High School Football America Top 100 preseason poll

MC Rockets

Good morning Gents and any ladies on the board,

The first high school ranking of the year was released yesterday. The state is represented pretty well. A few surprises and head scratchers, but hey...preseason polls are a crapshoot and this poll is computer based. The one that stands out the most to me is, Carol City not making the list even in the top 150. They have one of the top QB's and RB's in the county and maybe state. The defense will be solid too. They are my early favorite for 6A. It will be between them and Central for the district I believe. MNW lost their all-world QB to graduation, so I don't expect much offensive production from them. Defense will be good though. As far as my Rockets. I'm not sold on the QB...At all!!! RB's and WR's will be really good, even with the losses to the transfers. OL will be better, especially with big baby getting into the rotation. If you don't know who he is, just check out what he did a few weeks ago to this one kid at a camp at Cardinal Gibbons...it went viral. Even ESPN played the clip on their Twitter page. So without further delay, here's the rankings and you all can form your own opinions...

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/high-school-football-america-preseason-100/

44 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

Good morning Gents and any ladies on the board,

The first high school ranking of the year was released yesterday. The state is represented pretty well. A few surprises and head scratchers, but hey...preseason polls are a crapshoot and this poll is computer based. The one that stands out the most to me is, Carol City not making the list even in the top 150. They have one of the top QB's and RB's in the county and maybe state. The defense will be solid too. They are my early favorite for 6A. It will be between them and Central for the district I believe. MNW lost their all-world QB to graduation, so I don't expect much offensive production from them. Defense will be good though. As far as my Rockets. I'm not sold on the QB...At all!!! RB's and WR's will be really good, even with the losses to the transfers. OL will be better, especially with big baby getting into the rotation. If you don't know who he is, just check out what he did a few weeks ago to this one kid at a camp at Cardinal Gibbons...it went viral. Even ESPN played the clip on their Twitter page. So without further delay, here's the rankings and you all can form your own opinions...

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/high-school-football-america-preseason-100/

Metro area representation:

Los Angeles-8

Atlanta-8

South Florida-7

Dallas-5

Houston-4

Cleveland-4

Cardinal Gibbons has impressive talent, but like I have said about Chaminade, am hesitant to call them a top 100 team until they can convincingly beat top-flight competition.  Over the past couple of years, their "quality" wins were Chaminade(2016), Deerfield Beach(2016) and Rockledge(2017).  They narrowly won each of those games, ie 7 points of less.  Arguably, none of those teams was close to being national Top 100 teams.  In 2016, 6 of the 9 teams CG beat had losing records.   

Their close battles against American Heritage have been very impressive, no doubt.  Not to take away from those wins, but they have played them 4 times over the past couple of seasons, so it has given them a good chance to figure them out.  They may well be deserving of a top 100 spot.  Am just uncertain.  I remember how Chaminade was ranked high at the beginning of last season and loaded with talent and got clobbered by Central.   

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Cardinal Gibbons has impressive talent, but like I have said about Chaminade, am hesitant to call them a top 100 team until they can convincingly beat top-flight competition.  Over the past couple of years, their "quality" wins were Chaminade(2016), Deerfield Beach(2016) and Rockledge(2017).  They narrowly won each of those games, ie 7 points of less.  Arguably, none of those teams was close to being national Top 100 teams.  In 2016, 6 of the 9 teams CG beat had losing records.   

Their close battles against American Heritage have been very impressive, no doubt.  Not to take away from those wins, but they have played them 4 times over the past couple of seasons, so it has given them a good chance to figure them out.  They may well be deserving of a top 100 spot.  Am just uncertain.  I remember how Chaminade was ranked high at the beginning of last season and loaded with talent and got clobbered by Central.   

They also rebounded and got stronger as season progressed

Also don't forget they did beat Miramar who put 44 points on sta

Against Chaminade they put i think 13 points 

The 2018 version of Chaminade is much better than the 2017 version to me based on the fact that coach Jones has a year under his belt at CM. Remember, last year CM fired their OC about halfway through the season- that's when they program turned around and lived up to expectations.

I see the 2018 version hitting the ground running.

2 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

The 2018 version of Chaminade is much better than the 2017 version to me based on the fact that coach Jones has a year under his belt at CM. Remember, last year CM fired their OC about halfway through the season- that's when they program turned around and lived up to expectations.

I see the 2018 version hitting the ground running.

I believe it, Jessica.  But unless they have gotten much deeper,  I am still not sure how well they would hold up against a much larger school (in classification) that is very physical.   Central absolutely manhandled them in the trenches.   

5 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Venice being ranked is funny as hell they lose 30 seniors 

While I don't believe in rankings as they do not represent a teams ability every Friday night, Venice is not garbage either. 

True they are not the same team. They do seem to win some games year in year out. 

33 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Ah yes, the poll that put all 7A final four teams (including Bartram Trail and Plant) over the 8A champion last year in the end-of-year poll... 

Some people just like making lists... pass.

Dr Phillips would have beaten plant and bartram trail by 14 points at least 

3 hours ago, 941football said:

While I don't believe in rankings as they do not represent a teams ability every Friday night, Venice is not garbage either. 

True they are not the same team. They do seem to win some games year in year out. 

I'm not say they garbage I just think they gone be like Dwyer in 2014 they had just won states came back to Vero and only returned their QB but guess what he ain't have no receivers to throw to or no back to run that ball deep it looks like Venice lost their QB and WR tandem pretty similarities between the two teams losing quite a bit from state title teams 

8 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Thank you for much needed insight here.

9 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

It made no objective sense. Maybe if 7A was leaps and bounds ahead of 8A but that was not the case.

Anyway, one easy screw up like that and I lose all faith in one’s ability to do all 50 states.

Sufficient resources are not put into these rankings for them to be meaningful, particularly at this stage. They are a nice curiosity and stir debate, but that is all, really.