and even the top factories only have a very small percentage that play nfl

Over 100+ NFL players from Palm Beach , Broward and Dade in the last 5 years signed NFL rosters.  That is an average of over 20 a year!  So if the there are about 75 high schools down here averaging about 40 players a team , you are looking at about 3,000 kids playing Varsity in SFL.  If 20 of those kids sign an NFL contract you are looking at 1 of every 150 kids.  Not lottery like numbers.

IMG supposedly backed out versus Flanagan last year as well - as did AHP...

wow I didn't hear about that or know anything about it but I did hear that IMG wanted their rematch with AHP down their this year but AHP wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe it's because IMG has 5 five star guys and atleast 15 4 stars or even more to make them back out idk lol

wow I didn't hear about that or know anything about it but I did hear that IMG wanted their rematch with AHP down their this year but AHP wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe it's because IMG has 5 five star guys and atleast 15 4 stars or even more to make them back out idk lol

Interesting...considering AHP plays BTW, @ Colquit County and Don Bosco ( 3 National Champions in the last 5 years) in a early season 2 week time frame.

If you gave 2015 IMG - STA, Flanagan, AHP, and Miami Central late season last year they probably struggle to win three of those games.  They were whining about the physicality of AHP to the refs on their own field in a pre-season game.  Solution = hit back harder!  Watch the game online for yourself and you will see right from the get go the physicality bothered IMG. 

I can also tell you that 2015 AHP was not as physical of what Flanagan, STA and Miami Central would bring defensively.  Honestly , I think when some of these kids move down here from say Indiana or Ohio it takes a few games of adjusting to the speed, and violent physicality the elite FL teams. Even though IMG is more talented but there is a shell shock factor for possibly the newer players adjusting from Indiana football... 

Interesting...considering AHP plays BTW, @ Colquit County and Don Bosco ( 3 National Champions in the last 5 years) in a early season 2 week time frame.

If you gave 2015 IMG - STA, Flanagan, AHP, and Miami Central late season last year they probably struggle to win three of those games. They were whining about the physicality of AHP to the refs on their own field in a pre-season game. Solution = hit back harder! Watch the game online for yourself and you will see right from the get go the physicality bothered IMG.

I can also tell you that 2015 AHP was not as physical of what Flanagan, STA and Miami Central would bring defensively. Honestly , I think when some of these kids move down here from say Indiana or Ohio it takes a few games of adjusting to the speed, and violent physicality the elite FL teams. Even though IMG is more talented but there is a shell shock factor for possibly the newer players adjusting from Indiana football...

I agree I think it takes those players some time to adjust to FLA football and I was at the game against AHP last year and seen it were IMG was whining to the refs about the physicality of AHP, but they do that to just about every home game refs when it's a good team that matches up well with them which was very rare in the regular season last season. AHP was by far the most physical team they played, they matched the IMG size which is very rare for a team to do and matched them in every other part of the game as well

I agree I think it takes those players some time to adjust to FLA football and I was at the game against AHP last year and seen it were IMG was whining to the refs about the physicality of AHP, but they do that to just about every home game refs when it's a good team that matches up well with them which was very rare in the regular season last season. AHP was by far the most physical team they played, they matched the IMG size which is very rare for a team to do and matched them in every other part of the game as well

IMG was the better team last year than AHP but AHP quickly took them out of there comfort zone and dictated the terms of the game on the IMG field.  Both teams appear to be slightly better this year so that would be one heck of a matchup at AHP!