Idalia Impact (rescheduling/delays/cancellations)

Perspective

Might as well get this started.  It appears that (soon-to-be) Hurricane Idalia will make landfall somewhere on the Gulf Coast on Wednesday morning and then move quickly across the state through the Jacksonville area by early Thursday morning.   School closings in the Nature Coast area are imminent.   Many counties have a rule that prohibits after-school activities if school itself is cancelled.   I would expect to see school classes and activities canceled in Hillsborough and Pasco counties for Wednesday, for sure, and counties to the north and east (like Alachua, Marion and up into Duval) would be closed Wednesday and/or Thursday. 

Stay safe everyone. 

1 minute ago, PinellasFB said:

There are some Thursday Pinellas games that are in limbo right now since school is out today and tomorrow.

I hate when JV games get cancelled.  At least here in Hillsborough County, the JV teams only get to play 6 games and typically if a game gets canceled (for any reason), it doesn't get rescheduled.  Those kids are out there practicing just as much as the varsity kids, so I hate to see them have an already short season made even shorter. 

9 hours ago, Perspective said:

I hate when JV games get cancelled.  At least here in Hillsborough County, the JV teams only get to play 6 games and typically if a game gets canceled (for any reason), it doesn't get rescheduled.  Those kids are out there practicing just as much as the varsity kids, so I hate to see them have an already short season made even shorter. 

You and I agree on something, Perspective. Congratulations. Please stay safe and get through this storm. 

6 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

It’s so bright and sunny right now in Tampa. Not a drop of water and the trees are perfectly still. It’s 11:17 right now. Is there supposed to be some after effects we get hit with? 

I think you are good. It sucks for Taylor County, but the central part of the state dodged the bullet.

11 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

It’s so bright and sunny right now in Tampa. Not a drop of water and the trees are perfectly still. It’s 11:17 right now. Is there supposed to be some after effects we get hit with? 

I'm on the coast west of you and we've had wide spread bad flooding as well as squall after squall come through.  Entire Pinellas got hit hard so I'm guessing games have to be cancelled for Thursday.  Friday might still be a go but many roads are impassable still.

25 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Tampa likely will get hit with a few more passing bands (strong winds/quick showers), but the real issue will be the storm surge that comes with the early afternoon high tide.   That won't effect all of Tampa, but low-lying areas near water will get flooded.   Watch the news tonight and I'll guarantee you'll see folks kayaking, paddle-boarding and boating up and down Bayshore Blvd. 

15 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I'm on the coast west of you and we've had wide spread bad flooding as well as squall after squall come through.  Entire Pinellas got hit hard so I'm guessing games have to be cancelled for Thursday.  Friday might still be a go but many roads are impassable still.

PinellasFB, I'm not sure how things work across the bay in Pinellas, but here's the problem:  if you have that much flooding, the shelters will need to stay open.   Many areas use schools (especially high schools) as emergency shelters.  If the schools are being used as shelters, school gets canceled.   If school gets canceled, after-school activities often get canceled as well.  Domino effect.   Hopefully, that won't be the case, but I heard this morning that some places like Tarpon Springs were underwater (and there simply aren't enough sponges there to absorb all the excess water). 

2 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

It doesn’t have to be a blanket in u decision for everyone. At least it shouldn’t. 

Meaning north Hillsborough should go to school and East Pasco. 

Pasco for example, only has like two schools on the Gulf that I would understand closing tomorrow. But not the dozen other schools inland 

Agreed (I think).  :P

10 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

After the big hurricane in 2017, most to almost all games were made up on Monday, Tuesday, and even Saturday Nights, later in the season. Teams were willing to play two games in less than 7 days to make sure all games were played, even JV games. That should be considered again hopefully. 

Welp Pinellas county decided to continue with the sports schedule as planned, starting with football games tonight.  My son's team has to play a game tonight vs St. Pete with basically no practice.  SPHS is in the same boat.  I would've rather they had cancelled the game than play it with no preparation.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, Perspective said:

Tampa likely will get hit with a few more passing bands (strong winds/quick showers), but the real issue will be the storm surge that comes with the early afternoon high tide.   That won't effect all of Tampa, but low-lying areas near water will get flooded.   Watch the news tonight and I'll guarantee you'll see folks kayaking, paddle-boarding and boating up and down Bayshore Blvd. 

My daughter has lived on Bayshore Blvd since 2012. The water spillover was the highest she had ever seen. It did recede in her area enough to walk her dog a couple of times ( maybe on MacDill ?) before noon. High tide was 12:30pm. 

3 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

My daughter has lived on Bayshore Blvd since 2012. The water spillover was the highest she had ever seen. It did recede in her area enough to walk her dog a couple of times ( maybe on MacDill ?) before noon. High tide was 12:30pm. 

I am glad your daughter was only mildly inconvenienced by the water, Dan. Has she taken the exam, yet? Please wish her the best of luck for me.

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Dan when you are in Tampa you can stay at my house. Wait, are you the one who hates my guts, or is that @DarterBlue2 ? :P

Nolebull, hate's a pretty strong word. I'm thinking more  like  detest, despise, loathe,  intense dislike, and any number of words with similar meanings that can be found in a  "Roget's Thesaurus".   :)