OSCEOLA KOWBOYS 38 - TOHO TIGERS 0

Ray Icaza

I was hesitant to start this thread as this rout was to be expected and certainly not beating our chest over the win to clinch our 17th consecutive year earning a playoff berth by winning the district championship.  Rather it is to pile on to the FHSAA flawed ranking system as they had Toho HS at kickoff ranked 10 spots ahead of us.  Our All-State RB Taevion Swint played sparingly during the first part of the game as he got dinged up a bit last week at Mainland and sat the majority of the game allowing our backup RB's to inflict this beating at their place.  The TOHO all world QB (Sabby Meassick) who compiled over 3000 yards passing last year as a Freshman and has exceeded that number thus far this year as a Sophomore maybe threw for 100 yds and ZERO TD's which exposes the level of competition they have chosen to play to simply pad his stats which does him a tremendous disservice in growing as a player.  I am not throwing shade at the kid, rather his coach for his decision to play mostly cupcakes.  Especially focused on how extremely flawed these FHSAA rankings are for a lesser ranked team to put a beating on a higher ranked team at their place missing several key starters.  Truly is a joke. 

It appears that somebody tweaked the formula from last year where you were seemingly over-rewarded for a tough schedule without much regard to your actual W-L record.  It seems to have swung hard the other way where you are now overly rewarded for W-L record without much regard for the SOS.  I was hoping that things would level out after the midpoint of the regular season but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I have a simple solution for the rankings formula.  They took out winning margin to avoid running up the score so instead of that, why not do losing margin?  Clearly a 1-point loss to a great team is much better than a 50 point loss so this seems like compromise?  I know, dead horse...

Win gets us in, but without a doubt using the current rankings by FHSAA as an 8th seed in 4S - R3.  We aren't squawking about it though because our record is what it is regardless of SOS and look forward to whomever is our opponent in the first round.  I am not very good at deciphering how the brackets will play out but using todays rankings University HS in Deltona looks to be the #1 seed in our Region but not a district champ.  That would be Deland the #3 seed with Treasure Coast the #2 seed.  With one game remaining it doesn't appear that will change and if so I think we may get University at home in the first round.  Hopefully someone that understands how this works better than I can give their opinion.  

30 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Win gets us in, but without a doubt using the current rankings by FHSAA as an 8th seed in 4S - R3.  We aren't squawking about it though because our record is what it is regardless of SOS and look forward to whomever is our opponent in the first round.  I am not very good at deciphering how the brackets will play out but using todays rankings University HS in Deltona looks to be the #1 seed in our Region but not a district champ.  That would be Deland the #3 seed with Treasure Coast the #2 seed.  With one game remaining it doesn't appear that will change and if so I think we may get University at home in the first round.  Hopefully someone that understands how this works better than I can give their opinion.  

Ray, I think you're right.   If things stay the way they are and University is a 1 seed but not the district champ and Osceola is an 8 seed, but a district champ, the Kowboys should host the 1-round game.  

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

@Ray Icaza, @Perspective is spot on as things stand today. It's actually a very good draw for you as an 8th seed. Not a guaranteed win, but I don't think you will be playing the real # 1 team in the region. 

Agree, probably none of the top 3 with Treasure Coast, Deland, Heritage being in those spots.  Also would give us home field another plus with the lucky marbles although we would definitely be road warriors going forward if we do advance. 

2 hours ago, AllOsceolaCountyFB said:

Toho was a Fraud, has been. both years they start strong against weak teams and they pad their QBs stats with jet sweeps and tossing inside zone calling it a pass.  

Agree with you on Coach AirDiso wanting to pad his stats thru his QB aerial statistics, as I have previously stated.   Also feel they would have helped themselves by scheduling a bit more aggressively.  Do find it strange that though he has taken the same path as the Poinciana program when it comes to scheduling, TOHO IS A FRAUD while Poinciana is a program on the rise in your book.  TOHO has some very good pieces and needs to continue to build in the trenches, but against Poinciana they would probably fair well and if they didn't win it would certainly be competitive.  Just wondering if you still stand by your early season prediction that Poinciana would give Osceola a run for their money now that the season is winding down?  Seemed like lunacy then and more so now. 

poinciana doesnt have enough wins for a bowl game....even though someone said they had the best dbs in the county and the 2nd best qb and 2nd best rbs, 2nd best, 3rd best, 2nd best, best, in everything esle.  and said they would go 9 or 10 wins.....good for him his twitter was deleted.....

2 hours ago, h8r said:

poinciana doesnt have enough wins for a bowl game....even though someone said they had the best dbs in the county and the 2nd best qb and 2nd best rbs, 2nd best, 3rd best, 2nd best, best, in everything esle.  and said they would go 9 or 10 wins.....good for him his twitter was deleted.....

Our county was horrible in football this year, though I was pulling for all the schools to do better and for Poinciana to continue their upward trend.  I have great respect for their coach and what he is trying to do but these outrageous pronouncements by what I guess is a supporter had no basis in reality.  I am certain their expectations based on the schedule was to have another good season, but "S--T HAPPENS" and things went sidewise on them.  Hope Coach Beek continues the fight to raise his program as setbacks like this year can make you stronger going forward.  As far as the quality of the DB's in our county this other individual trashed ours because they had little varsity experience, most were undersized and young.  Against the schedule they have done a good job, getting better week in and week out considering the nucleus was mostly sophomores: JaMario Bradford, LaRenz Walker, Jakyri Watson, Tre Warren, Ryan Duval, Janari Lofton receiving significant playing time along with the other starters.  They will certainly be a strength going forward as the jump in production usually happens during the junior year.  We have not had the year we all wanted and expected this year but rest assured, we are not going anywhere as our coach says year in and year out.  PLAYERS CHANGE, EXPECTATIONS DON'T!!

My lofty Projections were justified in my opinion, the thing i had not foreseen is the issues that had plagued their program this year, Their best DB Went out early with a season ending injury. their starting running back suffered a season ending injury. their QB was playing injured for the whole season, since the Hardee county game he has been immobile. their Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator quit after the Hardee county game, Consequently having to move their OC to DC and Move their WR coach to OC. Currently Toho would beat Poinciana probably in a decent game, id say similar to Mulberry game Poinciana just had, which is probably going to be a playoff team in 2s, and Osceola currently would beat Poinciana by 40 They're not the same team they were going into the year, But word on the streets is there could be a possible regular season game with Osceola and Poinciana next season

45 minutes ago, AllOsceolaCountyFB said:

My lofty Projections were justified in my opinion, the thing i had not foreseen is the issues that had plagued their program this year, Their best DB Went out early with a season ending injury. their starting running back suffered a season ending injury. their QB was playing injured for the whole season, since the Hardee county game he has been immobile. their Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator quit after the Hardee county game, Consequently having to move their OC to DC and Move their WR coach to OC. Currently Toho would beat Poinciana probably in a decent game, id say similar to Mulberry game Poinciana just had, which is probably going to be a playoff team in 2s, and Osceola currently would beat Poinciana by 40 They're not the same team they were going into the year, But word on the streets is there could be a possible regular season game with Osceola and Poinciana next season

You are entitled to your opinion, like I am entitled to mine.  None of the players you mentioned that Poinciana has lost has a STAR next to their name though they were important and some of their better players.  Almost the entire year we have been without 2 4* in Taevion and Elijah along with several other injured players that are important to our team.  Both teams at any point in the season being at full strength, the game would be a blowout similar to the TOHO game as well as both teams currently not being at full strength would be a blowout.  I have no inside knowledge regarding scheduling, but based on our weak district I would be shocked if our coaching staff decided to schedule an additional game against Poinciana or any other opponent on their level next year.  Like I said at the beginning of the season, time will prove who was right.  Now we will wait till the schedule is announced for next year to again see who is right. 

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Send TOHO over to the Tampa Bay Area for a bowl 

Probably will have a tough outing vs Haines City this weekend and if they lose will end up 5-5, so not sure they would be interested in traveling there for a bowl game with that record but stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Probably will have a tough outing vs Haines City this weekend and if they lose will end up 5-5, so not sure they would be interested in traveling there for a bowl game with that record but stranger things have happened.

Never understood the reluctance to play a bowl game. It’s all positive. it gives your seniors one last game after missing out on the playoffs. And it gives the underclassmen an extra week of practice and game experience. 

I get some smaller schools are jumping into wrestling, basketball and soccer, but there should be at least enough interest for a decent amount of teams to play in one 

19 hours ago, AllOsceolaCountyFB said:

toho massacres poinciana, like 40+ point beat down.  osceola hangs a 50 burger in the 1st half vs poinciana.  id venture to say st cloud and harmony beat them down as well, 

osceola playing poinciana next year does very little to help them in their quest for the playoffs.  if the new system is in play with you dont have to play a district team, it really makes little sense to play them.  completely ruins their strength of schedule and the made up fhsaa rankings, which are pretty bogus.

New FHSAA rankings has moved Treasure Coast up to the #1 rank in our region, which is probably correct and since they won their district it now appears we will have to travel there for our first playoff game as opposed to getting home field.   It in turn then favors University HS out of Orange City as they will be awarded a home game as the #2 seed despite not winning their district.  It doesn't appear it can change after Friday's final games as TC has a bye and University has an easy outing against Deltona.  Does this appear to be the apparent scenario for our team for those of you willing to chime in. 

1 minute ago, Ray Icaza said:

New FHSAA rankings has moved Treasure Coast up to the #1 rank in our region, which is probably correct and since they won their district it now appears we will have to travel there for our first playoff game as opposed to getting home field.   It in turn then favors University HS out of Orange City as they will be awarded a home game as the #2 seed despite not winning their district.  It doesn't appear it can change after Friday's final games as TC has a bye and University has an easy outing against Deltona.  Does this appear to be the apparent scenario for our team for those of you willing to chime in. 

Unfortunately, yes. You now have a more difficult first game as you will have to travel. It would have been nice to be home. With that said, if Osceola is reasonably healthy, and the kids play their best game, beating Treasure Coast is attainable. 

36 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

The Rankings margin between TC and OC University is very slim, and normally a University win this Friday would be enough to overtake TC for the #1 regional seed.   However, that is counterbalanced by Deltona's horrible Ranking, which damages University's SOS component.   It's still up to the computer, but I think TC will hold on.  And University would probably prefer another game with New Smyrna Beach (41-7 victory first time) anyway.  Let the algorithms fall where they may, and good luck!