Coaches In South Florida need to get paid more

coach28

I coach in the south florida area and the stipends need to go up. This is why their are on average over 100 head coaching changes in football alone in this state every year. I think if your a head football coach you should get a stipend of 10k a year and assistants should get 4-5k a year. Im not saying pay coaches like they do in Georgia and texas which alot make over 80k to 100k a year but 10k on top of your teaching salary would be nice.

BROWARD (24 high schools: Boyd Anderson, Blanche Ely, Charles Flanagan, Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Gables, Coral Springs, Cypress Bay, Deerfield Beach, Dillard, Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale, Hollywood Hills, McArthur, Miramar, Monarch, Northeast, Nova, Piper, Plantation, Pompano Beach, South Broward, South Plantation, Stoneman Douglas, Stranahan, Taravella, West Broward, Western)
Athletic Director: $4,490
Football: $3,038
* assistant: $2,169
Swimming (boys and girls): $2,761
Basketball: $2,604
Flag football (girls, varsity and JV): $2,366
Volleyball (varsity and JV): $2,366
Baseball: $2,169
Softball: $2,169
Soccer: $2,169
Track and field: $2,169
Wrestling: $2,169
Golf (boys and girls): $1,579
Tennis (boys and girls): $1,579
Water polo (boys and girls): $1,579
Cross country: $1,185

DADE (38 high schools: American, Braddock, Carol City, Central, Coral Gables, Coral Park, Coral Reef, Cutler Bay Academy, Edison, Felix Varela, Ferguson, Goleman, Hialeah, Hialeah Gardens, Hialeah-Miami Lakes, Homestead, Killian, Krop, MAST Academy, Miami Beach, Miami Jackson, Miami Senior, Miami Springs, Mourning, Norland, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Northwestern, Palmetto, Reagan/Doral, South Dade, South Miami, Southwest Miami, Southridge, Sunset, TERRA Environmental Research, Washington, Westland Hialeah)
Athletic Director: Full-time position
Football: $4,749
* assistant: $2,164
Basketball: $2,946
Baseball: $2,946
Softball: $2,946
Soccer: $2,946
Lacrosse: $2,946
Swimming: $2,946
Track and field: $2,946
Volleyball: $2,946
Wrestling: $2,946
Bowling: $1,700
Cross country: $1,700
Flag football (girls): $1,700
Golf: $1,700
Tennis: $1,700
Water polo: $1,700

PALM BEACH (23 high schools: Atlantic, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Forest Hill, Glades Central, John I. Leonard, Jupiter, Lake Worth, Olympic Heights, Pahokee, Palm Beach Central, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach Lakes, Park Vista, Royal Palm Beach, Santaluces, Seminole Ridge, Spanish River, Suncoast, Village Academy, Wellington, West Boca Raton, William T. Dwyer)
Athletic Director: $4,915
Football: $4,110
* assistant: $3,015
Basketball: $4,110
Baseball: $3,275
Lacrosse: $3,275
Softball: $3,275
Soccer: $3,275
Swimming: $3,275
Track and field: $3,275
Volleyball: $3,275
Wrestling: $3,275
Cross country: $2,185
Tennis: $2,185
Bowling: $2,185
Golf: $1,925
Weightlifting: $1,925

To be honest, I wear ballers and a t-shirt to work every day. Yeah we put in long hours with the teaching and coaching thing but waking up every morning wanting to go to work is kinda cool. More pay would be great but you wont hear me say a thing. More pay may mean I have to wear kakis and a polo shirt. That would suck!

To be honest, I wear ballers and a t-shirt to work every day. Yeah we put in long hours with the teaching and coaching thing but waking up every morning wanting to go to work is kinda cool. More pay would be great but you wont hear me say a thing. More pay may mean I have to wear kakis and a polo shirt. That would suck!

Agree that there are intangible benefits to coaching that many jobs don't provide. However, in the real world of commerce in which coaches must survive, the pay, or lack thereof, means many must find other means to support their families. It should not be so. But then again, one could make a very good argument that from top to bottom, for the most part, teachers in the state of Florida get a raw deal across the board.

Agree that there are intangible benefits to coaching that many jobs don't provide. However, in the real world of commerce in which coaches must survive, the pay, or lack thereof, means many must find other means to support their families. It should not be so. But then again, one could make a very good argument that from top to bottom, for the most part, teachers in the state of Florida get a raw deal across the board.

Its high school athletics and a person is naive to think that they can support their family only on the supplement given to them from coaching. So yes you need a job that provides an income to support your family. Most coaches are teachers and the coaching job goes hand in hand with the teaching job. I have a wife and two kids and the benefits of the career I chose greatly affect my family in a positive way. I cannot bring my kids to school when I teach but they are around when I am coaching. They are able to be involved and see the benefits of hard work and structure. Once football season is over I coach wrestling and once again my kids are involved. This is unlike most jobs in the world where you can't have your family be a part of something that is as positive as high school athletics. I could complain about the pay but to be honest we live very comfortable with our income from teaching and coaching. I have received offers to coach at the next level and turned them down because the pay and the job is not always what it seems. I am with my family during all holidays and get the summers off from teaching. What other profession can say that? College coaches are on the road more than they are at home during the off season. A 9 to 5 job is year round and I would likely go crazy if I sat behind a desk for 40 hrs a week. I will say it again, it is great to wake up in the morning and want to go to WORK!

agree 100%

Heres what you do

Miami Dade

Football Graduation Rate - Non football Grad Rate = x

Annual earnings HS grad - earnings non hs grad = y

x * y = annual value added to socity from football

could take a step further by adding stats for kids going to college for football

divide the number by the number of coaches and give it to your school board.... theres a number (real) on a school by school basis OR on a countywide basis

i just laid it out for you. find the numbers and you have a very plausible argument for funding.

Heres what you do

Miami Dade

Football Graduation Rate - overall Grad Rate = x

Annual earnings HS grad - earnings non hs grad = y

(earnings in terms of annual earnings)

x * y = annual value added to society from football

could take a step further by adding stats for kids going to college for football

divide the number by the number of coaches and give it to your school board.... theres a number (real) on a school by school basis OR on a countywide basis

i just laid it out for you. find the numbers and you have a very plausible argument for funding.