FHSAA Student Population Report

181pl

12 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Idk how Madison would be dropping in enrollment 

They only high school in county so they not losing pull to other schools 

That's not true they have a charter school located next to the high school and all of the honer students go there. Thats how they loophole the count for classification placement. If you add the enrollment numbers of the charter school to MC they would be over 900. Of course the charter school kids are allowed to play sports at MC if they choose to do so with out affecting the count  

This is a good point; however, if they play 8th graders (and they historically have)- then that class needs to be taken into consideration. When I see anything over 800 and in class 3A, that's a red flag. I could somewhat understand if there was a travel issue, but they already play Uschool who would be in their 4A region. 

Student Population reports are only 9-12. 

Name of charter school is James Madison Preparatory High School, the school according to their website has 191 students. Yes students at this school could play at Madison County High School, but charters are given pretty much free range in in terms of where they want to set up thanks to our state legislature. Now any students-athletes from JMPHS would have to go towards Madison County's numbers.  

I would also say that they are playing a dangerous game regarding school grades if JMPHS is siphoning away their "honor" students. Long term, the school district could end up in a situation like Jefferson County where a private company comes in. 

2 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Student Population reports are only 9-12. 

Name of charter school is James Madison Preparatory High School, the school according to their website has 191 students. Yes students at this school could play at Madison County High School, but charters are given pretty much free range in in terms of where they want to set up thanks to our state legislature. Now any students-athletes from JMPHS would have to go towards Madison County's numbers.  

I would also say that they are playing a dangerous game regarding school grades if JMPHS is siphoning away their "honor" students. Long term, the school district could end up in a situation like Jefferson County where a private company comes in. 

I have been hearing that is a 2 edge sword but I also hear the enrolment is up quite a bit over the last 2 to 3 years. I am not saying that MC is wrong in doing what they are doing I was just giving my opinion on how the count works. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerfan1 said:

I have been hearing that is a 2 edge sword but I also hear the enrolment is up quite a bit over the last 2 to 3 years. I am not saying that MC is wrong in doing what they are doing I was just giving my opinion on how the count works. 

Wow so they really should be 4a

4 hours ago, Tigerfan1 said:

That's not true they have a charter school located next to the high school and all of the honer students go there. Thats how they loophole the count for classification placement. If you add the enrollment numbers of the charter school to MC they would be over 900. Of course the charter school kids are allowed to play sports at MC if they choose to do so with out affecting the count  

There is a rule in place that if you are at a school in county that doesn't have athletics you can be eligible for playing at a school within a reasonable distance from the school

Basically a technical way to lower enrollment 

59 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Can you deny anything being said? 

and this whole thread is why we have a very watered down system and 8 classes (way too many) and 4 classes with very few teams in it because people complain over population and cry so and so are too good and have too many kids and we can't compete with them.  I'm not saying anyone here is crying but trust me plenty are crying Madison has too many kids.  Pahokee is not one of them.  

We had 4 classes from 1968 to 1984  Can anyone with knowledge tell me how many teams about where in each class?  Was it evenly distributed or did the small classes have less teams?  and about how many?

We had 5 classes from 1985-1998 Same questions (there was a 6A but no 1A back then)

We had 6 classes from 1999-2002

We had 7 classes from 2003-2004

We have had 8 classes since 2005  We went from 5 classes to 8 classes in 7 years.  I can't imagine we got that many more schools.

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Schools out there gone far deeper to win games before then this

That may be the case with some other schools but not in our case.  I have lived here my whole life.  I love my town and school but we are struggling educationally.  The charter school was created because some parents wanted another option for their kids.  This is a fact.  It had absolutely zero to do with athletics.  If anything, it has hurt the public school even more by taking funding away from the lost students.  Also, the kids that went the charter route are not football players.

Looking at this thing, I think we only need 6 classes. A lot of these schools on here probably don't play football and some of the others, probably at least 50 to 100 are probably in those little conferences that don't compete for class championships on the FHSAA level.