Coach J Vero Beach

Vero Indian

Serious question, do you all think that Coach Jankowski the HC at Vero could/would win a state championship if he were coaching in South Florida (Dade/Broward).....???

Before you answer think about it, in 2011 he took on the role as HC at Vero, (a struggling program that had a name but the previous coach didn't have an offense that could carry them late in the season.)

Since 2011, Jankowski has won 129 games at Vero, and even tho he hasn't cracked the final four yet, I think what's holding him back is the talent on the Treasure Coast, I honestly believe if he could takeover a Miami Central or St Thomas Aquinas, he would probably have multiple national championships with the amount of talent he has surrounding him and his very good play calling with schemes that he'll set up....I think he would also have a great bond with his players as well, coach/player bonding is an important key when putting a team together for success.

43 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Look, no disrespect to coach J. But I would like to compare him with Coach D at Deland. In two seasons he has Deland in a State semifinals. I don't think that VB's talent is in anyway inferior to what RD has a Deland. Could you be overselling coach J?

Well my measuring stick for J is when I seen him take a team that featured his son as starting qb to the third round of the playoffs in 2019, his son couldn't even throw 20 yards out but somehow coach J play book was able to get the ball into some talented wrs hands 

4 hours ago, Vero Indian said:

Well my measuring stick for J is when I seen him take a team that featured his son as starting qb to the third round of the playoffs in 2019, his son couldn't even throw 20 yards out but somehow coach J play book was able to get the ball into some talented wrs hands 

If his son could not throw 20 yards, why was he playing QB?

12 minutes ago, Vero Indian said:

He ended up with 23 td passes that season that's better than alotta qbs in Florida, I think you're under selling my coach.....

Are you telling me that in a school of about 3,000 kids there was no one that could accurately throw a ball more than 20 yards. I am going to be real with you. IF I am a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator and my son cannot throw 20 yards, he's not playing QB. If he was born into football and does not have that much ability, he either rides the pine or he plays full back, running back, wide receiver or safety or kick or punt. For VB, the QB position is way too important for him to play that position if what you say about his arm strength is remotely true. 

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Are you telling me that in a school of about 3,000 kids there was no one that could accurately throw a ball more than 20 yards. I am going to be real with you. IF I am a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator and my son cannot throw 20 yards, he's not playing QB. If he was born into football and does not have that much ability, he either rides the pine or he plays full back, running back, wide receiver or safety or kick or punt. For VB, the QB position is way too important for him to play that position if what you say about his arm strength is remotely true. 

Darter, I agree with you. 

That said, and knowing nothing more than what has been posted in this thread, I'll draw the following conclusions:

1.  If there was anyone else on the team that had better arm strength (very likely), they lacked the other qualifications needed to play the QB position (i.e., accuracy, leadership, decision-making, etc.). 

2.  The team was stacked in other positions, such as O-line, RB and/or WR.  It would not surprise me if the lion's share of those 23 TD passes were WR screens, swing passes to the RB's or other short pass completions with a lot of YAC. 

3.  Sons of coaches grow up around the game.  Kid was probably watching film with his dad by the time he was 8.  And while he may not have had the tools needed for the position, he had the moxie and knew the game better than anyone else on the field.   In short, he was a game manager.  A strong arm would have been a bonus, but it wasn't a necessity.

4.  With all that said, it is perfectly fair to be a critic of the kid's skills without demeaning the coach.  If anything, the coach figured out how to come up with schemes that were successful with a QB that had no arm strength. 

5.  Finally, while the dad may have been shown his ability to game-plan and play-call, his recruiting skills apparently leave something to be desired, which is why he probably wouldn't be successful in South Florida.  ;)

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Let that be a team from down south with poor coaching I guarantee you they wouldn't have gone that far

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Darter, I agree with you. 

That said, and knowing nothing more than what has been posted in this thread, I'll draw the following conclusions:

1.  If there was anyone else on the team that had better arm strength (very likely), they lacked the other qualifications needed to play the QB position (i.e., accuracy, leadership, decision-making, etc.). 

2.  The team was stacked in other positions, such as O-line, RB and/or WR.  It would not surprise me if the lion's share of those 23 TD passes were WR screens, swing passes to the RB's or other short pass completions with a lot of YAC. 

3.  Sons of coaches grow up around the game.  Kid was probably watching film with his dad by the time he was 8.  And while he may not have had the tools needed for the position, he had the moxie and knew the game better than anyone else on the field.   In short, he was a game manager.  A strong arm would have been a bonus, but it wasn't a necessity.

4.  With all that said, it is perfectly fair to be a critic of the kid's skills without demeaning the coach.  If anything, the coach figured out how to come up with schemes that were successful with a QB that had no arm strength. 

5.  Finally, while the dad may have been shown his ability to game-plan and play-call, his recruiting skills apparently leave something to be desired, which is why he probably wouldn't be successful in South Florida.  ;)

I agree on some of this but at the same time I feel yall are looking at the "Ceiling" that Coach J has been stuck at with Vero, but I beg to differ that I think he would atleast have one ring in Dade or Broward or even a runner up at the least

9 minutes ago, Vero Indian said:

I agree on some of this but at the same time I feel yall are looking at the "Ceiling" that Coach J has been stuck at with Vero, but I beg to differ that I think he would atleast have one ring in Dade or Broward or even a runner up at the least

I understand your position and, like I said above, I don't know enough about "Coach J" to form an opinion of my own.  Truth is, unless and until he packs up his bags and takes a position as a head coach in South Florida, none of us will ever know what he might have done or might could do.   Some coaches are just the right fit for where they are.  Could the same be said about Coach Castle?  Would he have had the same kind of success in South Florida as he had at Lakeland?  Who knows?

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

I understand your position and, like I said above, I don't know enough about "Coach J" to form an opinion of my own.  Truth is, unless and until he packs up his bags and takes a position as a head coach in South Florida, none of us will ever know what he might have done or might could do.   Some coaches are just the right fit for where they are.  Could the same be said about Coach Castle?  Would he have had the same kind of success in South Florida as he had at Lakeland?  Who knows?

I think they both would especially Castle

12 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If his son could not throw 20 yards, why was he playing QB?

Lol, he could throw further than 20 yards, he started only his senior season and sat behind more talented QB’s his other 3 years at the school. If Coach J wanted his son to play start at the position despite not having the talent to do so, he would have done it before his senior season. 

The fact is he was the best available player at the qb position that season, he obviously grew up in the system, playing on the freshmen and jv teams and as backup his junior year.  

He must of been capable enough to earn a D1 scholarship to Akron where he is still as a redshirt sophomore. Any thoughts of nepotism at Vero can probably stop at the high school level because no D1 program will waste a scholarship as a favor to a friend, they obviously saw something there or they wouldn’t have extended the offer. 

58 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Lol, he could throw further than 20 yards, he started only his senior season and sat behind more talented QB’s his other 3 years at the school. If Coach J wanted his son to play start at the position despite not having the talent to do so, he would have done it before his senior season. 

The fact is he was the best available player at the qb position that season, he obviously grew up in the system, playing on the freshmen and jv teams and as backup his junior year.  

He must of been capable enough to earn a D1 scholarship to Akron where he is still as a redshirt sophomore. Any thoughts of nepotism at Vero can probably stop at the high school level because no D1 program will waste a scholarship as a favor to a friend, they obviously saw something there or they wouldn’t have extended the offer. 

He was a better leader than Aronson, atleast Jankowski would scramble instead of taking a sack

1 hour ago, Vero Indian said:

He was a better leader than Aronson, atleast Jankowski would scramble instead of taking a sack

After watching this year, I would rather have a bunch of guys with no stars that came up through Vero’s system together than a bunch of 3-4 star transfers who are just there to fill out their recruiting tapes.

I’m just old school I guess, I would rather see a bunch of kids play their hearts out and lose than a bunch of guys who win but look like they don’t want to be out there…

44 minutes ago, Drogo said:

After watching this year, I would rather have a bunch of guys with no stars that came up through Vero’s system together than a bunch of 3-4 star transfers who are just there to fill out their recruiting tapes.

I’m just old school I guess, I would rather see a bunch of kids play their hearts out and lose than a bunch of guys who win but look like they don’t want to be out there…

I feel ya 

I gonna get in the mix a tad......

Coach J is a good football coach!

But he is not a GREAT football coach and I think that is what is needed to win state championships!!

Same with TC coach....

Longtime legend coach at Vero, Billy Livings once said... "you can't coach to get to the playoffs, you coach to get THROUGH the playoffs!!" He did win state championships in Alabama and Vero.