RIP Apopka John

DarterBlue2

John Peery,

Former editor of the local weekly Apopka Chief, passed away today. John wrote all of the sports articles in the Chief, and was always on the sidelines of Apopka football games. And though he retired a year ago, he continued to write his articles and cover Apopka football from the sidelines. We last exchanged pleasantries at the Pancake Supper and Pep Rally before the Edgewater game three weeks ago. I ragged on him a bit for picking Edgewater to win by 7 points and suggested that the Darters could pull the game off. Little did either of us know the shellacking we were about to take.  

Last Friday John was on the sidelines when our kicker nailed a 43 yard field goal to win as time expired in dramatic fashion. John, who was am ample man, literally leapt for joy. 

Though I don't count myself as a personal friend, for the past 25 years, his weekly articles have been a  staple in my life. 

I am sure all Apopka fans will agree with me that John was the epitome of what it meant to be a Blue Darter. John graduated in the class of 1974, and his daughter graduated from Apopka several years after my two boys did over a decade ago.

I don't know if John ever posted on this message board, but he used to post on the old Florida Varsity Football Central board back in the day.  

In addition to Apopka football, John was an ardent fan of Tennessee football. 

He will be greatly missed. 

20 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

John Peery,

Former editor of the local weekly Apopka Chief, passed away today. John wrote all of the sports articles in the Chief, and was always on the sidelines of Apopka football games. And though he retired a year ago, he continued to write his articles and cover Apopka football from the sidelines. We last exchanged pleasantries at the Pancake Supper and Pep Rally before the Edgewater game three weeks ago. I ragged on him a bit for picking Edgewater to win by 7 points and suggested that the Darters could pull the game off. Little did either of us know the shellacking we were about to take.  

Last Friday John was on the sidelines when our kicker nailed a 43 yard field goal to win as time expired in dramatic fashion. John, who was am ample man, literally leapt for joy. 

Though I don't count myself as a personal friend, for the past 25 years, his weekly articles have been a  staple in my life. 

I am sure all Apopka fans will agree with me that John was the epitome of what it meant to be a Blue Darter. John graduated in the class of 1973, and his daughter graduated from Apopka several years after my two boys did over a decade ago.

I don't know if John ever posted on this message board, but he used to post on the old Florida Varsity Football Central board back in the day.  

Darter, it sounds like you can count him as a friend or, at the very least, an acquaintance.  Either way, my condolences for your loss. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Darter, it sounds like you can count him as a friend or, at the very least, an acquaintance.  Either way, my condolences for your loss. 

John, could have probably worked at the Orlando Sentinel or he could have ventured into the Tampa market and perhaps worked for the TBT. But instead, he plied his trade at the local, community newspaper. I suspect that he loved his job. In that sense his life was a happy one. For when one loves what they do, they are among the richest among us. 

ALL - I got the call this morning (while driving) and lost it when I was told John had passed earlier this morning. I am still emotionally raw on this. Apopka John was a great guy and an amazing colleague to all. It is not going to be the same anymore, not having all his updates each week from the Apopka football games. Will also miss seeing him on the sidelines when we cross paths for games or at the media days each year in Central Florida. This one will be very hard to let it all sink in for the next few days. Going to miss Apopka John greatly!

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

John Peery,

I am sure all Apopka fans will agree with me that John was the epitome of what it meant to be a Blue Darter. John graduated in the class of 1973, and his daughter graduated from Apopka several years after my two boys did over a decade ago.

What was his screen name on the Fla Varsity Football Central message board?  

14 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I have about 90 percent of the Apopka football results. Just missing a few early years but if anyone wants to know specific years results let me know 

If you had told me you were missing a few years a month ago, I could have probably gotten John to get them for you. He was a living encyclopedia when it came to Apopka sports. But maybe you had previously contacted him, and he was short a couple of year's results ...  

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If you had told me you were missing a few years a month ago, I could have probably gotten John to get them for you. He was a living encyclopedia when it came to Apopka sports. But maybe you had previously contacted him, and he was short a couple of year's results ...  

I think I’m only missing a few results from a few years here or there. Not the whole season. I believe Apopka’s first season was in the early 30’s. I’ll let you know what I got later. 

52 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I think I’m only missing a few results from a few years here or there. Not the whole season. I believe Apopka’s first season was in the early 30’s. I’ll let you know what I got later. 

There's a possibility that the missing games could be in the Apopka Chief's archives. 

Ok this is what I’m missing. Apopka’s first year was 1933. 

1936 Bowl game result vs Eustis (Apopka won)

1937 score against Ocoee (game played November 26th)

1940 score against Ocala

1942 only 3 results against Winter Park, Umatilla and Tavares. Not sure how many games they played this year 

1943 I have 7 scores. Not sure if that is all or they played more. 

1944 I have 8 scores. Not sure if that is all or played more. 

1946 I have 9 scores. Not sure I that is all it played more. 

Other than that I have everything from 1933-2023

6 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

1937 score against Ocala (game played November 26th)

1940 score against Ocala

1942 only 3 results against Winter Park, Umatilla and Tavares. Not sure how many games they played this year 

I will see what I can find out over the next few days. 

On 10/13/2023 at 1:30 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

It was either Apopkanewsguy or APKnewsguy. 

I agree with JamBun I believe it was APKnewsguy... Loved FlaVarsity back in the day. Some very knowledgeable posters. I think the last guy I talked to was Silver King... I know he posted here a few times but I had the feeling it wasn't the same for most of the posters from FV that came over here. 

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Did he also do stats for your area?

He did stats for all Apopka High sports. He was a wealth of knowledge and a mainstay on the Apopka sidelines for all our football games. 

While he never made big money working for the local weekly, I believe he lived a rich life doing what he truly loved. 

He will be greatly missed by the Apopka community. 

2 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I agree with JamBun I believe it was APKnewsguy... Loved FlaVarsity back in the day. Some very knowledgeable posters. I think the last guy I talked to was Silver King... I know he posted here a few times but I had the feeling it wasn't the same for most of the posters from FV that came over here. 

That message board still exists, but there is very limited participation. There are times when it is four or five days between posts, but I am very proud to be the 2022 Fla Varsity Message Board Poster of the Year! 

I attended John's funeral service last night. It was held at the Apopka High School auditorium, which in his case, was appropriate, since he was the voice of Apopka's sports programs. His family asked attendees to wear either Tennessee Orange or Darter Blue. Most people complied.

He got a nice turnout. The typical high school auditorium in Orange County public high school seats between 750 and 1,000. It's my estimate that Apopka's was over 60% full last night. Aside from the normal things that occur at a funeral, Apopka's Mayor, Brian Nelson, issued a formal proclamation on his behalf. Rather than have one individual deliver a eulogy, his consisted of: his wife, stepson and best friend since childhood, each sharing personal memories of the man and his life, some of which were touching and some funny. 

The event evoked both a sense of poignancy and joy at the same time. Sadness at the passing of an Apopka luminary, and joy and gratitude for the celebration of a life well lived. 

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I attended John's funeral service last night. It was held at the Apopka High School auditorium, which in his case, was appropriate, since he was the voice of Apopka's sports programs. His family asked attendees to wear either Tennessee Orange or Darter Blue. Most people complied.

He got a nice turnout. The typical high school auditorium in Orange County public high school seats between 750 and 1,000. It's my estimate that Apopka's was over 60% full last night. Aside from the normal things that occur at a funeral, Apopka's Mayor, Brian Nelson, issued a formal proclamation on his behalf. Rather than have one individual deliver a eulogy, his consisted of: his wife, stepson and best friend since childhood, each sharing personal memories of the man and his life, some of which were touching and some funny. 

The event evoked both a sense of poignancy and joy at the same time. Sadness at the passing of an Apopka luminary, and joy and gratitude for the celebration of a life well lived. 

Nicely put. It seems like he had impacted so many lives for the better. When they say you have to pay rent to get into heaven, that was his payment paid in full. 

On 10/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, nolebull813 said:

1937 score against Ocala (game played November 26th)

1940 score against Ocala

Where do you find out all of this information from?