3A Trinity Christian - Will they be unstoppable this season?

Proseteye

Why should AHP be in 8a?

Actually I believe every private school with more than 1000 in enrollment should be in 8a, that would include Tampa Jesuit, AHP, Bishop Moore, Cardinal Gibbons, STA.   Here's why I feel that way.  The purpose of classification is to create a level playing field based off enrollment.  The logic is that the more students enrolled, the larger the talent pool to draw from.   I feel that these private schools are compromising that very principle.  Here's why:  in 2013 my school played AHP in the 3rd round of the playoffs.  An article was posted on another web-site giving a preview of the game.  AHP had nearly 80 players on their roster, with more than 20 being recruited by division 1 colleges.  My team had 45 players with 4 being recruited.  Needless to say, we played a close first half then was overwhelmed in the second.  AHP cruised to a state title.  The next week they beat Lake Wales, the crushed Clay in the state title game.  I did a little research afterwards.  Almost all the public 5a schools in the playoffs that year - Hardee, Lake Wales, Immokalee, Clay, South Sumter - had similar size rosters and division 1 recruits.   So why does a private school like AHP have nearly double?  I could say the same thing with Bishop Moore and Jesuit in 2015.  To me they are the equivalent of an 8a program. 

Actually I believe every private school with more than 1000 in enrollment should be in 8a, that would include Tampa Jesuit, AHP, Bishop Moore, Cardinal Gibbons, STA.   Here's why I feel that way.  The purpose of classification is to create a level playing field based off enrollment.  The logic is that the more students enrolled, the larger the talent pool to draw from.   I feel that these private schools are compromising that very principle.  Here's why:  in 2013 my school played AHP in the 3rd round of the playoffs.  An article was posted on another web-site giving a preview of the game.  AHP had nearly 80 players on their roster, with more than 20 being recruited by division 1 colleges.  My team had 45 players with 4 being recruited.  Needless to say, we played a close first half then was overwhelmed in the second.  AHP cruised to a state title.  The next week they beat Lake Wales, the crushed Clay in the state title game.  I did a little research afterwards.  Almost all the public 5a schools in the playoffs that year - Hardee, Lake Wales, Immokalee, Clay, South Sumter - had similar size rosters and division 1 recruits.   So why does a private school like AHP have nearly double?  I could say the same thing with Bishop Moore and Jesuit in 2015.  To me they are the equivalent of an 8a program. 

That would be sound reasoning last year and back, but there is a set of new transfer rules in place now. We will start seeing the results of teams building programs that will be competitive with the Privates. I can see teams like Lakeland and Manatee returning to their previous days of dominance. Should be interesting. If it plays out like I think it will... you will see more of those that have it and a lot of those that don't. The talent will gravitate to the better athletic programs. It's the reason they change the rules and gave the Public school the new transfer rules, to level the playing field. The shame is that more teams will be hurt in the long run when their 3 and 4 star players transfer out.  

That would be sound reasoning last year and back, but there is a set of new transfer rules in place now. We will start seeing the results of teams building programs that will be competitive with the Privates. I can see teams like Lakeland and Manatee returning to their previous days of dominance. Should be interesting. If it plays out like I think it will... you will see more of those that have it and a lot of those that don't. The talent will gravitate to the better athletic programs. It's the reason they change the rules and gave the Public school the new transfer rules, to level the playing field. The shame is that more teams will be hurt in the long run when their 3 and 4 star players transfer out.

So teams with long history of winning will get transfers?

Its the ruin of high school football!  Especially small town high schools. 

Actually I believe every private school with more than 1000 in enrollment should be in 8a, that would include Tampa Jesuit, AHP, Bishop Moore, Cardinal Gibbons, STA. Here's why I feel that way. The purpose of classification is to create a level playing field based off enrollment. The logic is that the more students enrolled, the larger the talent pool to draw from. I feel that these private schools are compromising that very principle. Here's why: in 2013 my school played AHP in the 3rd round of the playoffs. An article was posted on another web-site giving a preview of the game. AHP had nearly 80 players on their roster, with more than 20 being recruited by division 1 colleges. My team had 45 players with 4 being recruited. Needless to say, we played a close first half then was overwhelmed in the second. AHP cruised to a state title. The next week they beat Lake Wales, the crushed Clay in the state title game. I did a little research afterwards. Almost all the public 5a schools in the playoffs that year - Hardee, Lake Wales, Immokalee, Clay, South Sumter - had similar size rosters and division 1 recruits. So why does a private school like AHP have nearly double? I could say the same thing with Bishop Moore and Jesuit in 2015. To me they are the equivalent of an 8a program.

I hear you but it's hard to see it that way when I see teams down hear that play the ahp' of the world n beat em...

The question was asked seriously, so I'll give the most serious answer I can provide.

I believe in 3A there are only 3 teams that have a realistic shot to beat JaxTCA on a neutral field and all 3 play in the south. Clearwater Central Catholic and Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna should be able to take JaxTCA to the 4th quarter with their teams this year on a neutral field, wither they gut out a win or not is another story, but at least the games would be competitive.  American Heritage is a bit more of a wildcard if they played JaxTCA. Of the three, I think Chaminade is the most talented, American Heritage the most experienced and CCC a strong blend of experience and talent.

I expect American Heritage and Chaminade to play at Chaminade in round 2.  Chaminade will be the favorite, but don't count the Stallions out- they've added enough pieces in the last month that they'll be ready come November. Since Region 3 hosts the Final 4 this year, the winner of Chaminade/American Heritage will travel north to Clearwater to play CCC on Black Friday. That pretty much sums up the south.

If we're speaking strictly class 3A North, then JaxTCA is really on cruise control until the state finals. In the region, they'll crush Pensacola Catholic in round 1 and then crush Taylor County in round 2. Yes, Trinity Catholic is improved, but look at that schedule. They'll beat AFA in week 1 by 25+, but then for the next 7 weeks they won't be favored in any of those games against those teams. Maybe they'll be a pick-em with Lake Weir. I think OTC will finish behind First Academy and travel to Tampa Catholic in round 1, where the result will be closer than last years 35-6 defeat, but still result in a loss to the Crusaders in round 1.

Regions 1 and 3 host the final 4 this year, meaning JaxTCA would host the final 4 game.  So, who are the teams they could play in the final 4? I'll look at the 4 teams that have a legit shot at being in the final 4 alongside JaxTCA in the North.

Tampa Catholic-  This is the likely favorite since they've played JaxTCA 2 of the past 3 years and bring the vast majority of their 2015 team back this year. They feature one of the top running backs in America in Sr. Devan Barrett, have a strong QB in Austin Sessums and 2 really strong WR/Corner's that just committed to Toledo in Bentlee Sanders and Darius Corrbett. They have some very strong up and coming Sophomores and they also benefited from some key transfers along the line. Still, JaxTCA matches up really well with Tampa Catholic. The Crusader defense is going to be better than last year, but not good enough to stop any offense that has 3 D-1 strong/speedy WR's and a strong defense. In other words, the Crusaders won't be able to stop JaxTCA from scoring 35 or more. Tampa Catholic will be hard pressed to score more than 2 TD's on the starting JaxTCA defense unless Devan Barrett has the game of his life. Barrett will also have to play both ways to slow down the JaxTCA run game.

Orlando First Academy-  They're a wing-t team that has benefited strongly from transfers in Orlando; however, their defense for the past few years has been atrocious at best. Even with their transfers, I can't see them being in the final 4 if Tampa Catholic is healthy. To beat JaxTCA you have to throw the ball at some point and I think if the Royals are throwing it means they're behind by 2 or more TD's. It's not what they're comfortable with.

Berkeley Prep- The Buccaneers are always a competitive, well coached team. This year, they have a strong QB in Davis Koetter (Dirk Koetter's son), a strong offensive line lead by Dylan Brown and Nicholas Petite-Frere and a physical front on defense. If they somehow made the final 4, they would be overwhelmed by the Conqueror speed. Berkeley just doesn't have the play makers to keep the game competitive for long unless Koetter is able to escape the box and run rampant.

Lakeland Christian- Believe it or not, the Vikings almost beat JaxTCA at JaxTCA in 2014. Coach Wayne Peace's Vikings played above and beyond the norm for them; however, this years Viking team doesn't have the pieces of the 2014 team. This is team squarely looking up at Tampa Catholic in the district this year. If this team made it to play JaxTCA it would be hard pressed to move the ball offensively, although I do hear good things about their transfer QB.

That's generally how I see 3A this year, but injuries happen. If Chaminade loses Henri Columbi or Shaun Shivers (even with Keondra White) they'll struggle, if CCC loses CJ Cotman, Amari Burney or Rashaad Stewart they'll struggle.  If American Heritage loses Alex Sincfield or Cameron Smith, they'll struggle.   Overall, I think we're all interested in how this class turns out as the top 5 teams truly are amazing to check out this year!

The question was asked seriously, so I'll give the most serious answer I can provide.

I believe in 3A there are only 3 teams that have a realistic shot to beat JaxTCA on a neutral field and all 3 play in the south. Clearwater Central Catholic and Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna should be able to take JaxTCA to the 4th quarter with their teams this year on a neutral field, wither they gut out a win or not is another story, but at least the games would be competitive. American Heritage is a bit more of a wildcard if they played JaxTCA. Of the three, I think Chaminade is the most talented, American Heritage the most experienced and CCC a strong blend of experience and talent.

I expect American Heritage and Chaminade to play at Chaminade in round 2. Chaminade will be the favorite, but don't count the Stallions out- they've added enough pieces in the last month that they'll be ready come November. Since Region 3 hosts the Final 4 this year, the winner of Chaminade/American Heritage will travel north to Clearwater to play CCC on Black Friday. That pretty much sums up the south.

If we're speaking strictly class 3A North, then JaxTCA is really on cruise control until the state finals. In the region, they'll crush Pensacola Catholic in round 1 and then crush Taylor County in round 2. Yes, Trinity Catholic is improved, but look at that schedule. They'll beat AFA in week 1 by 25+, but then for the next 7 weeks they won't be favored in any of those games against those teams. Maybe they'll be a pick-em with Lake Weir. I think OTC will finish behind First Academy and travel to Tampa Catholic in round 1, where the result will be closer than last years 35-6 defeat, but still result in a loss to the Crusaders in round 1.

Regions 1 and 3 host the final 4 this year, meaning JaxTCA would host the final 4 game. So, who are the teams they could play in the final 4? I'll look at the 4 teams that have a legit shot at being in the final 4 alongside JaxTCA in the North.

Tampa Catholic- This is the likely favorite since they've played JaxTCA 2 of the past 3 years and bring the vast majority of their 2015 team back this year. They feature one of the top running backs in America in Sr. Devan Barrett, have a strong QB in Austin Sessums and 2 really strong WR/Corner's that just committed to Toledo in Bentlee Sanders and Darius Corrbett. They have some very strong up and coming Sophomores and they also benefited from some key transfers along the line. Still, JaxTCA matches up really well with Tampa Catholic. The Crusader defense is going to be better than last year, but not good enough to stop any offense that has 3 D-1 strong/speedy WR's and a strong defense. In other words, the Crusaders won't be able to stop JaxTCA from scoring 35 or more. Tampa Catholic will be hard pressed to score more than 2 TD's on the starting JaxTCA defense unless Devan Barrett has the game of his life. Barrett will also have to play both ways to slow down the JaxTCA run game.

Orlando First Academy- They're a wing-t team that has benefited strongly from transfers in Orlando; however, their defense for the past few years has been atrocious at best. Even with their transfers, I can't see them being in the final 4 if Tampa Catholic is healthy. To beat JaxTCA you have to throw the ball at some point and I think if the Royals are throwing it means they're behind by 2 or more TD's. It's not what they're comfortable with.

Berkeley Prep- The Buccaneers are always a competitive, well coached team. This year, they have a strong QB in Davis Koetter (Dirk Koetter's son), a strong offensive line lead by Dylan Brown and Nicholas Petite-Frere and a physical front on defense. If they somehow made the final 4, they would be overwhelmed by the Conqueror speed. Berkeley just doesn't have the play makers to keep the game competitive for long unless Koetter is able to escape the box and run rampant.

Lakeland Christian- Believe it or not, the Vikings almost beat JaxTCA at JaxTCA in 2014. Coach Wayne Peace's Vikings played above and beyond the norm for them; however, this years Viking team doesn't have the pieces of the 2014 team. This is team squarely looking up at Tampa Catholic in the district this year. If this team made it to play JaxTCA it would be hard pressed to move the ball offensively, although I do hear good things about their transfer QB.

That's generally how I see 3A this year, but injuries happen. If Chaminade loses Henri Columbi or Shaun Shivers (even with Keondra White) they'll struggle, if CCC loses CJ Cotman, Amari Burney or Rashaad Stewart they'll struggle. If American Heritage loses Alex Sincfield or Cameron Smith, they'll struggle. Overall, I think we're all interested in how this class turns out as the top 5 teams truly are amazing to check out this year!

Great insight there

I believe in 3A there are only 3 teams that have a realistic shot to beat JaxTCA on a neutral field and all 3 play in the south. Clearwater Central Catholic and Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna should be able to take JaxTCA to the 4th quarter with their teams this year on a neutral field, wither they gut out a win or not is another story, but at least the games would be competitive.  American Heritage is a bit more of a wildcard if they played JaxTCA. Of the three, I think Chaminade is the most talented, American Heritage the most experienced and CCC a strong blend of experience and talent.

I expect American Heritage and Chaminade to play at Chaminade in round 2.  Chaminade will be the favorite, but don't count the Stallions out- they've added enough pieces in the last month that they'll be ready come November. Since Region 3 hosts the Final 4 this year, the winner of Chaminade/American Heritage will travel north to Clearwater to play CCC on Black Friday. That pretty much sums up the south.

Regions 1 and 3 host the final 4 this year, meaning JaxTCA would host the final 4 game.  So, who are the teams they could play in the final 4? I'll look at the 4 teams that have a legit shot at being in the final 4 alongside JaxTCA in the North.

Tampa Catholic-  This is the likely favorite since they've played JaxTCA 2 of the past 3 years and bring the vast majority of their 2015 team back this year. They feature one of the top running backs in America in Sr. Devan Barrett, have a strong QB in Austin Sessums and 2 really strong WR/Corner's that just committed to Toledo in Bentlee Sanders and Darius Corrbett. They have some very strong up and coming Sophomores and they also benefited from some key transfers along the line. Still, JaxTCA matches up really well with Tampa Catholic. The Crusader defense is going to be better than last year, but not good enough to stop any offense that has 3 D-1 strong/speedy WR's and a strong defense. In other words, the Crusaders won't be able to stop JaxTCA from scoring 35 or more. Tampa Catholic will be hard pressed to score more than 2 TD's on the starting JaxTCA defense unless Devan Barrett has the game of his life. Barrett will also have to play both ways to slow down the JaxTCA run game.

Orlando First Academy-  They're a wing-t team that has benefited strongly from transfers in Orlando; however, their defense for the past few years has been atrocious at best. Even with their transfers, I can't see them being in the final 4 if Tampa Catholic is healthy. To beat JaxTCA you have to throw the ball at some point and I think if the Royals are throwing it means they're behind by 2 or more TD's. It's not what they're comfortable with.

That's generally how I see 3A this year, but injuries happen. If Chaminade loses Henri Columbi or Shaun Shivers (even with Keondra White) they'll struggle, if CCC loses CJ Cotman, Amari Burney or Rashaad Stewart they'll struggle.  If American Heritage loses Alex Sincfield or Cameron Smith, they'll struggle.   Overall, I think we're all interested in how this class turns out as the top 5 teams truly are amazing to check out this year!

Chaminade @ Flanagan on 10/28 and hosting IMG on 11/5 will certainly get them ready for the playoffs but you hope Chaminade can stay healthy...

Chaminade @ Flanagan on 10/28 and hosting IMG on 11/5 will certainly get them ready for the playoffs but you hope Chaminade can stay healthy...

I hope chaminade can stay healthy after that IMG game, I have seen a lot of IMG games since their exsistence and some of their players literally are out their trying to put people out and with that being IMG 2nd to last game of their season I wouldn't put it past IMG trying to knock some of them guys out, it's sad but they get dirty sometimes

BrowardHandicapper,

You bring up a great point with Chaminade. When you look at their roster, it's star-studded with Shaun Shivers, Joshua Ali, Xavier Williams, Cody Watson, Henri Columbi and I even like the Uschool transfer Hunter Buckham at LB. Moose Coach has done a great job; however, the schedule he put together  is questionable at best. (the American Heritage Delray mid-season schedule is questionable as well btw).

By all accounts, the 3A/4A coaches that I've spoken with that have played IMG in the past few years have one re-occurring theme after playing them- the team isn't "right" for a week or so after playing them. Chaminade plays IMG on Saturday, November 5th at 1pm  and then will turn around and play Oxbridge/American Heritage essentially 5 days later.  Working in Chaminade's favor though is the fact that after the Flanagan game, they will get IMG and the first 2 rounds at home.

That said I have the utmost respect for what Chaminade is trying to do, and I truly believe that like most strong 3A schools their schedule (as well as AHD's) is a result of nobody but the national elite willing to play them.

There were many SFL locals that actually thought Hallandale had a good shot at upsetting AHP in the playoffs. The Hallandale/Bishop Moore game could have gone either way last year. If you like Offense it was quite a show. I think AHP, Hallandale, Bishop Moore were all very close last year. All were capable of beating one another. Think about it Bishop Moore lost to AHP the previous year (2014) by only 3. Hallandale was in foreign territory playing a Bishop Moore team that was 3 pts away from states ( assuming they get by underdog Tampa Jesuit) the previous year and had much more playoff experience playing at Home. Those 3 teams were close last year , it is just AHP reloads the easiest and has the more established name. Now this year I favor AHP, not necessarily because they are any better than last, just Hallandale is way, way down and Bishop Moore will be down a bit (but not out of the hunt).

Yup I remember, I never heard bishop morre name once on this board until they beat hallendale who beat AHP

First to address Columbiahighfanw2016 - If I remember correctly, last year I posted on this board that Bishop Moore, at home, was going to give Hallandale all it could handle. In fact, I think I ended up picking them to win by 3. 

Regarding the Bishop Moore program, under Matt Hedrick, a graduate of Mount Dora and Furman, the program has thrived. Matt has spent his entire coaching career there which has spanned over 20 years. Prior to 2014, they had won 7 district titles in a row (with records varying from 8-2 to 10-0 regular season). Unfortunately, till 2014, this was all for naught as they were usually out in the first or second round of the playoffs. This changed in 2014 when they came within a hairs breadth of beating American Heritage in the playoffs. Heritage went on to win the title in a rout of Godby.

In the 2014 season, Bishop Moore was the beneficiary of two things. First, Lake Mary Prep scrapped its football program at the conclusion of the prior year, and Bishop Moore picked up two or three impact players from it including Ray Lewis's son Rayshard. Second, over that summer Bishop Moore was the beneficiary of a couple key public school transfers. This paid off in spades in 2015 when they won their first title since 1970 (I believe). This upcoming year, they have again been the beneficiary of a couple D1 transfers from public schools in the area.

Bishop Moore is the only Catholic High School in the Greater Orlando area. The two nearest Catholic High Schools are in Daytona Beach (Father Lopez) and Santa Fe Catholic in Lakeland. As such, over the years, the schools has had talent from Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and the Northern part of Brevard Counties. This talent was solid, with many of them going to the Ivy Leagues and the Military Academies  (Belan Jesuit comes to mind), with a few going to D1 football schools. However, this talent was not sufficient or deep enough to make a serious run at a State Title. What has changed in the last thee seasons (including the upcoming one), is the influx of transfers. My take on BM is that they were always 3 or 4 key players away from being a perennial power. With the school now seeming willing to compliment its internal talent, we may be seeing the beginnings of a very strong football run over the next decade.   

First to address Columbiahighfanw2016 - If I remember correctly, last year I posted on this board that Bishop Moore, at home, was going to give Hallandale all it could handle. In fact, I think I ended up picking them to win by 3.

Regarding the Bishop Moore program, under Matt Hedrick, a graduate of Mount Dora and Furman, the program has thrived. Matt has spent his entire coaching career there which has spanned over 20 years. Prior to 2014, they had won 7 district titles in a row (with records varying from 8-2 to 10-0 regular season). Unfortunately, till 2014, this was all for naught as they were usually out in the first or second round of the playoffs. This changed in 2014 when they came within a hairs breadth of beating American Heritage in the playoffs. Heritage went on to win the title in a rout of Godby.

In the 2014 season, Bishop Moore was the beneficiary of two things. First, Lake Mary Prep scrapped its football program at the conclusion of the prior year, and Bishop Moore picked up two or three impact players from it including Ray Lewis's son Rayshard. Second, over that summer Bishop Moore was the beneficiary of a couple key public school transfers. This paid off in spades in 2015 when they won their first title since 1970 (I believe). This upcoming year, they have again been the beneficiary of a couple D1 transfers from public schools in the area.

Bishop Moore is the only Catholic High School in the Greater Orlando area. The two nearest Catholic High Schools are in Daytona Beach (Father Lopez) and Santa Fe Catholic in Lakeland. As such, over the years, the schools has had talent from Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and the Northern part of Brevard Counties. This talent was solid, with many of them going to the Ivy Leagues and the Military Academies (Belan Jesuit comes to mind), with a few going to D1 football schools. However, this talent was not sufficient or deep enough to make a serious run at a State Title. What has changed in the last thee seasons (including the upcoming one), is the influx of transfers. My take on BM is that they were always 3 or 4 key players away from being a perennial power. With the school now seeming willing to compliment its internal talent, we may be seeing the beginnings of a very strong football run over the next decade.

I must have missed it lol

It's true what you say. 3A TCA is a private parochial school that has about 550 to 600 students. 3A OTC is a private parochial school that has about 550 to 600 students. According to Maxpreps TCA has a roster of 71. OTC has a roster of 41. I'll let the numbers do the talking.